How to winterize your motorcycle

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
timmorris
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Re: How to winterize your motorcycle

Post by timmorris » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:22 am

I put my trike on wooden boards. Concrete draws moisture from the tyres over the months and they will dry out and start cracking.
I use an OXFORD battery conditioner charger. Noproblem.
Keep bike in a dry shed/garage with no artificial heating. Leave boot and panniers open to breath and stop condensation.Keep fuel level up to prevent condensation and drain off after a long long rest.
Silicone over switches, seals etc.and refresh as necessary.
Release hand brake if fitted
Check anti freeze.
LEAVE engine alone unless giving a serious run. ;)

PRACTIKALGUY
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by PRACTIKALGUY » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 pm

I've always used Prestone 50/50 in my 1100, because it stated right on the label that it was silicate-free. However, they changed the design of their label and the silicate-free statement isn't there anymore. Does anyone know if, in fact, it is still silicate-free?

Blackngold
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by Blackngold » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Is this the correct Honda coolant part #08C50-C321S01 ? Also can you give me the part# for timing cover gasket. THX!!

NormanSchultz
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

How to winterize your motorcycle

Post by NormanSchultz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:04 pm

I Second BillSanders... It's Spring. Unwinterize article???

I commend the guys that live in an area that do not have to do this - right along with experienced owners that already know how to unwinterize however, I am a recent Goldwing owner and have found a LOT of excellent information within these forums.

I've seen comments like "just do the reverse", but hell... I've invested a lot in my GW and I take instructions seriously on how to care for that investment. It may be a really simply process but I wont assume cause we know the deal behind assuming.

Anyway, If you could update us with that document, it would be great!..

Much thanks. ~Norman

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1999 Virago XV1100LC
Luggage Trailer, year unknown

Post by bstig60 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Basics for bringing your GW back to life in the spring:
If you had the battery removed, bring it to a full charge and install it.
Check the air filter and service if necessary, Don't forget the cruise and sub-air filters.
Check coolant level and replenish as needed.
Check oil level. If you didn't change the oil and filter when you winterized the bike, do it now.
Check brake and clutch fluid levels.. If fluid is dirty, change and bleed the clutch and brake systems.
Check tire pressure and bring it up to manufacturers specs stamped on the tire..
Check for weather cracks or separations in your tires, replace if needed..
I would recommend pulling the drive shaft and replenishing the moly grease on the splines. Honda M77 or equiv.
While you have the rear wheel off, check the brake pads for wear and the rear caliper for any leaks.
Check front brake pads for wear, check front calipers for leaks.
Check brakes for proper operation.
With the bike on the center stand, start the engine and let it warm up to operating temp.
Check for vacuum leaks.
Check all lighting to make sure everything works properly.
Replenish fuel and add 1/2 a can of Seafoam to fuel tank.
Put on your gear and go for a ride....
Bill

NormanSchultz
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by NormanSchultz » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:39 pm

bstig60 thanks for the post. One question, I did the seafoam deal for winterizing. Are you saying that during the de-winterizing, I need to do the fuel and seafoam again? just making sure... Thank you.

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Post by bstig60 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:04 pm

No, it isn't necessary if you added it to the fuel tank when you winterized. Then again, it won't hurt anything to add half a can at the next fill up either.
Bill

Dr.T
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

Post by Dr.T » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:54 am

Er... does a "double dose" of Marine Stab-il mean empty two bottles of it in the tank before storing?

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Post by bstig60 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 am

Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner and it can also be used as a stabilizer. Marine Sta-bil is only a fuel stabilizer and can be used with or instead of Seafoam to stabilize the fuel for winter storage. Dr. T; follow the instructions on the bottle for Sta-bil usage.
Bill

barnaclebill
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing SE Trike conversion (Totally submerged in 2011 floods),
rebuilt with replacement 1992 engine

Post by barnaclebill » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:03 am

bstig60 wrote:Basics for bringing your GW back to life in the spring:
I feel awfully left out here! I live in Thailand, daily temps running at an average 35 degs C, and my Goldwing GL1500 SE Trike goes out every day throughout the year, so it never gets "Put up" for the winter, and therefore never needs to be "brought back to life in the spring".

Reaching the end of my "touring" life now, I'm 82, but still get out and about locally, As long as I remain within shouting distance of home! Would go further afield if I had company, but language difficulties and (others') time available, puts a damper on any plans of "wind in my hair" rides I might a have!

Had a problem earlier this year when the Trike began to act sluggish, wouldn't idle and needed lots of revs to keep going! Didn't trust riding it for 40-odd clicks to the service garage so employed a low-loader. Interesting to see how he shackled it down - and I did watch very closely! He uses straps over the wheels down to 'tie bolts' on the deck. No strain on the vehicle frame at all. The problem turned out to be very dirty plugs, and a quick replacement got the Trike going again. Reasons for dirty plugs? Not riding for any length of time and remaining in low gear for too long - I think!

jimduffenais
Motorcycle: 1990 gl 1500 interstate

Post by jimduffenais » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Im a little worried about the carberators. I live in Ontario Canada...Im pretty much parking my bike for now as it is a bit chilly. If we get some warm days I will run for a ride. I have stabilized the fuel, changed the oils, checked the coolant, ran a full can of seafoam, carb cleaner, and fuel stabilizer through a half tank of fuel...yes the mixture was very concentrated but I ran it on the hiway like that for almost 1 hour at 120km/h giving it a good cleanout. I then came home..topped up with premium fuel, added 1/2 can seafoam, and more fuel stabilzer along with an ani gel formula for the fuel. I rode for 10 more mins and parked it.

