Blackwing Fork Brace for GL1500

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Re: Blackwing Fork Brace for GL1500

Post by wingman12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Good evening black wing lady. I Have had the super brace on my 99 1500 SE for around 14 years and love it. I Am interested to see if your brace can make any improvement. I Will no the answer to that in a couple of weeks. I ordered one today. I Will let know in a couple of weeks. :D :D

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:46 am

Well based on all the rave reviews about this brace I ordered one yesterday. I have the super brace on my bike installed by the PO, have never been really impressed with the front end dynamics since owning the bike, hopefully that will change with the Blackwing. I live in Canada so it will take a bit of time to receive it. I will update after I install it. Fingers crossed it will work.

Firea100
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Valkyrie
1989 Honda goldwing trike

Post by Firea100 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:05 am

Good Morning! I ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait until it comes in.

Phil76750
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE

Post by Phil76750 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 am

Hello. I have a GL 1500 SE 1997. Why add this room because the front fork, under the fender, there is this piece (see link)

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1500se-gol ... cCbfvntlBc

In French:
Bonjour. Je dispose d'une GL 1500 SE de 1997. Pourquoi rajouter cette pièce puisque sur la fourche avant, sous le garde-boue, il existe cette pièce (voir lien)

Sincerely, Philippe

newtothe1996wing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 1996 2055 miles on as of 5/2014!

Post by newtothe1996wing » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:31 am

I installed the super brace on my 96 SE and could tell little difference.
Installing the Progressive springs made a WORLD of difference. An amazing improvement for the cost.
After reading this post I have ordered a black wing and am going to try. From a mechanical stand point the differences do seem logical. We shall see. :)

ehartshorn
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i Interstate (sold)
2009 FSC600 Silverwing (sold)
1993 GL1500A Aspencade new to me in 3/2015 with 25000 miles on her.

Post by ehartshorn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 pm

My '93 GL1500A has wandering habits; I thought it was something loose in the front suspension, but couldn't find anything wrong. It wasn't until I started reading this thread that I realized what the problem is; I thought it was me not being used to a big bike (the bike is still new to me). I have ordered the Blackwing Brace from the Facebook page (discounted from the eBay price) and it is being shipped today. Can't wait to install it and see if it handles better. There are times that I really miss my GL1100 ;) .

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Phil76750 wrote:Hello. I have a GL 1500 SE 1997. Why add this room because the front fork, under the fender, there is this piece (see link)
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1500se-gol ... cCbfvntlBc
In French:
Bonjour. Je dispose d'une GL 1500 SE de 1997. Pourquoi rajouter cette pièce puisque sur la fourche avant, sous le garde-boue, il existe cette pièce (voir lien)
Sincerely, Philippe
It's minimalistic material is what gives the forks it's looseness.

I found out through my accident that OEM brace's minimalistic material helped save my forks.
The OEM brace bent and gave way, instead of bending the forks.

I hope to try a Super Brace sometime soon, curious how solid the feel is.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

wgood33
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by wgood33 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks for this great advise. Every GL1500 rider knows the forks wobble around way too much. I contacted Blackwing direct at 909-208-7702 and saved $5 off the ebay price. Easy order with Paypal too
Thanks! Bill

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Post by charliektm400exc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Do Blackwing make one for the 1800? I thought I read that they did when I was searching for information, but then couldn't find any sign of them actually selling one on e-bay.

Charlie

Bobsiler
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Post by Bobsiler » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:07 pm

I've had my wing about 5 months now and the fork brace has been on my list. After reading this thread I went with the Blackwing. I got it today and put it on. Took it for a ride and man what a huge difference this makes ! Super easy to install and for the price...... worth every penny. Should have done it right from the start.

ehartshorn
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i Interstate (sold)
2009 FSC600 Silverwing (sold)
1993 GL1500A Aspencade new to me in 3/2015 with 25000 miles on her.

Post by ehartshorn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:14 pm

My new brace arrived on Tuesday, I stopped at the hardware store and picked up a set of hex wrenches on the way to the post office. I've watched the video about a dozen times, so I *thought* I knew what to do. Parked at home, and did what the video said, but there was absolutely no way that the brace would fit between those forks. Gave up after about 15 minutes and put the bike back together. It was after that when I saw the piece of paper with the instructions about putting the brace in the freezer (and remembered the mention of "Freezer" on here) and loosening up the pinch bolts and axle nut.

No freezer and no time, so I put the brace in the fridge for a couple of days. No details in the instructions about *how* or *where* or *what* to loosen the pinch bolts or axle nut.

