Kuryakyn GL1800 5-Position Handlebar Risers

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
blawrimore
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 ABS Goldwing

Kuryakyn GL1800 5-Position Handlebar Risers

Postby blawrimore » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 am

Just wanted to post if you are short rider (5' 7") like myself and want to bring your hand grips back to you so you can get the full affect of the driver's backrest this is the thing to buy. I love these, I no longer have to lean forward like riding a crocth rocket to drive and can use the backrest as intended. Have yet to take a long trip, but cannot wait. My brother and I took a 1000 mile trip last month visiting most of the NC light houses, and the only way to give my back a rest was to extend backwards which only effectted my arms. I also purchased the, Iso Chrome Comfort Grips Iso-Grip Set w/Chrome Accent Ring, Kuryakyn GL1800 Chrome Wide Blade Levers, and Comfort Hand Grip Rest for Comfort Grips. These additionla 3 things have helped with the vibration numbness to my hands and have seemed to help a little with the clunk when changes gears. I think the stock clutch shiffting levers may have not let the shift get fully done before letting out on it. This could have been done because stock ones where a little harder to shift and did not realize.

jfredman
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Re: Kuryakyn GL1800 5-Position Handlebar Risers

Postby jfredman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 am

Had the Kuryakyn risers on my wife's bike. She hated them and they kept working loose. Switched to the MBL and are very pleased! If the Kury's work for you, then great. However, our experience has been that the MBL's are far superior. I even put the wide version on my bike, and I'm 5'10'. Several of our chapter members have gone to the MBL risers after riding mine. Whichever you choose, they help the slow speed maneuvering and are much more comfortable on the highway.

blawrimore

Postby blawrimore » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:46 am

Did her's come with the bolts and lock tight on threads. Mine did , and it's hard for me to believe they would work loss if tighten down to the 20 ft/lb specs with the the lock tight on them. The stock bolts in mine didn't hardly take any pressure at all to lose them up to remove them. I did however tighten the new bolts that came with the kit to 21+ ft/lbs because of the extension being used, as this will throw off the torgue some.

jfredman
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Postby jfredman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Yes, they had the bolts and lock tight threads. Not sure why they came loose. The MBLs put her in a much more comfortable position though.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks jfredman for the heads up on an alternative to the Kuryakin risers. I have the Kury risers and like them a lot, but did not realize there was another availability. I can now check them out and see if I might be even more pleased with them.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

blawrimore

Postby blawrimore » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:31 am

OK thanks for the info. I'll have to keep heads up, and make sure I check them every so often.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I put these on my bike, but they hit the bottom of the intument cluster when turning all the way left or right so took them back off again. Also could not put the cover back on. It also puts a little strain on the brake lines and cables in the rear outer position. Have not seen the MBL's, but will give them a look.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

jschiner
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi/XM

Postby jschiner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 am

I heard of the issue with the Kuryakyn risers and how they interfered with full movement of the bars. I am 5'9" and bought the MBL Standard. It makes a world of difference in the seating position. Allows you to sit more upright and fixed my back pain issue. Wish I would have bought the wide version instead. The standard seems to work my pecs too much because the bars are brought in a little. I've heard that you will get adjusted to the standards after a little bit so I'm going to give it a bit before deciding to change them out for the wide version. Anyway you look at it, Risers Are The Way To Go.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:59 am

crock4 wrote:I put these on my bike, but they hit the bottom of the intument cluster when turning all the way left or right so took them back off again. Also could not put the cover back on. It also puts a little strain on the brake lines and cables in the rear outer position. Have not seen the MBL's, but will give them a look.

This would have been fixed by switching them side to side. Both problems that you mentioned go away when you do this. You get the same benefits, but not the detractions.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Product Reviews”