• Sponsored Links
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Seats

Postby toanogreen » Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 am

I'm sure they are out there somewhere, but I'm looking for reviews on seats. I've seen pictures of Ultimate, Saddleman, Travelcade, and Corbin. I haven't seen too many actual seats that I could sit on and try to compare.
Which is the best in terms of comfort, price, durability, style, etc.? Are there any stores that I can go to see and sit on to compare? I've seen some online on eBay and other sites. I don't want to buy one and be disappointed.

thanks

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Seats

Postby themainviking » Wed May 20, 2015 8:24 am

Easy for you this year. You can go to Wing Ding right down there in Huntsville, Alabama on Sept 3-6, this year, and try them all. The topic is so subjective that for everyone who has a favorite seat, like myself with Ultimate, or my buddy with Corbin, which I cannot stand - we would be of very little help. Everyone who has bought an aftermarket seat, if they like it, will recommend it. Other than Wing Ding, if you need it before that, find a large rally such as Americade, or Laconia, or the Reno Ride. They will have them all on display. A custom seat is as individual in comfort as each butt that sits on it.

Another thing I did not mention tho... A Corbin seat for a Goldwing and a Corbin seat for a Valkyrie are not the same in comfort. I loved the one on a Valkyrie, but hated the Goldwing version. I cannot speak about the other brands in comparison, as I have not tried them. I would think the same comparison values might hold true for different models of the same bike as well - Ergo: GL1500 compared to GL1800.

Sorry it ain't much help, but it is just the truth.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 am

Agreed - asking which seat is the best is like asking which music is the best: it's subjective.

Myself, I love the Corbin seat on my GL1500. It's supremely comfortable for me, I have ridden 20+ hours straight on it, and still not been sore. Others find them too firm. I find that I get sore on overly plush, soft seats after only a couple of hours.

You can try various different seats at Wing Ding or other bike conventions. The problem is, a seat that feels great for the five minutes you spend sitting on it on the show floor, might have you screaming for mercy after an hour on the road. The only way to really know for sure is trial and error.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:58 am

I have to second what 'themainviking' states. I think his idea of going to WingDing is perfect. I do not know of any where else you could try several different seats at the same time. I would imagine they will already have them mounted on demo Wings. Maybe not, but it seems to make sense considering it is WingDing and they want to sell seats. I have had Corbin and Mustang, besides stock seats. Each had its good and bad. I have never found a seat that works for me for 500+ mile day. However, my stock F6B seat with a back rest, has come close.

Take care and good luck!
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:27 am

I also like the idea of waiting till Sept and going to Wing Ding and checking out the seat vendors. As well as many other venders selling farkles and such, keep a good hand on your wallet.

One seat supplier that probably will not be there is Russell Day Long Saddles. They are a little more expensive but they build the seat for you based on your size, weight, length of legs and of course your choice of fabrics and related goodies. You have to supply them with your old seat pan and other info and from that they build the seat for you. See: https://www.day-long.com/

I would also suggest you compare after sale support. If you like the seat and then do a lot of riding any seat foam will eventually wear out so the question I would ask is how much to rebuild the seat 10 years down the road.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Wed May 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Had a new Hartco on my 1500 and for the money I paid it would be pretty tough to beat.The wife wouldn't even get off when I fueled up it was that good.

I'd even go so far as to say that it's a bit more comfortable than the Corbin I have on the 1800 although the heat makes up that bit of difference.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

rlsmith2592
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800 goldwing

Postby rlsmith2592 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:58 am

I had a diamond seat on my 1500 it was wonderful so when I got a 1800 I put a diamond on it not so good. and it was very pricey. It is not much better that a stock seat.