Yesterday after work I had a couple of hours. The bike is my only transportation, so I can't afford to screw it up. I picked up a chunk of dry ice on the way home, set it in the fridge on top of the brace. Went out and took off the cover and took out the bolts and inserted the studs, got the brace out of the fridge, and it snapped right in. 15 minutes tops. I'm glad I didn't have to figure out the axle bits. Guess I'm used to the wonderful tutorials by WingAdmin and others here on goldwingdocs, you folks have taught me a lot about my bike, and you don't skip over the important parts in the tutorials

Took the bike for a ride after installation, like riding a different bike. No wandering all over the road. I don't have to be so tense while riding. I can hold lane position without thinking about it. Going around the twisties feels like fun again, something that I've missed with this bike. Rode to work during thundershowers this morning, a nice ride :). Life is good :D

blackwing lady
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Goldwing gl 1500 SE

Post by blackwing lady » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank You all so much. The response from the review was Great. It has been my pleasure to deal with all of you.
If you have any Questions. Or like the fellow who Called because he had trouble finding the brace on eBay.
You can always call me at 909-208-7702 Thanks all
The Blackwing Lady ((*,*))

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:53 am

Finally installed it on my bike when the wife asked me to get that metal thing out of her freezer. :lol: Went for a test drive last night, all I can say is WOW. I too had the super brace and thought that's as good as life will get with my bike, was I ever wrong!! As mentioned slow speed driving is much improved and an overall "more in control" feel is the best way I can explain it. One of my top five money spent/results seen addons.

AnimalG
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 (sold)
1982 GL1100A (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)
1995 GL1500SE (Current)

Post by AnimalG » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Just ordered it today. I had a bit of a hard time finding it on eBay so here is the link to the item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing- ... 51&vxp=mtr

The title of the item is below:

Honda Goldwing GL 1500 Black Wing Fork Stabilizer Brace1988 - 2000 New made USA

Hope this helps others looking for this on eBay...

AnimalG
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 (sold)
1982 GL1100A (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)
1995 GL1500SE (Current)

Post by AnimalG » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:43 pm

I installed it today.

When I pulled off the cover, I could see that a SuperBrace was installed. I used a 1/4 drive deep socket (10 or 11 mm, I believe) to remove the SuperBrace bolts and then followed the instructions to install. I got the part Monday and it went straight into the freezer. After removing the SuperBrace and cleaning everything up, I pulled the new Blackwing part out of the freezer. Since my shop and house are not connected, I had to play "Hot Potato" (or "Frozen Fingers") for about 2 minutes. If I were to do this again, I would recommend oven mitts :o

The new Blackwing brace fit right in with a little tapping from my fist; no tools needed but if it had not been frozen first, I would have probably needed hydraulics to get it to fit. When I pulled off the SuperBrace, I could see the wear marks around the edges. The wear marks were around the outside edges only. The inside shoulders were so dirty, I could have used dental floss to clean them.

I bounced the forks a few times and then took the bike out for a test ride. I normally travel a 25 MPH road from my house to the highway for about 2 miles. I know every tar snake in this road and before this brace install, I was sure I would get pulled over if a police car ever followed me. The bike would wobble every time it came close to a bump or snake.

Well, I took off like normal and started dodging the snakes, but it didn't take long before I realized that the bike was tracking properly, regardless of the snakes I was hitting. Sure, there was a little bit of a bounce to the handlebars when I rubbed against a snake but it was no longer enough to actually move the bike. I could drive "Sober" when I was actually "Sober" :D

I then took the bike out to some country roads where I could hit some twisty curves and it almost felt like a new bike. I got on a long straight highway and set the cruse for 60 MPH. I then (slowly; hand by hand...) removed both hands from the handlebars. The bike tracked perfectly and I finally had to put my hands back on the bike when I was approaching a car a little too quickly. Removing both hands is strongly ill-advised!

I have owned this bike for almost four years and did not realize that this level of control was available. I could ride my GL1000 and GL1100 on a straight stretch without hands all day long but it just did not feel right on the GL1500. Now I can reach back with both hands and squeeze my wife's knees :idea:

Below is the link to the YouTube video mentioned in earlier posts. Pretty simple install.

