Motorcycle Hacks

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
jschiner
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi/XM

Re: Motorcycle Hacks

Post by jschiner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 pm

How about this, on a hot day wet a couple of face towels and put them in a baggie along with a couple of ice cubes. They are great for a refresh break. Go onto eBay and buy a cheap set of real handcuffs. I use them to secure my helmets and it gives you a sense of security when you walk away. Maybe one day I can get the wife to try them on also! On a trip do not leave home without a Butler Cup. It saved my life in 105 degree weather.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42 pm

atpfirefly wrote:I have a 1999 Goldwing and was looking for a temporary and inexpensive backrest that could be set up for the driver.....just today, I picked up an inexpensive sleeping bag that comes in a tight fitting carry bag, very common item. I bugeeed it into the rear seat and it fit PERFECTLY. THIS HAS SOLVED THE MINOR ISSUE OF NOT HAVING TO INSTALL AN OTHERWISE PERMANENT BACKREST.
I've seen pictures of a CTX700 with exactly that:

CTX700 with trunk bag/backrest

pienchips
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A Goldwing
Honda ST1300 2002
Suzuki DR350 1996
Yamaha TT350
Kawasaki KLR 650(the bone crusher)
Yamaha XT500 silver tank
yes even Suzuki FA50
Yamaha DT125 1977?
First bike Yamaha scooter 75cc

Post by pienchips » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi all from Oz
You all probably have this and i think it has been discussed before but for a cheap side stand pad for soft soil, I got a small piece of aluminium aprox. 3" by 5" or metric 75mm X 125mm so it fits in our front bike pouch drill a small hole near an edge and tie some string/fishing line to it.
When the need comes you can hold onto the string lower it into positon and wella, I also tie the string onto my clutch lever so I don't forget it and when you want to go,lift the bike up pull on the string, untie of the lever and put back in the bike pouch.

mbuesing
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800
Past rides.
1991 Yamaha Venture Royal 1300
1979 Kawasaki SR 650
198? Yamaha 175 Enduro
1976 Kawasaki KZ 400 (my son still rides this bike)
197? Yamaha 90 Enduro
1965 Honda S65 Sport
Minnie bike

Post by mbuesing » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:42 pm

Paulcf wrote:As you may remember from biology class, insects skeletons/bodies are made up of chitin. As we ride our motorcycles, poor insects die from a violent sudden impact with your windshield and/or face shield, etc. The removal of this 'goo' has been the subject of debate for a long time on how to remove it without damaging fragile plastic parts, etc.

What I learned from an old grizzled rider is the following: H2O2 or as it is generally called as hydrogen peroxide does wonders! I keep a well cleaned out spray bottle filled with it. Merely spray it on the remains of the bugs and it instantly dissolves the chitin into a white foam. Repeat as needed. Merely wipe with a cloth and you are good to go. As you also remember from chemistry class, hydrogen peroxide is a denser form of water and in fact that is why it is sold in dark bottles as light will eventually transform it into regular H2O or water.

It will NOT dissolve or fade plastics, etc. and I have sprayed it on my motorcycles and current Goldwing with no harm whatsoever. Plus if you happen to cut yourself it kills germs. So get an empty spray bottle that isn't transparent or opaque and wash it thoroughly and fill with hydrogen peroxide and carry on your bike. I find it helpful to spray into the 2 radiators on my goldwing to soften and loosen bugs prior to washing it.

It is obtainable at any drug/grocery store and is inexpensive. Remember you must store it in a dark spray bottle or the H2O2 will revert to regular water.

If you find this helpful and works for you, I'd love to hear your feedback!
Yep, works great. Hangs in the garage next to my bikes parking place. Get home from a ride and just wipe them off. When I go on a trip it go's with along with some microfiber rags. The peroxide will also remove blood from clothing.

I also keep a damp rag in a zip-lock bag for?.
The GL1800 is a crotch rocket on Steroids.

