Power loading ramp?

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
oldwing1100
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
2004 Gl1800A

Power loading ramp?

Postby oldwing1100 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm looking for input about power loading ramp systems for getting your motorcycle up into the back of a pickup truck.
Has anyone used or owned one and how well does it work?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Power loading ramp?

Postby themainviking » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 am

There is this one

http://rampagelift.com/

and then a ramp system that you ride your bike up:

http://www.discountramps.com/loadall-ra ... oadAll-V3/

I kinda like the ride up ramp system.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

oldwing1100
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
2004 Gl1800A

Postby oldwing1100 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, the ride up one looks interesting but at my age and diminished agility I think I''ll go with one that keeps my feet on the ground.

TearlessTom
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby TearlessTom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:46 pm

I have one of the ride up ones and love it. However it is best to have a spotter when going up or down. I put an additional 3/4 inch sheet of plywood in the truck bed that extends over the tail gate. Because I have a 6 foot bed and 8 foot sheet of plywood I cut the last 2 feet off giving me a 2ft X 4 ft sheet that I adhered to the other sheet down the middle which gave me a 2 foot wide area of 1 1/2 inch which is more than enough to handle the weight of the bike and redistribute in along the rest of the 4x6 foot sheet. So this keeps the weight off the tailgate and distributes it to the truck bed.

When not in use I just shove the plywood forward and it fits and fills the bottom of the truck bed and is left there. The ramp breaks down into 3 sections which are just shorter than the width of the bed so they are stacked in the front of the bed and secured with bungee cords. That way I always have the ramp with the truck in case I ever break down all the wife has to do is to bring me the truck. I don't foresee that ever happening but it could.

I then painted it with yellow and black stripes like you see for road work or a landing strip with a yellow 1 foot wide section down the middle that helps me guide the bike to its wheel lock in the front of the bed. I did this as it is hard to see where you are going due to the faring on the bike. You can look down at the front wheel and know your position in the truck.

I have loaded and unloaded it enough times that I no longer have concerns about doing it myself.

But to answer your question I have been looking into modifying the system with a Harbor Freight Winch system. They often put there 1500-2500 lb wench on sale for less than or right at $100. They are remote controlled as well. Affixing the wench to the front of the truck bed or to the plywood using a pully system to move it to the side you could then winch the bike and walk it up to balance it with no problem at all. Unloading would be done in reverse with a nice slow controlled movement.

Total cost would be approx $600 vs $3000 for the dedicated ramp which will also take up your entire bed on a permanent bases.

It is just an idea I have been kicking around but it may work for you to or at least it is a 3rd alternative.

Tom

Return to “Product Reviews”