Corbin GL1500 Master Saddle

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Corbin GL1500 Master Saddle

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 am

Okay, we got our taxes in and I needed/wanted a new saddle for the bike, so after some research here and on other sites, plus memories for prior use on other bikes I have owned, I decided on a Corbin Masters Type Saddle. I want to share my experience so far with the purchase, fit, and first 150 mile, so far, of riding on it. . . . .

1) The PURCHASE
The dealership I ordered the saddle from TRIED to be helpful, and truly was as much as they could be. I bought from Shawnee Honda in Shawnee Ok, about 50 miles from me, for two reasons 1) they are a recognized Corbin Dealer, 2) they offer a GWRRA discount . "Membership has its privileges." lol
Both the dealership and I where disappointed with the company web site as the "Live Seat Configurator" did not include a Goldwing seat, so I could not "see" what I was trying to order the way I wanted it, or thought I did. I wound out going with the default settings in the ORDER section, all BLACK , leather for the seating section, vinyl for the sides and welting. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but it was not my first choice.
I ordered on 2-18 and it got here on 3-4 (Friday) so not too bad there considering the time of year, and I am betting they do 1/2 their business at tax time. . . .

2) The FIT
First off, THIS THING SUCKS to put on the first time, or two, or three. . . but the website warns you of that, so ok. According to the website, this is due to their tighter fitting pan and design in general, fitting tighter so the "lines" flow better, and they do in my opinion, but damn, it is a bear the first time !
The drivers position is moved back and down some, or so it appears, as I have even better "feel" with my feet down at a stop light or stop sign, more stable and in control of the bike, big plus, even though it was not a huge issue for me at 6'2" tall with a 32'/34' inseam. The wife seat on the other hand, has been risen, which in my wife case is a BAD thing ! She is all of 4'8" tall and now, with the Corbin seat, she can not reach the stock passenger floor boards at all, and can barely reach her Kuryakan swing up passenger pegs, making her very uncomfortable, and unstable feeling.
last on fit is the Drivers back rest, it came with the worst instructions I have seen in a long time, they remind me of Chinese stereo instructions !
I can not figure out how to adjust the back rest fore and aft, nor how to adjust the tilt of the back rest pad to match my posture. The instruction sheet is VERY generic and does not look anything like I have. It appears to be more for CRUISER or BAGGER type saddles, not a DRESSER saddle like I now have. On top of that, as I mentioned before, the drivers seat is set back with the Corbin design, well for us, it is back far enough on this seat, I can not use the backrest when riding two up, only when solo. Most, about 80%, of my riding is solo, so I want this thing to fit, and fit right. . .

3) The RIDE
As I stated above, the drivers seat is set slightly lower and back from stock, and this fits well for me, giving a more stable feel at stop lights and signs, the foam is firmer, giving less sore/hot spots on my rump when covering any kind of mileage, so that is good, and it just looks nice, also a plus. The wife was not as happy, her seat is raised up some, maybe a inch or two, and was enough to cause her some serious discomfort in the stability department. She said if it was not for the passenger arm rests we have, she would not have felt secure or comfortable on a longer ride. Beyond those items, we where both very happy with the feel of the seat, even thou it is not "Broke in" yet as we have only ridden about 150 mile so far on it.

4) In Conclusion
Would I recommend this seat for my riding brothers and sister. . . . not really, BUT I also would not say do not get it as over all it is a good citing comfortable seat, just not to my wife and I. So my suggestion would be, if you are interested in a Corbin saddle, try to find someone who owns one on a bike like yours and see if you can barrow their bike, or atlas barrow their saddle to use on your bike for a test ride.

I hope you can use the information I provided to help you decide whether or not to buy a Corbin or go with an other brand saddle.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Corbin GL1500 Master Saddle

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:40 pm

I will offer a slight corollary, being that my GL1500 is equipped with a Corbin saddle that I have ridden on for about 25,000 miles.

When I first got it, I thought I had made a terrible, expensive mistake. It was hard, unforgiving, and made me sore. The backrest was too far back, so that it wasn't useful with my relatively short arms.

Once I figured out the not-so-easy backrest fore/aft adjustment (which requires removing the seat on mine) and through trial-and-error got it where I wanted it, the backrest was much better.

After a few thousand miles, I noticed the saddle was far more comfortable. It was much softer in certain parts.

Today, I can proclaim this saddle as the most comfortable seat I have ever had on a motorcycle. I have ridden in excess of 20 hours straight on it, on more than one occasion, and was not sore - just tired.

The passenger portion curves inward too much at the bottom, making it uncomfortable for the passenger. When my wife does ride on it, she needs to bring a seatback cushion to strap into place.

So if I were to do it again, would I buy one? Without question, I'm a Corbin convert - so much so that I bought one for my wife's PC800 as well. I would however have them change the shape of the rear seat, so that it's not so high and curved at the bottom rear edge.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:36 pm

hmmn, interesting observations, and I do agree to Corbins being VERY COMFORTABLE, so I hope this one breaks in nice too. I had one on my XS1100C and one on my 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300, both of those where KILLER seats, but both had been on the bike before I got it, so there was no break in period.
maybe we need to have you make a video of how to adjust the durn backrest for those of us who are having no luck with it. . . . HINT HINT ! LOL
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:39 pm

The backrest is simple to adjust for fore/aft and tilt, in my opinion, no instructions needed. Although the fore/aft does take some trial and error being you have to remove the seat to adjust then reinstall to test it out. I'll take some pics tomorrow if you want, Uncle Fester.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 am

PLEASE ! Thank you very much. . . I hope to have the bike out of the Bike Hospital tomorrow or Friday at the latest, so I can start working on adjustments.

