Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

SocalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Four years ago, I installed a set of GoldwingHIDs HID headlight bulbs in my GL1500, and I wrote about them in this review: GoldwingHID Headlight Kit

That review has become the most read and commented review on the site - it seems everyone wants brighter headlights.

There's one main problem with HID lights however: the arc in the HID bulb that produces that incredibly bright light is not in the same position as the filaments in a standard stock halogen bulb. Because the headlight reflector is designed to focus light produced by the stock bulb filaments, the end result is light scattered beyond where it is supposed to go. As those of us with aftermarket HID kits in our bikes can attest, HID headlights throw light out like a shotgun, and the drivers around us don't like it. I've lost count of the number of times I have been flashed by someone who is being dazzled by my HID headlight - even on low beam. Yes, it throws a lot of light that is fantastic at night - but it is potentially blinding oncoming drivers, which is not a good thing.

I've been waiting for a long time for LED technology to progress to the point where aftermarket LED bulbs are a viable replacement for stock halogen bulbs. The problem is that the amount of light put out by LEDs is simply insufficient for use as a primary headlight - they work great as supplementary driving lights, but for headlights, they were lacking.

Until now.

I had been told by Gary at Cyclemax about a new line of high-output aftermarket LED headlight bulbs coming soon from SoCalMotoGear - the same outfit that produced the GoldwingHID kit currently in my GL1500. He demonstrated the prototypes that he had installed in his GL1800, but swore me to secrecy, as SoCal did not want to publicize the product yet.

The secret is out, and I can tell you - LED technology has finally reached the point for I have been waiting! The GL1800 prototype bulbs Gary showed me were extremely bright - very nearly as bright as HID bulbs, and far brighter than the OEM halogen bulbs. Unlike the scattershot HID bulbs however, the LED bulbs retained the reflector's ability to focus the light properly, and prevent them from dazzling oncoming drivers.

SoCalMotoGear is releasing both GL1500 and GL1800 versions of the retrofit LED headlight kit, and I had the opportunity to test the GL1500 version of the kit today. Testing showed that the performance of the GL1500 kit was every bit as impressive as the GL1800 kit I had seen demonstrated previously.

The light temperature (color) of the LED bulbs in the kit is 5500K, which is considered to be the closest to bright daylight, in photographic terms.

Color Temperature Chart
Color Temperature Chart

The kit comes in a small box, and is a simple plug-and-play replacement. If you can change out your existing headlights, you can install these LEDs.

Inside the box is a tray containing the bulbs and their load resistors, and a packet with simple installation instructions. For the version used with 1998-2000 GL1500's, it also comes with a shim kit. It should be noted that a small plastic tab needs to be cut off of the bulb brackets for the 1998-2000 GL1500 before installation - earlier GL1500's retain the tab.

The bulbs themselves are quite small. Previous LED headlights contained bulky heatsinks and fans on the back, which frequently did not fit into restricted spaces. Additionally, the failure of the fan motor would mean instant death for the bulb, as it would rapidly overheat.

These bulbs have no such fan - instead they have three flexible mesh heatsinks. These heatsinks are to be spread open, to allow heat to dissipate. During testing, these heatsinks did not rise above about 120 degrees F - or warm to the touch.

Each bulb contains two CREE LEDs - one on the top and one on the bottom. During low beam usage, the top LED is lit, and during high beam usage, both LEDs are lit. The power draw of the LEDs is less than half that of the OEM halogen bulbs.

We set up a testing rig with a brand new GL1500 headlight in a fixed position, pointing down the warehouse up to about 50 feet away. A Nikon DSLR camera was used to photograph the results using OEM halogen bulbs, GoldwingHID HID bulbs, and the new LED bulbs. The camera was configured to use a fixed white balance (daylight), so that normal daylight would appear white. The camera was set to full manual, and configured at ISO 400 with an aperture of f5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/10 second. This way the differences visible in pictures would be entirely due to the differences in light put out by the bulbs, and not due to automatic metering or white balancing by the camera. We purposefully set the camera parameters to values that caused the resultant pictures to be more or less equal to that which could be seen by the naked eye. All pictures are raw and unretouched.

Stock Halogen Bulbs

These are the stock halogen bulbs in low beam mode. You'll notice the distinct yellow tinge, which is due to the fact that the camera is set to use daylight as a reference. Our eyes adjust our sense of "white balance" automatically (just as a camera normally would) so that headlights appear more white - but with an impartial camera set to manual white balance, it shows the true yellowish hue of a halogen headlight. Halogen bulbs have a color temperature of 3200K, considerably lower in the temperature scale than the 5500K of daylight.

