LED Headlights from The Electrical Connection & LED Highbeams from SoCalMotoGear

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
wmerryall
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800, Illusions Red, matching 2001 Bushtec Quantum GL
1985 GL1200LTD

LED Headlights from The Electrical Connection & LED Highbeams from SoCalMotoGear

Post by wmerryall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:58 pm

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: LED Headlights from The Electrical Connection & LED Highbeams from SoCalMotoGear

Post by thrasherg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Did I miss something? I read the 2 page PDF and it talks about installation and then it states results, but I don't see any results, I have no idea what he thinks of the LED or HID or how it compares with stock Halogen bulbs? What was his findings? What where the light patterns like? How much light did each product produce?

Gary

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Re: LED Headlights from The Electrical Connection & LED Highbeams from SoCalMotoGear

Post by wmerryall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi Gary,

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion over this. While I did not have a means of directly measuring the light output of these products they are well above that of Halogen, approaching that of HID. The light patterns are, by design, close to that of the factory bulbs. One thing I experienced after the fact was while riding one afternoon on a sunny day a yellow "caution" sign several hundred feet down the road quite visibly showed the reflection of the high beams as I toggled them on and off. Both products left me quite impressed!

Bill

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Post by thrasherg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks Bill, I hadn't realised you had run the test, I thought it was an article from a magazine that you had included so I had just expected more details about how the bulbs compared. Thanks for clarifying and sharing, I wasn't trying to be nasty, just couldn't understand what the final conclusion was!! :D

Regards Gary

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 pm

No problem Gary. One thing I like about this type of forum is the opportunity to answer questions and discuss results. Magazine publication does not afford this aside from letters to the editor and this takes months to accomplish. Please feel free to ask anytime.

Bill

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Bill, even though I have a 1500, I enjoyed your article in this month's Wing World.
I also liked your shed idea for your daughter. I kept imagining how I could modify for a wing without getting too large.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks! The big problem with the Wing is the windshield, they just don't hinge down.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:58 am

The really strange thing about that is right after I posted the message, I saw your post to the Goldwing Garage.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:49 am

While I've been part of GoldwingDocs for a while posting links to my evaluations is something I've just started doing. Major changes to my work will be announced shortly.

ndfan77
Motorcycle: 2016 Gold Wing GL1800

Post by ndfan77 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:12 pm

wmerryall wrote:Hi Gary,

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion over this. While I did not have a means of directly measuring the light output of these products they are well above that of Halogen, approaching that of HID. The light patterns are, by design, close to that of the factory bulbs. One thing I experienced after the fact was while riding one afternoon on a sunny day a yellow "caution" sign several hundred feet down the road quite visibly showed the reflection of the high beams as I toggled them on and off. Both products left me quite impressed!
Bill,

I've been trying to understand what choices are available for GL1800 LED headlights, and most of the discussion on various forums seems to be around the Pathfinder and Electrical Connection lights.

Can you explain why you used Electrical Connection lights in the low beams and Pathfinder's for the high beams? Brightness and beam pattern are the most important for me, but I'm also not too crazy about having to permanently cut up OEM bike parts (the rubber boots) necessary for Pathfinder installation.

The Electrical Connection lights are supposed to have a lumen output of 4000, while the Pathfinder low beams are advertised at 2400 lumens and high beams at 4800.

So off-the-cuff, the EC lights seem like a better bet for brightness, beam dispersion, and not having to permanently destroy part of the OEM equipment (and also appear to be manufactured to a somewhat higher standard).

Are these the reasons you went with EC for the low beams? And why Pathfinders for the high beam? Are they brighter?

Thanks!

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:23 pm

The only reason for my having used both products is they became available for evaluation around the same time. Both do a great job and I can appreciate your desire not to modify the boots.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm

I have the SoCal Pathfinders, and I love 'em...but there's one teensy little issue. When they designed them, they put the hi-and-low emitters at precisely the same distance (on the "bulb" stalk) from the reflector. The problem with that is that, if you look at an H-4 halogen bulb (which the Pathfinders are designed to emulate in pattern), you'll see that the emitters (filaments, in the case of the halogen bulbs) are actually set at considerably different distances from the headlight reflector...and the reflectors are designed to aim the light with bulbs so-designed. A view of a stock H-4 bulb's filaments will illuminate this (pardon the pun!).