Thanks for publishing this in the monthly newsletter. Without it, I might still be using both hands on the highway :D

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Post by wingman12 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 pm

I installed my blackwing brace about 3 weeks ago, I noticed right away that I no longer wandered all over the road (I always though the wandering was me) the bike does handle much better in slow turns and tracks perfectly at high speeds, with the addition of the progressive springs this spring I can not believe how well the bike handles now compared to last year. Congratulations black wing lady on producing a very excellent product. :D :D

mrenfro
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by mrenfro » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:33 am

I think I had started another thread on this subject before I realized this one was going. I think multiple threads on the same subject are confusing, so I believe this is a better place to reply. I installed the Blackwing brace last week per the instructions. I only had it in the freezer for 1.5 hrs. Without loosening the axel bolt and pinch bolts, (which it says to do in the instructions) I could not have gotten it in. I even had to spread the forks slightly at the axel, maybe more time in the freezer would have helped.
Anyway the first thing I noticed is that the fork action seems stiffer, they move freely but don't seem as bouncy. Turning out of my driveway onto the road I could tell there is more "feel" of the road surface transmitted to the handle bars. I hadn't expected that, I guess the front end is stiffer. Went to a parking lot and did some slow speed maneuvers, felt good and stable with very little (if any) wobble. I didn't have time for a long test ride (about 50 miles) but I think the bike is tracking better in the lanes. Most of the ride was back roads so it was fairly slow 30-50mph and I couldn't tell a huge difference in handling other than stiffer road feel. Getting close to home I hit a 2 mile stretch of gentle curves and opened her up 60-65mph. Here I noticed a difference, smooth track through curves with no wandering. It felt "stuck" to the road better which I think will give me more confidence in the curves. I'll update again when I get some more miles on it.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:29 am

This is just a question of concern about the super braces.

IF one has to spread the forks a bit, isn't that placing a smidgen more pressure on the fork seals inside edge?
Newer seals can handle it, probably not older seals.

Does anyone have leaks after its install? (HOPEFULLY not)

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:21 pm

FM-USA wrote:This is just a question of concern about the super braces.

IF one has to spread the forks a bit, isn't that placing a smidgen more pressure on the fork seals inside edge?
Newer seals can handle it, probably not older seals.

Does anyone have leaks after its install? (HOPEFULLY not)

The overall distance between the forks should not change. If you have to spread them in order to wiggle the thing in then fine, but once it is snugly in place, the forks should be in their original position. Forks that have outward pressure on them will cause not so much seal wear but bushing wear and binding (stiction) - which means the forks are stiffer and require more pressure to get them to release and start moving.

If you're getting binding after the brace is in place, loosen the pinch bolts and axle bolt on the front wheel, and while holding the front brake on, pump the front forks up and down several times to properly seat the axle. Torque the axle bolt, then the pinch bolts (you can find the correct torque values and procedures as part of How to rebuild your front forks, starting on step 132.

wsunate
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by wsunate » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:01 am

Just another post to support the inproved ride of the Blackwing brace over Superbrace. I installed the Superbrace about 3 years and thought the ride improved. Just finished my first ride today after replacing the Super brace with Blackwing brace. Wow, what a difference. Solid front end, confidence inspiring. No more squashy front end. Only regret is not doing this sooner! I do already have Progressive front end and rear end which I also recommend.
Enjoy the ride!

newtothe1996wing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 1996 2055 miles on as of 5/2014!

Post by newtothe1996wing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Without reservation can say "IT WORKS" big improvement !!!!! Worth every penny!!! Glad I took the chance. Front end now feels much lime my CBR 1000K. :)

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:48 am

Got back last week from a 4700KM (2300mi) glorious trip to S.C. and back home again along the Atlantic coast. (95% secondary roads) since installing the Blackwing brace. The bike drove like a dream. Stable, secure I never knew it could be this good. In some places there were a couple of hours of twisties that would make the Dragon ( I did the Dragon last year with the super brace) sit up and take notice. The bike felt much more secure and steady then last year. Unfortunately for my pegs, the increased confidence level it inspired, contributed to the reduction in the amount of chrome on the bottom of them. :D

So if anybody is interested, I have a super brace for sale at a really good price. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best benefit for money spent so far on the bike.

Best free result, adjusting the free play out of the cruise control.

Comey
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by Comey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:35 am

I have installed the blackwing fork brace on my 1994 GL1500SE and have a question about replace the
four 7 MM screws with the supplied 1/4 28 screws. They seam to tighten up but look to small.
Anyone had an issue with these screws? Thanks for any input.
Comey

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 am

Comey wrote:I have installed the blackwing fork brace on my 1994 GL1500SE and have a question about replace the
four 7 MM screws with the supplied 1/4 28 screws. They seam to tighten up but look to small.
Anyone had an issue with these screws? Thanks for any input.
Comey
They can't be too long, they could rub on the tire with forks at full compression.
Get an extension mirror and take a peek.

Another reason they're short, don't want road grime mucking up the last thread.
It be very hard to back out if needed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:49 am

The use of those screws is also important because the angle of their underside is matched to the countersink machined into the brace, to help keep the brace (and the forks) rock solid.