New Nolan N-Com B5 on Helmet N44

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Peer64
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100D

New Nolan N-Com B5 on Helmet N44

Postby Peer64 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm

After 2 months driving without being able to answer my telephone or listen to my favorite music, I decided to buy the new Nolan N-Com B5 on my Nolan N44 helmet.
I drive a beautifull GL 1100 1982 but it has no on-bike communication system.
So I wanted a system undependant from the bike and with bluetooth technic.
Untill the B4, Nolan systems only could cummunicate with there own brand. That's history now.
I'll recieve the package tomorrow by DHL so I'm very exited about how it looks, installs and performs.

I'll keep you all updated.

Peer64

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: New Nolan N-Com B5 on Helmet N44

Postby redial » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:03 am

And how have you found the system?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Peer64

Postby Peer64 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:28 pm

I promissed to keep you all update about my new Nolan N-Com B5 for my N44 Helmet.
It has been two weeks now so it's about time I keep my promisse.

The package was perfect dilivered on time as could be followed on the tracking system from DHL.
The whole set, inclusive the helmet, is shown on the first picture.

The B5 with installation and users guide.
The B5 with installation and users guide.

Surprisingly the installation and users guide was only in German.
For me as living 10 kilometers of the German border it's not that difficult. I grew up with the language, but for others it could be a problem to read and understand.
However you can download a version in your own language on the site of Nolan N-Com B5. It is easy to find it on the site. I downloaded a Dutch version to be sure I wouldn't make any mistakes.

Before installing the B5 I removed the chin-bar and the face shield to prevent from damage.
Remove the chin bar
Remove the chin bar

remove the face shield with the easy click system at the helmet
remove the face shield with the easy click system at the helmet

Both attaches removed
Both attaches removed

Now you have to remove the inner soft shell from the helmet.
There is a little strip on the front site wich holds most of it in place.
Unrip it an click the rest of the shell loose from the outher shell.
front strip on the soft shell
front strip on the soft shell

I removed it completely so I also had to pull the chin strap (I don't know a better word for it now) through the soft shell. But it is not really nessesary to do so.
Pull the chin strap through
Pull the chin strap through

remove N-Com cap on back of the helmet
remove N-Com cap on back of the helmet

remove the screw with the included tool
remove the screw with the included tool

Wil be followed up in the next reply for I can't insert more foto's but that's more likely my problem being a new kid on the block.
Last edited by Peer64 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peer64

Postby Peer64 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Part two:
Take off the rim of the helmet
Take off the rim of the helmet

In the helmet there is a space pre-installed for the headphones.
In the helmet there is a space pre-installed for the headphones.

Take out the foam
Take out the foam

Don't throw away the foam parts, you can replace them in case you wil use the B5 for an other helmet.

loosen the cap at the left side off the helmet where the contact-unit will be placed.
loosen the cap at the left side off the helmet where the contact-unit will be placed.

Put the battery in the space at the back of the helmet
Put the battery in the space at the back of the helmet

Like this
Like this

Now comes a bit tricky part;
The two parts sticking out of the battery pack is the antenna.
Watch out and be extra carefull as there are very thin an can brake in a blink of the eye.
When I put in the battery it seems it didn't fit so good.
Next picture shows why.
It just doesn't fit so good
It just doesn't fit so good

The foam rim in the back of the helmet had to come out too.
Foam rim has to come out to
Foam rim has to come out to

After that the battery fits perfect and the clamp sits perfect on the helmet.
Replacing the foam ring is not easy to do.
I had to modify the foam ring and cut it in half to fill up the open spaces besides the batterypack.
Be very carefull putting the antenna into the rim of the helmet.
They are so thin that they can easily break, wich happend to me.
Hopefully a friend of mine can connect them together again.

The rest is simply fit and click, everythings is measured out and has his own place wich you can't miss.
As you can see in part three.
Last edited by Peer64 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peer64

Postby Peer64 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Okay part three;

So click and fit:
click the unit in place
click the unit in place

right headphone including the microphone boom
right headphone including the microphone boom

The microphone boom is attached to this part and can simply be clicked in a special mount in the helmet.
close up fixing the microphone boom
close up fixing the microphone boom

Replace everything in reverse order.

