Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Nokia HERE App for Android

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Many years ago, I had what was probably the first GPS mapping application for a smartphone. The phone was my Palm Treo 650, and along with a Bluetooth-connected GPS module and an aftermarket application with a couple hundred megabytes of maps loaded onto a memory card, it did a fair job of working as a reliable GPS.

Today, every smart phone has multiple GPS mapping options, Google Maps being among the most popular. While I still prefer standalone GPS units, many people rely on their phones for GPS mapping ability.

The main problem with using applications like Google Maps for GPS is that they are reliant on your data connection. If your data connection drops, or you move into an area with no data coverage (of which a very large percentage of the United States applies), your mapping application suddenly stops working and leaves you lost.

Google Maps has a very limited ability to download maps for offline use, however they are limited in that you cannot store much area, and you cannot use the maps for GPS navigation.

Famed phone manufacturer Nokia has released a new alternative, and they have named it HERE. HERE has many of the same features as Google Maps, with one big exception: You can download maps for offline use, to allow you to use your phone to navigate where there is no cell signal whatsoever. The best part? HERE, the maps it uses, and all the map updates, are FREE.

Here is available for Android phones only (sorry Apple users, Apple won't allow this type of application in their app store. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your selection of phone) in the Play Store: Nokia HERE

Once the app is installed, you are presented with a map of your current location, just like Google Maps does:
Standard GPS mode
Standard GPS mode

You can switch this view to "satellite" mode and zoom in on your house if you like
Satellite view is also available
Satellite view is also available

Moving to the options menu allows you to select it to work in offline mode, without a data connection
Option to allow you to use the application offline
Option to allow you to use the application offline

You can download maps either to your phone's internal memory, or to an SD card, to save your phone's memory. You can also download only the maps you need, in order to save memory: in this case I have downloaded several states (and Bermuda). Maps for over a hundred countries are available - and they're all free! If you need room, you can delete them and re-download them in future.
Downloading and updating maps is easy and free
Downloading and updating maps is easy and free

When in navigation mode, the angle can be adjusted from flat to overhead view, or anywhere in between, as you prefer.
GPS route mode takes traffic into account
GPS route mode takes traffic into account

Searching for a destination, you can tell it to navigate by road, by transit, or walking. If you have a data connection, it will download live traffic data, show any problems on the map, and use the traffic information to make an accurate ETA.
Map view can be adjusted
Map view can be adjusted

You can adjust the mapping options to avoid certain parts of the route; for instance, if you don't want to travel on any unpaved roads, you can deselect that box and it will route around them.
Navigation options
Navigation options

Standard GPS navigation mode works just like any GPS, and the turn-by-turn voice instructions are loud and clear (you can download different voices if you don't like the one it comes with). You can rotate the screen sideways if you wish. You can also scroll the screen upwards to reveal a printed set of driving and turn instructions.
Standard map aka Google Maps
Standard map aka Google Maps

The navigation system can also be set to warn you if you are exceeding the speed limit. Another feature allows you to view three-dimensional maps of large shopping centers and buildings, to allow you to actually navigate around inside the building. On the motorcycle, clip your phone onto your handlebars and let it take you where you need to go. While you're at it, you could purchase a GPS Input Device, plug it into the headphone jack of the phone, so that you can hear the spoken directions over your intercom.

Overall, it seems to be a very solid, functional GPS mapping application, and the price is definitely right!

Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Nokia HERE App for Android

Postby Mh434 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Wow, good stuff! I have an iPhone, so, to have full functionality without burning up gigs of data, I ended up buying a not-inexpensive :shock: GPS app with device-resident North America maps.

I've been hoping someone would do this! With luck, a version for i-devices will come out!

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 pm

I repurpose older android phones and tablets.I can purchase small tablets for under $30 and phones are bout as cheap.
My wife has upgraded a few times to larger phones,leaving 2 or 3 nice androids in the junk box.I got one in the truck...makes a cool heads up display...
Thinking about integrating a couple of 7 inches on the wing...Maybe one for maping,another for music...then there's the spedo.

Probably not....I guess I just want to ride...a digital dashboard that looks like a Lear jet instrument panel would be .....well...Too much.

Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Time to download....thank you very much ;)

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:15 am

Nokia HERE is the replacement for Microsoft Streets and Trips, which has been discontinued, after the 2013 Version. There are some other Android phone and tablet Mapping apps that do not rely on your data plan, but instead take info from the satellites themselves. They work alright, but do not have extremely accurate maps. The Nokia HERE on the other hand is quite good.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Return to “Product Reviews”