SgtCharlie
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade in "Plum Crazy" Purple

Post by SgtCharlie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Wow! I'm such a Prepper! I do/have most of these things in my bike at all times. I use nitrite gloves for the wet hands hack all the time because if your gloves get soaked, your hands stay dry so when you stop and take them off, your hands warm up very fast. Also, I love the idea of putting the plastic bags over your boots to make your rain gear slide on easier, Ingeniuous!
Being an EMT, I always have my first responder bag in my left saddle bag and in it, gloves, scissors, etc. Being the Motorcycle mentor for my military company, I always bring 2 each, 2 gallon containers of fuel in the middle trunk whenever we go on long rides because inevitably a sport bike always runs out of fuel at some point!
I love the Pledge hack! I'm definitely going to try that one.
Great ideas from everyone in the comments too!

Ride safe and God Bless!
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:18 am

I just posted this as a reply to someone who had this problem, but I thought I would add it here as well, as it might help you out. It helped fix the original poster's problem.

You're riding down the road, and something is rattling like crazy. It only happens when you're at speed, so you don't really have a way to figure out what it is when you're sitting in the garage. Here's how to help find the offending rattler.

Do this with a helper. Put the bike on the centerstand. Have someone keep weight on the front wheel to keep it on the ground. Better yet, put a 2x6 under the center stand, to get the rear wheel an extra two inches in the air.

Fasten something with a bit of weight VERY SECURELY around one of the spokes of the rear wheel. 1/4 lb would be about as much as I would use for this. Several turns of Romex might work, with the ends secured tightly to one another with a hose clamp. The idea is to create an imbalance on the wheel, but not extend beyond the wheel itself, so it doesn't contact anything. Rotate the wheel several times to make sure it has clearance. Keep in mind the weight may deform somewhat from centrifugal force, you'll want to take this into account.

Start the bike up and put it in first gear. Start the rear wheel rotating. You will feel the imbalance through the bike as vibration. The faster the wheel rotates, the higher the frequency of vibration. At some point, you will hit the resonant frequency of whatever on the bike is rattling, which will enable you to walk around and find the exact source of vibration.

Be careful, and do this at your own risk!

DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by DaveDanger » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:10 am

In response to the fuel tank mileage concerns we all have... I have a fairly simple mileage-stretcher that works for me, and is easy enough for anyone to employ. Modern 1 quart oil cans/bottles have screw tops that are quite liquid-tight. I keep a minimum of two, full of gasoline in my saddlebag. I'll carry as many as four if I know I'll be riding some distant roads with few services. I always use a Phillips® aircraft oil bottle (it's what I have available) primarily because they have an extra long spout on their bottles, which reaches into my tank filler port easily. If I were to run so far into my reserve that I begin to sputter, I have a minimum of a half gallon at my fingertips.
A detail that is not important to this post but relevant in a tiny manner, is that I keep 100 octane Avgas in these bottles. My purpose for Avgas is that it is blended for long term storage compared to automotive fuel. I don't worry about it breaking down and separating from sitting in my saddlebags for months or longer, on end. I work around airplanes and have relatively unlimited access to it, so it's a no-brainer :)
Someone else employing this hack might want to keep their automotive fuel treated with Sta-Bil or something similar.

DD
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:22 am

DaveDanger wrote:In response to the fuel tank mileage concerns we all have... I have a fairly simple mileage-stretcher that works for me, and is easy enough for anyone to employ. Modern 1 quart oil cans/bottles have screw tops that are quite liquid-tight. I keep a minimum of two, full of gasoline in my saddlebag. I'll carry as many as four if I know I'll be riding some distant roads with few services. I always use a Phillips® aircraft oil bottle (it's what I have available) primarily because they have an extra long spout on their bottles, which reaches into my tank filler port easily. If I were to run so far into my reserve that I begin to sputter, I have a minimum of a half gallon at my fingertips.
A detail that is not important to this post but relevant in a tiny manner, is that I keep 100 octane Avgas in these bottles. My purpose for Avgas is that it is blended for long term storage compared to automotive fuel. I don't worry about it breaking down and separating from sitting in my saddlebags for months or longer, on end. I work around airplanes and have relatively unlimited access to it, so it's a no-brainer :)
Someone else employing this hack might want to keep their automotive fuel treated with Sta-Bil or something similar.

DD
Might want to carry a spare set of plugs as well if you're running 100LL in your bike, as they can get easily lead-fouled at the comparitively low power settings motorcycle engines typically run at most of the time (compared to aircraft engines).

