Goldwing CD replacement Media Players

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
johanvrens
Motorcycle: 2012 Red GL1800, ABS, NAV, Airbag, Premium Audio

Goldwing CD replacement Media Players

Postby johanvrens » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:56 am

Like many other Goldwing owners I too have gone through the process of trying to find the best suitable Media Player that plugs straight into the CD player plug which allows you to control it via the handlebar controls.

That was exhausting and very time consuming having to read hundreds of reviews, taking literally weeks (I have to sleep and eat too :-) )!

I have found basically 5 brands worth mentioning:
1. BikeMP3
2. Soundgate
3. Electrical Connection
4. J&M
5. Grom

The first 4 is available from Wingstuff but the Grom player is available directly from their website.

Now each person has their own personal preference and set of requirements and let's face it, what one person may regard as the best will invariably be the worst to another. But, if the reviews are anything to go by, then it seems the BikeMP3 is the most reliable of the lot. The Soundgate has the highest sales, but if you read the reviews, it is not a very good product - lots of lock-ups and resets required. Yet people have rated it 4+ stars even though they say that they have to reset it at least once a week. This can be very misleading if you look only at the average score, in this case it is 4+. You HAVE to read the reviews to make up your own mind, and trust me, you will not find the Soundgate anywhere near my bike.

I want a media player that can play my iPod Classic 160GB which contains my complete music collection (10,000+ songs). I don't want to continually create new songs on SD cards or USB memory sticks when I get tired of the music on them, PLUS all these players have a limitation on the number of songs you can put on the SD card. My iPod is my music source and a I organise them to suit my mood by using playlists. A good player should be able to accept an iPod as input and be able to perform at least the basic iPod functions.

Most of these players that have a USB port will play most iPods, however, not all of the iPod controls and functionality work on these players. At best you can browse through playlists and skip songs up and down but you cannot pause it. That is because apparently the USB interface is incapable of full iPod control. This is very annoying. If you were listening to your iPod and want to change to the radio or any other audio source, the iPod will continue to play until you turn the ignition off. Depending how long you've stayed switched away from the CD source, you may end up skipping many songs that you may have wanted to listen to. Not good enough!

I personally bought the J&M player (non-bluetooth model) and am very disappointed. They don't tell you what it CANNOT do on their website - you have to find out the expensive way. It has a USB, SD card and Aux input. According to their own instructions, both the USB port and Aux inputs will mix together which is handy if you have a GPS and want to listen to music but get the GPS prompts at the same time so you won't miss a turn. However, this does NOT work (at least not on my 2010 model). J&M support sucks (I won't swear here although tempted :evil: ). After several e-mails trying to get them to replace it under warranty (as the product is not working as advertised :evil: ) I finally gave up. Rodney from Wingstuff was great and offered to refund me if I send it back. I will do this shortly.

Others have also posted reviews with less than satisfactory results from the J&M.

So the hunt continued - where can I find a device capable of playing my iPod and as a minimum, allow playlist skipping and song skipping, plus able to pause the iPod when I change audio source AND has an Aux input for my GPS.

Coming to the rescue - a brand new BikeMP3 dedicated iPod interface with additional Aux input. And yes, it WILL pause the iPod as confirmed by BikeMP3 when I asked them. This new player will be available December 1st 2011 and you can be assured that I will be one of the first in line to get one. So watch this space for a review.....

So, in summary:
1. BikeMP3 seems to be the most reliable of all media players.
2. Soundgate seems to be the most unreliable player although the biggest seller (can't believe so many people fall for the high sales figures even though so many said it's rubbish... :o )
3. Electrical Connection - not many people are buying this player. Mixed results, placing it between BikeMP3 and Soundgate
4. J&M - Well, I hate it but some people find it acceptable. Again, mixed reviews placing it level with EC
5. Grom - could not find that many reviews but it seems to be similar to the BikeMP3 in design. Not sure about the quality though. Also mixed reviews.

I hope this helps anybody seeking a media player for the Goldwing. It is not easy to choose - taste differs. It all depends on how you intend to use it. My choice is clear - BikeMP3. I have yet to find a single negative review of this product.

johanvrens

Re: Goldwing CD replacement Media Players

Postby johanvrens » Wed May 02, 2012 8:12 am

Oh how wrong one can sometimes be :roll: .

Just when you thought you've got it covered, you suddenly discover you judged too quickly! :o

Anyway, as promised above, I am posting an update to the "CD replacement" saga. Much has happened since that post.