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

Postby captdecker » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:41 pm

I have a Saddlemans seat on GL1500 would pass on getting an other one seat ordered from Chrome World took over 6 weeks to get (they were waiting on the material to cover the armrest. Showed up with out the heat as ordered was and other 4 weeks to get. Finally got on and was to high (they were to make it for my short legs). They did not want to fix, called Chrome World they reminded them they have a 72 hour return.(at my cost) An other 4 weeks. Came back on the hard side. The passenger seat back rest cover did not cover the whole seat leaving about a inch gap (good thing same color) all round it. The rest for driver had and air cushion in it that stopped holding air after just a few months. Found out why when I had to recover in just two years. Was made with long pop ribits to hold to the peace that goes into the main seat that wore a hole into the air bag, also no mater how tied the bolt was it still fell forward ever time I got off. ( added spring to keep it up) Seat had to be recovered with in two year. I live AZ in the pines but still as that AZ sun beating down . Had cloth seat that expected to last at least 5 years no way. (Good thing I keep the seat that came with bike) as once again took a long time to get done. Though in there favor they replaced (free) the peace that goes in between the rear seat and back rest as it is only heald in with Velcro. Lost the first one twice (was told my a driver that it had come off, was able to get back) second time not so lucky. Now about 4 years later the (no cloth this time) stiches are showing big time wear.

Some must of had better luck with them as they are still in business but not me.

SFCret
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby SFCret » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:52 pm

I had a Hartco seat on my 1500, and was more than satisfied with all aspects of the seat, so I bought another for my 1800. Mark Hart is the owner, and knows how to build a seat. He took my order over the phone, and asked for height, weight, and inseam measurements for me and my wife. I'm 6'1" and 260 lbs, while my wife is 5'7" and 125 lbs, so Mark said that he would pour different densities of foam for the two of us (thicker for me, softer for her - and the difference is noticeable). I mentioned to him that it felt to me like I was cramped for space on the bike and that my knees were almost hitting the fairing vents, so he said that he would cut my seat to allow for some additional room; and that is also noticeable. The best recommendation from Mark was concerning the backrest for my wife. Since we bought the 1800, my wife had complained that any size bump that we hit would jar her tailbone, to the point that she almost didn't want to ride anymore. Mark explained that he could make her backrest so that she would sit in a more upright position and that would relieve the problem she was having. He could not have been more correct! It immediately relieved the pain she was having, and now she wants to ride as much or more than me.

As the others have said, the comfort of a seat is a personal and subjective matter. For me, anything up to 500 miles is a comfortable day's ride, but much over that and my butt starts to get tired; but then too, I'm getting older. I've only ridden with the stock seats and the Hartco seats, but I have been thoroughly satisfied with the Hartco seats. They are not the cheapest seats, nor are they the most expensive, but at least from my experience with them over the past 20 years, they are a quality product.

Good luck on your shopping!

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:34 pm

I use a Corbin that was made by God... It has the hand written tag on the bottom that claims it was made by "Jesus". :D I like the different firmness of foam within the seat. I just wish it was a few inches longer; as I have the seat all the way back because of my height. So there is a 2-3" gap between seat and "tank" that could be used as more seating for changing positions during a long ride. I wouldn't trade for any other seat without a backrest now that I have one...

I had the original quilted style seat on my Suzuki; but had it recovered in a smooth finish with 2" of "royal" foam on top of the hard foam - I'm tall and the extra bit of height helped on leg placement.

I also use a beaded seat cover for riding in very hot weather or to switch things up on a long ride.

Some dealers will offer demo seats for a test ride.
Attachments
Smooth made for less chaffing
Smooth made for less chaffing
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

wsunate
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby wsunate » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:57 pm

I've had a Russell Day long on my 97 1500 for about 4 years. One of the best upgrades I've made after suspension. The seat replaced the original so a huge upgrade. I feel much more connected to the bike. My wife and I have taken several trips with 500 mile days and were never seat weary. It did take a while with shipping the old seat but I also did mine in riding season. Haven't ridden on other custom seats so no comparison but I can say the customer service at Russell is impeccable and they really helped customize the passenger seat and back rest for my height challenged wife.

Andy V.
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 goldwing

Postby Andy V. » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:09 am

I have an Ultimate Tallman seat with a backrest on my 08 Wing. They have a shop in Daytona but the seats come with a 14 day return policy if you're not satisfied. Sitting on a new seat for a few minutes just doesn't cut it. Put 7K on the stock seat and was ready to sell the bike until I got the Ultimate seat. Now have 90K+ on it with many 1000 mile days. Work just fine for me.