**As I have a GL1500 (with only two headlight "bulbs), I can't comment on SoCal's Pathfinder setup for the GL1800, which uses 4 bulbs (2 for high beam, and 2 for low beam). This issue may well not exist in the GL1800 set.**

The result of this is that the Pathfinder "bulbs", while tremendously bright & glare-free, essentially give you the choice of either a) accurately aimed high beams, or b) accurately-aimed low beams, but not both. While the GL1500 has the ability to adjust high- and low-beams separately, it can't adjust nearly enough to overcome this disparity.

On my bike, I also have a pair of waterproof, Chinese-made, wide-beam spotlights (mounted under the front of the fairing), which I've aimed as though they were low-beam headlights, so my SoCal low beams are augmented & the pattern is great.

The SoCal high-beams, adjusted properly for such use, are nothing short of astounding.

I posted this shortcoming some months ago, and now I note that many manufacturers are producing LED/H-4 replacement bulbs with this discrepancy fixed (the LED emitters are properly spaced on the stalks, so aiming with stock reflectors will be accurate for both high- and low-beams). One set I looked at yesterday (Ebay, from China) uses a Philips LED emitter set, properly spaced on the stalk, which they claim produces 8,000 lumens per bulb, for a total of 16,000 lumens. To give an idea how much illumination that is, top-tier (i.e. $$$$$, and short-lived) H-4 bulbs only produce 1,500 lumens, so these LED replacements produce about 5 1/2 times the light of high-end H-4's.

I do note, however, that these LED's draw almost as much current as cheap H-4's (which produce around 1,100 lumens). With an aftermarket alternator, though, it would be easy to more than quintuple the amount of light on your bike, while still having a slight reduction in overall current draw.

Hope this helps...

gl1500foster
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500

Post by gl1500foster » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:27 am

Mh434 wrote:I posted this shortcoming some months ago, and now I note that many manufacturers are producing LED/H-4 replacement bulbs with this discrepancy fixed (the LED emitters are properly spaced on the stalks, so aiming with stock reflectors will be accurate for both high- and low-beams). One set I looked at yesterday (Ebay, from China) uses a Philips LED emitter set, properly spaced on the stalk, which they claim produces 8,000 lumens per bulb, for a total of 16,000 lumens. To give an idea how much illumination that is, top-tier (i.e. $$$$$, and short-lived) H-4 bulbs only produce 1,500 lumens, so these LED replacements produce about 5 1/2 times the light of high-end H-4's.
Can you post a link to some of these? I'd like to see what they look like. If you do get some, can you let me know how they work for you?

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:01 am

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:38 am

gl1500foster wrote:
Mh434 wrote:I posted this shortcoming some months ago, and now I note that many manufacturers are producing LED/H-4 replacement bulbs with this discrepancy fixed (the LED emitters are properly spaced on the stalks, so aiming with stock reflectors will be accurate for both high- and low-beams). One set I looked at yesterday (Ebay, from China) uses a Philips LED emitter set, properly spaced on the stalk, which they claim produces 8,000 lumens per bulb, for a total of 16,000 lumens. To give an idea how much illumination that is, top-tier (i.e. $$$$$, and short-lived) H-4 bulbs only produce 1,500 lumens, so these LED replacements produce about 5 1/2 times the light of high-end H-4's.
Can you post a link to some of these? I'd like to see what they look like. If you do get some, can you let me know how they work for you?
Here's a link for the ones I was talking about (with Philips emitter chips) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Philips-LED- ... 2199186381

A quick look at the closeup photo of these bulbs shows the differential spacing in the emitters I was talking about, so as to properly utilize the headlight reflectors.

