Torq master pipes

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Bobsiler
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Torq master pipes

Postby Bobsiler » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:22 pm

One of the things I've wanted to do with my 1500 was get a bit more sound out of it without being obnoxious. I really like the Hollywood oval pipes made by this company but found a deal on a closeout item at Cyclegiant on ebay. I bought a set of of Daytona shorts slash cut pipes and installed them yesterday. They look really nice (I think) and sound awesome. I couldn't find a thread on them so I started this one. The craftsmanship is very good and they fit perfect. I don't think I'll get the optional baffles to quiet them down as they really aren't bad. We'll see if mileage or anything increases as I haven't burned up a tank yet but they are supposed to add about 3 more foot pounds of torque. If you're needing a replacement for your pipes or just want something different they make pipes for 1800's, 1500's and F6B's.
Attachments

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Torq master pipes

Postby maestro319 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Approximate cost?? I know labor to install them varies from one part of the country to another, so, just the cost of the pipes.

Bobsiler

Postby Bobsiler » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:43 pm

I got mine on a discount sale on Ebay for $340 including tax and shipping. You can go to their website and they are $418 including shipping. They are the same price at Chromeworld. They have different types up to $479 plus shipping.
I'm toying with the idea of getting the X Factor which eliminates the pre-muffler and makes a true dual exhaust.

http://www.torqmasterpipes.com/gl%201500.html

https://www.chromeworld.com/1988-honda- ... ts/exhaust

Bobsiler

Postby Bobsiler » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:48 pm

They are easy to install if you work on your own bike. Took me maybe an hour.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:38 pm

I thought I was the only one that didn't like the lack of sound out of my wing. I removed the mixer box 10 or 11 years ago and purchased the "torque master" pipes. Need two and the no baffled mufflers ( can remember the brand) I did get everything thing from chrome world. Picked up 5mpg but more importantly no acceleration lag and I love the farari sound when I wind it out in the high rpm range. I don't know what the cost is today but back then both were in the $250 range. For me well worth the $. :D :D

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:57 pm

If you do your own work on your bike it will take a couple of hours. Remove the plastic on both sides to get to headers. Loosen right side headers to remove the mixer box. Reconnect and torque the header bolts remove the existing mufflers and install the torque master ( creates real duel exhaust) and then your mufflers. The sound at idle is awesome. Good luck and let me know if you decide to go this route. Ride often and ride safe. :D :D

bigbird1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B, black with ABS

Postby bigbird1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:38 am

If you want to install slip-ons on a GL1800 or F6B, be careful about drone. This only applies to engines with cat converters and a crossover pipe joining the cats.
I've had two different sets of slip-ons on my F6B, Cobra 6-2-6 and Rush slip-ons.
Both sounded fantastic at idle and blipping the throttle with no load.
Loaded, at a steady 3k rpm, the drone was so bad on both of them I took them off after a few minutes of driving.
From what I have learned from my fiascos, the only way to eliminate drone with aftermarket slip-ons is to remove the cat converters and crossover pipe and install Torq Loopz, or install Vance & Hines slip-ons which have such intricate and convoluted baffling that they do not drone.
That's my $.02 from experience with aftermarket mufflers.
Of course this doesn't apply to the OP who has a GL1500.

westxer
Motorcycle: 89 1500 Goldwing
01 1200 Custom
RM 125
GS450t

Postby westxer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:47 am

Looks awesome and nice article, I ended up getting new, not installed Harley Davidson pipes (note owner did a screaming eagle upgrade right out of the dealership) on craigslist for about 60 bucks, went to the local muffler shop and had to adapter pieces made, ordered new HD clamps (4) from Dime City cycles installed the pipes, leaving the stock resonator in place (GL1500) put it all together and she sounds great, but still has a nice rumble at idle, but a nice growl at highway speeds with out being overbearing. All in all took about 4 hours hard part was going back and forth from the muffler shop 15 minutes away to swell the diameter of the adapter pipes to get a close fit. If I had to do all over again I would order/pick up my own muffler pipe expander from NAPA to make the job go faster, Cheers

pdqhil
Motorcycle: 1995 GLGL1500 Aspencade 20th anniversary

Postby pdqhil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:14 am

Torque masters seem to be gone or unavailable as is chromeworld .