With the high beam switched on, much more becomes visible, just as it does at night. The GL1500 has fairly decent headlights, and particularly when the high beams are turned on, the road does light up quite well. Note that as with the low beam, the pattern of beam spread is clearly delineated, without spreading into what would be considered the oncoming lanes.

GoldwingHID HID bulbs

The HID bulbs, with a 6000K color temperature, have a distinct blueish hue. This light is extremely bright, but you'll notice that the pattern (which is the low beam) is quite similar to the high beam pattern of the halogen bulbs! Also notice the beam spread - quite a bit more is being lit up on either side (and above and below) than was being illuminated by the halogen bulbs. No wonder oncoming drivers are constantly flashing their lights at us!

The HID bulb does not have a separate high beam filament - instead, it physically moves the bulb downward in the enclosure when you switch on the high beams, which moves the light even further upward. The problem here is clear - we now have a large dark area directly in front of us. Again, the beam spread is considerable.

Trying to adjust the headlight so that we maintain some illumination on the ground in front of us in high beam mode means that in low beam mode, we end up with the road directly in front of us lit up brightly, but not much down the road - a compromise at best.

Pathfinder LED Bulbs

The LED bulbs differ from the HID bulbs in that the light cutoff is very sharp and controlled - even more than the halogen bulbs, thanks to the single point of light emission that the LEDs offer. The beam is a bit too far upward when the headlight is properly adjusted for the halogen bulbs, something that was also observed with the GL1800 version of the kit. Note that the light appears VERY white, being that it is almost exactly the color of pure daylight.

Unlike the HID bulbs, we retain the low beam light in high beam mode, and simply add a much brighter beam that is focused up and away from us. Note again that both the low and high beams are too high when the headlight is adjusted for the halogen bulbs.

Adjusting the headlight downward, the low beam of the LED is much more useful - it illuminates both the area in front of us out to a distance of about 35 feet, as well as off to the sides, but there is a sharp cutoff at the top, to prevent dazzling oncoming drivers.

Adding the high beam, we retain the low beam area, along with a much brighter "spotlight" that is actually brighter than the HID in high beam mode. I expect this LED headlight to outperform the HID system in terms of brightness when in high beam mode as a result.

View from Other Drivers' Perspective

It's well and good to have super-bright headlights, but if that light is not controlled and directed properly, you run the risk of dazzling or blinding oncoming drivers, which is an extremely dangerous situation. We took pictures of the various bulbs from the perspective of a driver in an average height car, both offset to one side (as would be viewed from an oncoming lane) as well as directly in line with the headlight, to give an idea of the light output. You want the offset view to be reasonably bright so that oncoming drivers can see that you are there, but not so bright that they are dazzled.

Halogen Bulbs

The halogen bulbs from the offset position in low beam mode are definitely visible, but nowhere near dazzling.

Similarly, when directly oncoming in low beam mode, the halogen bulbs are definitely visible, but not dazzling.

With the halogen high beams engaged, there is definitely some dazzling effect from the offset position.

From the oncoming position, the halogen bulb high beams are blinding. While the camera captures the light as seen in this picture, to the human eye, it is so bright that nothing else is visible.

GoldwingHID HID Bulbs

The HID bulbs in the offset position in low beam mode are considerably brighter than the halogen bulbs. The scattered beam spread is the reason here - so much light is escaping the defined area that it appears very bright to oncoming drivers.

This is the real telling picture - this is the image of the HID bulbs to oncoming drivers, when in low beam mode. It is pretty much as blinding as the halogen bulbs are when in high beam mode. This is the reason for repeated flashing from other drivers - they are blinded by our low beam HID headlights!

High beam again allows a lot of light to escape to the sides, so that the offset position is quite dazzling.

The HID bulbs high beam when viewed directly onward is so bright that you cannot look at it directly. It is absolutely blinding, hopelessly incapacitating oncoming drivers.

Pathfinder LED Bulbs

Like the halogen bulbs, the LED bulbs in low beam are a non-event. The offset and oncoming views of the LEDs are visible, in that you are aware of the fact that the motorcycle is there, but thanks to the well-defined cutoff of the LED bulbs, there is no glare or dazzle to be had.

With the spotlight-like high beam of the LED bulbs, even the offset view of the LED bulbs in high beam mode is not objectionable. I suspect you could often get away with running your high beams at night without oncoming drivers even being aware!

The high beam of the LEDs to oncoming drivers is absolutely blinding, however. This is an extremely bright light!

