• Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: SocalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights

Post by Mh434 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:21 am

I must admit, those EBay LED's look identical, except for being white rather than black. They do appear to have both high- and low-beam LED's, too, like the Pathfinder ones.

On the other hand, there isn't that big a difference in price between the EBay ones & Cyclemax - withe the shipping, the EBay units are over $90USD - it's not like they're triple the price. Considering the amount of money involved, Cyclemax's reputation for service, and the warranty, I would still have bought my kit from Cyclemax. After all, we trust our lives to our headlights - not a good place to scrimp, IMHO!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2016 10:53 am

I installed a set of these headlights on my GL1500 yesterday.

Before I go on, I should note that there is another alternative to these LEDs now on the market, from Electrical connection. The Electrical Connection H4 LED is rated at 4000 lumen light output, over the SoCalMotoGear headlights rating of 2400 lumen. I had the opportunity to view them side by side, and the EC bulb does appear marginally brighter - but definitely not what you would expect from almost double the lumen rating.

However, whereas the light from the SoCalMotoGear is very precise and defined, with well-defined cutoffs, the light from the EC LED is sprayed over a much wider area - so while it may put out slightly more light, the end result of the usable light appears much less, because less of it is going down the road where you need it.

Electrical Connection H4 Bulb
Electrical Connection H4 Bulb

The EC bulb has a hard screw-on heatsink that is coupled to the LED with thermal paste. It must be removed before the light is installed, then screwed back into place.

The main benefit claimed by the EC literature is that the LEDs (a set of Philips LEDs, as opposed to the Cree LEDs used in the SoCalMotoGear unit) approximate the position of the halogen filaments in a standard H4 halogen bulb, in theory then utilizing the reflector to the best of its ability. However, this seems to contribute to the spray of light coming out of the assembly - whereas the SoCalMotoGear unit's single point of light creates a sharp, defined cutoff, the array of LEDs on the EC unit can be seen to cause multiple "images" of the cutoff on the projected light.

Electrical Connection H4 Bulb rotating base
Electrical Connection H4 Bulb rotating base

An interesting feature of the EC units is that the angle of the LED can be adjusted to the reflector by rotating the LED in its base.

Drawbacks: aside from the aforementioned spray of light, the EC unit runs considerably hotter that the SoCalMotoGear unit. Perhaps the fact that it is sinking eight LEDs at a time rather than just the one (or two) of the SoCalMotoGear unit is to explain for this. Also, whereas the SoCalMotoGear unit has the low beam LED on at all times, and adds the high beam LED during high beam use, instead the EC unit switches between the sets of low and high beam LEDs. This has the resulting effect of losing some of your low beam light when you switch to high beam. The SoCalMotoGear unit, when switched onto high beam, keeps the existing low beam spread, and adds a tremendous searchlight-like beam of bright light far ahead and up, where you need it.

I'll go into the installation experience in the next message.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2016 11:24 am

I mentioned in the previous message that I had purchased a set of these LEDs for my GL1500, replacing the HID system that was in there previously. I liked the HID system, and it put out a tremendous amount of light, but there were two main problems with it:

- Beam spread: it sprayed light in every direction, even when on low beam. And it was a huge amount of light. I was constantly blinding oncoming drivers, even in the daytime. I had people flashing me ALL the time.

- EMP: the HID system put out a tremendous electromagnetic pulse every time it started up. This pulse was so strong that it would lock up the display on my Bike PC, as well as crash my BulletHD video camera system. I tried every kind of shielding and filtering I could think of to try to mitigate it, to no avail.

In addition, you can't use a headlight modulator with HID lights, and I REALLY love the safety that a headlight modulator affords. LED headlights solve all of these issues.

The SoCalMotoGear LED comes in a nice little box.

Opening it up you see the LEDs, and the shim kit required for use with new-style 1998-2000 model year GL1500 headlights. This shim kit is not needed for older style GL1500 headlights.

The LED itself has a plastic flange bracket on it, with the three alignment tabs.

For use in 1998-2000 GL1500's, the two smaller tabs need to be removed. I used a pair of diagonal wire cutters, and it took two seconds to do.

Instead of the two tabs, the shims are used, which put the tabs in the correct place.

The shims fit over the bracket, and can only fit in the correct position.

The bracket is removed by rotating it counter-clockwise until it unlocks, then pulling it free.

