Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

SuperbrightLEDs.com Mini-Aux Driving Lights

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:56 pm

I have replaced every single light on my bike with LEDs - even the dashboard and the handlebars - all except for the driving lights.

The driving lights on my bike were large round Markland halogen lights, long discontinued. They are incredible lights, and throw a huge amount of light out - but they looked out of place on my bike - yellowish compared to the white light emitted by the LEDs. So I decided to change them to LEDs as well.

After doing some research, I decided on the 10 watt Mini-Aux LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs.com. Drawing only 10 watts per light (as opposed to the 55 watts per light of my old halogen lights) I would also save quite a bit of power.

These waterproof (submersible!) 900 lumen lights are compact, and come in various beam widths: 10°, 30°, 60° and 120°. 120° is extremely wide, and illuminates not much more than the road immediately in front of you.

I ordered one 10° light and one 30° light. The 10° light, concentrating most of its light in a narrow beam far away, would be mounted on the left side of the bike to throw light as far as possible without blinding oncoming drivers. The 30° light would be mounted on the right side of the bike, and aimed slightly to the right. This would illuminate the right side of the road as well as the shoulder and ditch, to light up any nighttime wildlife. At $34.95 apiece, these lights are a steal.

Each light is packaged in a small plastic container, and comes with a lifetime warranty - something you get by default from SuperbrightLEDs, that you don't get from the Chinese eBay sellers.

The back of the package describes the CREE LEDs, IP68 rated sealed housing and polycarbonate lens.

Power drawn is only 10 watts, and the lights will run off 9 to 50 VDC. The light temperature is 6500K, or "cool white." 900 lumens of light is provided by a CREE XM-L LED.

The lights themselves are quite compact, only just over two inches square, and just slightly more than two inches long.

Should you desire more light, the lights can be "connected" using included hardware, so you can create a "row" of lights all connected to one another. Originally I had thought I might buy four of these lights, and mount a second set on the bottom of the first set - but the first set puts out so much light, I realized it really wasn't necessary.

More package details.

The lights come in white or black, I selected black (despite my white bike) because it's easier to keep clean!

Inside the package is the light, the mounting bracket, an optional connecting bracket (used to connect the light to another light), and a completely waterproof connector harness.

The connector is an extremely high quality, fully waterproof design.

Looking at the lens, you can see a magnifying lens over the LED itself, as well as a parabolic reflector surrounding it.

The mounting bracket slides into and mounts onto the light the same way the connecting bracket does.

The connecting bracket can be used instead of or in addition to the mounting bracket.

The mounting bracket slides into the light, and is secured using the included allen screw.

The connecting bracket does the same, sliding into a slot on the light, and fastening in place with an included allen screw.

I mounted the lights underneath the front cowl of my GL1500. I used existing light mounts that connect to the fairing frame to mount the lights. The light on the right side of the bike is angled slightly outward, and can be seen next to my camera. The mounting brackets are extremely sturdy, and can be used to position the light in any direction desired. The lights do not move or vibrate once tightened.

You can see the light bolted to the mounting bracket.

The moment of truth: The lights are extremely bright! Taken from the right side of the bike, you can see that the right-side light, with its wider beam spread and slightly outward angle, appears brighter than the left side light.

With my LED headlight on high beam and all other lights on, the amount of light blasted out from the front of my bike is breathtaking - yet it is well-aimed, and does not dazzle oncoming cars.

Overall I am extremely happy with these lights, and you really can't beat the price. Below is a video taken from my on-bike camera, travelling through some extremely dark, remote areas of southern Ohio, towing my camper, with my LED headlight and these LED driving lights in use. The lights actually light up the road (and trees) quite a bit more than what appears in this video: the lights are so bright, they are causing the camera to dial down its sensitivity, so it is not recording anywhere near what it could be in the dark!