So what do I think of these new LEDs? I am wholly impressed with them. They have gotten rid of the fan-driven heatsinks of earlier technology LEDs, increased the light output, and thanks to the single point of light emission, created a very sharp, defined output. My only wish would be for the high beam to be slightly wider - but this is a limitation of the reflector, not the bulb.

I guess it comes down to this: will I be replacing my GoldwingHID lights with this new LED technology? And the answer is a resounding YES! The lack of a 30 second startup time, no more blinding oncoming drivers, no bulky ballasts, less heat generation, and longer life means this will be my next upgrade. Once I do have them installed, I'll take some video of the lights in action, and post that compared to the HID video I posted earlier in the GoldwingHIDs review.

The Pathfinder LED kits are available in limited quantities now for the GL1500 and GL1800 - Cyclemax has very limited inventory on hand. They are not yet available directly from SoCalMotoGear.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: SocalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Excellent report as always. Any way to put the pictures side by side to prevent the need to scroll.

Any idea on pricing?? Don't see them on Cyclemax's site yet.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Metal_Bob
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Metal_Bob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:34 pm

1. Was the test done with the newer or original textured GL1500 headlight assembly?

2. (HID related) If I manage to get the newer style headlight, will the focus and scatter be better than the original textured lens because of the built in reflector design and smooth lens? I've had the HID kit for about a year, but do limited night driving and have only gotten flashed a few times, but I know the pattern is non-ideal with the textured lens.

BTW great new review and pics. I bought the original kit because of the other post but never got around to updating my headlight style.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:27 pm

cbx4evr wrote:Excellent report as always. Any way to put the pictures side by side to prevent the need to scroll.

Any idea on pricing?? Don't see them on Cyclemax's site yet.

The should show up on their site tomorrow. Gary says:

The 98-2000 kit with the shims will be $165 and the 88-97 kit without the shims will be $155.
The GL1800 H7’s will be $145 for the low beam kit and $155 for the high beam kit. All will have free shipping to the USA.

No simple way that I have to get the images side by side, without creating new images containing both.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Metal_Bob wrote:1. Was the test done with the newer or original textured GL1500 headlight assembly?

2. (HID related) If I manage to get the newer style headlight, will the focus and scatter be better than the original textured lens because of the built in reflector design and smooth lens? I've had the HID kit for about a year, but do limited night driving and have only gotten flashed a few times, but I know the pattern is non-ideal with the textured lens.

BTW great new review and pics. I bought the original kit because of the other post but never got around to updating my headlight style.

The test was done with the new style clear lens GL1500 headlight.

The HID scatter is more due to the size and shape of the light emitting portion of the bulb and position of the bulb itself than the reflector and lens. The lens on the older style unit has fresnel elements built into it, and the reflector focuses the light with the expectation that it will be further shaped by those fresnel elements. The newer style headlight relies entirely upon the reflector to focus the light - but the end result is the same. Therefore you'll get the same sort of HID scatter with either type of headlight.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Here are some top-to-bottom comparisons (not enough room to format for side-to-side):

Top: Halogen, Bottom: LED, low beam
ImageImage

Top: Halogen, Bottom: LED, high beam

Top: HID, Bottom: LED, low beam

Top: HID, Bottom: LED, high beam

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:35 pm

WingAdmin - great article and pictures, much like your original thread. It's only time, but the 1200 crowd will want to know if this LED can be used in the 1200 bikes. In your review from four years ago you indicated that the 1500 HID system could be used in a 1200. Is this possibly the same?

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Metal_Bob
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Metal_Bob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:32 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Metal_Bob wrote:1. Was the test done with the newer or original textured GL1500 headlight assembly?

The test was done with the new style clear lens GL1500 headlight.

The HID scatter is more due to the size and shape of the light emitting portion of the bulb and position of the bulb itself than the reflector and lens. The lens on the older style unit has fresnel elements built into it, and the reflector focuses the light with the expectation that it will be further shaped by those fresnel elements. The newer style headlight relies entirely upon the reflector to focus the light - but the end result is the same. Therefore you'll get the same sort of HID scatter with either type of headlight.

I'm glad I asked, the LED kit will be cheaper than the newer lens assembly :)

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:47 am

Two years ago (2014) I purchased the SoCalMotogear HID kit at Laconia. The lights were fantastic!, BUT one light flickered on startup and due to the on/off life of Arc lights, one bulb burned out after a few months.

