Go Pro Hero

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Go Pro Hero

Postby minimac » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:36 am

Last Christmas my son got me a Go Pro Hero-an early model- that I finally got around to reading the directions. It came with two mounting pads and a camera 'stabilizer'(which I inadvertently tossed). I put the curved mount on the top of my right side mirror. I didn't have much confidence in the two sided tape but I followed the directions and let it sit in place for a day before mounting the camera. I slid the camera into place, aimed it, and took some video of my ride on the Back of the Dragon. All I can say is VERY IMPRESSIVE! The lens self-adjusted going from shade into sunlight and back quickly, and absolutely no shaking. The picture quality is excellent. Since I'm still figuring it out, I can't say how long the battery will last on a charge, but I had it running for two hours before I turned it off. If I can get the kid next door to show me, I'll post a quick clip later.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Go Pro Hero

Postby harvey01 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:40 am

I hope you enjoy your new toy! I just don't ride fast enough to make such a film that others would enjoy!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I have a GoPro Hero Black edition, and I love it. I've used it clamped on to the crash bars, and underwater while snorkeling in the Caribbean, and the results have been uniformly spectacular.

If you're using a Windows computer, try Windows Movie Maker (free from Windows) to edit & dress up your movies, and get them fancied up (titles, credits, fade-in/fade outs, add music, and other enhancements). You'll also want GoPro's free "GoPro Studio" movie software, too, which will convert your videos to a Youtube-friendly format, as well as allow you to change contrast, color, brightness, etc. as you like, crop for length, etc.

When traveling, take the camera-to-tv cable with you - you can play 'em back directly from the camera through the tv, and it looks fantastic!!

Here's one I shot in Tillamook, Oregon while having a flight in a Stearman PT-17 biplane. Be sure to turn on "HD" quality in Youtube (unfortunately, Youtube limits HD to 720p, rather than the 1080p I uploaded - it's way more glorious at 1080p!)

It's a bit long (although it's cropped to 9 minutes from its original 59 minutes!). The aerobatics start at around the 3:00 minute mark. The titles, credits, etc. were all added using Windows Movie Maker.

Here's another one I shot for a buddy, to show off the car he built - (be sure to watch it right to the end, including the credits, and have your sound turned up!! :D ). Again, all the credits etc. were done using Windows Movie Maker (okay, they're still a little amateurish yet, but I'm working on it!). This one CAN be viewed on Youtube at 1080p HD (maybe because it's shorter?)

Mr Magic Fingers
Motorcycle: 1991 1500A

Postby Mr Magic Fingers » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:36 pm

I have a second generation GoPro. Awesome little camera. I have used it quire a bit.

My problem is that I have not found a good place to mount it. I have it in the middle of the bike, on the chrome brow above the headlights. It tends to produce "jarring" and exacerbates the look/feel of the bumps on the road.

This is my first attempt at a "movie" with a sound track(s). I tried to sync them with events and moods on the screen. I wish that YouTube would not have compressed them so much. These little cameras produce such great quality.

Tim

1) Experience - something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT? WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER?

My PHOTO ALBUM http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Mr-Magic-Fingers_39232

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:I have a second generation GoPro. Awesome little camera. I have used it quire a bit.

My problem is that I have not found a good place to mount it. I have it in the middle of the bike, on the chrome brow above the headlights. It tends to produce "jarring" and exacerbates the look/feel of the bumps on the road.

This is my first attempt at a "movie" with a sound track(s). I tried to sync them with events and moods on the screen. I wish that YouTube would not have compressed them so much. These little cameras produce such great quality.

Tim

That is quite bumpy, I'm surprised.

I wonder if it is due to the mass of the camera?

I have the little bullet camera of my BulletHD Biker Pro mounted right under the fairing:

It does catch a bit of my fender, but the picture is smooth:

Mr Magic Fingers
Motorcycle: 1991 1500A

Postby Mr Magic Fingers » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:51 am

WingAdmin wrote: That is quite bumpy, I'm surprised.

I wonder if it is due to the mass of the camera?

I have the little bullet camera of my BulletHD Biker Pro mounted right under the fairing:

I have no doubt that is part of it. However I think that the bulk of the issue is where it is mounted. This is not a "Bolted down" piece of steel and it moves all around, vibrates and picks up and amplifies the road "surface". I really do have to find a better place for it. I leave it on the bike and rarely removed it even when traveling, same as the GPS and Media player so it can't be in the way.

I did have it mounted to my helmet. Kinda neat... it gave me insight to where I was looking while I was riding. Unfortunately it gave my wife a insight too... other hot biker chicks and besides that... with my general body shape, it made me look like a real life black teletubby. :(

This is where the camera is mounted...

Tim
Attachments
1) Experience - something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT? WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER?

My PHOTO ALBUM http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Mr-Magic-Fingers_39232

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:21 pm

I think the videos stability is a factor of the bikes suspension. I mounted my gopro on the right handlebar of my 1995 with normal suspension, and my 1998 with, what I believe is a Progressive front fork. I used a gooseneck mount on a clamp for both bikes. In the attached video, the first one is on the 1995, the second (following a lady in blue coat) was on the 1998. I got the same results on the 1998 no matter what road I was on, so I ended up mounting the camera to the top of my helmet. That helped, but not much.
[youtube]

[/YouTube]

WingAdmin....when you look at how much movement your front fender is doing, and at how smooth the video is, I am impressed with your suspension. Is it stock?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:41 pm

cardinal wrote:I think the videos stability is a factor of the bikes suspension. I mounted my gopro on the right handlebar of my 1995 with normal suspension, and my 1998 with, what I believe is a Progressive front fork. I used a gooseneck mount on a clamp for both bikes. In the attached video, the first one is on the 1995, the second (following a lady in blue coat) was on the 1998. I got the same results on the 1998 no matter what road I was on, so I ended up mounting the camera to the top of my helmet. That helped, but not much.

WingAdmin....when you look at how much movement your front fender is doing, and at how smooth the video is, I am impressed with your suspension. Is it stock?

Almost. It has Progressive springs in it, but apart from that, it is all factory. That said, it is very fresh, with recently replaced sliders, bushings, seals, and fluid. The fluid is actually a bit more viscous that I would like, it's 15 weight fork oil, I think for the next change I'll move down to 10 weight to soften some of the hard bumps.

cal3san
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with MT Trike Kit (sold 9/13)
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
w/1999 Lehman Trike Kit (sold 12/12)
1996 GL-1500A with 2009 Champion Trike Kit (sold 7/15)
2003 GL-1800 with 2113 Champion Trike Kit
2007 Aspen Sentry Camper (sold 5/12)
2012 Mini-Mate Kompac Kamper
2014 TO Slipstream Camper

Postby cal3san » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I have the First Generation Hero and have a blast with it. I took one of the curved "stick on" mounts and placed it about 2 inches above the bottom of the center of my windshield. Made a goose-neck type camera mount from one of the kits and it has never resulted in vibrating moves. To ensure I have never exhaust my battery's life, I run a long UBS cable from the Hero to a power tap on my dash.

YNCM-USN Retired (1964-1990)
RVN Veteran (MCB-53 1968)
PGR

Return to “Product Reviews”