SocalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: SocalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:03 pm

The easiest way to get to the high beam bulbs is to remove the shelter.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:09 am

On my way in to work this morning I noticed that one of my headlights was out, so I guess it's time to upgrade to LED. Looking at Amazon I see the Pathfinder for $110 (same price on Wingstuff). I also see others that are advertised to fit my 2012 GL1800 in the $35 range, but I'm thinking that these are Chinese knock-offs that I probably wouldn't really be happy with. Based on what I've been reading here I'll probably stick with the Pathfinders.

Haven't done much research on the replacement process yet, but from what I've heard it can be a real bitch to replace the bulbs on the GL1800. With that in mind, would it be worth it to get two sets and replace both high and low beams at the same time? I rarely use the high beams, so the OEM ones that I have will probably last the life of the bike. But will the LED low beams just overpower the halogen high beams?
/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:24 pm

The LED lows will not over power the highs. The highs will just have a bit of a yellow tinge as all tungsten/halogen bulbs do.

Replacing the lows are easy, virtually no disassembly of the bike required. The highs on the other hand are a bitch. One good thing about the bulbs is that they are the same bulb, both are H7. If you got two sets you can always put them in the high beams when you get around to changing your air filter.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 am

I replaced just the low beams with the pathfinders in a half hour. Had them on my 1500 too. The low beams are pretty easy to swap out. The high beams require small strong flexible hands. The 1800 uses the same bulb for both low and high beams but the reflectors focus the high beams on a higher plane. WA made a statement about he and a friend swapping out high beam bulbs on an 1800 and said it took much time and effort to achieve it.

I have not had the need/desire to swap out the high beams and I have used the high beams on occasion with no issues. Yes the light is a different hue but it is not a problem for me.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 pm

raven41951 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 am
I replaced just the low beams with the pathfinders in a half hour. Had them on my 1500 too. The low beams are pretty easy to swap out. The high beams require small strong flexible hands. The 1800 uses the same bulb for both low and high beams but the reflectors focus the high beams on a higher plane. WA made a statement about he and a friend swapping out high beam bulbs on an 1800 and said it took much time and effort to achieve it.

I have not had the need/desire to swap out the high beams and I have used the high beams on occasion with no issues. Yes the light is a different hue but it is not a problem for me.
you and me both.

I have HIDs in the Low Beams and they are controlled by the oil pressure switch.

ie, they won't turn on until after the engine is wound up...

the high beams add that little bit of extra light to fill in the "middle" between the front fender, and the highway signs a half mile down the road.... :lol:

I like the "texture" of the filament bulb billing in the middle of the Low Beam.
my low beam for some reason, has a dead zone in the middle of the pattern... it lights up the tree limbs, and most of the road from the fender to about 250 feet or so down the road.

there is a gap for some reason. I just adjust the beam height to make the upper part come down lower, but that leaves a dead zone close in to the bike.... weird, but as hard as it is to get to the headlights, it will never be fixed.
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

erkmann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE

Post by erkmann » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Based on a crossover accident 10/17 I'm all-in on conspicuity and now have the Cyclemax GL1500 LED Headlight Bulb kit (think Pathfinder $ less 10% )on my new to me '99 Aspencade being modulated by the Kisan KI150GW-LED modulator, which I was assured by the folks at Cyclemax was the same as the Pathfinders, trouble-free, and that they'd heard no issues with. Let me tell you....if you don't like the headset click-click-click of modulated incandescents, you'll HATE the buzz-buzz-buzz of modulated LED's. Kisan very kindly steered me into an upgrade to their 'H4/H7 PathBlazer Headlight Modulator to no avail. Filters and ground loop isolators made no difference. I think I'm ready to take on WingAdmin's July '16 posting/elegant solution, though I'm waaay out of my league on this.

Before venturing out into the world of capacitors and toroids, can I throw out a request for feedback on that solution that WingAdmin and others may have experienced in the past 18 months?

erkmann
1997 GL1500 SE

Post by erkmann » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 pm

With only a basic understanding of electronics I was able to cobble together a set of parts and by following WingAdmin’s guidelines I came up with a noise filter that has made a tremendous difference in the buzz-buzz-buzz associated with my Kisan LED headlight modulator. The original instructions called for (25v) 50, 500, and two 2500 microfarad (uF) capacitors and a homemade choke but based on available parts I had to settle on 47, 470, and 2200uF.

The capacitors, diodes, the relay, a pre-configured choke and the 3x4” copperless perfboard came to a grand total of only $14 at my local electronics store.

I chose to take the two blue/black and two green wires and simply bypass the large 4-element plug, leaving the low-beam circuit unmodified. This filter has proven to be 90% effective on AM, FM, and the Sierra Electronics Aux In, but my CB still has a ton of buzz remaining.

Questions:
1. Are my substituted components causing a compromise in the filter?
2. The foto of WingAdmin’s filter appears to show components over and above the parts count of the schematic. Is the schematic a refined, final version?

3. There isn’t much room behind a GL1500 headlight module, and I’m considering substituting a 20/10 amp Mini Relay Assembly https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1 Should that relay handle the load?
4. Could my decision to simply do a bypass for the two blue/black wires and the two green wires be affecting the quality of the filtering?

Thanking everyone in advance for your input. Love the LED's, love the modulator, but the BUZZ? It's gotta GO.

Chris

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:46 am

Nope,

the standard sizing for capacitors is as you found.
and the difference in what was stated, and what you used, is negligible.

the standard number sizing @50 is 47 or 51
likewise for 2500, would be 2200 or 2700 unless it is a custom capacitor... then all rules are off.

all the difference sizes are for, is to try and have a size that has an internal "resonance" at the noise frequency encountered. The smaller caps will catch the high frequency noise, and the very large caps will catch the low frequency noises.

The CB radio noise, is probably a grounding issue with the audio cable.
The grounded end should be at the input to the intercom/audio amplifier unit.

Grounding both ends of a cable can often cause "ground loops" and introduce noise....
fighting noise is not a fun job, you just try to make it as small as possible.

I have the same issue with my GPS, I had to balance the volume levels on the GPS out, and the Intercom IN, and move the connecting cables around to different places in the fairing.... and then I took some aluminium foil and wrapped it around the whole smear of cables...
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am

Your capacitor values are close enough - I did not do a frequency analysis/calculation to derive the values, they were just what I had on hand, and like John said, three different sizes to filter the different frequencies and harmonics in the noise.

The circuit is exactly what you see in the picture - I actually just designed the circuit sitting on the bench as I was building it, and only after someone asked did I create that schematic diagram, from what I had already built.

My circuit is not tucked behind the headlight - it's actually off behind the right hand turn signal, which is why the wires leading to the connectors are as long as they are - and why the relay is off on a pigtail/socket.

A 65 watt high beam circuit will draw around 5 1/2 amps, so a 10 amp relay should be able to handle it if need be. I tend to oversize my relays massively, to prevent mechanical failure in future.

The low beam circuit is also just passed through on my unit, so it's effectively the same as your implementation. You could try disconnecting the connector (physically isolating the low beam circuit) and see if that makes a difference on your CB. Does your alternator have the noise filter installed on it that is installed when the CB is on the bike?

erkmann
1997 GL1500 SE

Post by erkmann » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am

I have a Compu-Fire alternator, which I understand does not have the external condensor as on the native installation.