I found that SoCalMotogear had come up with a LED headlight and ordered a set in June of 2015. I dealt with Tim telling him of my experience with the HIDs and that I was ordering the LED to replace it when he told me of a "new" design LED headlight they were working on. In recompense for my HID ordeal, he sent me a set of the new lights with my order those pictured above).

I installed them right away and as WA's pictures show, the light is as bright as the HID light and focused. Field of vision is excellent. After normal use, I now keep the vertical adjustment all the way down to avoid angering other drivers and use the high beam if I need more light.

I can't say enough for SoCalMotogear's customer service. You can order direct from www.socalmotogear.com or through Cyclemax. I also have a set on my 2014 Tundra, also replacing HIDs.

Next is to convert cornering lights to driving LED lights. Yes they have them now, but separate kits.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:20 am

raven41951 wrote:Two years ago (2014) I purchased the SoCalMotogear HID kit at Laconia. The lights were fantastic!, BUT one light flickered on startup and due to the on/off life of Arc lights, one bulb burned out after a few months.

I found that SoCalMotogear had come up with a LED headlight and ordered a set in June of 2015. I dealt with Tim telling him of my experience with the HIDs and that I was ordering the LED to replace it when he told me of a "new" design LED headlight they were working on. In recompense for my HID ordeal, he sent me a set of the new lights with my order those pictured above).

I installed them right away and as WA's pictures show, the light is as bright as the HID light and focused. Field of vision is excellent. After normal use, I now keep the vertical adjustment all the way down to avoid angering other drivers and use the high beam if I need more light.

I can't say enough for SoCalMotogear's customer service. You can order direct from http://www.socalmotogear.com or through Cyclemax. I also have a set on my 2014 Tundra, also replacing HIDs.

Next is to convert cornering lights to driving LED lights. Yes they have them now, but separate kits.

I should note that if you ordered and installed them in June of 2015, they are not the same LEDs as these. These LEDs literally have been in the prototype stage for months, and are so new that availability at this point is very limited. They are quite a bit brighter than the previous generation.

raven41951
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 am

Let me find the box and I'll get back to you. Heading down to get the bike now.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 am

WingAdmin wrote:The HID scatter is more due to the size and shape of the light emitting portion of the bulb and position of the bulb itself than the reflector and lens. The lens on the older style unit has fresnel elements built into it, and the reflector focuses the light with the expectation that it will be further shaped by those fresnel elements. The newer style headlight relies entirely upon the reflector to focus the light - but the end result is the same. Therefore you'll get the same sort of HID scatter with either type of headlight.

I was going to upgrade to the HID on my '96SE, but due to it having the older style lens was expecting to require upgrading the headlight assembly to the '98-'00 style.
To clarify, with these LED headlights, that won't be necessary?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

raven41951
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Correct, will NOT be necessary. I have them on my 94SE with no problems.

Now I have some pics for WA about what I have received from SoCalMotogear, which are pretty self explanatory:
Here is my first purchase, HIDs from Laconia in 2014
Here is my first purchase, HIDs from Laconia in 2014

These are the Kits purchased online in 2015 includes headlights and marker lights.
These are the Kits purchased online in 2015 includes headlights and marker lights.

This is the box the "prototype" LEDs came in
This is the box the "prototype" LEDs came in

This is the packing slip. redacted to maintain my anonymity
This is the packing slip. redacted to maintain my anonymity

These are NOT the LEDs in for the 1500, they are for my Tundra, but the 1500 LEDs look just like them, with the heatsink
These are NOT the LEDs in for the 1500, they are for my Tundra, but the 1500 LEDs look just like them, with the heatsink

If you are ever in Massachusetts, stop by K's Fuel Stop at 297 Lincoln Ave in Haverhill and I'll give you the tour.
PK

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:36 pm

NVSB4 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:The HID scatter is more due to the size and shape of the light emitting portion of the bulb and position of the bulb itself than the reflector and lens. The lens on the older style unit has fresnel elements built into it, and the reflector focuses the light with the expectation that it will be further shaped by those fresnel elements. The newer style headlight relies entirely upon the reflector to focus the light - but the end result is the same. Therefore you'll get the same sort of HID scatter with either type of headlight.

I was going to upgrade to the HID on my '96SE, but due to it having the older style lens was expecting to require upgrading the headlight assembly to the '98-'00 style.
To clarify, with these LED headlights, that won't be necessary?

It should work fine with either lens.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:38 pm

raven41951 wrote:Correct, will NOT be necessary. I have them on my 94SE with no problems.