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: SuperbrightLEDs.com Mini-Aux Driving Lights

Postby Maz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:56 am

Just read your post on these and they look very impressive. However, I am bothered by the fact that on the back of the package, it states that they draw 6.8A (each)! This is 2 and a bit Amps MORE than a 55W Halogen! I assume this is due to the LED driver circuitry housed within the unit and the electronics to enable it to be 'multi-volt', so, even if the LED is only 10W (which on its own at 12v will draw less than 1 Amp), there is no power saving to be made by using these lights, in fact you are using more power. It doesn't actually show, however, at what voltage the 6.8 A is drawn, but, if it's at 12V, you are actually using 81W!
If I am missing something or have not grasped the full picture, I am happy to be corrected.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:10 am

I would be willing to bet that the decimal place is in the wrong place for that 6.8 amps on the back of the package. I suspect it is is supposed to be .68 amps.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 am

MikeB wrote:I would be willing to bet that the decimal place is in the wrong place for that 6.8 amps on the back of the package. I suspect it is is supposed to be .68 amps.

Hmmm, something's not quite right. If it is .68 Amps, that means the power is only 8 and a bit Watts. Maybe WingAdmin could measure the current?
Maz

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 am

Yes, at 12 volts it would be 8.6 watts but .68 amps at 14 volts, which most vehicle systems operate at, would be 9.52 watts.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Fair point. I guess I'm just nit-picking. I would personally like to see quoted Amps at a specific voltage , when an item has an input voltage range from 9 to 50v. Misprints on electronic device specifications always makes me think 'cheap Chinese'.
Maz

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm

I should have mentioned this, but I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. You're completely right. I saw that "6.8 amps" as well, and I said, WHOA! Never seen an LED that draws that much before!

So when I had them out of the package, I hooked them up to a spare motorcycle battery and my ammeter...and the verdict: 0.82 amps, or 9.84 watts.

So I have no idea where the 6.8 amps came from.

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:01 am

WingAdmin wrote:I should have mentioned this, but I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. You're completely right. I saw that "6.8 amps" as well, and I said, WHOA! Never seen an LED that draws that much before!

So when I had them out of the package, I hooked them up to a spare motorcycle battery and my ammeter...and the verdict: 0.82 amps, or 9.84 watts.

So I have no idea where the 6.8 amps came from.

Strange. The packaging company must have been having a bad day! I'm just trying to get my head around how bright that LED would be if it WAS drawing 6.8A!!
Nice looking lamps and superb illumination. Nice to have the option of different beam angles too.
Maz

DpaulTN
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

Postby DpaulTN » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:27 am

According to the superbrightleds.com web site, the current draw is 680mA. Much better!!

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:43 am

Those will definitely serve the purpose.
Lots of light on the roadway at night and bright during the day to help others see you.

A couple of questions though.
1. Do you have these switched, or are they on all the time?
2. What mounting bracket do you have? I like that it isn't the additional bar going across.
3. How did you wire them? From what I can see, they come with wiring that's about 26" long. I'm sure that you went to your power plate (for the fuse and relay), but would Superbright's LED wiring harness that includes a switch, connectors for 2 lights, longer wire and fuse + relay be an easier install?

You've got to quit coming up with so many things like this. You're driving my wife mad when I try to even come close to keeping up with you. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:19 pm

NVSB4 wrote:Those will definitely serve the purpose.
Lots of light on the roadway at night and bright during the day to help others see you.

A couple of questions though.
1. Do you have these switched, or are they on all the time?
2. What mounting bracket do you have? I like that it isn't the additional bar going across.
3. How did you wire them? From what I can see, they come with wiring that's about 26" long. I'm sure that you went to your power plate (for the fuse and relay), but would Superbright's LED wiring harness that includes a switch, connectors for 2 lights, longer wire and fuse + relay be an easier install?

You've got to quit coming up with so many things like this. You're driving my wife mad when I try to even come close to keeping up with you. :D

Some quick answers:

1. I have them switched, with a clutch reservoir mounted switch that looks like this:

2. The mounting brackets were left over from my old Markland lights. They are a kind of a "J" shape, with a U-bolt that fastens to the fairing frame, and extends out and out to provide a hidden and solid mounting point for the lights. They haven't been made in years...perhaps I should make some and sell them. :)

3. I had wiring in place already from the old lights, so I spliced into that wiring, cutting away most of the wire that the lights came with. Power comes from the power plate, to my switch, and from there to the lights. The LEDs hardly draw any current, so you don't really need a switch harness with a 20 amp relay like the one you posted - any reasonable switch capable of switching a few amps will be able to do it.

Return to “Product Reviews”