Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Moto Solutions RainCoat windshield coating

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:35 pm

See below for a video review of this product, with an actual demonstration.

RainCoat, from Moto Solutions, is a water dispersal product made specifically for plexiglas (plastic) windshields. It will not work on glass. It is an invisible, wax-like coating that causes water to bead up and run off quickly. On large bikes like Goldwings, where sometimes you are looking through the windscreen, rain can cause a dangerous drop in visibility. This product causes the rain to run off the windshield almost instantly, allowing you to see clearly. For bikes with smaller (or no) windshield, the product can be applied directly to helmet visors. It's also marketed for use on aircraft windshields.

They also have a FogTech product for application to the inside of a helmet visor, to make it "fog free." Being that it's the middle of summer, and visor fogging doesn't tend to happen when it's 90 degrees out, I'll have to test out this product later.

I received the product in a box containing five small packets, a round yellow applicator, and a soft white cotton cloth. I found it somewhat humorous that the appearance of the small packets somewhat resembles another "raincoat" type product. :)

Applying the product is simple: After making sure your windshield is clean, dampen the yellow applicator, then tear open the packet and squeeze out a small amount of the product onto the applicator. I found that each packet contains enough for four separate applications on my giant Slipstreamer windshield.

Rub the applicator to distribute the product over the surface of the windshield. It dries to a milky white appearance.

Next, using the soft cloth, polish the windshield until the product becomes invisible. At this point, the product is fully applied. I found it took me about five minutes to do my windshield.

Once you've finished the application, you should not be able to see that it has been applied. I found that it took a bit of practice to get the right amount to initially apply - too much, and it's hard to buff out, much like applying car wax. I suspect I could use a larger soft cotton towel to do this step faster.

I also did my helmet visor. This takes only a minute or two, as the surface is very small.

After buffing it out, I put on my helmet and could not tell that anything had been applied.

So how does it work? Amazingly well, actually. I applied it to my helmet and windshield before a long, three-day trip. I encountered rain twice on the trip, and both times the rain slid right off of my windshield and my helmet visor - it literally was zero factor in terms of visibility. The drops that did hit the windshield quickly congealed into larger drops before being pushed off by the wind. The smaller "splatter" drops that usually obscure your vision simply didn't exist.

Another benefit that I really liked is that with RainCoat applied to the windshield, it is extremely easy to clean bugs and road grime. Take a towel (or a gas station wipe), wet it, and place it on the windshield. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then wipe the bugs and dirt off - it's that easy!

If I have one complaint with the product is that it needs relatively frequent reapplication. After the three days (and two rainstorms) it was no longer really doing its job - albeit that was also after I had cleaned the windshield with Pledge (my old standby). I will definitely keep using it - but will likely keep it on hand for when I expect (or suspect) that I'll be riding in rain.

Update:

I received this updated version of the product from the manufacturer:

Instead of the small packet of paste used with a wet cloth, you just shake the container, spray it on the windshield or helmet, wipe it in, wait to dry, then buff it out. It works just as well as the original, and is MUCH faster and easier to apply.

themenz
Motorcycle: 2002 BMW R1150RA

Re: Moto Solutions RainCoat windshield coating

Postby themenz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for the great review. Full disclosure, I make Raincoat Water Repellent Coating for Plastics and Fogtech Instant Anti-Fog. If anyone has any questions, fire away.

macka
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Postby macka » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:50 pm

can I use fog tech in my snowmobile helmet? I ride in cold weather obviously, but with the windchill I can see -40 easily. I use the rain x product atm, but it fogs somewhat.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 pm

macka wrote:can I use fog tech in my snowmobile helmet? I ride in cold weather obviously, but with the windchill I can see -40 easily. I use the rain x product atm, but it fogs somewhat.

That's the kind of application I think it would be perfect for.

themenz

Postby themenz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:48 pm

macka wrote:can I use fog tech in my snowmobile helmet? I ride in cold weather obviously, but with the windchill I can see -40 easily. I use the rain x product atm, but it fogs somewhat.

Hey macka. You can use Fogtech anti-fog, but at those temps, you might get frozen water. That is just as bad as fogging. Generally, you can go down to about zero degrees F with Fogtech. Below that, you might get freezing.

I am surprised that RainX works at defogging. It is meant to repel water drops from glass and really does not work on plastic.

I can send you a Fogtech wipe to try next season. Just send your address to gene (at) motosolutions (dot) com

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 am

Update:

Instead of the small packet of paste used with a wet cloth, you just shake the container, spray it on the windshield or helmet, wipe it in, wait to dry, then buff it out. It works just as well as the original, and is MUCH faster and easier to apply.

I've been using this stuff on my windshield all summer, and I have to say, I love it! I've been caught in some fairly nasty rainstorms, and with the big Slipstreamer Wraparound windshield that I have, it makes a huge difference.

themenz

Postby themenz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:05 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Update:

I've been using this stuff on my windshield all summer, and I have to say, I love it! I've been caught in some fairly nasty rainstorms, and with the big Slipstreamer Wraparound windshield that I have, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the feedback. I am really happy the new spray is working for you.

