Common Goldwing Failures

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Common Goldwing Failures

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 28, 2015 1:34 pm

I was thinking of a list of some of the most common failure items - weak points - we encounter on our Goldwings. Interestingly, none involve the engine internals - virtually all of them are external accessories, drive, brakes, and so on.

The list is contained in the June 2015 newsletter, which can be seen here: http://goldwingdocs.com/Newsletter/News ... 015-06.asp

If you could make up a list, what would you include on it?

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: Common Goldwing Failures

Postby maintainer » Thu May 28, 2015 2:50 pm

I'll get the ball rolling:
Loose corroded battery terminals
Dirty starter switches
dry lock cylinders (luggage)
Poor wiring connections and ground lugs in general
dry and damaged clutch, brake, or throttle cables
timing belts
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Rjabrum
Motorcycle: Honda xl250 Dominator sold,1994 Yamaha xj900f, Honda GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby Rjabrum » Thu May 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Being a newby on this forum, also on Goldwing GL1100.
In my experience upto now: clotted up carbs (when i bought it was running stationary on 1 cylinder). Was a lot of work/money to invest in an old bike (1982). Replaced the clutch cable.
And coming up is the gearbox that when accelerating doesnt want to switch from 3 to 4. Without any other GW experience i think the gearbox is veeery much NOT refined produces a lot of gearnoise and switching gears is like driving a tractor. (Any ideas?)
Further it think it is not a gasguzzler 1liter to 16,8km's if i drive below 130km/hr.
Seems to me a bulletproof bike if i get this fixed.
Almost forgot to mention that when i bought it it had heel/toe shifter, i removed it and a friend welded a L-shape piece of metal on top of the standard gearshifter so i can leave the floorboards mounted. Is not a real repair but it works well.
Greetz
Richard
Last edited by Rjabrum on Thu May 28, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:16 pm

I think it should be broken down by model.
Some of the ones that come to mind for the two models that I've had are:

1200:
- yellow connector wires to stater
- side panels and saddlebag tops coming loose and flying off

1500:
- wheel covers coming loose and flying off
- LED screen half moon
- loose shifter
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu May 28, 2015 5:24 pm

I think the most issues I have had on mine so far (touch wood) have been maintenance items.

Fork Seals
Caliper Rebuilds
Brake Pads
Driven Flange
Carburettor Refresh
Starter motor clean up
Bad frame earth

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:10 pm

For the 1500 with proper maintenance they are very reliable.

A few weak points on that model would be:

Alternators
Fuel pumps
Late model LCD's
The occasional coolant leak from the many hoses
And last but not least those troublesome handlebar switches :)
Last edited by ct1500 on Thu May 28, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu May 28, 2015 7:10 pm

OK I'm going to stir the pot a bit here.No lies though.The 1800 has had more costly problems than all the other Wing sizes put together.
First and foremost is the cracked frames in the earlier ones and they're still showing up.My buddy has an 04 broken right now that Mother Honda is refusing to help with.
Second is the Alternator Drive Gear failures which requires engine removal and a minimum of $600 worth of parts plus labour.They changed the drive design in 06,but there are some of them showing up failing as well.
Third is the tranny failures(more common than you would think)and once again requires engine removal,trans parts as well as re-ringing the cylinders on one side at least.Approximately a $3 to $4 k repair.

On top of that are the crappy switches that are forever sticking and not working no matter how well you look after it.

Just saying that after owning 6 Wings(one of each size and 2 1200's)that while the 1800 is the most sophisticated,best handling Wing I'm not so sure it's the best bang for your buck.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 pm

GL1500
Reverse - switches and adjustment;
Petcock, fuel pump, and venting of the fuel cap;
Battery and electricals, mainly grounds;
Relays;
Instrument lights;
Sub-air filter - because it is buried;
Ethanol - especially if it is left in the fuel system for a while.