These are merely representative of what's available now. Search "LED H-4 bulbs" on Ebay and you'll see there are many, many choices available, and almost all of them now appear to be manufactured to properly aim both high- and low-beams. Prices seem to be fairly consistent in the $50 USD - $60 USD range per set. Around my area, that's around the same as a pair of higher-quality (but NOT top-tier) halogen bulbs. These LED's have a quoted life of 50,000 hours' burn-time. The high-end halogens have a life span quoted in weeks...

BTW, as these come from China, sometimes the translation from Chinese to English is...uh...entertaining! Here's another link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Philips-LED- ... iU&vxp=mtr A look at the description at the bottom includes a reference to the orange-dipped tip of the bulb as "orange color, passion and dream, for better life", and as for the construction of the unit, "screw fixation, more solid" (that one seems a bit rude! :lol: )

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these for the car I'm scratch-building (a copy of a 1969 Lotus Super 7 Mk. III Twin Cam). It has large, chrome (well, stainless) headlight buckets with Bosch 7" bulb-type headlights. As the car's headlights are very close to the road (which reduces apparent illumination of headlights, as so much of the light reflects off the road), and has a very small (Miata-sourced) battery, these might be an ideal way to reduce the load on the electrical budget, and get a huge increase in light output, all at the same time.
Last edited by Mh434 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Those look identical to the Electrical Connection LED bulbs.

The bulbs in the eBay listing:
Electrical Connection bulb:

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:27 pm

They do, indeed! These days, it's almost impossible to buy a domestic product without at least parts of it (or, all of it) coming from China. The edges of "desirability based on place of origin" are becoming blurred, indeed. Buying domestically is now, IMHO, primarily for advantages of warranty issues, etc., rather than build quality - if all of some particular item actually originate in China (but may be re-badged in North America, possibly tagged as "assembled in the USA" or "assembled in Canada"), build quality is essentially no longer part of the equation. At that point, price vs. likelihood of warranty issues becomes the important balancing point for purchase decisions.

The EC bulbs, which appear identical to the China-sourced units, are roughly double the price of the offshore ones, at $109.95 USD for a two-bulb system. For some, the difference in price would be inconsequential in light of having a domestic contact in the event of problems. For others, the low initial price of the China-sourced purchase would offset this advantage. So, YMMV...
Last edited by Mh434 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:32 pm

They do, indeed! These days, it's almost impossible to buy a domestic product without at least parts of it (or, all of it) coming from China. The edges of "desirability based on place of origin" are becoming blurred, indeed. Buying domestically is now, IMHO, primarily for advantages of warranty issues, etc., rather than build quality - if all of some particular item actually originate in China (but may be re-badged in North America, possibly tagged as "assembled in the USA" or "assembled in Canada"), build quality is essentially no longer part of the equation. At that point, price vs. likelihood of warranty issues becomes the important balancing point for purchase decisions.

Most or all of the products from the Electrical Connection are made in the U.S.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:37 pm

wmerryall wrote:They do, indeed! These days, it's almost impossible to buy a domestic product without at least parts of it (or, all of it) coming from China. The edges of "desirability based on place of origin" are becoming blurred, indeed. Buying domestically is now, IMHO, primarily for advantages of warranty issues, etc., rather than build quality - if all of some particular item actually originate in China (but may be re-badged in North America, possibly tagged as "assembled in the USA" or "assembled in Canada"), build quality is essentially no longer part of the equation. At that point, price vs. likelihood of warranty issues becomes the important balancing point for purchase decisions.

Most or all of the products from the Electrical Connection are made in the U.S.
Well, there you go! Although they appear identical, it appears they are not! The domestic construction of the EC ones may well make them the better purchase. It's entirely possible that the China-sourced bulbs are cheap clones of the EC ones...

I do note, however, that the EC ones have an output of 4,000 lumens per bulb vs. the *claimed* 8,000 lumens per bulb for the Chinese copies. The reliability of the Chinese units' output claims is unknown, and accepting these claims may be a leap of faith.

