Battery Tender Jr.

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
ImpactBattery
Motorcycle: Wife Won't Let Me Ride Until The Kids Are Grown (She's an ER Nurse)

Re: Battery Tender Jr.

Post by ImpactBattery » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:50 pm

ram11397 wrote:Not sure about those two items i use different brand altogether mind works great, but to the person or persons that say i use yada yada and nothing else i just have this statement i found :)

“There is a principle which is a bar against all informa -
tion, which is proof against all arguments and which can-
not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—
that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
—Herbert Spencer
That is a good word sir!

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah you are right, all I was trying to do was a comparison of the battery tenders in the real world . Just got carried away.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a battery charger/tender for less than $20. When I bought my 1500 Goldwing in November, I was told it would probably need a new battery pretty soon.
Since I bought my charger/tender, I've noticed it starts better and spins over a little faster.
It's working for me but I can't say how it will work in the long term. However, if I only get a couple 2 or 3 years out of it, I'll go back to Wally World for a new one.
For my purposes, I just can't see spending 2 or 3 hundred $'s for a battery charger/tender.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 pm

I got a new Battery Tender Jr., and realized that they have drastically changed the design. The old unit was a transformer-based unit, similar to the "wall warts" found up to ten years ago. It used a transformer, which is a coil of wire wound around a ferrite core to magnetically reduce the power from the 120 volts found in your wall socket, to the 13.8 volts required by your motorcycle's battery. The problem with transformers is that they are bulky and large.

Around ten years ago, switching power supplies began to appear in power adapters. Switching power supplies have been around for a long time - they're ubiquitous in computer power supplies. Your phone charger is a switching power supply. The big difference with switching power supplies is that they do not require a transformer: the power conversion is done with electronic components, which are far more efficient, less wasteful, and much smaller than old-style transformer power supplies. You'll notice transformer power supplies waste energy as heat, whereas switching power supplies rarely warm to the touch.

The new Battery Tender Jr. uses a switching power supply - and the difference is immediately noticeable. It is much smaller, MUCH lighter, and has a narrower case:

New Battery Tender Jr - back - new one on the left
New Battery Tender Jr - back - new one on the left

New Battery Tender Jr - side - new one on the left
New Battery Tender Jr - side - new one on the left

I have just plugged in this new unit and will watch its performance over the next few months. If I see any problems, I'll report back! Being a Battery Tender however, I don't expect to have any issues at all.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 pm

I have about 6 of the new ones and 5 of the old ones, the only downside I have found to the new units is that they do not seem as impervious to noise on the 110 volt supply. Our main power line to the house was struck by lightning, it damaged a few items, but every one of the new battery tender Jr’s failed. All the older units are still working fine, so whilst it’s not a big issue, I prefer the older units just because they seem more robust than the new units. As battery tenders the new ones work fine.

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm

thrasherg wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 pm
I have about 6 of the new ones and 5 of the old ones, the only downside I have found to the new units is that they do not seem as impervious to noise on the 110 volt supply. Our main power line to the house was struck by lightning, it damaged a few items, but every one of the new battery tender Jr’s failed. All the older units are still working fine, so whilst it’s not a big issue, I prefer the older units just because they seem more robust than the new units. As battery tenders the new ones work fine.

Gary
That's funny...because the reason I bought the new one is because a nearby lightning strike took out the old one in the picture above. Along with a cable modem and a radio. I have five of the old ones, now I have four old ones and one new one.

Very understandable though that a lightning strike could easily kill the switching power supply inside the new one.