Now I have some pics for WA about what I have received from SoCalMotogear, which are pretty self explanatory:

If you are ever in Massachusetts, stop by K's Fuel Stop at 297 Lincoln Ave in Haverhill and I'll give you the tour.
PK

The LEDs are similar in the style of heat sink, but the LED chips themselves are brand new, using newer technology - and they are CREE LEDs.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:55 pm

WingAdmin, yet another excellent review!! I was seriously considering going to HID, but thought I'd wait, on the off chance that LED technology would catch up. I seen now that it has, and the fact that this kit uses the original GL1500 reflector & has true high beam/low beam functionality, I guess I need to send off an order...my wife will be thrilled :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Today I found out that Kisan (maker of the Pathblazer headlight modulator) has tested their modulator with this LED and it works fine - that's something else that you can't do with HID lights, they cannot be modulated. You must use the LED version of their headlight modulator.

raven41951
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:30 pm

OK, so Cree is a multi-national manufacturer of LEDs. I am not familiar with them, but you evidently are and I trust your judgment. BTW, I also should have started everything with yes, another excellent review. I guess I got a bit excited that someone else had a similar experience with these LEDs that I had. I looked all over for the pics I took (similar to yours) of installation and testing, but can't find them anywhere. Its only natural that after a year, they would have developed a better, brighter light given the short life span of electronic components (before the next revision comes out). SoCalMotogear seems to be leading the R&D effort on getting their products into bikes and keeping them leading-edge. The 4-wheel versions are not quite as refined as the bike LEDs but excellent nonetheless.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:30 am

raven41951 wrote:OK, so Cree is a multi-national manufacturer of LEDs. I am not familiar with them, but you evidently are and I trust your judgment. BTW, I also should have started everything with yes, another excellent review. I guess I got a bit excited that someone else had a similar experience with these LEDs that I had. I looked all over for the pics I took (similar to yours) of installation and testing, but can't find them anywhere. Its only natural that after a year, they would have developed a better, brighter light given the short life span of electronic components (before the next revision comes out). SoCalMotogear seems to be leading the R&D effort on getting their products into bikes and keeping them leading-edge. The 4-wheel versions are not quite as refined as the bike LEDs but excellent nonetheless.

My wife's car has LED headlights (from the manufacturer) and they are excellent. I was waiting for a similar product to come out for motorcycles! :)

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:29 am

Great write up Scott.
Sticker shock though! :o :(
For the upgrade on my 1800 of $300 total for 4 LED bulbs compared to $30 total for 4 - H7 halogen bulbs. YIKES!
I don't have a CFO to deal with, but still can't justify that difference.

marvincshepard
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing

Postby marvincshepard » Sun May 01, 2016 6:22 am

I hope you didn't answer this allready I didn't see it. Can you explain the difference between the high beam kit and low beam kit? Does that mean we need four bulbs? Thanks for your time.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

tagert
Motorcycle: 1969 Honda 450
1975 GL1000
1985 GL1200A Aspencade
1996 GL1500 SE
2007 750 Shadow Aero

Postby tagert » Sun May 01, 2016 6:34 am

I've been anxious to find something that would give more visibility "down the road" when traveling around the upper 60's and 70's at night. Interstate travel is a crap shoot at best after dark, but from your review of the new LED's for the 1500, it looks more appealing than ever. Great review, I know it must have taken a bunch of time. My one question, will this kit fit the 1996 1500 Si?

kb9lww
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby kb9lww » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 am

Rednaxs60 wrote:WingAdmin - great article and pictures, much like your original thread. It's only time, but the 1200 crowd will want to know if this LED can be used in the 1200 bikes. In your review from four years ago you indicated that the 1500 HID system could be used in a 1200. Is this possibly the same?

Cheers

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:36 am

marvincshepard wrote:I hope you didn't answer this allready I didn't see it. Can you explain the difference between the high beam kit and low beam kit? Does that mean we need four bulbs? Thanks for your time.

This thread has been about the 1500 kit so no he didn't cover the 1800 much though he did mention that there is a difference in the direction the LED aims to the reflector in the light of the 1800 kits. I don't know yet if Scott did a review of the 1800 kits before this. Going to hunt for it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 am

marvincshepard wrote:I hope you didn't answer this allready I didn't see it. Can you explain the difference between the high beam kit and low beam kit? Does that mean we need four bulbs? Thanks for your time.

On a GL1800, yes. The center two bulbs are the low beam, and use the low beam kit, while the outer two bulbs are the high beam, and require the high beam kit. You could of course decide that you are only going to replace the low beams or high beams at this point.

Return to “Product Reviews”