I have received and connected the BikeMP3 (IP3 model) but not long afterwards it stopped to remember what was playing when I turn the bike off. Turning the bike on again would cause it to start playing CD4 T3 and just refused to remember the actual track that played last time. Pete from BikeMP3 went out of his way to resolve my issues but unfortunately all efforts failed. According to Pete this particular model do occasionally exhibits issues depending on the bike and iPod models. However he assured me that the very popular BikeMP3 V3 model (SD card only, no iPod) does not have any issues and he actually offered to exchange my IP3 for a V3 free of charge including free shipping cost both ways - very, very decent of him. However I wanted to use my iPod, not an SD card as I have my whole music collection on the Classic iPod. So I politely declined and sent it back for a full refund, ordered the SoundGate, hoping that I would also be one of the many lucky ones that submitted good reviews about this product.

Well, all I can say (after eating humble pie :oops: ) is that so far the SoundGate exceeded any expectations and it is still working without any lock-ups or issues. You can read my posts (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7817#p53017 and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7817#p53279) about the results of me taking the SoundGate for a test drive. Once I've used it for a few more months I will post an update should I find any issues with it.

So to all those SoundGate fans that have read any of my previous posts about my view of the SoundGate (in this forum and others) - my apologies for doubting your good reviews of this product. Having said this, by no means do I imply that those that submitted bad reviews are wrong - to the contrary. All I'm saying is that you have to always keep an open mind before passing judgment. I learnt this the expensive way - 3rd one lucky (J&M, BikeMP3 and now SoundGate)! :D

ajcowz
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Deluxe

Postby ajcowz » Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 am

Hi Johanvrens,

I've got the J&M Bluetooth version and have had it 10 months connected to an Australian GL1800.

It has never missed a beat and I've got no problems using it via the handlebar controls. It does all it says it will do.

The one fault I have with the J&M Bluetooth unit is that it will only connect via bluetooth to a Garmin Zumo GPS. I wanted to connect it to my TomTom Rider and failed dismally.

I quickly realised that J&M my have good products but they are proprietary. Even purchasing headsets - the Elite uses a different cable to the Performance headset.

johanvrens

Postby johanvrens » Sat May 12, 2012 7:42 am

ajcowz wrote:...........I quickly realised that J&M my have good products but they are proprietary.....

Reminds of of the early days of digital cameras and other electronic gadgets when Sony did pretty much the same thing - designed proprietary flash cards and interface cables so that you could not buy other cheaper brands to use with their gadgets. They lost a lost of market share initially because of that until they decided to come to the party.

I hate companies that decide to go against mainstream and come up with their own proprietary support for what is supposed to be an "open" protocol and standard connectors. One of the reasons I don't buy J&M. Because of their proprietary cables and Bluetooth support they can charge those disgustingly high prices for their cables as they know you cannot buy it anywhere else.

I'd much rather support companies that uses standard connectors but in stead concentrate on the quality and durability of their core products and are not out to rip you off.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Sun May 13, 2012 6:14 pm

I installed a bike mp3 last month I love it so far.. Sally :lol:

slojason
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing

Postby slojason » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 pm

I recently purchased and had installed J&M Bluetooth/MP3 player. It worked fine for a few days but now the whole sound system, including the stock sound system will cease to function. Then it may work fine until the next time I shut the bike off and start it again. I have just started a dialogue with J & M so we'll see how it goes. I spoke to two people today and neither one was in a position to discuss or resolve the issue. I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow. Bad timing as I was planning to leave for Oregon next week. I used a reputable installer.

SidebandSamurai
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Goldwing

Postby SidebandSamurai » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 pm

All;

My wing does not have a sound system. My GoldWing is not the interstate model, just the GoldWing with interstate bags and a Vetter fairing on it. Wondering what people have done to get music on their rigs.

One Idea i had was to install an actual computer. This is the unit I was planning on using, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103629 with a touch screen, running some kind of audio software. With in that I could have GPS, MP3 play back, and just about anything else my heart desired.

Then I thought that I would just install an amplifier, and use my DroidX as the music source. Problem is speakers. There is no real place to put them.

I guess I could use a head set, although headphones in the helmet are illegal in California. In California you can not have both ears covered while driving. I guess I could only use one speaker in the helmet. Its funny though, I see people ALL the time wearing their ear buds listening to the Ipod. For me, I have had the benefit of hearing something first before something bad happened and I avoided an accident.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Sideband Samurai

Return to “Product Reviews”