GAS CAP FACTS

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

GAS CAP FACTS

Postby indianakid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:56 pm

OK...... There has been a lot of discussions on gas caps. I don't want to get into what others have do to them. I just want to cover what they are. They are a very well designed and manufactured part and is very reliable. The cap maintains positive and negative (vacuum) pressure in the tank. The cap will relive pressure at about 2psi which is fuel pump pressure. This pressure relief valve portion consists of a spring and the tabs that hold the cap on the tank along with the seal. You can feel the spring force and seal every time you remove and install the gas cap. The vacuum relief portion is inside the cap and is a simple spring and seal relief valve that will not allow the vacuum to get greater than 2 inhg. The cap is easily disassembled for inspection. Please see attached for additional information.
Attachments

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: GAS CAP FACTS

Postby indianakid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:57 pm

3 more slide that didnt fit in the original post.
Attachments

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:10 am

Vary nice post!....nice pictures!....should clear up lots of concerns and questions.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

gwbldad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby gwbldad » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:53 am

Great post! Who would have thought a gas cap was such a highly designed component? After reading this thread, I will never take my gas cap for granted again!

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Easier to see why years of gumming up can keep it from working correctly.

Very "full" write up. Thanks for sharing.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Nice job on the post, thank you !

I noticed your cap in the pictures does not have a "bleeder nipple" (?) on it like my GL1500 cap does, does that make any difference when taking apart, cleaning, and reassembly ?

Thanks again !

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “Reference Information”