Quick-Glo chrome cleaner and rust remover.

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Stantheman55
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Gl 1500SE
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Quick-Glo chrome cleaner and rust remover.

Post by Stantheman55 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Stan the man here. This is my first post and wanted to share this product I discovered and tried on my Gold wing chrome with great success. Its Called Quick-Glo metal cleaner and rust remover.

For those of you who have never heard of it, it was invented in a Chicago bathtub in 1957. Later it was bought out by a father daughter team and is now made in Gonzales Louisiana (Phone 225-937-0276)
The product comes in regular and fine grit. It’s a water based, nontoxic cleaner that contains pumas and will clean an assortment of substrates.

The following is a synopsis of the product.
Quick-Glo in the Original formula was invented in 1957 and sold primarily in Bicycle Shops as a safe environmentally conscious way to remove rust and oxidation. Quick-Glo uniquely cleans, polishes and leaves a wax coating to protect your surface from future harm for up to ONE YEAR. I purchased the Company in 2002 and currently my daughter and I make Quick-Glo at our home in Gonzales Louisiana. Recently I invented a new formulation Ultra Fine. Made under the same quality standards as Original, Ultra Fine is better suited for light oxidation and for polishing softer metals such as Aluminum and Copper. Also is fantastic for removing Water Spots and Acid Rain damage from your Automotive windows and Mirrors in seconds. Best of all they will not return for up to 6 months.

I discovered Quick Glo while researching what to do about the rusting on my chrome luggage rack on my new to me 2000 GL 1500SE.

An interview done by Jay Leno in his Garage with Product owner Brent Deloach.

Here are before and after pictures of the Luggage rack on my wing it took me less then ten minutes to go from one to the other. This is great stuff, you can order an 8 oz container for $15.00 bucks from Amazon, Walmart and other retailers. I hope you found this interesting and useful.
Drive safe and see you all on the road

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: Quick-Glo chrome cleaner and rust remover.

Post by cyberlon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 pm

But if I remove the rust, what's holding the bike together? :D

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 am

Thats a very good Question? :o Dunnnooooo? :roll: :roll: Maybe you should just smear some of this stuff on the bike and let the wax hold it all together, Ya know........ Just a thought ....Maybe sorta! :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope your riding days are long and fun. :D .....Stan

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 am

I just ordered some of the regular stuff. It should be here Sunday. Will update when I see how it works.

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 am

When you get yours try dipping the end ofyour finger into the stuff, it sticks well. Then dab the spot you want to apply it to with your finger. Take a tooth brush to slowly work it into tight spots, a few strokes and rust starts to disappear. On open areas I just used my fiunger to rub it in and used an old was cloth to clean and polish. I really like the stuff. Let me know what you think after you try it..

I put the luggage rack on the trunk yesterday and mine looks brand new.
Now i'm off to add the shifter support I just got in the mail. It appears to be a straight forward installation, the most difficult part for me is getting up and down off the floor. :( When my new shop gets built im getting a lift table.

I like it.... I want it.... I gotta have one.... and that's that..... Plus I have my wife's permission to buy one and say so. ;) :) :D....Stan

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I am anxious to hear Corksters evaluation and how long it lasts especially after the parts have been outside in the elements!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey Stan, I just used some of your product, that I just received minutes ago, on a small part by the valve stem on the front rim of my 99 Aspencade. (see attached photo). I just rubbed it in a little and did 2 coats. It definitely did shine it up and it will probably be even better if I work it in more. On easy thing to notice is the surface feels like a sheet of glass after it is applied and buffed off!.

The one thing that was a little different is the material that is for what I assume to be a lid seal was completely saturated and even the tag on top of it that said the material is water soluble and to add water if needed was pretty much destroyed. I'll have to see if the air gets to it now that the seal has been somewhat compromised.
Attachments

Quick-Glo on rim by valve stem
Quick-Glo on rim by valve stem

Quick-Glo lid seal
Quick-Glo lid seal

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Maybe the fine stuff behaves differently, but don't use the regular stuff on chrome, either on plastic or on metal! Yes, it cleans it up real nice, but when you look closely you will see hundreds, if not thousands, of tiny scratches.

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Corkster
Thanks for replying, Im sorry your not happy with the product. When I cleaned the rack on my wing i was very pleased in the way it turned out, I never took a real close look at the surface, I was just so happy that i didn't have to buy a new rack. As you say perhaps the fine version would work better with less noticeable scratching. My container arrived in a plastic bag well sealed. I will get some of the fine and give it a try, I will use the regular stuff for cleaning and maintaining the metal surfaces on my wood working equipment.

I hope some one who is considering this product tries the fine and will report their findings as well. i will report back after i try it.
also keep in mind it does say not to use on plastic. ......Stan.

Combatmedic4life
Motorcycle: 83 gl100 interstate

Post by Combatmedic4life » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am

I drove truck for 25 years. I you get the green polish and peel it down and get some mineral spirits, put it in a bottle shack it up it works really well. We use it on the aluminum on the trucks. Rust and all will come off. Hope that helps.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 pm

I have a can of the Fine Quick-Glo cleaner. I love it. I have polished my wheels which were not rusty but were pretty dull looking. It cleaned them and polished them up very well. I used it on the chrome rotor & caliper covers and as he noted above, they are really slick feeling while wiping with a rag. There are no fine scratches that I can tell on anything I have used it on. I recommend it.

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi guys
Hope you all had a great Memorial weekend. To our brothers and sisters in/out of the Military a big "Thank You" :D
First to combat medic:
I am always interested in learning about old remedies and solutions to old problems. I am interested in knowing about the green stuff your talking about. Could you be more specific about what you are using and what the proportions of the mix are along with how to use it and for what.
Some times the old methods are the best.
Bellboy40:
Thanks for the review, I have not tried the fine formula only the original (course) on my trunk rack. It being such a small surface area you can't really see any scratches, plus what I have now is a huge improvement over what I had by looking at the before and after pix. ;)

Stay well fellas and see ya on the road......Stan :D