PIAA Powersports 1100 Driving Lights - Love 'Em!

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
WingzRider
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800

PIAA Powersports 1100 Driving Lights - Love 'Em!

Postby WingzRider » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:38 pm

FWIW, for anyone shopping for auxiliary driving lights: I ride a lot in back-roads "deer country". Some years back, out in the middle-of-nowhere-boonies at 3:00 AM on an Easter Sunday morning I literally got French-Kissed in the face by a leaping Bambi in the middle of a sweeper-curve at 55 MPH. I'm a "walkin' Miracle Man" for even still being here. So I'm real leery of deer and was looking for aux. driving lights that would really light up both the roadway ahead as well as, especially, both R-L shoulders of the highways. I can't emphasize enough how happy I am with these PIAA lamps. Especially considering their small size and high light output. I mounted these about 6 yrs ago so don't know what the actual Lumen output is rated at - but the mfg claims their 55W halogen bulbs outputs "85 Watts worth of light" due to their proprietary bulb & reflector design. Two things surprised me about these lights, listed in ascendant order: (1) For quartz-halogen bulbs, the light is much "whiter" in nature than I ever would have expected. Not sure what the Kelvin rating is, but the "whiteness" is most noticeable when compared to the stock low beams &/or high beams while riding & looking ahead. More noticeable color-diff than when looking at them head-on, which is painful to the eyeballs. (2) The pattern is not at all like a "beam". Best description I can give is that is seems more like a "curtain-wall" of light. Literally from the roadbed to the treetop canopies. Happily, and likely because I have them aimed just very slightly outward toward the shoulders, I hardly ever get any high-beam flashes from oncoming traffic even in the dark country roads, so excess glare to oncoming drivers is evidently no problem for them. Yet they still light up the roadway straight ahead much farther that the stock low-beam headlights do. The light housings are high-quality aluminum, with chrome bezel and smooth glass lenses. The U-shaped sheet-metal mounting brackets seemed distressingly chintzy at first, but once aimed and tightened they have NEVER lost adjustment in 6 yrs of usage, and no part of housings or brackets have rusted. Even when the brackets were initially left loose enough to be adjustable by hand for initial aiming, they still "held" adjustment even when that loose. Housings mount to hanger brackets via supplied Allen-head bolts. They came with high-quality wire harness loom, long enough to reach from fairing nose to battery. The wire harness includes an inline dedicated relay, and a really nice waterproof self-adhesive switch that affords switch mounting wherever desired. The switch has a translucent rubberized cover over it. Looks black in daylight, but at night the cover lets ya see the built-in power indicator LED built into the top of the push-button switch. LED glows green when the lights are off to indicate they can be turned on. Glows red when the lights are on, to indicate they can be turned off. That comes in handy if ya forgot to shut 'em off at night and still inadvertently have 'em powered on in daylight. I only use 'em when needed, intermittently, but still fairly often, and the original bulbs are still workin', so they're seemingly long-lived re useful life-span. Sole caveat: The housings get hot to the bare-skin touch, but I've never had any heat issues for the fairing's "Tupperware" at all. I'm half-considering, toying with the idea of hanging a set of these under the side-view mirror housings, aimed primarily for the roadway shoulders alone, but that might even be a wee tad "overkill", so I've held off on that. As an aside, I was really mega-disappointed with the Hondaline LED driving/foglamps that I ordered at time of original purchase. Just got a set of PIAA foglamps put on. Haven't road-tested them at night yet, but will update this post after I've done so. In summary, I don't think anyone who tries these would be unhappy with them. Kinda pricey, current MSRP $328, but that's not a far cry from many different aux. light kits from other makers - and there's much better deals out there from the resellers. Subsequent to my purchase of the quartz-halogens, they also came out with an LED version of the same lamp, which I have no personal experience with because I'm happy enough with the QH's as is. The head-on pic doesn't really do 'em any "justice" at all.
PIAA Powersports 1100 Aux. Driving Lamps
PIAA Powersports 1100 Aux. Driving Lamps

WingzRider
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800

Re: PIAA Powersports 1100 Driving Lights - Love 'Em!

Postby WingzRider » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Return to “Product Reviews”