I think that should put a few thinking caps on.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 pm

I have a 1999 1500SE. New out of the crate in 1999. Now with 142,000 miles. Most aggravating problems were annual replacement of the running light bulbs and semi annual of the head light bulbs.
Maintaince issues since new
1-alternator
Semi annual brake pads
4 year brake caliper rebuild and flush brake fluids - front and rear
2- universal joints
6- sets of tires
1-water pump
1-set timing belts - almost due again
Engine heat shield falling apart
Just replaced the final drive and drive flange
Replaced both harnesses for the cruise control and turn signals
What mother Honda can not make something besides the engine last forever? LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sweet ride no matter her issues
Attachments

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri May 29, 2015 6:32 am

I guess I should feel lucky. The only problem I've ever had on my 1500 was some sticky switches on the handlebars that some spray cleaner took care of. Almost all of the "common" ills are taken care of by vigilant maintenance. The biggest issue I had was that I couldn't get a full season out of a rear tire. Not to start something, but the Austone took care of that!

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri May 29, 2015 8:45 am

Neat subject....I think the Oldwings would have been much more ....umm....durable...?...., if they were a push rod engine ( no belts), had a bigger battery box, had a bigger starter, a hard wired stator, heavier gauge wire at the soldinoid switch, and, ethanol had never been invented.
Although it don't seem to be a problem, I don't really think much of chain in a engine.
However, I believe overall, it's the best production bike ever built.....oh yeah....forgot to mention the vacuum advance....I wonder why no one has loop holed an aftermarket va....you know, like, build some silly simple something that requires a vacuum actuator that just "happens" to fit a goldwing?
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Sticking starter solenoid (all models)
Bad ground to the capacitor. (1000)
The 3 wire plug from the alternator ( all models)
Starter clutch sticking (all models)
Clutch scavenge pump blockage (all models, causes gear change problems)
The dreaded B plate on the 75-77 models (not much better on all the rest)
Bent gear selector forks 75-77 (improved a bit for the 78 on models)
We've had two 1000s recently with snapped primary chain
Blockage of the water transfer port from pump to thermostat (1000 / 1100)
water pump bearings
Noisy timing belt tensioners
Timing belts
Carbs needing rebuild (all models inc 1200)
Fuel pump diaphragm (1000 / 1100)
Starter button failure
Wear in forks on the 1000s (no replaceable bushes)
Old rubber brake hoses
Rusted rear brake line
Drive flange splines
Drive shaft and coupler splines
Drive shaft U/J (1200s seem to be ok with this)
7V regulator for fuel and temp
Had a spate of 12V regulator failures recently
Rusty fuel tank
Gummed up Master cylinders
Rusty brake pistons

Some of these have already been mentioned.
Many fixes for these problems both here and on the WinGovations site.
Last edited by Old Fogey on Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Sun May 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Rjabrum wrote:Being a newby on this forum, also on Goldwing GL1100.
In my experience upto now: clotted up carbs (when i bought it was running stationary on 1 cylinder). Was a lot of work/money to invest in an old bike (1982). Replaced the clutch cable.
And coming up is the gearbox that when accelerating doesnt want to switch from 3 to 4. Without any other GW experience i think the gearbox is veeery much NOT refined produces a lot of gearnoise and switching gears is like driving a tractor. (Any ideas?)
Further it think it is not a gasguzzler 1liter to 16,8km's if i drive below 130km/hr.
Seems to me a bulletproof bike if i get this fixed.
Almost forgot to mention that when i bought it it had heel/toe shifter, i removed it and a friend welded a L-shape piece of metal on top of the standard gearshifter so i can leave the floorboards mounted. Is not a real repair but it works well.
Greetz
Richard

You might check out threads on "clunky shifting", or "switching engine oil"....might help.

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:58 am

And let us not forget the infamous GL1500 clock failure!

For what still seems like an unknown reason, the clocks commonly won't keep time. They accelerate the minutes to change about every 15-20 seconds.

Some have said it is humidity attacking the circuit board behind the LCD assembly, but sealing this does not always work.

