Top Tier Gas Stations

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Top Tier Gas Stations

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Have you ever heard of Top Tier gas stations?

Since 1995, all gas in the US is required by law to contain a minimum quantity of deposit control additives to help keep engine components clean, resulting in lower emissions, improved fuel economy and better power in the vehicle.

But in 2004, as engines had already evolved significantly, six automakers (GM, BMW, Toyota, Honda, VW, and Audi) began to recommend higher levels of additive. They felt the current EPA minimum deposit control requirements did not ensure optimal engine performance, especially given their ever-advancing engine designs. These automakers came up with a new standard for gasoline with greater deposit control performance. This higher quality gasoline standard is known as TOP TIER.

Our motorcycles, with the microscopic jets in the carburetors and sensitive, small injectors - much smaller than found in automotive applications, plus the fact that on the whole, motorcycles tend to sit without running for longer periods of time than cars, means that the quality of gasoline we put in them is of the utmost importance.

So which stations are designated as Top Tier gas? Here's a list:

USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Chevron
Conoco
Costco Wholesale
CountryMark
Diamond Shamrock
Entec Stations
Express Convenience Centers
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
QuikTrip
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell
Sinclair
Suncor Energy Inc
SuperAmerica
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Valero

Canada
Chevron Canada
CO-OP
Costco Wholesale
Esso
Petro-Canada
Shell Canada
Tempo

Puerto Rico
Puma Energy Caribe, LLC
Shell

Ol' Man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A/MotorTrike Conversion

Re: Top Tier Gas Stations

Postby Ol' Man » Sat May 30, 2015 8:24 pm

What??? no Casey's? They're pretty prolific in my area.
Today is the oldest you've ever been,
yet the youngest you'll ever be,
so enjoy this day while it lasts.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info. First I ever heard of Top Tier gas. Guess I should follow the news better!
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:26 pm

WOW, that list has really grown, when it first came out it was just the real big guys: Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, SHell and I think a couple others. But it has always been the more expensive places to buy gas except for the addition of Costco.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

quarefish
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000 Goldwing, 1951 James Cadet

Postby quarefish » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:19 am

Cannot see how Co-op is on this list as very high in ethanol up in Canada. Did the people who did the rating also take into consideration for all these petrol sellers that they add a winter additive ( which bikes do not like ) that in some areas is not stopped until May.

Uncle Werner
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade Parts bike for 1985 Interstate

Postby Uncle Werner » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:27 am

There is talk in your articles of ethanol not being good for 1200's. In your Top Tier Canada list you have PetroCan which list on their pumps that up to 10% ethanol, any words of wisdom would be good right now. Or are you just talking about good additives, vs putting up with ethanol.

harvey01

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 am

10% Ethanol is common with all gasolines and I know that several of the top Tier retailers on that list sell gas with up to 10% Ethanol to include Exxon/Mobile, Shell, Costco, and Valero just to name a few that I have dealt with recently.

Ethanol is not the only thing considered in determining a gas meets the Top Tier rating.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:53 am

It is quite difficult to find gasoline sold in the US anymore that does NOT contain 10% ethanol.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Quicktrip stores out here in OK have been top tier since 2005. Quicktrips are located in ga,az,ok,sc,ks,mo,ia,tx and some more. Check out there website. Some of the stores are handling no ethanol gas and these are usually right off the main roads and interstates. Also puregas.com will help you find stations.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

phochief
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby phochief » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:05 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It is quite difficult to find gasoline sold in the US anymore that does NOT contain 10% ethanol.

I use an app called Pure Gas that will show you where stations are that still have gas without ethanol. Or, go to pure-gas.org. Very handy.

David

T=Trouble
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Postby T=Trouble » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:31 pm

I generally am good about filling up at a Top Tier gas station, but have a question. When I had my HD I was told to put only 91 octane or higher in it. When I got my Goldwing, hubby said that it does not make a difference in Goldwings. Seems to me that higher octane would be better for it as well. Thoughts?
Trouble

When God made the first biker he mixed the following ingredients:
Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:35 pm

T=Trouble wrote:I generally am good about filling up at a Top Tier gas station, but have a question. When I had my HD I was told to put only 91 octane or higher in it. When I got my Goldwing, hubby said that it does not make a difference in Goldwings. Seems to me that higher octane would be better for it as well. Thoughts?

