Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

New headset in new helmet

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Well I finally got around to finishing the headset install in my new Arai helmet. My old Shoei helmet had the relatively inexpensive J&M JMHS-8154B headset in it, which I put in a number of years ago. It sounded good, as far as I knew.

However, this time around, the old style headset microphone wouldn't fit in my new Arai helmet because of the Arai's chin vent. So instead I went with the top-of-the-line J&M 629 headset. Gary from Cyclemax hooked me up with a great price as always, and the headset sat here in my office for the past few weeks. Today my wife wanted me to take her out on the bike (her first ride of the year), and I knew I couldn't put it off any longer, so I spent about an hour installing this headset. The microphone in this thing is MUCH smaller than the older unit, and I was able to fit it in with no trouble.

Note: This headset has since been superseded by the 787 Elite model, which works even better, is more resilient, and sounds even better.

J&M 787 Elite Headset for Full-Face Helmets

J&M 787 Elite Headset for Open, Flip or Full-Face Helmets

Well once we got on the bike I noticed a difference instantly. The microphone is FAR FAR better - much better pickup, much more rejection of wind and other noise. HUGE difference! And the speakers are a TREMENDOUS improvement. Whereas the old headset speakers lacked bass really, these new ones have incredible sound.

Had I known that the difference was going to be this huge, I would have done it a long time ago.

Here's the microphone, actually the microphone is much smaller - just a bit bigger than my fingernail. The rubber cover and foam windscreen shown in the picture are bigger, I guess to cut down on noise:

Microphone in chin bar
Microphone in chin bar

The speakers can't actually be seen. I removed the cheek pads, cut out a tiny bit of the foam (not the shock-absorbing styrofoam, just the soft foam that fits to your face), put a velcro fastener in to hold it in place, and put the cover back over the top. The cheek pad looks completely stock and unaltered, but there is actually a speaker in there (where my finger is pointing):

Speaker hidden behind cheek pad
Speaker hidden behind cheek pad

The input jack is the most disappointing part of this headset. Unlike the old helmet, where the jack was facing the front, and you put the plug of the wire in facing toward the back, this "new improved" jack plugs in the side, and juts down at a 45 degree angle, so that the helmet can no longer sit flat on a table. Instead the helmet sits resting on the strain relief of the wire. I'm not going to call it a design flaw...but...ok, it's a design flaw:

Input jack
Input jack

ramdam1
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Re: New headset in new helmet

Postby ramdam1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Looks great. Sure wish you were my neighbor. LOL!!! Would be knocking on the door all the time. But I would have to guess that happens now anyway.

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Nice install. I have seen others that have the same design "burp".
My wife just picked up a new Scorpion flip front and we took it to Sierra Electronics to have the new J&M headset installed. It needs to have the helmet drilled for a clamp-less set. I did no want to do that and void a helmet warranty if I screwed it up. This is the first time I had some one else do an install. But now that I have seen their install work, I may have them do my next helmet also, or buy one of their pre-installed units on a Nolan.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:52 am

I didn't have to drill the helmet shell, but if you look at the clamp, the rubber part that goes around the bottom of the helmet, the shell actually goes down just over halfway into that rubber part. So I did drill two small holes through the rubber part only, to get the screws through, but not through the structural shell part of the helmet. So while that clamp looks like it's just barely on the shell at all, in fact it's almost entirely on the shell.

I was out riding again yesterday (ended up at Cyclemax, that always ends up making it an expensive ride, as I can't leave without buying something!), and I'm just amazed at the sound quality of the speakers in this headset. I'm so glad I bought this one.

Return to “Product Reviews”