I just resigned myself to not using the clock and installed a separate clock.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:OK I'm going to stir the pot a bit here.No lies though.The 1800 has had more costly problems than all the other Wing sizes put together.
First and foremost is the cracked frames in the earlier ones and they're still showing up.My buddy has an 04 broken right now that Mother Honda is refusing to help with.
Second is the Alternator Drive Gear failures which requires engine removal and a minimum of $600 worth of parts plus labour.They changed the drive design in 06,but there are some of them showing up failing as well.
Third is the tranny failures(more common than you would think)and once again requires engine removal,trans parts as well as re-ringing the cylinders on one side at least.Approximately a $3 to $4 k repair.

On top of that are the crappy switches that are forever sticking and not working no matter how well you look after it.

Just saying that after owning 6 Wings(one of each size and 2 1200's)that while the 1800 is the most sophisticated,best handling Wing I'm not so sure it's the best bang for your buck.

Dont forget to add final drive failures on the 1800 which are starting to show more and more.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:53 am

So....so far, most everything has been mentioned except the tires (a little humor shouldn't hurt much).
....But,....I can't help but to wonder if, most of what's been mentioned is not "common failures", but rather, symptoms of a old motorcycle (30-40 years old?)that has been abused-abandoned-neglected-left outside in the elements-has mileage on them that....on a title change reads..."exceeds mechanical limits" where the mileage is shown on the new title?
.....So, how would the majority of these failures compare to any other bike of the same age, mileage, maintenance, and or, storage?
I remember in the 70s and 80s, most bikes didn't last to 40,000 miles-I've owned 2 nice looking yamaha 100s that couldn't last to 7000 miles, and the crankshaft would be so loose, that the points couldn't hold timing, and rendered those bikes junk.
Pardon me if I seem to highjack a thread-it just seems a little.....ummm....unfair?...IDK...

This is a edit...
Just thought of something else-these Oldwings have not only outlasted most bikes from that era, but, out-existed the finest cars that money could buy from that era!....(there-I feel better now...)
Last edited by f1xrupr on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasterDaniel904
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:11 am

First, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with funky switches on the handlebars!

For my '96 GL1500 with 130k its a new set of tires every spring, with a new set of brake pads as long as the tires are off. She badly needs new rotors, which is why she eats brake pads, and they've been bad since early on. I'm surprised to have not seen them mentioned.

I'm on my third alternator.

The next big repair will be replacing the timing belts, for the first time, based on warnings I've read here. Had never even thought about them until they were brought up in the monthly letter a few months back.

Nobody's mentioned the rear air shocks. The boot failed early, but I rode it until the seal failed and put in aftermarket. The fork seals lasted 110k, then I put in aftermarket springs. If anybody ever questions the need for Progressive front and rear springs/shocks, write me. The ride and handling is such an improvement!
All seasons. No exceptions.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:36 pm

f1xrupr wrote: I can't help but to wonder if, most of what's been mentioned is not "common failures", but rather, symptoms of a old motorcycle (30-40 years old?)that has been abused-abandoned-neglected-left outside in the elements-has mileage on them that....on a title change reads..."exceeds mechanical limits" where the mileage is shown on the new title?
.....So, how would the majority of these failures compare to any other bike of the same age, mileage, maintenance, and or, storage?

You're right, these are symptoms of a 40 year old motorcycle ( when talking of the 1000 /1100) and it's because of that, that these are common failure points. And most certainly not necessarily because they have been 'abused-abandoned-neglected-left outside', although may be the case with some of them.
It's not denigrating the Goldwing in any way, but almost all the things I have listed keep coming up constantly in the forums or in emails to me, asking advice on how to fix.
I know little about the 1500/1800, so a bit shocked to hear of the frame breakages etc.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Ghostman wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote:OK I'm going to stir the pot a bit here.No lies though.The 1800 has had more costly problems than all the other Wing sizes put together.

Dont forget to add final drive failures on the 1800 which are starting to show more and more.

Didn't forget the diff's,I was just listing the real expensive stuff.Good thing about the diffs is that take-offs are dirt cheap and a quick change out.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Old Fogey wrote:
f1xrupr wrote: I can't help but to wonder if, most of what's been mentioned is not "common failures", but rather, symptoms of a old motorcycle (30-40 years old?)that has been abused-abandoned-neglected-left outside in the elements-has mileage on them that....on a title change reads..."exceeds mechanical limits" where the mileage is shown on the new title?

