Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Moto Solutions FogTech helmet anti-fog

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Back in early summer, I wrote a review on Moto Solutions RainCoat windshield coating, a product you spray onto your windshield to cause rain to sheet off - very important for us Wing riders with large windshields that we have to look through instead of over.

When Moto Solutions sent me the RainCoat, they also included a box of FogTech helmet anti-fog coating. I told them I would do a review on it once the weather turned cold.

The product comes in small single-use packets, each containing a small wipe impregnated with the anti-fog solution. It claims it's "multiple use" - but I don't expect it would last long without drying out once the packet was torn open.

I have to admit - I was skeptical. I've tried anti-fog products before, and they seldom worked - or if they did, they worked poorly. So I didn't go into this expecting much. I removed the visor from my helmet, cleaned the inside (which it needed anyway), and applied an even layer of the FogTech product as the instructions specified.

Once the product dried, I reinstalled the visor. Looking closely, there is no evidence that there is any kind of coating on the visor. There's no greasy residue - no indication that there's anything there at all. I then took my helmet outside and left it to sit in 30 degree weather for 20 minutes, until it was good and cold.

After the helmet was cold-soaked, I went outside and put it on. I shut the visor, pulled down the chin deflector (which keeps me warmer, but usually makes my helmet fog up quickly in cold weather, requiring me to keep the visor cracked open). I took a deep breath, and breathed onto the inside of the visor. The result? To my astonishment, nothing. Absolutely no fog whatsoever. I couldn't believe it! I walked around breathing heavily for a couple minutes trying to create any fog at all - unsuccessfully.

I brought the helmet inside and took it off. Opening the visor, I found that at the very bottom of the visor, where the weather seal contacts the visor when it is closed, the weather seal had rubbed some of the coating off - and that was the only place where there was evidence of fog:

As you can tell, this product works exceptionally well. It continued to work exceptionally well, for the next few days, or over the course of approximately ten riding hours. I then noticed a bit of spots or streaks that started to collect fog. Cleaning the visor with water and reapplying the product fixed that instantly.

Yet another product that I can highly recommend. I definitely won't ride in cold weather without it again.

More information on FogTech is available at their website, http://www.fogtech.com

Return to “Product Reviews”