Show Chrome's Universal Electronic Fuse Block

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Goldwinger55
Motorcycle: 2004 Dark Cherry GL1800

Show Chrome's Universal Electronic Fuse Block

Post by Goldwinger55 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm

I had order Electrical Connections Fuse Block for my Wing only to be told it's back ordered and I wouldn't receive it until October with shipping. I'm looking for other alternatives and came across Show Chromes Electronic Fuse Block. The glossy says it isolates every circuit with it's own relay plus I saw another larger relay. The instructions are written as you have an advanced level of wiring knowledge. I wonder if anyone has used the fuse block and what have been your experiences? I plan to install 3 or 4 LED strips on each side, about a 4' run on each side of my trailer, and 2 additional LED lights mounted on the trailer.

The link for the product is: http://wingstuff.com/products/37527-uni ... fuse-block

Thanks all in advance.

Remember every breath is a gift and every minute a treasure... make them count..
Leave a legacy others want to follow..

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Re: Has anyone used Show Chrome's Universal Electronic Fuse Block?

Post by Dusty Boots » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:09 pm

It's a fairly new product so maybe not that popular yet (?)
I have my eye on that as well for my new ride (2013 Victory Cross Country Tour) as it has a CAN bus system and I think this will fit the bill to add extra LED turn signals and running lights etc without having issues with the CAN bus system.

Goldwinger55

Post by Goldwinger55 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Thank you Dusty for your input. Nice ride BTW! I think I'll go ahead and order and try it on mine. Let you know the outcome.
Remember every breath is a gift and every minute a treasure... make them count..

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

Goldwinger55 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm
I had order Electrical Connections Fuse Block for my Wing only to be told it's back ordered and I wouldn't receive it until October with shipping. I'm looking for other alternatives and came across Show Chromes Electronic Fuse Block. The glossy says it isolates every circuit with it's own relay plus I saw another larger relay. The instructions are written as you have an advanced level of wiring knowledge. I wonder if anyone has used the fuse block and what have been your experiences? I plan to install 3 or 4 LED strips on each side, about a 4' run on each side of my trailer, and 2 additional LED lights mounted on the trailer.

The link for the product is: http://wingstuff.com/products/37527-uni ... fuse-block

Thanks all in advance.
It does sound like you need an electrical engineering degree to install it. Most likely it uses input from the various OEM circuits to activate relays that will feed your auxiliary lighting and such.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:40 am

Kind of sounds like a lot of unnecessary fluff.

There is a vast array of fuse blocks to choose from. Here are a few to look at at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1MTF0/?tag=goldwingdocs-20 ... ingdocs-20
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Goldwinger55

Post by Goldwinger55 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am
Goldwinger55 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks all in advance.
It does sound like you need an electrical engineering degree to install it. Most likely it uses input from the various OEM circuits to activate relays that will feed your auxiliary lighting and such.
Since this is my first Wing, I do not know where the connectors or lines are to tap into. A techdude told me which colors but I'm not sure where.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am

Goldwinger55 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Since this is my first Wing, I do not know where the connectors or lines are to tap into. A techdude told me which colors but I'm not sure where.
Best item you could buy for your Wing would be a shop manual that has a wiring diagram. The Clymer and Haynes publications do not go far enough and I have noticed they can be lacking in details. The factory publications will have more information that the die hard DIYers crave for but they are very useful for even the novice.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Goldwinger55

Post by Goldwinger55 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:02 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am
Goldwinger55 wrote:

Best item you could buy for your Wing would be a shop manual that has a wiring diagram. The Clymer and Haynes publications do not go far enough and I have noticed they can be lacking in details. The factory publications will have more information that the die hard DIYers crave for but they are very useful for even the novice.
I have a service manual but not the ETM or one with detail photos as you mentioned. I did find connector C15 to tie in for the brakes/running/turn/ lights for my Electronic Fuse Block. Now I'm just adding the LED strips for the bike.

Goldwinger55

Post by Goldwinger55 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 am

Goldwinger55 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:02 pm
Fiberthree wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am
Goldwinger55 wrote:

I have a service manual but not the ETM or one with detail photos as you mentioned. I did find connector C15 to tie in for the brakes/running/turn/ lights for my Electronic Fuse Block. Now I'm just adding the LED strips for the bike.
I completed the installation of the EFB and after approx 1k trip, all is well. And my thoughts are: As someone said, the wires are hard to attach to the device and at most it will accept is 18 gauge wire. The battery cable at 18 ga. is somewhat small for what I care for. Like to see thicker. The unit is professionally installed with great care taken how I ran and secured every wire. This took time but well worth the effort IMO.

As for the function and protection, I do like how each circuit is fused and individually protected by a relay and the only wires connecting to the system is the battery for always hot 12v and for keyed power going to the accessory connection in the fuse box on the bike. I do like how all my external lights and accessories are connected to the EFB and not the electrical box. I also placed the trailer isolator on the always hot but considering keyed-power circuit. My passenger rear communicator with independent volume/cb mike/power switch is on the keyed power. It was directly connected by the PO to the battery but I did not want to take the chance to forget the pwr switch & drain the battery.

Overall, I'm happy with the unit but prefer the one by Electronic Connection.