B5 on the helmet
B5 on the helmet

front right look, you can see the streamline of the B5 unit
front right look, you can see the streamline of the B5 unit

Since the battery is delivered fully charched you're now ready to start.

I have seen instruction films on another helmet wich took 5 minutes to install.
Well that is for the advanced bikers.
As a starter in all of this it took me about an our to fix it completely.
That was mostly because I wasn't familiar with the construction of my helmet.
Therefore I must say that installing the B5 was good to do and simpel even for a greenhorn as I.

Working with the B5 contains mostly by learning where to push and for how long.
That is quite a list.
I started with using the Phone and FM radio.

Connecting wich your Phone is easy; activate Bluetooth on your Phone, be sure the B5 is off and your Phone is on, than press the 'on' button on the B5 for 4 seconds(you will hear a beep every second) and it will start the search for your Phone. A nice voice confirms the connection and you're on.
You can see the lights flashing; it goes to far to explane all that here.

When you are being called while riding, press the on-button 2 seconds and you can talk. The sound is clear and loud enough and good to hear.
You can preset 6 numbers. Press the N-button for 2 seconds (remember: you will hear a beep every second), a nice voice ask you wich number to choose, answer short and clear 'one' an preset 1 will be dailed.

The B5 comes with an app for both Iphone and Android.
You can also download an installation program from the Nolan N-Com website, aswell the firm updates.
I found out that all these only works when the B5 device (attached to your helmet) is connected.
That I found mostly not very user-friendly to do.
You cannot get your device off the helmet wich is good on the road, but not while trying to install your favourites.
In the app you can preset 6 telephonenumbers and several other things as radiostations and loudness of the headphones.

At the moment I have only at the left headphone the sounds.
I am not sure if I missed something at the instalation or if there is a problem with the device.
While replacing the inner shell I was a bit to exited and forgot to watch out for the antenna.
So I broke one of them. I don't know if that is the problem for not having a stereo sound but that I will find out soon.

Sofar the B5 works fine for me.
I haven't driven around with some friends to try the bike to bike connection.
N-Com B5 gives a 500 meter range in open terrain without any obstacles.
That woudn't be such a problem in many area's in the states or down under but in my tiny, little, busy, full-builded holland it can be a problem. We will see about that.
You can hook up with 6 bikers max with the 'friends' configuration on the app or the N-Com wizard.

There a 2 features that I like too on the B5;
You do not have to put it off and on the whole time, it's shuts itself down after 30 seconds out of use and automatically flip on when you pick up your helmet.
And ones installed and connected with your friends it coneects automatically the next time with the same friends.
That saves a lot of work every time you want to ride and you don't have to install everythings over again after a nice lunch during a summer ride.
Well then, sofar my experience with the N-Com B5 on my N44 helmet.
As soon as I tryed the other features you will hear from me again.

redial

Postby redial » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 am

Peer, thanks for your excellent write up of this helmet feature. I have two question, "How is the battery recharged, and obviously how long does it last, say listening to music for 90% of the time and speaking for about 10% of the time." Thanks.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Peer64

Postby Peer64 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:15 am

Hey Len,
thanks for your comments and questions.

As you can see on foto 1 the package comes with an USB cable and a loading device.
Remove the N-Com cap on the back of the helmet as you can see on foto 7 in part one.
Simply connect the usb cable and loading device ( I don't know the technical term for that) put the device in the outlet and the loading starts.
A blue light is flashing on the B5 unit and lights up continuously when fully loaded.
When you hook up the B5 to your computer or laptop, it will load also automatically.

After I installed the B5 I tried some of the features and to be sure the battery wouldn't die on me on the maidentrip I loaded it compleet.
I put the B5 manually off and it took a full week before I could go for a ride.
The battery lasted for the whole trip but it wasn't a long one.
So I haven't been able to drive along a whole day or so.
But on the N-Com website a time of 7 ours continu use is written if I remember well.

The B5 shuts itself down in standby mode after 30 sec not being used.
After 7 days it shuts itself completely down. Of course you can shut the B5 down manually by holding the 'on' button for 4 sec.
When you want to use it after say 2 months, you must load the B5 first because the battery doesn't last that long of course.
It is than posible that you can't start up the B5 because the battery hasn't reached his minimum level to run the B5.
Just wait for an our and you can start up the B5.