You're right, these are symptoms of a 40 year old motorcycle ( when talking of the 1000 /1100) and it's because of that, that these are common failure points. And most certainly not necessarily because they have been 'abused-abandoned-neglected-left outside', although may be the case with some of them.
It's not denigrating the Goldwing in any way, but almost all the things I have listed keep coming up constantly in the forums or in emails to me, asking advice on how to fix.
I know little about the 1500/1800, so a bit shocked to hear of the frame breakages etc.

So.....for the rest of my question...gobbs of miles, and, in comparison to other bikes of that era?
Just a thought I guess....most of what's mentioned seems like normal maintenance and upkeep for something that old....pardon me if I seem offensive-I don't mean to be...

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:06 pm

f1xrupr wrote:
Old Fogey wrote:

So.....for the rest of my question...gobbs of miles, and, in comparison to other bikes of that era?
Just a thought I guess....most of what's mentioned seems like normal maintenance and upkeep for something that old....pardon me if I seem offensive-I don't mean to be...

In no way are you offensive! I'm so sorry if I gave you cause to think that. :oops:

"on a title change reads..."exceeds mechanical limits" . We don't have anything like that over here. Even the mileage is not obligatory on the registration for a new owner.
I can't think of any other bike designed in the early 70s that can match the GL1000 for the way it just keeps going. Of course, any bike being used will need the normal regular maintenance but the point of Admin's thread was to list what is failing now. Not through design faults necessarily, if I'm not mistaken, but through using the bikes as intended and of course component old age will be a major factor in those failures.
Image Image

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:36 pm

I have a 1999 1500SE. New out of the crate in 1999. Now with 142,000 miles. Most aggravating problems were annual replacement of the running light bulbs and semi annual of the head light bulbs.
Maintaince issues since new
1-alternator
Semi annual brake pads
4 year brake caliper rebuild and flush brake fluids - front and rear
2- universal joints
6- sets of tires
1-water pump
1-set timing belts - almost due again
Engine heat shield falling apart
Just replaced the final drive and drive flange
Replaced both harnesses for the cruise control and turn signals
What mother Honda can not make something besides the engine last forever? LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sweet ride no matter her issues

When I posted these various items in a earlier post, I was listing required replacement schedule for a machine that gets as much use as the weather in the land of Lincoln will allow (I don't take the bike out once there's salt on the roads). 25,000 is about my 2 seasons of riding. While having the tires mounted I examine the bearings and replace brake pads. Normally I could go longer but why risk ruining a rotor. The final drive and flange damage was caused by my ignorance of the importance of Molly 60. I thought grease was grease, wrong. My gw is only a baby compaired to many of your gw. I have owned early 60's Yamaha, ww11 bsa m21, several bsa and a Suzuki. None of them ever could hold a candle to a gw. Time for me to get off my soap box and salute those of you that not only keep the old gw moving down the road but for everyone's williness to share repair knowledge and personal experiences for old bike symptoms and probable causes. :D :D

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=27843#ixzz3bsJYVlm2

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Although I've had no major issues with my 1800 there are a few little things that approach failures for this beast. The ground points are obviously the pits, painted and hard the one beneath the tank is uselessly difficult to get to. Ground points impact so much once they are fouled up. The radio's microphonics inthe intercom pre-amp circuit should have been addressed by its designers. The ADV I like, but why not just beef up the fork springs a touch and get rid of it. The knee room behind the fairing is lacking (granted I'm 6' with long legs), maybe a inch and a half would be just roomy enough. While I'm whining the squared of edge on the fairing's trailing edge should be an inch narrower and contoured a bit so you don't cripple your knees straddling the fairing to use highway pegs. I think a simple means to adjust the handlebars fore or aft would be great for many of us. Granted none of these would have stopped my purchase but if everything is mechanically enduring then comfort comes into consideration. Oh and the real crippling issue for me are the plastic hinge pins in the passenger glove boxes, another break and I'm selling my wing! LOL

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “Reference Information”