Alps Mountaineering Taurus tent.

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Alps Mountaineering Taurus tent.

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:15 pm

I've got a little 2 man Wal-Mart tent I used for several years without any problems. :D
That was up until I spent the night in it, in a storm in western Kansas. The wind blew the rain fly up and the rain in. I slept that night (finally) in my rainsuit. :cry:
Bringing my problem to goldwingdocs got me several recommendations on what kind of tent to get.
I got the Alps Mountaineering Taurus 2 man tent. About 2 weeks ago now, I was in Crosby, North Dakota. A stones throw from Canada.
I was in my new tent when a storm came up. Thunder & lightening, heavy rain and wind! Recalling my previous experience, I was expecting to get wet and my rainsuit was locked up on the bike.
Well, I didn't have to set up and try to hold my tent up in the wind. Then I remembered I hadn't waterproofed the tent yet! :o
Next morning I was still dry. Tree limbs were laying all around. The Goldwing was leaning over way too much as the sidestand sunk into the ground.
The tent had kept me, my sleeping bag and everything inside it dry. The heavier fiberglass poles had withstood the wind.
The rain fly had kept the rain out! (On cooler nights the rain fly will help keep it a bit warmer inside too.)
On hot nights I left the rain fly off and the ventilation is very good. And I got a very good price on this tent on Amazon.
Its easy for one person to set up and take down and packs small enough I carried it in my left saddlebag.
For my needs, this tent is perfect. It will keep you dry! :D

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Alps Mountaineering Taurus tent.

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:20 pm

Do you have a link to this tent ? How small does it pack down, how large are the INTERIOR dementions , what other info can you provide for us. . . . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:57 am

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:08 pm

I didn't go out and set up my tent but I found the dimensions online.
It has a floor 7'6" X 5'0". I am about 6'2" or 6'3" and that seems about right. I can stretch out without kicking the end out. Its only 46" tall so you cannot stand up in it to pull your britches on.
Packed up, it's 22" long and 6" in diameter. I was able to pack it a bit smaller by putting the bags with the poles and spikes in the boot, then put the tent and rainfly itself in the left saddlebag.
With the rainfly on and staked out, you have about 32" outside each entrance, (they call it a vestibule) where you can put your boots or whatever, and it'll be covered and out of the weather.
Total weight for the tent is listed at 6 lbs. 7 ozs.
For one person its great. Never had the wife with me. If you don't sleep in the same spot twice and just need the tent for a place to sleep before the next days travel, it's a great little tent that will keep you dry. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I just checked, $72.54 on Amazon right now and I think it said free shipping.
Better than the eighty some dollars I paid for mine. :lol:

Return to “Product Reviews”