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Postby Jim1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Here is the Russell dual day long saddle produced for me and the wife and we both highly recommend it.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

MacNoob
Motorcycle: '85 GL1200 Aspencade
'82 C70
'71 CL175
'08 KLR650

Postby MacNoob » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:59 am

Couldn't survive without the Russell on my GL1200!

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby toanogreen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:27 am

toanogreen wrote:I'm sure they are out there somewhere, but I'm looking for reviews on seats. I've seen pictures of Ultimate, Saddleman, Travelcade, and Corbin. I haven't seen too many actual seats that I could sit on and try to compare.
Which is the best in terms of comfort, price, durability, style, etc.? Are there any stores that I can go to see and sit on to compare? I've seen some online on eBay and other sites. I don't want to buy one and be disappointed.

thanks

Update: Since this post (back in May) I had the opportunity to trade a guy my original OEM seat for a practically new Saddleman Sofa. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but he wanted the original look for his bike. So we traded. The Saddleman was more comfortable than the original, but it was a taller ride. Later this summer I bid and won an eBay auction for a practically new Ultimate seat, complete with driver and passenger backrest, with embossed lettering. Oh man! It is out of this world comfortable! Tremendous difference. I don't always promote products, but I would work for this company!

And to think, I was thinking of getting rid of the bike. If I do, another Ultimate seat will be the first upgrade!

rmckee6
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby rmckee6 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:41 pm

When I got my 1992 Gl 1500 in 2006 it had a custom Corbin seat. That seat was the most uncomfortable seat on long rides. It felt like I was setting on the frame rails. I test rode an Ultimate seat and never took it off. The difference between Corbin and Ultimate was like going for setting on a 5 gallon bucket to setting on top of the motorcycle. Improved my long rides considerable. I have a stock seat on my 2007 GL1800 and the next major upgrade will be another Ultimate seat.

Andy V.
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 goldwing

Postby Andy V. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:26 pm

As I noted previously, Ultimate seats are hard to beat for comfort and durability. The only store I know they have is in Daytona and they do demo at major bike events through the summer. If you order one and are not satisfied they have a two week return policy for a full refund. The way I found out about them was looking and asking about them at bike events I attended. All said climb on and try them out and a lot said try it around the parking lot. Worked for me.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Bought my '08 GW last October. Did a lot of research on 1800s and two issues came to the fore; suspension and seats. Took care of the suspension by installing front and rear Traxion (full monty). Took care of the seat issue by going to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA. I had the seat done after a trip to Palm Springs, San Diego and San Francisco. Before I had the seat adjusted for me, I had a continual pinch between my shoulder blades, and my knees were an inch from the fairing. When I rode into Rich's shop, he had me sit on the bike (on the centre stand). He assessed my riding position and ascertained that I needed to be raised two inches and moved back two inches. He prefers to adjust the OEM seats. These two upgrades were the best money I spent. I did a trip to northern Ontario to visit my folks after this and it made a world of difference. Highly recommend visiting him if you are in his neighbourhood. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

Postby cruiser1800 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:13 am

We parked by a Goldwing Tike in Sandpoint a week ago and they had a seat cover on their trike, like fur, sheep skin, I don't what you would call it. It looked like it would be cooler and maybe add to the comfort on a ride. The hamburger joint we stopped at was real busy, so we just left, I was hoping to see who had the trike, so I could ask about it, but luck. Can anyone give me any information if they help in comfort and where to get one if the price is right. Do you recommend them or are they a waste of money.

Thanks
Rodney

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Sat May 14, 2016 4:19 pm

The fur is called "sheepskin" and often comes pre-cut to fit on a motorcycle seat. I've seen them but never ridden on it. I use a modified wooden bead seat cover on long rides.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

Postby cruiser1800 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:36 pm

Boy that doesn't sound like it would be very comfortable, unless you have a well padded behind

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Sat May 14, 2016 11:00 pm

It's like taxi drivers use. You don't really notice the beads - but it allows airflow under your bottom. Keeping everything cool - but it comes off in the rain - makes for a wetter "seat".

Return to “Product Reviews”