Bobsiler

Postby Bobsiler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:28 am

Heres a direct link to their website. It appears to be up still.

http://www.torqmasterpipes.com/

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm

I don't know what I've got but they're not stock. They look good but they sound like they're just humming. Don't know if this is what has been referred to as droning but that seems to fit.
Its more of an annoying sound that makes you search for the soft rock stations on the radio. Been considering the Harley pipes.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

bigbird1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B, black with ABS

Postby bigbird1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Yes, that obnoxious humming that gives you an eventual headache is the dreaded drone.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Well I've got it in spades. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Rwilkerson
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Gl 1800

Postby Rwilkerson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:22 pm

bigbird1 wrote:If you want to install slip-ons on a GL1800 or F6B, be careful about drone. This only applies to engines with cat converters and a crossover pipe joining the cats.
I've had two different sets of slip-ons on my F6B, Cobra 6-2-6 and Rush slip-ons.
Loaded, at a steady 3k rpm, the drone was so bad on both of them I took them off after a few minutes of driving.
From what I have learned from my fiascos, the only way to eliminate drone with aftermarket slip-ons is to remove the cat converters and crossover pipe and install Torq Loopz, or install Vance & Hines slip-ons which have such intricate and convoluted baffling that they do not drone.

I also had the same issue with torq master 3k drone nearly wanted to sell the bike. I went back to factory and sold the torq's on Ebay for the price I paid for the trike take off's now I hear the music not the noise. Factory had it right.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 am

Got a pair of Harley mufflers off craigslist for $20. A couple hours later and it sounds much better. Quieter than I was expecting. But I'm sure they would sound better if it was a true dual exhaust system.
Hmmmm...winter project, maybe? ;)

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:Got a pair of Harley mufflers off craigslist for $20. A couple hours later and it sounds much better. Quieter than I was expecting. But I'm sure they would sound better if it was a true dual exhaust system.
Hmmmm...winter project, maybe? ;)

Just a FYI OldZX11Rider, Torque Master , linked in a post above, makes a set of "pipes" that eliminate the stock mixer box and turn the exhaust in to a true dual set up. That and some HD dresser take offs are what I plan to run on my bike some day
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 am

I checked out the link and looked at the "X Factor ", it looks pretty simple. I wonder what's the reason for crossing over from one side to the other?
It looks like it really wouldn't be that hard to come up with something specially if it was a slow day at the neighborhood muffler shop.
Diagram of the angles, length and diameter of the pipe needed, it shouldn't be too much of a job with a cooperative muffler shop.
And doing it yourself, should cost way less than $319.00. ;)

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 am

My collectors out ends broke loose and I acquired a used replacement.
Before that replacement I was considering doing a direct connect, left header to right muffler etc..
Would be a bit louder but it be real inexpensive.

I use stainless steel scrubby pads in the tail pipes to quell any extra noise. I first tried steel wool but was to restrictive.

In my early years I found short pipes with baffles had higher back pressures at the exhaust valve verses the same baffle in long pipes. Blow through a long straw then a short one and you'll understand. If the straw is at the right length and you blow at the right pressure and volume, a buzz sound happens.

As we know air has weight, weight has mass. When "a baffle" is further down the tube there is a lower percentage of pulsing back pressure then at the beginning of the tube.

Mufflers are designed to vary the back pressures with different baffles in size, spacing or both.
Choosing fewer, the placement of or even changing the angle of baffles creates different exhaust tones.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT. (now I'm hungry) :lol:

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Rwilkerson
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Gl 1800

Postby Rwilkerson » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:09 am

bigbird1 wrote:If you want to install slip-ons on a GL1800 or F6B, be careful about drone. This only applies to engines with cat converters and a crossover pipe joining the cats.

I had a pair on my bike when I bought it riding the streets around town just a loud as some of the Harleys sounded real good. Then when I Took it where I could open it up forget it. The 3K drone will make you just south of normal. It resonates thru helmet and sound like you in a trash can next to an airport. I removed mine bought some trike removal stock and turn down triples and would not trade the experience. They look good sound good in the garage but freeway speeds it mentally depressing.

Return to “Product Reviews”