I am not sure how to empty the carberator? I have never worked on a carberated engine before. I sure as heck don't want to start taking body parts off now in the cold weather for fear of the parts cracking and breaking. I think the carberator is under the fairing somewhere but ....Is there an easier way to empty the carberator for winter storage? I see there is a vacumm line with a cap/plug in it under the fuel door to the right of the fill cap..what is that for?

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Post by bstig60 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:42 pm

The Seafoam acts as a fuel stabilizer and should protect your carbs. It is better to leave the carbs with stabilized fuel in them for the winter months than to drain them and have them dry out and draw moisture during storage then risk flooding problems in the spring. The carbs are located under the air cleaner. The radio and plastics need to be removed to get to them. My suggestion is that if the bike is running well, you have already done all you can. Store the bike in a protected area, heated if possible for the winter.
Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:36 pm

I agree. I put a good dose of Marine Sta-Bil as well as a bit of Seafoam in my gas, fill the tank, run it enough to get that mixture into the carbs, and park it for the winter.

jimduffenais

Post by jimduffenais » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks guys...Ive been asking around at work with the guys who ride and they are agreeing with your sediments as well. I had one gentleman who owns an 84 wing suggest that I not only put the bike on center stand to get the back wheel off the ground but to raise the front tire of the ground as well using a jack? He said he has done a few fork seal jobs and since he has been jcking it up off the ground completely(not sitting on wood and carpeting) he hasnt had to do the seals.

Ive never heard of having to get the front end in the air as well...just to ensure the wheels are'nt touching the concrete to avoid premature tire failure/aging.

You ever hear of this reason for the front jacking?

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Post by bstig60 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:16 am

No, I have not. But getting the tire off the ground during storage will prevent a flat spot forming on the tire.
Bill

jimduffenais

Post by jimduffenais » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:36 am

I jacked up the front tire pretty easily by placing a small hydraulic jack near the front of the bottom of the oil pan. Placed a pce of 2x4 in between the jack and pan to spread out the pressure. It lifted fairly easy.

Is that the proper way to lift for this scenerio? I have a motor cycle jack as well but am weary of where to put it without causing damages.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:10 am

That is the best way to lift it - but on the center stand, the front tire has maybe 30 or 40 pounds of force on it, as compared to the 300 or 400 pounds it has when the bike is off the center stand. Do you really think it is going to flat spot (or that the forks are compressed) in that kind of situation? Look at the contact patch the front tire has when it is on the center stand - it's barely touching the ground. I think the benefits to the tire and suspenion (i.e. none) nowhere near outweigh the potential dangers from making your bike a bit more unstable by teetering the engine on top of a trolley jack all winter.

jimduffenais

Post by jimduffenais » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:12 pm

So you reccomend just leaving it on the center stand?...no other jacking required for storage?
I will have wood and carpet under the front wheel

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Post by keithg64 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:00 pm

I do all of my winter maintenance at the beginning of the winter season. I have more time and don't want to do it at the end of the season. I keep the battery on the tender all winter long. My garage is half way insulated. It usually won't get below 20 degrees at the worst of winter. I have a wood burning stove and am out there most weekends and over Christmas shut down. Sometimes with the heat change I do get a moisture problem that I need to run the bike up to temp a few times over the winter.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

jimduffenais

Post by jimduffenais » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:52 am

Thanks for the advice

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Winterize? Yesterday we rode with our PGR group in the local Veterans Day Parade, then rode across town to a burger place for lunch, and home - in short sleeve T-shirts! :D

The thing I really love about winter weather is seeing it on facebook when people post photos! :twisted:
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Oldbear » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Alan_Hepburn wrote:Winterize? Yesterday we rode with our PGR group in the local Veterans Day Parade, then rode across town to a burger place for lunch, and home - in short sleeve T-shirts! :D
veteransday2016.jpg
The thing I really love about winter weather is seeing it on facebook when people post photos! :twisted:
But at least the ground doesn't shake under my feet. And we're been having awesome weather way up north too. It's the middle of November and we're still riding. I'll winterize over the Christmas break... maybe.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

jimduffenais

Post by jimduffenais » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:40 pm

ok.... because im a new owner...what are the boot and panniers?
What type of silicone would you recommend over the switches and fork seals.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:04 pm

BOOT & PANNERS

Basic spray silicone lube is all I use. I'll cut cardboard as an edger to catch over spray.
I try to stock ONE spray to cover multitude of things, otherwise I'd need a 5 car garage for just 1 car & 1 bike.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 pm

jimduffenais wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:35 pm
Thanks guys...Ive been asking around at work with the guys who ride and they are agreeing with your sediments as well. I had one gentleman who owns an 84 wing suggest that I not only put the bike on center stand to get the back wheel off the ground but to raise the front tire of the ground as well using a jack? He said he has done a few fork seal jobs and since he has been jcking it up off the ground completely(not sitting on wood and carpeting) he hasnt had to do the seals.

Ive never heard of having to get the front end in the air as well...just to ensure the wheels are'nt touching the concrete to avoid premature tire failure/aging.

You ever hear of this reason for the front jacking?
I don't think this is necessary. The amount of weight on the front wheel when the bike is on the center stand is negligible - I can actually lift the front wheel of my GL1500 off the ground when the bike is on the center stand. Compared to the 400 lbs that is usually resting on that wheel, it's tiny - and certainly not enough to create a flat spot.