The bracket is then fit into the headlight housing. The plastic tab of the bracket goes into the top, and the two metal shim pieces go into the bottom two slots.

Once installed, the headlight clamp is used to clamp the bracket into place.

How the headlight housing looks with both brackets installed.

The headlight seal is too small for the back of the LED, so it needs to be modified.

I again used diagonal wire cutters, cutting off the rear of the seal as shown.

The LED can then be pushed through:

The LED should be pushed through this far, then it is ready to install.

The LED is inserted into the bracket (already installed), and then rotated clockwise to lock it into the bracket.

With both LEDs installed:

Make sure the seals are rotated properly so that the top of the seal lines up with the registration mark on the housing.

When installed correctly, the LEDs are positioned such that the heat sinks are horizontal, and the wire exits on the top.

The LEDs are then plugged into the sockets that originally plugged into the H4 halogen bulbs.

Next, the heat sinks should be spread open, to provide the maximum surface area for cooling.

Before installing the headlight, I use scotch tape to tape this annoying little plugs into place - it's next to impossible to keep them there when installing the headlight, as they will fall out. You can push the installation bolt right through the tape when the headlight is fastened in place.

There really is very little room behind the headlight once it is installed. There is one hole, on the right side of the bike (left side of the picture), and we will need to use this.

The LEDs have small electronic switching boxes attached to their wires. As I moved the headlight into place, I pushed these switching boxes, along with the headlight plugs themselves, into this hole, so that they don't impinge on the headlight, or the heatsinks.

The heatsinks will squish up against the back wall, but this is OK.

So how do they work? I'm impressed...but that will be a topic for another posting once I have the opportunity to get out and take some video.

I will mention this: I took the opportunity to add a Kisan Pathfinder LED-specific headlight modulator to my bike. You must use a headlight modulator intended for LED bulbs - a regular modulator will end up FLASHING the LEDs instead of modulating them, which is illegal.

The modulator dims the LED by sending a pulse-width modulated signal to the LED. LEDs don't take well to dimming by cutting the voltage, so the correct way to dim them is to flash them on and off, really fast. This is how I built the dimming circuit for my LED brake lights - I built a pulse-width modulation circuit that flashes the LEDs on and off about 200 times a second. The longer the duty cycle that the LED is "on", the brighter the light appears to humans. Vary the pulse width so that the LED is on for a shorter amount of time, and the LED appears dimmer. In actuality, the LED is alternating between full brightness and completely off, but it's doing it so fast that our eyes can't pick it up, and our brains just "average out" the brightness.

On my brake light circuit, I had to throw a couple capacitors in there, because flashing half an amp of LEDs on and off quickly was making some noise that could be picked up in the intercom.

With the Kisan Pathfinder LED headlight modulator active, when it's in dim mode, it's flashing 5 amps of headlight LED on and off at around 100 Hz, which makes a REALLY loud buzz as it flashes: "buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz" Not just through the intercom, but through the radio, too - even through the speakers. It makes the audio system unlistenable.

Therefor I had to design and build a noise suppression circuit with a toroid choke and a bunch of electrolytic capacitors to knock down various frequencies and harmonics. It works perfectly, the noise from the modulator is completely gone.

Noise filter circuit
Noise filter circuit

If anyone is having the same problem, and is really interested in this circuit, let me know and I'll draw it up and post it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2016 12:12 pm

I've also posted a full how to that gives you start-to-finish instructions on installing these LEDs: How to install SoCalMotoGear LED Headlights

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:44 am

Okay, time for a "driving impressions" review of the SoCalMotoGear lights!

As some of you know, I've had some "issues" during the installation process (see my other post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33306 ), but the reasons are given in that post. NONE of those "issues" will likely ever affect anyone else's installation process. I'm here to tell you what you REALLY want to know: what are they like on the road?

First, the light is white. Not just white-ish, or pretty darned white, but piercingly, broad-daylight, WHITE!! It's not bluish, though, which I really appreciate. Think of it as very, very light, with a complete absence of color. One thing you will notice is that every, single vehicle driving by with halogens looks like it's driving with a failed alternator, on battery only, and it's in its last mile before conking out. Really - you find yourself wondering how they can possibly drive with lights that dim & yellow! At one point, I was passing another vehicle on a really dark stretch of country highway (cloudy, no moon, no street lighting, nothing at all). He had the newer style halogens which, a few weeks ago, I would have envied. Not so much, now. When I was alongside him, and we both had our high beams on, and as I passed him I noted that while both our lights reached out on essentially the same angle & height, my lights drowned his out completely. It really looked like his lights had gone out entirely.