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Here's what the bottom of my saddle looks like. The forward and backward is adjusted by loosening the locking nut on the large flat washer and moving the backrest fpr/aft then locking it back down.

The backrest tilt is adjusted with a hex set screw right above the backrest pivot. For those interested, note the Eagletac PN20a2 MKII flashlight I'm using for a pointer. If you think the 69 lumens from your Streamlight Stylus Pro you use for an inspection light is bright, this joker put's out 179 on high and 40 on low using the same 2x AAAs and puts your Streamlight to shame. :P

It's much easier to get to the tilt adjustment screw with the backrest off the bike. I unbolted the shaft from it's holder so I can put it on and off when needed depending on how big of a belly and thighs I have riding pillion at the time. If you can't pull the backrest straight up out of it's hole and want to remove it to get to the tilt adjustment, you need to remove the 5 bolts and possibly the adjustment locknut (I forget, it's been a while and many beers since I did this) to get the bracket out of the way for access to the screw, washers and nut holding the backrest shaft in the square tube.

I hope Corbin hasn't changed the way the new models work or I typed all this for nothing. :lol:

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:16 pm

My tilt mech for the backrest its self looks like yours, but the seat portion looks totally different. I can access mine via a small grommeted hole on top of the seat, fold the back rest all the way forward as if loading a passenger and then on the seat , right behind the backrest mounting hole, is the hole for adjustment fore and aft. . . I will get a few pics in just a bit.
Attachments
Underside of the seat, really nothing to do under here
Underside of the seat, really nothing to do under here
Grommet hole where locking / fore aft adjustment bolt goes in
Grommet hole where locking / fore aft adjustment bolt goes in
Backrest tilt adjustment bolt
Backrest tilt adjustment bolt

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 am

Ya, complete redesign on the fore/aft. In your 2nd picture, where the backrest is folded forward, mine doesn't do that. It's a straight shaft down through the seat into a mechanism at the bottom. Sounds like you have it covered, though. Do the newer Corbins for the 1500 still have the height adjustment lever on the left side like the old ones?

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:29 am

spiralout wrote:Ya, complete redesign on the fore/aft. In your 2nd picture, where the backrest is folded forward, mine doesn't do that. It's a straight shaft down through the seat into a mechanism at the bottom. Sounds like you have it covered, though. Do the newer Corbins for the 1500 still have the height adjustment lever on the left side like the old ones?

Mine does not, I believe that is a optional feature along with heat, which I also did not get.
As for having it covered, maybe. . . LOL between the help here and a 15-20 min call with Corbin Cust Service, I think I am good, once I get the bike back this afternoon, I will start playing with it and we shall see then. Unfortunately they are calling for rain this afternoon through the weekend, so may not have much play time, again , we will see.

jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Postby jim mccarty » Sun May 15, 2016 4:36 am

I also have a Corbin on my 1500 trike. Now here's my problem, or maybe inconvenience. I tried moving the lever on the left side of the seat. Wouldn't move. Guessing it has something to do with the backrest. Also unable to move backrest.
What do I do to make it workable?

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 am

It sounds like yours may be the "older" design, with a height adjustment lever and a drivers backrest that does not tilt forward for passenger loading and unloading, the "newer" design I have does not offer those options.

As for the seat itself, it has broke in nicely for me, and is getting better for the wife. We have played with different length fore and aft adjustment bolts ( longer bolt, farther forward, shorter bolt farther back ) and have found CLOSE to what we need, but given our size, it seams to be best if we leave the back rest OFF for two up riding. Luckily it is a 2-3 minute operation to put it off and on, so I fire the bike up, and while it is warming up, add or remove the back rest for my days ride.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:57 am

Well, I have had the seat for about 8 or 9 months and about 10K miles now, and thought I would chime in with a follow up.

The seat has broken in nicely, and is now very comfortable MOST days. Hey, a Black leather seat on a 110* day is NEVER comfortable ! LOL I have done a few longer trips now, about 400 miles in a day, and one long trip of just under 900 in just over 12 hrs of saddle time. . . .THAT was a long day !
Anyway, like I said, the seat has broke in nice, for both me and the wife, she can reach the swing up pegs now, and wearing boots with a short heel, can reach the floor boards too.
As for putting the seat on and off the bike, it has gotten MUCH easier with the more I do it, but I think I will still get the pointed seat bolts soon. With the stock seat, I could remove the side panel to get to the battery with out removing the seat, that is NOT POSSIBLE with the Corbin !
I have also learned how to adjust the drivers back rest, both fore and aft as well as the tilt of the backrest now, and with it adjusted right, I can use it even when two up, as long as it is not a 30* day and we are both bundled up for it. . . .
So, all that said, yes I would now recommend the Corbin Master series saddle for anyone interested in a new, quality seat for their GL1500. BIT I would also say to try a bike with one on it first, BEFORE you buy one as each person is different in their desires from a seat.

Return to “Product Reviews”