DaveDanger

Post by DaveDanger » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:35 am

Heh Heh... the spare plugs are in a tiny container snugged up right beside the fuel bottles, along with a particularly comprehensive set of tools. My Lh saddlebag is the "techside" whereas the Rh saddlebag carries my rolled up chaps and vest, spare hoodie and rainsuit + all the little hack idea items mentioned here and elsewhere.
I don't often ride for any distance on pure Avgas, but will thin it with regular as quickly as possible. That being said, the Wing runs sweet on 100 octane :)
Many times, as I'm topping my tank normally, I'll add one of those quart bottles of Avgas before filling with regular, then I'll refill my bottle when I return to work. That does help circulate my emergency fuel and guarantee a fresh supply. Just that quart of 100 octane seems to spike the automotive 87 octane enough to help it accelerate more smoothly.
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 am

DaveDanger wrote:In response to the fuel tank mileage concerns we all have... I have a fairly simple mileage-stretcher that works for me, and is easy enough for anyone to employ. Modern 1 quart oil cans/bottles have screw tops that are quite liquid-tight. I keep a minimum of two, full of gasoline in my saddlebag. I'll carry as many as four if I know I'll be riding some distant roads with few services. I always use a Phillips® aircraft oil bottle (it's what I have available) primarily because they have an extra long spout on their bottles, which reaches into my tank filler port easily. If I were to run so far into my reserve that I begin to sputter, I have a minimum of a half gallon at my fingertips.
A detail that is not important to this post but relevant in a tiny manner, is that I keep 100 octane Avgas in these bottles. My purpose for Avgas is that it is blended for long term storage compared to automotive fuel.
I don't worry about it breaking down and separating from sitting in my saddlebags for months or longer, on end. I work around airplanes and have relatively unlimited access to it, so it's a no-brainer :)

DD
IF you're riding them bottles are kept mixed by your riding. I'm sure you don't store said fuel over winter layups.
OH!!! I'm not touting ethKRAPanol,... just say'n.
As per Oil-Qts of fuel. If you're getting say 40mpg's, 1 qt = a mere 10 miles. I found a 1gal fuel container that takes up little space but it's in ONE container. I tried the Qt bottles and like the packing versatility more. I'm still looking for those 'old time' 2 Qt bottles, they were thicker.

BUT one thing I do is placing any extra fuel that goes in the saddlebags into a double plastic bag and each twist-tied along with a terry-towel on the bottom for absorption IF there's drips. AND IF the bags are tall enough, the twist tied end I'll exit out the saddlebag door at the bottom, flat of course.

By accident I found something interesting. When I mixed my fuel additive (2 stroke oil + B12 + my secrete sauce) in Qt bottles, no pressure builds.
JUST passing on a "Helpful Heloise" tip.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

DaveDanger

Post by DaveDanger » Wed May 11, 2016 8:16 am

Not to be bragging, but here in south Georgia, we have NO winter layoff :)
Honestly, if I go long enough without needing to use my "emergency" fuel, I go ahead and pour it into my tank while I'm refilling normally, :) one quart per refill... just to improve my octane. I then refill my bottles with fresh Avgas as I empty them, and back into my saddlebag they go.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 11, 2016 8:39 am

DaveDanger wrote:Not to be bragging, but here in south Georgia, we have NO winter layoff :)
Honestly, if I go long enough without needing to use my "emergency" fuel, I go ahead and pour it into my tank while I'm refilling normally, :) one quart per refill... just to improve my octane. I then refill my bottles with fresh Avgas as I empty them, and back into my saddlebag they go.
yaaaa, I wish I could get my girl to rotate the food stock. :( But it's new pushes old to the back. Last night (hidden behind her jelly flavor) I found a salsa jar had 3/4 inch thick of mold built up. MMmmm, chewable Penicillin anyone? :twisted:
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

electdroid
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

spare gasoline is super dangerous

Post by electdroid » Wed May 11, 2016 10:16 am

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, CARRY SPARE GASOLINE IN YOUR SADDLEBAGS! Gasoline is extremely volitile and flammable and explosive! If that **** leaks into your saddlebag or you're in an accident the results could be EXTREME INJURY OR DEATH! Think about it! There are appproved containers for gas and used oil jugs ain't one of them! Plan ahead and fuel up--there are gas stations everywhere. I've never run out of gas in 50 years of riding.