When an engine is designed to run on 87 octane (as is the Goldwing engine), despite what the oil company marketing divisions would like you to think, the only thing putting higher octane fuel in does is drain your wallet faster. The bike won't run any different at all, in fact it will get slightly lower mileage, because the energy in higher octane fuel is slightly less than what is in lower octane fuel (contrary to what the marketing would have you believe).

Now if your engine is designed to require high octane fuel, and you put a lower octane fuel in it, the engine computer will retard timing to prevent detonation, and the engine will produce less power. In this case, putting the higher octane fuel in will actually allow the engine computer to return the engine to full power output, so yes, it would increase power. But for engines designed for 87 octane fuel, higher octane fuel is a waste of money.

T=Trouble
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Postby T=Trouble » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
T=Trouble wrote:I generally am good about filling up at a Top Tier gas station, but have a question. When I had my HD I was told to put only 91 octane or higher in it. When I got my Goldwing, hubby said that it does not make a difference in Goldwings. Seems to me that higher octane would be better for it as well. Thoughts?

When an engine is designed to run on 87 octane (as is the Goldwing engine), despite what the oil company marketing divisions would like you to think, the only thing putting higher octane fuel in does is drain your wallet faster. The bike won't run any different at all, in fact it will get slightly lower mileage, because the energy in higher octane fuel is slightly less than what is in lower octane fuel (contrary to what the marketing would have you believe).

Now if your engine is designed to require high octane fuel, and you put a lower octane fuel in it, the engine computer will retard timing to prevent detonation, and the engine will produce less power. In this case, putting the higher octane fuel in will actually allow the engine computer to return the engine to full power output, so yes, it would increase power. But for engines designed for 87 octane fuel, higher octane fuel is a waste of money.

My hubby is going to love telling me "told you so", but that's okay. :lol: Thanks though because I do appreciate the assurance because I try to take excellent care of my bike.
Trouble

When God made the first biker he mixed the following ingredients:
Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I,1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N

Postby bikommuter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Just to clarify. I've used Pure-gas.org. If you go to a station that advertises "no-alcohol" gas and it only has single hose blender pumps, you're not getting "no-alcohol" gas. At least not for the first gallon or so. You're getting whatever the last person at that pump got. :o So if you pump 3 or 4 gallons, the first might be Super, or regular with alcohol, or whatever. In some places, I understand that E-15 is available at the same blender pumps. BAD. :evil: In my area, "no-alcohol" is usually priced 10 to 50 cents a gallon more than Super. So, I buy plain old 87 regular with alcohol but I also dose the tank at every fill-up with Star-tron. It's readily available at most NAPA stores and quite a few others. It is an enzyme that helps the alcohol molecules attach to the gasoline molecules so they won't settle out to the bottom of the tank and go to the carbs or injectors as pure alcohol. It also helps to suspend water so that you are never burning pure alcohol or alcohol with water. It does help to slow down the bad effects of alcohol, and it's fairly cheap to use if you measure properly. :) No, I don't work for Star-tron, or Starbrite, or Balkamp inc. I'm just another bike rider like you. I've been using it regularly for over 2 years and IMHO it really works. :D

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Top Tier and octane rating and ethanol content have NOTHING to do with one another. In my area, Kwik Star/Kwik Trip has 87 octane NO ALCOHOL gas, 87 octane 10% alky and some have 91 octane non alky gas. All are Top Tier, which refers ONLY to the additive package which usually means they have high detergent properties.

Myself, I pay the extra 25 cents a gallon to get non alcohol gas for my truck, both cars, both motorcycles, lawnmower, snowblower and chainsaw. In other words, I may be surrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres of corn, but I don't want that crap in my gasoline.

quarefish

Postby quarefish » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:49 pm

When we were saying high ethanol content we were meaning 15%. Some of us believe using premium fuel ( 91 ) instead of regular ( 87 ) is not so much for better milage but rather to help keep those carbs cleaner as less contaminants in it. Ourself would rather pay a bit more for better fuel than spend on carb rebuilds.