Okay, enough subjective superlatives - how about something quantifiable? I did some crude measurements & calculations. At 55 mph (90 Km/h for us Canuckians), on high beam you have 11 seconds' worth of brightly-lit road ahead of you. In distance, that's about 300 yards! While I was out there, I passed a guy, dressed entirely in black, walking up the shoulder. With my 60-watt H4 halogens I'd have been lucky to even notice him at 100-150 yards. With the LED's, he cast a hard shadow at 300 yards! Now THAT'S safety. Now, I'm in abject terror at all the years I've essentially been out-driving my lights at highway speed...

One funny thing - there was a guy coming the other way at one point in a Jeep, with his high beams (as well as at least 6 other driving & spotlights) on, and he obviously didn't plan on dimming them. I gave him about a 1/4 second flash of my high beams, and he immediately dimmed them. Further to that, looking in my mirrors, I then saw him pull over to the side of the road and park after I'd passed...no doubt to rest his eyes for a while and allow his vision to return after staring directly into my "midnight suns". Whoopsie! :shock: Hmm - going to have to be careful with that! I wonder if I can decrease that to 1/8 of a second???

Interestingly, not one single driver seemed to have the slightest problem with glare from my low beams (and, in my little slice of heaven hereabouts, people immediately let you know if this is a problem for them!). Clearly, they're not bothering anyone, despite how bright & white they are.

Bear in mind, too, that one of the 4 LED emitters in my system is partially melted and probably only putting out about 1/2 its full amount of light (see my other post - like I said there, I'm the unluckiest person you ever met with mechanical things!), so when I get my replacement, the lights will be brighter yet.

I've had excellent reports on the lights in daylight use, too. Yesterday, I was on a ride with a lot of other bikes (250 or so, our Blue Knights charity ride for "Ride to Live", in support of prostate cancer research). While no one had any problem with being blinded by my lights, they did consistently say that my bike stood out from the crowd, noticeably, because of them. That, my friends, is the kind of conspicuity that gets you noticed by other riders and cagers, and could save your life.

Anyway, for those on the fence about these lights, I can tell you from personal experience that once you try them, you will never, NEVER, EVER want to go back to halogens. I, too, was concerned about the cost (I am of Scottish heritage, after all), but what value your safety and that of your passengers? All in all, an excellent upgrade at a reasonable cost, all things considered, in my humble opinion.

ozemarketeer
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 SE with 2016 Californian Side Car (CSC) Trike Conversion
2014 Champion Colorado Sport Trailer

Post by ozemarketeer » Tue May 31, 2016 6:04 am

Well thought through and presented Mh434. I support your comments 110% (without exaggeration). Where I live the local roads are a challenge during the day with tight turns, uneven surfaced caused by our milk tankers and poor road finish and the occasional Heifer that had lost its way. Come nightfall, and all those creatures carefully hiding in the scrub come out to play. Any one of them can bring a motorcyclist unstuck. These Pathfinder LEDs make it a pleasure to highlight these critters and give you a safety buffer I was foolish enough to ignore in a previous life.
Kudos to Wing Admin for a well laid out and clearly instructed plan to install these units.
It is with some relief I see the new instructions accompanying the lights will be better laid out. Best thing they could do, for all concerned, is use Wing Admin's step by step instructions.
At the risk of repeating myself, these lights would have to be one of the better safety purchases, we as motorcyclists, should avail ourselves to. You will not be disappointed with the results.
Honour the Dead - But Fight Like Hell for the Living

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks, Ozemarketeer!

And you're right - as usual, WingAdmin's installation writeup was excellent...as usual! Lots of clear pictures, well laid out, as we've come to expect from WingAdmin!

By the way - I've already heard back from Tim at SoCalMotoGear! They're shipping out a replacement LED as we speak! As I figured, my issue was the only recorded problem to date - no surprise to me, as I am truly "the unluckiest guy you ever met", and "Murphy" is my co-pilot. They were even prepared to help me source a replacement headlight unit (I was happy to tell them I think I've solved that issue, so it wouldn't be necessary anymore).