The way you applied was a bit different, in that you sprayed on and wiped it around before letting dry. Usually I recommend spraying and letting dry then buffing. I will try your method and maybe change the instructions at some point.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:48 pm

themenz wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I am really happy the new spray is working for you.

The way you applied was a bit different, in that you sprayed on and wiped it around before letting dry. Usually I recommend spraying and letting dry then buffing. I will try your method and maybe change the instructions at some point.

I did wipe it around a bit (using a separate cloth) because I didn't want overspray on the bike near the edges of the windshield. I sprayed it near to the edges, then used a clean cloth to distribute it evenly, spraying a bit more if needed. I then went away for 5-10 minutes and let it dry before coming back and buffing it clear. It works great!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Ordered some today. Rain Coat and Fog tech. Here in Washington state, we get lots of rain and when it isn't raining, it is humid and cool. Excellent testing grounds for both products. I have had times when my Tulsa windshield fogged so bad that even after cleaning and wiping it with 210 Plastic Polish with water repellent, I still had to ride on the foot pegs for a couple of blocks before the shield would clear. I hate not being able to see and have been looking for a decent anti-fog application for years.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 am

Update for the Rain Coat paste:

I received my order and it goes on as described and does the job as described. However, it is so difficult to remove, I am concerned that I will scratch the windshield. I have applied it three times and each time it is a real bear to remove. I will not be using the paste again. I have too much money invested in the windshield just to intentionally damage it trying to get water to bead up and run off. I will stick to my 210 plastic polish.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

themenz

Postby themenz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:16 am

MikeB wrote:Update for the Rain Coat paste:

I received my order and it goes on as described and does the job as described. However, it is so difficult to remove, I am concerned that I will scratch the windshield. I have applied it three times and each time it is a real bear to remove. I will not be using the paste again. I have too much money invested in the windshield just to intentionally damage it trying to get water to bead up and run off. I will stick to my 210 plastic polish.

Sorry it is difficult to apply the Raincoat paste. As the manufacturer I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Use a very small amount at a time. Apply a very thin coating..almost a translucent film.
2. Make sure your applicator is fairly damp before you squeeze on the wax.
3. Don't apply in the sun.
4. Buff when it dries. Don't go away and wait for 10 minutes or an hour or overnight.

Your shield will not be hurt by buffing too much.

If you have product left that you don't want to use, I will refund your money. Just email me gene (at) motosolutions (dot) com.

I developed the spray because it is much easier to apply and buff off.
\

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 am

I applied it in the garage out of direct sunlight. I followed the directions, putting on a pea sized drop in several locations on the Tulsa windshield. I used the included applicator, moistened. I let it dry approximately five minutes so that there was translucent film on the windshield. I used a 100% cotton cloth to buff it clear. What a chore to get it all off. At first, I thought I had let it set for too long so the two subsequent applications were slowed to dry for there minutes and then two minutes. Same routine.

I am not concerned about scratching the windshield by buffing, I am concerned about having an unseen piece of grit getting between the cloth and windshield during all that dry buffing. One piece of grit can put some serious scratches in the plastic.

I will return the unused product.

Thanks.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I had the same experience the first time I used it, and realized I was just using too much. Once I reduced the amount I used on the windscreen, it buffed out very easily. I use it on a fairly regular basis now, I quite like the product.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:58 am

Admin: Have you had any problems with the inside of the screen fogging? That is my concern with my Tulsa. My wind deflectors clear the fog fast but I'm wondering if this product will prevent fog.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 am

dingdong wrote:Admin: Have you had any problems with the inside of the screen fogging? That is my concern with my Tulsa. My wind deflectors clear the fog fast but I'm wondering if this product will prevent fog.

I don't often have that problem - in fact, I can't remember the last time I had my windshield fog. That said, I don't know that this stuff would prevent it. Perhaps the manufacturer will step in to comment, I know he monitors this thread.

bobalooby1
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing interstate

Postby bobalooby1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

All i can say is, this stuff is the shiz!.. Get you some. :)

Hallct
Motorcycle: 1995 goldwing 1500SE 20th Anniversary

Postby Hallct » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Where can I Oder some of the spray bottle rain reppelant?
Hallct

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 am

Hallct wrote:Where can I Oder some of the spray bottle rain reppelant?
Hallct

You can get it right from the manufacturer, you can get it for slightly less from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

felon
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800 goldwing

Postby felon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 pm

I have a question. New to wind screens here. What do you use to clean the windshield when there are bugs and road grime on it. Gotta do that before you use this stuff. :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:06 pm

felon wrote:I have a question. New to wind screens here. What do you use to clean the windshield when there are bugs and road grime on it. Gotta do that before you use this stuff. :?:

I take a towel, soak it in warm water, and lay it on the windshield for a couple of minutes. It liquifies the encrusted bugs and grime so that it can all be easily wiped off.

Return to “Product Reviews”