Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
coolrunning
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500A Goldwing Aspencade
50th Anniversary
1970 Honda 350SL (first love)

Looking for warm winter gloves

Post by coolrunning » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Living in the Southwest, it is hard to find a good selection of cold weather gear locally. I was hoping our friends from the Great White North might have some good suggestions. I don't think I want to go with heated grips or gloves. I like the gauntlet style, with padded palms, deerskin, black, insulated, water resistant, but the ones I have don't keep my fingers warm. I was riding in temperatures no lower than 40F. Any suggestions? Also, do you use chaps in these conditions?
Coolrunning

Coolrunning

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Looking for warm winter gloves

Post by themainviking » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 pm

For cooler weather riding, I have these gloves - actually for snowmobile use. http://shopecotrex.ca/?attachment_id=1313 not very expensive these ones. Mine cost about twice that and have a higher gauntlet on them.

Chaps, wind pants, long underwear, leather pants and even snowmobile pants depending on the temperature. All of this stuff is easy to obtain here, but might be tough in the Southwest U.S. I have a one piece insulated suit with leather lower legs that I bought in New Mexico when I lived there. I rode 365 there except for a four day snowstorm that took a week to melt off. That was the only storm that stopped me in three years there. The clothing is available, but could take some searching to find it. I just lucked out on the insulated suit. I think it was a work suit something like Carhart.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

coolrunning
50th Anniversary

Post by coolrunning » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. The gloves you recommended are exactly what I was looking for! I didn't think to see what was available to snowmobile riders. Great idea!

Most of the time, if it is cold enough to require real winter gear around El Paso, Texas you don't see many folks out riding. They are typically "fair weather riders", and since it rarely rains in this area, the only thing that will keep us from riding is what I would call extreme conditions. Of course, that is defined differently by region! Extreme cold = temperatures below freezing, extreme heat = temperatures above 100F and extreme winds = gusts above 45 mph. Rain is just no fun at all... I can cope with just about any weather conditions until it becomes so uncomfortable it is not fun anymore. I have been in some strong cross winds that I can only describe as dangerous. Sometimes, I think my big fairing and windshield actually work against me when the wind is blasting from either the left or right. It makes for a white knuckle flight! I love riding, but not in those conditions.
Coolrunning

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:45 am

if you don't have hand wings you should get some, they keep a lot of cold air off your hands when they are closed and you can get away with wearing a pair of gloves you wouldn't wear without the hand wings
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 am

Bought a pair of these gloves from Eddie Bauer before Xmas and have used them in below zero riding (roads were clear and dry). Kept my hands warm. Got these on sale 1/2 price - good value. Can get on line.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/powde ... &color=100

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm

I have 2 pairs of 5 finger Thinsulate gloves. A 40 gram and 100 gram for different temps. The 100 gram are pretty darn warm but they are THICK!
In them below zero rides, I'll wear a pair of glove covers over the any mix of gloves I have, which is several.
(similar to these)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-MILITARY ... Swa39UsJTG
These glove covers almost take place of Hippo Hands. Best part is you can mix & match your current stock of gloves to tailor fit for 'X' weather conditions.

They say the seems are sealed... well in time they open so plan on sealing them when needed.
Every stitch will loosen and that begets air flow, it may not be much but every little hole adds up.

I've gotten rather partial to the 3 finger gloves, also known as 'trigger finger'. I can easily move the index over to the other 3 and they all keep each other warm. Also there's plenty of room for 2 or 3 'chemical heat bags' for added warmth.

:)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

mterrac
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterrac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:01 am

Fieldsheer makes an Eskimo Glove. They have gauntlets so they come up over your sleeves and keep the wind out. Wind / water resistant and they have 100 weight Thinsulate in them as opposed to the usual 20 weight. They're thicker than normal riding gloves, but I have no trouble using the controls with them. I purchased them because my previous motorcycle did not have heated grips. They make all the difference on cold mornings.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:24 pm

+1 for the hand wings - the keep bugs off your knuckles in the summer and can turn in or out to redirect airflow toward you or away reducing the wind on your hands. I can ride with summer gloves to about 40F with them. Better yet add a set of inexpensive heated grips ($40 on sale) and you'll be very comfortable. You might look for a set of lined leather mittens at your local ranch/feed supply also, I use mine on the Wing and my ATV, they allow your fingers to keep each other warm! BTW I do have heated Gerbing gear but occasionally we all get caught without it so I have to deal.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

coolrunning
50th Anniversary

Post by coolrunning » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:06 am

detdrbuzzard wrote:if you don't have hand wings you should get some, they keep a lot of cold air off your hands when they are closed and you can get away with wearing a pair of gloves you wouldn't wear without the hand wings
Great idea! I installed the large wings this summer to bring in air behind my fairing to cool it off. The fairing on the GL1500 is so effective at shielding that it gets really hot sometimes even with all my vents open. I didn't think about the hand wings at all. Are they adjustable like the lower wings or are they fixed?
Coolrunning

coolrunning
50th Anniversary

Post by coolrunning » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 am

[
can turn in or out to redirect airflow toward you or away reducing the wind on your hands
Thanks for answering that question. I have only seen photos of them, and did not know they were adjustable. I will be shopping for some.
Coolrunning

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:07 am

coolrunning wrote:
detdrbuzzard wrote:if you don't have hand wings you should get some, they keep a lot of cold air off your hands when they are closed and you can get away with wearing a pair of gloves you wouldn't wear without the hand wings
Great idea! I installed the large wings this summer to bring in air behind my fairing to cool it off. The fairing on the GL1500 is so effective at shielding that it gets really hot sometimes even with all my vents open. I didn't think about the hand wings at all. Are they adjustable like the lower wings or are they fixed?
They are adjustable, and the are the best ventilation heating/cooling accessory I have on my GL1500. In summer, they can be adjusted to bring in a ton of cooling air (far more than the other wings on my bike) and in winter, they can be adjusted to block the wind and keep the cold air away from you.

Have a look here: Baker Hand Wings Review

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:42 pm

I actually designed my own wings for under the mirrors and to the front of the crash bars (rain deflection and heat flow to me in the winter) on my 1800 and that made them super inexpensive and the color Lexan I wanted. Commercial under mirror wings all pivot about an extended bottom mirror mount bolt and bushing just a fraction of an inch below the mirror.

Off topic a bit but I also designed and molded Lexan yellow/amber lower light protective covers that make the light less reflective in fog/snow. I desired that after a rock cracked one of the lenses. A plastic supply house can provide you a plethora of advice, and varying colors and thickness of material if you have the shop tools to work with. I used Nylon hardware so in a crash the Lexan is not a fixed dangerous edge.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

wd4aon
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500se

Post by wd4aon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:55 pm

While it usually doesn't get too terribly cold here in South Florida, I've been wearing welding gloves from Harbor Freight down to about 30 degrees F. They are lined, have long gauntlets (sleeves?), and they only cost $5 -- maybe cheaper on sale or with a 20-25% off coupon.
Terry

Bobsstar
Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Goldwing

Post by Bobsstar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 am

Check out the Raber Glove company out of Winnipeg Canada. Excellent gauntlet style gloves in cow, deer or horse hide with knitted wool lining. I have the horse hide ones, soft and warm. Made in North America.
http://www.raberglove.com/