Now, THAT'S service...and a darned good reason to buy from SoCalMotoGear, rather than Ebay so as to save a few bucks. I can't imagine the warranty process would be as good from the far east...:shock:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 pm

I took my bike out for a test ride tonight with the LED headlights installed. Definitely brighter than halogen, but also definitely nowhere near as bright as the HID bulbs, which I expected. I have a BulletHD Biker Pro camera on my bike, so I took video of the ride, which is below.

I also have auxiliary driving lights, which make a fair bit of difference, which were NOT turned on during the ride.

One thing I definitely notice: when the low beam is adjusted to the correct height, the high beam is FAR too high up - it illuminates the trees overhead and not much else. Adjusting the headlight down far enough that the high beam is at the correct height, the low beam ends up being far too low.

Pre-1998 GL1500 headlights can adjust the high beam height individually without removing the headlight from the bike. 1998 and later GL1500 headlights you have to remove the headlight and make the adjustment on the back, so I will have to make that adjustment when I have more time. I also noticed tonight that having the HID bulbs in my bike for a few years now, they have left a fog on the low-beam reflector inside, that I will have to clean off when I next have it out. No doubt this is going to affect the low beam light output negatively.

I'm actually surprised - on the video, it looks quite a bit darker than it appears in person. I was able to see quite a ways down the road with no issues at all.

In the meantime, here's my video with the LED headlights installed:

As a comparison, here is a video with the HID bulbs installed:

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:46 pm

I have my Pathfinder-equipped headlights aligned differently - my high beam pattern is much higher, & the brightness looks like the HID lights in your video. Of course, it is very difficult to capture night scenes accurately on video - the human eye sees things cameras do not (I'm sure you could actually see much farther than the video makes it appear). I wonder if the difference in light has something to do with my early-style, glass headlight vs. the later style assembly? Interesting - my bike is a '97 SE, with its original headlight, but it is the earlier style - I suppose the change-over must have occurred mid-year in 1997. I do like the glass lenses, though - they don't cloud up like plastic ones seem to (every year I have to polish the lights on all our cars, as the lights get crazed & fogged).

During my testing, I did do one brief stint up to a fairly high speed, and found that at any sane speed I couldn't out-drive my new lights. I'm chuffed, as they say!

By the way, WingAdmin, I, too, found that when I had the high beams adjusted properly, the low beams were too low. I had thought that was due to my "issues" with the headlight buckets & adjusters, but maybe not. In any case, I have a set of the Chinese 20-watt LED driving lights (with the "wide" pattern), which fill in the low-beam area completely (both shoulders are fully lit, too), so the low beam aim isn't really an issue for me.

By the way - I already received a shipping notice from SoCalMotoGear, about 10 minutes after I got an email from them, saying they'd send a replacement LED module out. That's quick!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:15 am

WingAdmin wrote:... with the LED headlights installed. Definitely brighter than halogen, but also definitely nowhere near as bright as the HID bulbs, which I expected.
That makes up my mind on that issue. I will have to keep the HID set up in my GL1500. I had thought that I wanted to take out the HID's and install the LED's because I missed having my modulator on-board.

I already ordered and received the LED's for the high lights for my GL1800 and thought of making the switch to LED's for low beams as well. But think I will just keep the HID's in the low beams on that bike as well.
WingAdmin wrote:I also noticed tonight that having the HID bulbs in my bike for a few years now, they have left a fog on the low-beam reflector inside, that I will have to clean off when I next have it out. No doubt this is going to affect the low beam light output negatively.
How will you be able to clean the reflector? It doesn't appear that there is a way to access the reflector. Please let us know how it is accomplished just in case we need to do it too.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:43 am

WingAdmin wrote:Definitely brighter than halogen, but also definitely nowhere near as bright as the HID bulbs, which I expected.
I guess I'm back to being confused on which way to go. What was the determining factor for your switch to LED over the HIDs that you had installed?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:28 am

From WingAdmin's original post:

"There's one main problem with HID lights however: the arc in the HID bulb that produces that incredibly bright light is not in the same position as the filaments in a standard stock halogen bulb. Because the headlight reflector is designed to focus light produced by the stock bulb filaments, the end result is light scattered beyond where it is supposed to go. As those of us with aftermarket HID kits in our bikes can attest, HID headlights throw light out like a shotgun, and the drivers around us don't like it. I've lost count of the number of times I have been flashed by someone who is being dazzled by my HID headlight - even on low beam. Yes, it throws a lot of light that is fantastic at night - but it is potentially blinding oncoming drivers, which is not a good thing."