Another poster suggested putting your bike on the centerstand and running it in gear. BAD IDEA! Don't do this if you value your bike and your life!

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Post by triwing » Wed May 11, 2016 10:34 am

Have on occasion, carried fuel on the luggage rick, on the rear of the standard's, when out in the open spaces down in the hills. :) Their gas is often not what it should be. :roll: Our state has NO real quality standards, :twisted: only to put in at least 10% ethanol **** in it, :evil: & a gallon is delivered. :lol:

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Mon May 23, 2016 3:47 pm

DaveDanger wrote: A detail that is not important to this post but relevant in a tiny manner, is that I keep 100 octane Avgas in these bottles. My purpose for Avgas is that it is blended for long term storage compared to automotive fuel.
DD
CAUTION!! I agree that Avgas is good for long storage. HOWEVER! If you ride a newer Wing with a catalytic converter, do NOT use Avgas! Avgas contains LEAD, quite a bit of LEAD, which will destroy the cat.
(I've heard that Avgas has more lead than car gas did when car gas still had it.)
I'm a licensed pilot, so I know about these things.
Dave Danger rides an older Wing, so this is fine for him. Also works great in my old '76.
I don't know what year they started using catalytic converters, so better check if yours is a newer Wing.

Can anyone tell me what year the Wings started with cat converters?
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

DaveDanger

Post by DaveDanger » Mon May 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Offcenter is correct here, and I personally wasn't aware that newer Wings are equipped with catalytic converters. Been a loooong time since I've owned a new bike:)
That being said, Offcenter is also correct about the lead quantity... aviation gasoline is 100 octane and is labeled as 100LL meaning "low lead". That however is compared to the previous avgas octane levels (of as much as 130 octane). 100LL avgas is MUCH more highly leaded than any version of automotive gasoline. I can personally attest that running avgas in any vehicle with a catalytic converter is guaranteed to clog that converter and seriously affect the operation of that engine, especially considering all of the computer controls in use nowadays.

offcenter
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Mon May 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks for that, Dave. By your avatar, you appear to be a commercial pilot.
I'm just a simple private pilot, SEL.

I'll be curious about hearing what year they started putting cats on the Wings.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000

DaveDanger

Post by DaveDanger » Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks for that, Dave. By your avatar, you appear to be a commercial pilot.
I'm just a simple private pilot, SEL.
Offcenter, I keep a pilot's logbook and do have an occasional entry when I need to take something up for a test flight (with an instructor) but it's an expensive hobby that I've never been able to afford:) The B-100 KingAir in the background of my avatar photo is one that I maintain locally.

I am an A&P/IA and own an aircraft maintenance shop here in CSG. Love my job and the aviation community :)

offcenter
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Fri May 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Same here Dave. Too expensive.
For the last eleven years I have had a key to a friend's Piper Tomahawk and
had free use of the plane as long as I put gas in it.
But recently he sold the plane, so now I'm a grounded bird again. Damn.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2016 12:20 pm

offcenter wrote:Same here Dave. Too expensive.
For the last eleven years I have had a key to a friend's Piper Tomahawk and
had free use of the plane as long as I put gas in it.
But recently he sold the plane, so now I'm a grounded bird again. Damn.
I had a friend when I lived in Maryland that gave me free use of his Piper Arrow III (for cost of fuel), and when I lived in Canada I had free use of my father's Cherokee 180 (again for cost of fuel). What luxury! No such luxury anymore, now that I can actually afford to make use of it....

Bubblechaser
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by Bubblechaser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:13 pm

I like riding with my wife in the hack mounted to my wing but as far as the math, I use a trip meter on my VTX as well as mpg. I hate running out of gas especially when stupid me forgets about the reserve tank :oops:

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Bubblechaser: I just HAVE to ask... if you're riding with your wife in the hack, who is driving?? :lol:

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Bubblechaser
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by Bubblechaser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:50 pm

:lol: You got me on that one :D