VStream windshield - Do not purchase

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

VStream windshield - Do not purchase

Postby Paulcf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:27 pm

I tried to search this forum but could not find anything regarding the VStream (National Cycle) windshield for the GL1800. Furthermore there was a posting from 2+ years ago about windshields, so I thought I would create a new post.

My post:

I recently purchased a VStream windshield from Wingstuff.com. I was looking forward to the new windshield to reduce the wind noise and blast and provide optical clarity as compared to my original OEM windshield on my 2003 GL1800 (it is 12 years old after all!). As a result of the installation of this windshield, I’ve had to remove a lot of parts to fix the windshield height adjuster mechanism. The inferior and poorly designed VStream windshield (manufactured by National Cycle) purchased from Wingstuff caused the adjuster to lock in the highest position. I had installed the VStream at the lowest position for my first test ride, then pulled it up to half way and rode some more and finally pulled it up to the highest/tallest adjustment possible. I rode it to a destination and back, over 100 miles (160kms) to evaluate it. I wanted to ascertain if there was an improvement in reduced buffeting (no), less noise (no, in fact it was worse with a constant whistling sound) and then the tallest setting which then caused me even more problems and didn’t provide any improvement whatsoever with noise, wind buffeting or comfort. Plus it is narrower by 2” in total compared to the OEM windshield and here in Canada, when much riding happens in cooler weather, any wind blasting air making it past the windshield to your body and hands is not good!

Unfortunately due to poor design, it would NOT allow me to raise it slightly more, which is required, to disengage the ratcheting lock mechanism to then be able to drop the windshield down. Poor design. In trying to force it down at first, I dislodged a small part that fell out (fortunately) onto the floor, from the adjuster mechanism. That windshield adjuster mechanism costs about $210 US so I am very glad that I heard the small part falling and that it didn’t get trapped somewhere inside the bowels of the fairing. After careful analysis with 2 engineers, I was able to reassemble it properly and discovered exactly how it works. I had to remove many parts including a large frame section across the front of the bike underneath the fairing that provides structure for the windshield clamping mechanism. And so on. I have spent about 6 hours on this ‘project’ so far and will take another 2-3 hours to properly re-assemble everything. I will clean the instruments also while they are exposed like this.

I was fortunate in that I noticed that the two horizontal back rubber “boots” for the cabling for the speedometer and tachometer (which have white backings) were not properly seated. I cleaned them and will be gluing them into position so that no water can enter and damage the instruments or the wiring. You may want to check this on your Goldwing by removing your front bezel/shield to inspect yours. Any water damage to the instruments would be very expensive to repair of course.

I will be reporting on Wingstuff.com that this windshield is poorly designed and not able to be simply installed and used and rate is as inferior and do not purchase. Furthermore it does absolutely NOTHING to reduce wind noise/blast at any speed. And it positions the vent in the windshield much higher up so that it is blasting air at your face, not helpful and potentially dangerous if a piece of gravel, a small rock/object or big bug hits it and it will hit your face/eye (yes, I always wear eye protection). My OEM windshield vent, when opened, directed the air blast to my stomach area. On a hot day I could open my jacket/vest and the air would keep me a bit cooler. Furthermore the vent now was so high up on the VStream that it was in my line of sight and very distracting. Due to the design of the sides (tapered) it makes it almost impossible to secure the anchoring bolts and that resulted in scratching it on the sides as you have to force it down to align the bolt with the sliding nut. The OEM windshield lays perfectly flat and in the same curved contour as the windshield ‘base’ making removal/reinstallation a simple process.

I have a lot of photos of this poorly designed windshield and thanks to Wingstuff, it has been returned for a refund. In closing my recommendation is to avoid purchasing this product for the reasons/issues/observations I have outlined above.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: VStream windshield - Do not purchase

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:27 am

Thank you for the review and warnings. Please post more if you try any other windshields. I have heard the F-4, I think, is the one to get for GL1800s.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Paulcf

Postby Paulcf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 pm

I re-installed my OEM shield and can't believe how much better it is than the VStream one. I know many swear by the VStream w/s and frankly I guess it is like a pair of shoes, they hurt and blister one persons feet and feel like pillows for another person's feet. If anything I guess the comparison was the benefit I got out of doing this and I would never have known better if I hadn't tried the VStream out.

However I won't be ordering a new w/s yet, with the CDN-USD currency exchange rate at 33% (today) it makes it way too expensive now to contemplate (plus shipping, taxes, etc.). But if I ever do, I will post my observations. Thank you.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Paulcf

Postby Paulcf » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Final post re this: I returned the windshield to WingStuff and their service is 2nd to none! They gave me a full no questions refund AND refunded my mailing cost from Canada to USA. Impressive. I told them of course that I will continue to buy from them my tires, etc.
Well WingStuff did ask me why I was returning it and I told them (as per my review) and sent them photos for backup/proof.

Great service.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

BrianD
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with CSC Cobra XL kit.

Postby BrianD » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:16 am

Strange, but as you said not everyone's foot fits in the same shoe.
I love my V-Stream Special (6mm thick version), and so does the wife. Much less buffeting for her and great clarity for me.
I am only 5'10" but the vent is nowhere near my vision line and I ride with it fully up.
Now that we are triked, the wife rides it too and has no trouble with the vent position.
I have not noticed any wind noise problems and having now been a passenger, all seems good in the back seat too.
Dark Triker Downunder

fixdent
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby fixdent » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for the review. The VStream was one of the ones I was looking at.

I came from a 1981 Goldwing that had virtually no buffeting, and I look over the windscreen, to a 2005 Goldwing last summer, and was disappointed with all the buffeting.

I searched, and finally decided to buy a Klock Wirks windshield. Although it does not eliminate the buffeting, it got rid of about 75%. I will use this for a couple years and hopefully, there will be another (better) one to purchase.

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

bad2thebone55
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby bad2thebone55 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:38 pm

BrianD wrote:Strange, but as you said not everyone's foot fits in the same shoe.
I love my V-Stream Special (6mm thick version), and so does the wife. Much less buffeting for her and great clarity for me.
I am only 5'10" but the vent is nowhere near my vision line and I ride with it fully up.
Now that we are triked, the wife rides it too and has no trouble with the vent position.
I have not noticed any wind noise problems and having now been a passenger, all seems good in the back seat too.

Yeah I have really enjoyed my change to the V-Stream Special Edition. I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'9" and she noticed a big difference with the shield up all the way. I also have Air Wings and had to figure out position for them to get custom for both our comfort. I would never go back to the OEM shield! But like everything else it has to be what gets you comfortable. Ride Safe! & Stay Warm
"You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

KTMkeithWING
Motorcycle: 2014 GL18HPNAME

Postby KTMkeithWING » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:08 pm

I now have 12000 miles on my VStream and still can't find anything I like about it .

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 am

When I got my 1800, coincidentally got it from owner of national cycle, it had the v stream special addition and their hand and faring wings on it. I have to issues with either except four parts four the wind wings. That's another story. My wind shiuelkd will GI down in any position but taking all the way up then doiewn mates it easier to do. Have used OE shields and a cbailleys. Like the one I have better.

Circles
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Circles » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:54 am

My Vstream works very well and always has. I had a windstreamer (same as Tulsa Tall) and the VStream works just as well without the huge slab in front of me.

Return to “Product Reviews”