I know of others who've had the same experience with aftermarket installations of HID's, and I've been blinded by them myself. These LED's are specifically designed to work with your GL1500 reflectors to produce the same pattern as halogens (only with far better lighting) so while they're a huge improvement in lighting, they don't blind other drivers.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:38 am

Had I not already spent the $150 to upgrade my halogen headlights to HID, I would not hesitate to spend the money to go to the LED's from stock halogen bulbs. The light is better than halogen, the LED's are specifically designed to replace the halogen and you can still use the Kisan modulator with the LED software code to modulate your high beams, something that is not possible with the HID's.

If you are on the fence about lighting, the LED technology is now good enough for me to say, go LED.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

phochief
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Post by phochief » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:59 pm

I installed the Pathfinder LED low beam lights on my 2010 GL1800 about a week ago. All I can say is that it's a difference between night and day (pun intended). So so so much better than the H7 halogens. Love the clear daylight and extra illumination down the road. Each light comes with one LED on top and one on the bottom. I have the adjuster set all the way down.

I didn't replace my high beams and doubt I will. When I switch from low to high beams, you can see the mixture of daylight and yellow down the road, but it's way brighter than before.

Installation with my big hands took about 30 minutes. After a long ride, the heat sinks were not even warm.

Definitely happy with this upgrade to my GL1800 and would recommend them to anyone wanting more "daylight" at night.

David

dheaton
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Post by dheaton » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:17 pm

I just had these 4800 Lumen Led lights installed at a rally in New Mexico last Saturday. I noticed right away the difference. I had them installed in the low beem location so they are on with my Modulators. That night we headed for a different town. My friends bike had the hid's installed. We rode side by side and the Led's on my bike were as bright if not brighter than his hid's. I am very happy with them and plan to have the 4800's installed in the bright location at our district rally this July. I ride an o4 1800.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:27 pm

NVSB4 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Definitely brighter than halogen, but also definitely nowhere near as bright as the HID bulbs, which I expected.
I guess I'm back to being confused on which way to go. What was the determining factor for your switch to LED over the HIDs that you had installed?
Three factors:

1. The HID ballasts were creating an electromagnetic pulse every time they started or restarted that would lock up the "Bike PC" display that I built, as well as my onboard video camera. No amount of filtering or electronics that I built to try to mitigate the issue had any effect.

2. The HID lights sprayed (extremely bright) light in every direction. It was blinding to oncoming drivers. I could see amazingly well, but I CONSTANTLY had people flashing their high beams at me, when my high beams weren't turned on. It even happened in daylight.

3. I really wanted to have my headlight modulator back.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:32 pm

Mh434 wrote:I have my Pathfinder-equipped headlights aligned differently - my high beam pattern is much higher, & the brightness looks like the HID lights in your video. Of course, it is very difficult to capture night scenes accurately on video - the human eye sees things cameras do not (I'm sure you could actually see much farther than the video makes it appear). I wonder if the difference in light has something to do with my early-style, glass headlight vs. the later style assembly? Interesting - my bike is a '97 SE, with its original headlight, but it is the earlier style - I suppose the change-over must have occurred mid-year in 1997. I do like the glass lenses, though - they don't cloud up like plastic ones seem to (every year I have to polish the lights on all our cars, as the lights get crazed & fogged).

During my testing, I did do one brief stint up to a fairly high speed, and found that at any sane speed I couldn't out-drive my new lights. I'm chuffed, as they say!

By the way, WingAdmin, I, too, found that when I had the high beams adjusted properly, the low beams were too low. I had thought that was due to my "issues" with the headlight buckets & adjusters, but maybe not. In any case, I have a set of the Chinese 20-watt LED driving lights (with the "wide" pattern), which fill in the low-beam area completely (both shoulders are fully lit, too), so the low beam aim isn't really an issue for me.

By the way - I already received a shipping notice from SoCalMotoGear, about 10 minutes after I got an email from them, saying they'd send a replacement LED module out. That's quick!
The high beam portion of the headlight can be adjusted independently of the low beam portion. On the older style lights, you remove the grille below the headlight. Look for the adjuster screw below the headlight, in the middle. To the left of this screw you'll see a rubber plug. Remove this rubber plug and there is another adjuster uncovered. This adjuster adjusts the high beam independently of the rest of the light.

