• Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Dynaplugs (MotoPumps) Mini Pro Inflator

Postby Mh434 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 pm

A few days ago, I had the misfortune of having a flat rear tire (down to 12 psi) while out for a ride with my local GWRRA chapter. My first clue was that the center stand was touching down on turns...my second was that, when we stopped to check it, the bike would barely balance on the side stand!

Thankfully, one of the other riders had a Dynaplugs Mini Pro Inflator pump with him, and in short order, my tire was back up to full pressure & we were able to ride home. As it happens, a "sticky rope" repair had started to leak - looks like something punched it right in the middle, and pushed it aside enough to start leaking. I could HEAR the hissing - always a bad thing. Of course, I'd already ordered a new rear tire - none in stock in this area - but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll be changing the tire as soon as the new one gets here, and having the old one professionally repaired, to keep as a spare, as it is less than 10% worn. Figures, right? :roll:

Anyway, the Dynaplugs pump is a little marvel! It's only 4 3/4" X 6" X 2", has a rectangular gauge (which seems to be quite accurate, by the way!), plugs into 2-pole trailer-style connectors OR into a cigarette lighter (I have several of these on board), and includes sports ball & inflatables tips, as well as the no-leak brass screw-on tire connector. Lots of power cord (almost 9 1/2 feet), a coiled 3'+ pressure hose (which stores internally, as do all the tips, cords, and connectors) and a built-in LED work light. Even the gauge is backlit!

It draws 72 watts (max 6 amps), weighs just over 18 oz., and has a 30 minute duty cycle without cool-down. We ran it off another 'Wing (engine off) and it didn't draw enough juice to affect it's engine start. It's claimed to pump up a fairly large motorcycle tire in 7 minutes and, if my experience is anything to judge by, that's pretty accurate. Max pressure is 50 psi, which is ideal for a GoldWing.

These are designed specifically for motorcycle & ATV use, rather than being a re-purposed or re-packaged car item.

I was so impressed with this little package that I ordered one myself that night. It just arrived (Amazon.ca), and again, I'm very impressed. It's a solid, weighty, compact unit that appears to be far superior in design and construction to any of the other 'portable' pumps I've come across. It has now joined my flat-repair kit in permanent residence in my saddlebag.

For those who carry flat-repair stuff, this might be a wise addition...

**By the way - for all the Canadians out there, I don't know what's up with Amazon.ca these days, but I LIKE IT!!! I ordered this pump on Sunday evening, and it arrived today! Used to be that Amazon stuff took a week (or two) to arrive, but recently orders have been arriving in less than 36 hours, with FREE shipping!!. Fantastic!!

barrettmusicman1
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Goldwing 1800 ABS (love of my life)
1983 Goldwing Interstate 1100 w/sidecar (rebuilding for my mom to use)
2014 Honda CTX 1300 (traded in on 1800)
1997 Honda Magna (SOLD)

Re: Dynaplugs (MotoPumps) Mini Pro Inflator

Postby barrettmusicman1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm assuming this would also work to fill the air shocks?

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Yes, it would...BUT...it put out a lot of pressure, and pretty quickly. You'd want to "burp" it in, little at a time, to be safe. In bikes that I've had without onboard compressors, I've used a suspension pump (basically, a small bicycle pump with a pressure gauge attached).

barrettmusicman1
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Goldwing 1800 ABS (love of my life)
1983 Goldwing Interstate 1100 w/sidecar (rebuilding for my mom to use)
2014 Honda CTX 1300 (traded in on 1800)
1997 Honda Magna (SOLD)

Postby barrettmusicman1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:37 pm

The pump you are describing is very helpful if you do not have an onboard compressor to fill your rear shocks (on the 83 wings you need the bicycle style hand pumps with a gauge or you will blow out your seals) :D :D
In regards to your flat tire, I have carried for years a on the road tire repair kit which is a tool to clean the hole, install a glue and a small gun that inserts a rubber plug into the tire that will hold air until you get home or a replacement. My 99 1500 has a onboard compressor and I purchased a $15.00 hose that will inflate up to 60 psi, I have used it on car tires and it takes a while but get the job done. HD (bike tires) takes about 15 min from flat to ready to ride. :D :D

