Windbender windshield

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Windbender windshield

Post by brian.peters » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Lots of conversation on here about windshields. I had one I started titled "shorty windshield" Lots of good advise there and else where on the forum and I settled on the Windbender. I decided to start a new thread with my opinion.

First off the ws is very stout. It's two short pieces that slide together on rails and is 4.6 mm thick. Once the lower is installed on the stock sliders it is fixed, the factory adjuster is no longer usable. The upper shield slides on rails with some very nice spring knobs that latch it into place in 4 or 5 different heights. There is also another inch of adjustment in the rail attachments but that requires tools.

The factory shield, all the way down, was 21" and when I sat on the bike the top would bisect my line of sight. A little slouch and I could look under but not easy to look over.

I have the Windbender adjusted all the way down in the factory mounts and all the way down in the upper ws rail mounts, all the way up it is at 21". That's ok but the top of the WS is curved and thus distorts your view. Not sure how much I'm going to ride with it up though. Went for a ride with the ws all the way up, I could do 65 with my chin bar up. Not really any buffeting. With it all the way down 65 with my face shield up was ok, I could raise the chinbar but got a lot of buffeting. I think all the way or most of the way down is going to be the go to setting and I can easily see over the WS even in tight turns.

It does move a lot of air up and over but not around. Lots of air leaking in around the shield and that would be worse if you tried to put it all the way up in the factory sliders. Buffeting is not going to be the issue I think it is going to be cold air from the side.

Here are some pictures

The old WS

Lower installed

Upper

Sliders

This is all the way down

and all the way up

Final install

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Re: Windbender windshield

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Interesting, I did not realize that was also a two piece windscreen assembly.

I bought the Madstad and took some pictures of it laying on the floor.
Wx is too cool for me to work on bike, but one day, it will go on the bike.

Attachments

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 pm

I have a "2-piece" windshield also "Flip-It".....dig the thing. When I want a shorty, I just unscrew the top end and afix upside down inside the smoke section. Having both options (for me) really helps.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Doesn't your clear shield tilt forward? Something doesn't look like the one on my son's 1800 bike. I had to go down in the rain to look at it, LOL. His tilts forward About 3 inches from the lower shield. and at 80 MPH there is no buffeting and the wind blows around the sides and well over your head. And that was all the way down. I don't see where they make the Madstad for the 1500 either. But it is less expensive too.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:54 pm

seelyark1 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:55 pm
Doesn't your clear shield tilt forward? Something doesn't look like the one on my son's 1800 bike. I had to go down in the rain to look at it, LOL. His tilts forward About 3 inches from the lower shield. and at 80 MPH there is no buffeting and the wind blows around the sides and well over your head. And that was all the way down. I don't see where they make the Madstad for the 1500 either. But it is less expensive too.
Nope no adjustment for rake and yeah no madstat both are 1800 only.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am

My son wanted a Windbender and when he discovered that they were in Washington state, as were we. He contacted the guy that makes them and we stopped by his shop and picked one up. Had quite a chat with him about how he came up with the idea. I borrowed my son's bike and rode from Arizona to Colorado and back, as Colorado was the only state I had not been in. This windshield worked great! 80-85 mph and no buffeting. But my sons has as part of it, a way to cant the shield forward some. May want to check back with Dayle Martin (the guy that makes them) and see about those brackets. He makes them for the 1500 too. I'm just too cheap to get one now, but when I need a new shield, I'll be looking that way.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 pm

After a few days I'm not so sure about it. Lots more wind noise and good amount of air comes around the sides and sucked in from the back. That is great on a nice day but maybe a bit cold at 41 degrees.

Wife likes it so far but we've only done a 45 minute ride at 60. Not sure how she will feel after 2 hours at 80.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Talked with my son about the cant on his windshield and he said that it is an option. I sure liked how it worked on his bike.

wsunate
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by wsunate » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:57 am

I too am from Washington state and visited Dayle to have buy and install the Windbender. I bought the electric raise/lower option. Mine also cants and is nearly vertical. I really like being able to see over the top of the windshield. Buffeting is all but gone. So is most of the cooling air on hot days. The only negative is during hard rain at night, the curve at the top distorts the view. I keep cleaner and Raincoat with me to keep the water flying off as much as possible.
I like the windbender and the electric adjustment. Sure, it's pricey but it works great. I highly recommend.