Sask_Aspencade
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold 2014)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Sask_Aspencade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 pm

By coincidence, a friend of mine brought a friend of his to our work place to show him around. This guy has been working for the Co-op oil/gas refinery in Regina (Saskatchewan) for the past 30 years. It is a large refinery which refines oil from all over the area, including stuff brought up from Montana/North Dakota. BTW, CO-op sells gas to all sorts of different major brands, and in turn buys from brands in areas far away from Regina. Example... Regina Co-op would sell gas to Esso in Regina, and in turn buy gas from Esso's refinery in Edmonton to sell under their name there. All to say, what's in a name nowadays.

Anyway, I asked him specifically about ethanol in Canadian gas. He said all their gas (and he thought the same of other refineries) puts NO ethanol in Premium grade gas. I said some stations display "May contain up to 10% ethanol". He replied they only put that on the pump to cover their arse, because trace amounts may pop in for things like refuelling from a pump where someone just used Regular.

I hope he's correct. So I still use Premium to avoid ethanol. I have used Regular before, and never noticed a fuel economy change, but I do avoid it whenever I can.

I filled up from Shell (V Power Premium) last fall when I put the bike away, added fuel stabilizer and made sure I ran it a few kms to where I stored the bike. It sat for 6 months. It started fine. Ran it 200 km and refilled the tank just now with fresh gas. No problems that I'm aware of.
// 1982 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade GL1100A //
// 1982 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade GL1100A //
// Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan //

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:05 am

When using Pure Gas to find non-ethanol (around here) I only have to drive about 80 miles to get it...not much sense there, I use the Top Tier regular and Star-tron, seems to work for me.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

quarefish

Postby quarefish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Lucky Yanks, for as far as we know up here in Canada all regular petrol has ethanol in it, just the quantity in it varies by petrol stations and the crop used to produce. Here in Ontario have never seen non ethanol regular petrol. It was mandated up here to reduce the dependance on foreign oil and keep the farmers happy.

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i interstate

Postby bruce swaybill » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:12 pm

I was surprised to see SUNOCO was not on the list! What's up with that? :?: :shock: :?: :? :?:
Have a nice day! :)

phochief
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby phochief » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Fortunately for me, there are five gas stations within 15 miles that have a designated "No Ethanol" pump available. They're not blender pumps. The non-ethanol is priced a little higher than Regular, but I feel better knowing my Wing isn't running on corn. :)

FDReik
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby FDReik » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:54 pm

FYI All - the GasBuddy app identifies so-called Top Tier Stations.

Jump Wings
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby Jump Wings » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 pm

My 88' GL1500 does not like 87 octane. After the second fill up it started knocking. I downloaded the owner's manual and it indicates 91 octane. It took two more fill ups to get rid of the knock.
The Shell down the street does not put ethanol in the 91 octane but the extra cost is appreciable. BP has 93 octane for the same cost but, has ethanol.

Are there any 88' GL1500 owners that run regular?

I only had one car that knocked on regular. It was a 71 Plymouth Fury with a 383 cu. in. I but a half tank of premium in every third fill up to keep it running quite.
Mike

82nd Abn. Div. 67 - 69 Ft. Bragg, N.C.
173rd Abn. Brg. 69 - 70 Vietnam

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am

Jump Wings wrote:My 88' GL1500 does not like 87 octane. After the second fill up it started knocking. I downloaded the owner's manual and it indicates 91 octane. It took two more fill ups to get rid of the knock.
The Shell down the street does not put ethanol in the 91 octane but the extra cost is appreciable. BP has 93 octane for the same cost but, has ethanol.

Are there any 88' GL1500 owners that run regular?

Interesting...I had a look, and the 88 and 89 owner's manuals definitely recommend 91 octane or higher. My 2000 owner's manual specifies 86 octane or higher.

I don't have GL1500 owners manuals for any other years - so GL1500 owners, what octane does your manual recommend? I wonder at what model year it changed back from 91 to 86?

harvey01

Postby harvey01 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:48 pm

For anyone who wants to learn more about Top Tier Gas, try this website: http://www.toptiergas.com/

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “Reference Information”