In the app on your Phone you can see how far the battery is loaded and a voice tells you that you have for one hour battery left. This anouncement will be repeted every 10 minutes.

How long the battery last is to be experienced by yourself; the users guide gives me no info about that.
It depence if you are using a navigation in combination with the FM radio etcetera.
(the radio shuts down automatically when the navigation voice tells you what to do and both keep quiet when the phone rings.

There is an extra AUX entry, so you can hook up an external mp3 device for your music, it saves battery for the long trips.
The batteries are exchangeable so you can switch batteries during holidays every day.
You need to unscrew the back rim for that.

I do have one more tip:
In the users guide you'll find a matrix with an overview of the commands and basic configurations.
Take a picture with your smartphone so you have it always with you when you're on the road.
More info you can find on http://www.n-com.it (you can change language if neccessary)

Well, still a whole story for not a complete answer to your questions, but I hope it helps you anyway.

Greetings,
Peer

redial

Postby redial » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks Peer, you covered it very well. And thanks for spending the time to explain the battery side of it as well.
Len in Kapunda

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 am

Very well done write up, Peer. I'll never be able to afford that setup but enjoyed reading your review. Good job.

Peer64

Postby Peer64 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 am

You're welcome spiralout.

I forgot to mention that for a Goldwing with a communicationsystem on board, Nolan profides a cable to connect it with your B5.
So you can still use all the features of your bike.

I drove to work yesterday and used the FM radio. I didn't charge the battery since the first time I opened the box.
It hasn't give me the message to reload the battery till now. Not bad.....
I still do have only one site sound, I have not figured out yet why it isn't stereo.
I let you know if I have.

greetings
Peer

Peer64

Postby Peer64 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:36 pm

In my last reply I hadn't found out why I just had only sound on my left headphone.
I would let it now if I had.
Well sometimes the solution is as easy as it get's.
In the N-com program on my computer at the main page there was a button called 'single' checked 'on'.
No further explanation.
I wore my helmet because I was adjusting some features of the app.
I told before that you could only do that while the B5 is connected. (wich if find not so handy)

So I pushed on the 'single' button (now checked 'off') and hey......there was my stereo sound!!!

I also have 2 remarks on my earlier explanation of how B5 works:

In part three I talked about some sort of vioce command on the preset numbers.
The Sena 20S has such a voice command and according to the film on you tube it works perfectly.
So I assumed it was also on the B5.
As I only had one preset number installed, B5 automatically chose that number regardless if I was talking or not.
When I got another number on preset two, suddenly voice command didn't work at all !!??
That was a misunderstanding by me.

Now this is how it works:
In the app on the telephone and the computer, you can preset 6 numbers.
In the app on your Phone you can press on one of those numbers, it will be dailed and you can talk through the helmet-microphone so you don't have to put off your helmet.
You can also press the button voice in the app and then you have voicecommand for those 6 numbers.
So it uses the voicecommand on my Iphone and not on the B5, a huge difference.

To you, Len, I said that the B5 would shut down in standby mode after 30 sec 'not being used'.
That must be: when 30 sec not being moved.

The B5 has a motion sensor.
As long as it detects movement (riding your bike for instance) B5 is active.
Put your helmet off while having a pause, it wil shut down automatically after 30 sec.
When you put your helmet on after the break, B5 automatically turns on and all your connections will be re-connected.
That also applies for the bluetooth connect wich your devices.
Once installed, B5 finds them automatically when turned on.

And for the AUX connection you have to buy an extra cable wich is to be connected at the same place as you load the B5 battery.
There is also a special cable for Goldwingbikers to have all the features of your on-bike communication centre and the B5 for bike-to-bike connection, for instance.
All to be found on the N-com website.

Okay, that's it for now.
First I want to ride this summer.
Next winter I want to sort out the electric system.
I see a lot of wires in the left compartment en something of an audio connection in the right compartment.
I am curious what I wil find and how it is all connected.
By that time we'll meet again.

Greetings
Peer

Return to “Product Reviews”