The EC units have no internal fans for cooling - personally, I like that, as I've heard reports of fan failures, resulting in almost instant failure of the units. Passive cooling, if its design is sufficiently robust, starts off reliable & remains that way forever.

As for my own personal choices, when I bought LED bulbs for my 'Wing, I chose to buy the much more expensive (but domestically-sourced) SoCal ones, rather than Chinese copies at half the price. And, when I had an issue (one of the four total emitters overheated & melted), SoCal not only immediately fixed my issue, but sent me an entire new set, at their cost!!! Try getting THAT kind of service from a China source...

I'm just sayin'....

ndfan77
Motorcycle: 2016 Gold Wing GL1800

Post by ndfan77 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:20 am

Mh434 wrote:Well, there you go! Although they appear identical, it appears they are not! The domestic construction of the EC ones may well make them the better purchase. It's entirely possible that the China-sourced bulbs are cheap clones of the EC ones...

I do note, however, that the EC ones have an output of 4,000 lumens per bulb vs. the *claimed* 8,000 lumens per bulb for the Chinese copies. The reliability of the Chinese units' output claims is unknown, and accepting these claims may be a leap of faith.

The EC units have no internal fans for cooling - personally, I like that, as I've heard reports of fan failures, resulting in almost instant failure of the units. Passive cooling, if its design is sufficiently robust, starts off reliable & remains that way forever.

As for my own personal choices, when I bought LED bulbs for my 'Wing, I chose to buy the much more expensive (but domestically-sourced) SoCal ones, rather than Chinese copies at half the price. And, when I had an issue (one of the four total emitters overheated & melted), SoCal not only immediately fixed my issue, but sent me an entire new set, at their cost!!! Try getting THAT kind of service from a China source...

I'm just sayin'....
Well, after focusing a little closer I have some doubts about the domestic manufacturing of the Electrical Connection LED headlight package.

The box in this EBay listing is identical (down to the detailed schematic-like drawing on the cover) as the box shown in this YouTube unboxing of the equivalent lights from Electrical Connection. The actual lights and drivers also appear to be virtually identical (other than possibly some EC stickers).

So I'm starting to feel a little "played" because 1) the lights may not be made domestically, and 2) the price is hyper-inflated. If EC is just relabeling the same lights, is spending $50 more (double) for the same product worth (presumably) better return/product support?

As for the lumen disparity -- I think it's just marketing. I believe each segment of the HB2-style LED bulbs is worth 4000 lumens. If a vehicle powers both segments in each bulb concurrently (for high beam) that would be a total of 8,000 lumens. (I don't know if HB2 bulbs normally have both filaments powered for high beam, or just the high beam filament.)

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:28 am

Normally, halogens just have one filament or the other lit, but not both - they can be lit simultaneously, briefly, but this causes a lot of extra heat & burns the bulbs out quickly.

In the Pathfinder LED bulbs, however, both high- and low-beam emitters are lit when on high beam (I.e., the low-beam emitters are on all the time). This actually results in considerably more light being cast on high beam, and the extra output doesn't cause the units any heat or other problems. It seems likely that other LED headlight bulbs work the same way, substantially increasing overall light output.

Considering that high-end halogens top out at around 1,500 lumens, the LEDS still put out a LOT more light...

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:13 pm

gl1500foster wrote:
Bill,
I think he meant he wanted to see the LED lamps that had been properly set up with the Hi and Lo LED chips offset. The product you reviewed was manufactured with the LED's directly opposite one another on the stalk.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm

What you are seeing in the photo posted in my article shows one side of one headlight and a profile of the other. What is difficult to see in the profile shot is one side of the bulb, the bottom when installed (I believe). The top side has two rows of emitters, one for low and the other for high. You can see it better if you go to this page on the Electrical Connection Website and click on the lower right image under the big picture.

https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... 1800-f6b/#

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Ahh.. got it. Thanks Bill.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wmerryall
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by wmerryall » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:47 pm

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.