On the newer style headlights, the headlight must be removed. There is a bolt on a spring on the left upper side as shown in the picture below. This is what the headlight adjuster presses against when you rotate the control on the dash, and screwing it in or out makes the high beam merge with the low beam, I found. You can test it by pressing it in with your finger while the high beam is on.

High Beam Adjuster
High Beam Adjuster

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

MikeB wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I also noticed tonight that having the HID bulbs in my bike for a few years now, they have left a fog on the low-beam reflector inside, that I will have to clean off when I next have it out. No doubt this is going to affect the low beam light output negatively.
How will you be able to clean the reflector? It doesn't appear that there is a way to access the reflector. Please let us know how it is accomplished just in case we need to do it too.
Remove the bulb, take a soft cloth, reach in with a finger and wipe the reflector. It's directly above the bulb, so it's easily accessible through the bulb hole in the back.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 pm

I should note that Kisan is aware of the noise problems that I encountered with their LED modulator, and they have made a product revision - and are replacing all existing LED modulators - to fix the problem.

Metal_Bob
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Metal_Bob » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Well as an owner of the SoCal HID kit I'm on the fence about the LED swap.

* Yes the HID spread is extreme and HI beam is basically useless (as currently adjusted).
* I don't have any EMP issues.
* I rarely get flashed day or night. (Maybe people just don't bother or it so hard to tell HI beams from improperly aimed and HID beams now-a-days).
* I really do like how BRIGHT the HIDs are.
* I'm cheap and hate to spend ANOTHER $155 when I just upgraded last spring.

If I do swap to LED, I'll also add my 2x Denali D2 Low/High 10W driving lights. (I KNOW those are great for ground and curb illumination - I had them on my bike prior to the Goldwing).

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 am

I installed these in the high beams of my 1800. I must say they are without a doubt way brighter than the hids. The low beams have a larger diameter reflector so they spread the hid light out over a larger area. The lows light up both shoulders of the road. These leds have a narrower beam that when they hit reflector signs practically blind me. You may need to adjust your headlights after installing these leds. Other than the installation, which is a pita on an 1800 high beam I really recommend these.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Have been considering an alternative to HIDs. Its been over a year now after installing them. They are intensely bright (nice during the day to be seen - this has saved me many times from having cars pull out on me). But I also was having cars (even had a lifted pickup) flash there lights at me because they were dazzled. The HIDs were causing hot spots in the reflector but the worst part was how the HID's bounced light off the bottom of the reflector into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I switched the bulbs that came with the kit to ones I bought off ebay that have a shroud. These seem to have helped greatly. Haven't been flashed since and has gotten rid of most of the annoying hot spots created by the HIDs. High beams work well. Not saying that this is ideal at all but its way better than when I first installed them. Just the arc coming from the HID is painful to look at. And the shroud gets rid of that. I'm not sure about the LEDs. Been thinking maybe giving projectors a try. Such an expense though that I would have to buy the new style headlight. Been mulling this over for awhile now. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 am

Stop mulling and go LED you will not regret it. Longer life, better light and less power consumption.
I replaced my brake lights (4) with LED "bulbs". I no longer get that rpm drop at idle when the brake lights come on, sucking all the amps. Worth every penny.

dheaton
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Post by dheaton » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:01 am

I agree.
Brighter light, less draw, works with flashers.
Here is who I got mine from at a rally. They are located in Utah. Very impressed with them.
Cycle Light Solutions 801-879-7887
info@cyclelightsolutions.com Talk to Craig Merrill

Guaranteed the life of the bulb and my complete satisfaction.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 pm

I had mentioned in my earlier posts that I'd had a problem with one of the Pathfinder units - one of the LED's, on one of the units, was faulty - it had melted and blackened (this could ONLY happen to me!), although it still emitted some light. I had emailed both Cyclemax & SoCalMotoGear about the issue.

Tim, at SoCalMotoGear, immediately dispatched not only a replacement unit, but a complete replacement set to me!!! Now, THAT'S service, and standing behind your products!! Believe me, the SoCalMotoSports guys are the greatest.

The new sets also include the updated instructions, including my suggested changes, so others won't be tempted to make the same mistakes I did... :roll:

I am SO glad I didn't buy offshore...