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 pm

MH434, I would have thought your 97 had the air compressor hook up in your right saddle bag?? :D :D

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 pm

It does, indeed, and it works great. I have an extension hose for it, too. However, I've read that pumping up tires with it, except in a real emergency, is not a good idea, as it puts a huge load on it...and the cost (and trouble) of replacing it far exceeds the cost of a portable unit like the Dynaplugs, which is specifically designed for the job. Plus, the Dynaplugs unit is MUCH faster to use, and has an accurate and visible gauge.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from using their onboard unit for pumping up their tires - but this was the rationale behind my purchase of the Dynaplug pump (plus, I've done it both ways - the portable unit was way faster!).

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:40 pm

I can't answer the problem you described as fact, I have only used my system 6 or 7 times over the 16 years of ownership and most have been with cager tires. No problems to report. Still working fine. Your wing and your alternative solutions too the situation at hand is your decision. Good or bad you have to live with the results. Penny wise and dollar foolish bye not using what is available for free, buy purchasing something extra and having to install a port to run this wonderful devise seems to me a waste of monies no matter which part of the world you live in. If you do not have a repair kit on board is also your decision. :D :shock:

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:06 am

I didn't have to install a port - the bike came with 3 already. I also travel with a sticky-string-plugs repair Kit.

In the incident I described in my original post, above, I tried my onboard compressor first, with the extension hose. The pump's volume was so low thatIt it wasn't pumping in faster than air was coming out of the leak. One of the other GW riders had a Dynaplug pump, it only took a couple of minutes to bring the tire right up, and I was able to ride on, stopping once at a gas station to top up the tire.

If you think I'm foolish, well, so be it. Having been in a situation where the onboard pump couldn't do what I needed it to do taught me something. With any luck, you won't find yourself in a similar situation. IMHO, the Dynaplug pump is cheap insurance.

YMMV...

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:31 am

Sorry didn't intentionally mean to imply you were foolish, your post didn't state you had onboard alternative resources which would temporarily resolve your air leak in your rear tire nor did you advise you had a temporary repair kit on board your bike to assist you and your party to the next repair site. Regardless of this conversation I am glad you and everyone evolved is safe and the final results are sisfactory to your expectations. :D :D

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks! We're leaving on a 3-day Blue Knights trip on Friday morning - busy doing all our packing now. My wife now has a brand new rack bag from WingStuff to pack her stuff in, leaving me both saddlebags - that's a nice change! Normally, I get, well, about 2/3 of one saddlebag for all my stuff :roll:

That rack bag is REALLY big!

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Sounds like a nice trip, have fun and ride safe. It sounds like you and your bride probably have a trailer in your future for long trips? :D :D

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:44 pm

We do have a really sweet trailer, and really wanted to use it, but elected not to take it on this trip (we plan on using it on longer trips, for sure!). As we're riding in a group, and none of them are used to riding with a motorcycle trailer in their midst, I'm a little concerned as to how well they'd deal with it (not all of them are terribly seasoned riders).

Once we've arrived we'll feel a little left out, though - members of other chapters will be there, too, and many of them will be bringing their trailers (and love to show 'em off!), as they ride as a group with trailers all the time. As mine is unusual, I'd like to show it off too, but I suppose the safety of our group has to take priority.

I'm hoping to take it on shorter trips with our group, just so they can get used to maneuvering around it, leaving more room, etc., so that we can take it on future, longer rides.

Of course, my wife loves the idea of having the trailer along!..."Look, dear, a beautiful wing chair for sale!!" :roll:

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:52 pm

LOL on the wing chair. :lol: :lol: I understand about dealing with unseasoned riders, you could bite the bullet and stay in the back of the pack that way you could show off your tailer :lol: :lol: somehow I think you are the pack leader so that will not work, have a safe and pleasant trip. :D :D

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks!!

Now, if only the weather will hold out for just a few more days (last year, going through the mountain passes in pouring sleet & rain at freezing temperatures was, well...miserable)!! LOTS more rain gear on board this year (heated grips on 'er, now, too).

wingman12

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Cold rain and sleet are not what I would call "having a good time" defiantly need hand warmers and good rain gear. I wish you and your troop a sunny and warm ride this year. :D :D

Return to “Product Reviews”