It's Deer Season!

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
  • Sponsored Links
hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Re: It's Deer Season!

Post by hugger-4641 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:45 am

offcenter wrote:
hap2 wrote:Don't those deer whistles work?
My Goldwing came to me with some sort of electronic deer whistle mounted to the front of the fairing.
When I turn it on, I can barely hear it, if at all. But other people I know DO hear it. I know that my wife does.
Recently I was following my buddy on his noisy Harley FXR and had the thing turned on.
At a stop sign, he turned around and yelled at me, "Turn that damned thing off!"
He was hearing it on the road over the racket of the Harley!

I don't know if it works on deer, but it sure annoys Harley riders!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd sure like to know what brand and model they are so I can get some!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:16 am

hugger-4641 wrote:
offcenter wrote: ...At a stop sign, he turned around and yelled at me, "Turn that damned thing off!"
He was hearing it on the road over the racket of the Harley!
I don't know if it works on deer, but it sure annoys Harley riders!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd sure like to know what brand and model they are so I can get some!
OK-ok, I'm getting interested also. :twisted:
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Ask and you shall receive.....
Here ya go...
http://www.xp3hornet.com/
I don't know what it costs, since it was on the bike when I got it.
It's mounted under the front of the fairing, facing straight forward,
and wired to a switch on the dash so it can be turned off.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 pm

offcenter wrote:Ask and you shall receive.....
Here ya go...
http://www.xp3hornet.com/
Looks a little like a dog whistle.
I'm sure it's set at a different pitch... a pitch a Harley rider can still hear.. .. .. quite well.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:02 am

Another danger of deer on the roads that happened to me on Friday night - something I didn't originally think about when I wrote this - is from OTHER DRIVERS.

I was driving home on a rural road, just after midnight, on Friday night. I had some idiot tailgating me, alternating between close and REALLY close. I strongly dislike this, so I pulled over into a driveway to let him pass. Once he had gone, I pulled back onto the road.

30 seconds later, a huge buck jumped out into the road right in front of me. I stomped my brakes (driving, not riding, remember), felt the ABS actuate, and watched the buck do a U-turn in my headlights, heading for the shoulder. I was maybe 6 feet from him at the closest point.

Had I not pulled over and let that idiot pass me just before, he would have most certainly rammed right into the back of me. This would have messed up my car. What would have happened if this had happened on my bike?

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Scenario you had was similar when in CO this year. It was early morning on 2 lane rural highway. Idiot in Cherokee, too close. Was thinking could be deer out here. Slowed from posted to 10 under, which caused tailgater to back off some, then caught motion on right side of road, deer, slowed more which caused tailgater to pass, just as the forest rat leapt onto the road, now I'm all brakes, as the tailgater flies past and somehow neither rat or gater collided, I was amazed. I thought I'd be riding through carnage, I guess someone is looking after us!
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:38 pm

julimike54 wrote:Scenario you had was similar when in CO this year. It was early morning on 2 lane rural highway. Idiot in Cherokee, too close. Was thinking could be deer out here. Slowed from posted to 10 under, which caused tailgater to back off some, then caught motion on right side of road, deer, slowed more which caused tailgater to pass, just as the forest rat leapt onto the road, now I'm all brakes, as the tailgater flies past and somehow neither rat or gater collided, I was amazed. I thought I'd be riding through carnage, I guess someone is looking after us!
DARN! I was hoping for a happy ending. :twisted:

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Funny timing for this thread. I got called into work about 12am Saturday and got hit by deer in my car. I was on rural 3 lane, two lanes going my direction, one oncoming lane. I saw group of deer standing in the outside lane and managed to get stopped just even with them. Approaching cars spooked them and one turned around and jumped right into my fender. I guess it was good for the oncoming cars because if it hadn't hit me it would have jumped right in front of them and they were not slowing down quick enough. Also good that I was in car and not on my wing, but still, brand new Civic Si headed for body shop. :x :x :x

musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Post by musinger » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:37 am

I too have hit two deer the ass end of one and the front of one, I went between them lucky me. That was some years ago since that time I have installed animal whistles on the front of my wing since installing them I have seen many animals run back into the trees, I still keep a keen eye out for them but I believe they work and you can purchase them at any auto parts store I installed them on the front fender.

Winston's Chiefs
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Post by Winston's Chiefs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 am

I live in the BC interior in the okanogan valley (wine country). We have a great deal of wildlife in the valley and mountains adjacent and have to be constantly be vigilant for deer, elk, moose, bears and of course all other kinds of animals from free ranging cows and horses to dogs etc... and in my 30 + years of riding have had a few close calls but have hit two in my truck. Both times at dusk/night and they both darted in front of me unexpectedly and punted them across the roadway with my truck.
The first one was standing two lanes across and I had seen her and did not think she was any threat, that was until I got close and since she was pointed towards my side of the hiway she bolted directly in front and was killed.
Second one came darting out in front a mile from the first ones area, this one had zero chance as she came flying out of the bush beside the road and I did not even have time to react, both were in the fall during rut time for the males.

After these incidents with the deer in my truck I actually changed my riding habits on my bikes a bit to allow for animals by :
#1 slowing down,
2- don't overdrive lights
3- always travel in lane farthest from shoulder
4- always assume the deer or other animal you see is going to run out in front of you and react accordingly especially if the animal is pointed in a direction that could jeopardize your safety. They don't back up they always go forward first, then might go zig zag or just continue running straight.

I had to change my habits to adapt to my new riding area as I was a flatlander prairie rider before we moved out here 6 years ago. I also ride year round here as our winters in the valley are mild enough to ride year round most days if you don't mind a little bit of cold and rain some days. We can't venture out of the valley too often during winter due to the snow but are able to enjoy riding year round.

Knock on wood that I have not had a deer/bike incident yet and hopefully never do.
Once again biggest thing is to slow down at dusk/night so you have time to see and react. Ride safe everyone.

musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Post by musinger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Very good tips thanks

japcrap
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000 cafe racer naked

Post by japcrap » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 pm

All good information. Here in rural Nova Scotia we have deep ditches on the sides of the road and deer spring up out of them with no warning whatsoever. Hit one in the wifes BMW. One mistake in the information is the opening post claiming that in a car swerving to miss a deer is recomended. This is NOT true. More people die be swerving to miss a deer and hit a tree or oncoming traffic. I understand this thinking with a bike but in a car or truck just brake heavily and hope for the best.You should survive a deer collision but a trees another story. Insurance wont pay for damages here if you swerve and hit a tree, but a deer impact is covered. When I think of deer in the hiway I start thing my naked goldwing would be better with a fairing ;)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm

japcrap wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 pm
All good information. .... Insurance wont pay for damages here if you swerve and hit a tree, but a deer impact is covered. When I think of deer in the hiway I start thing my naked goldwing would be better with a fairing ;)
OR maybe an oversized CowCatcher? :shock:

japcrap
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000 cafe racer naked

Post by japcrap » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:51 am

FM-USA wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm
japcrap wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 pm
All good information. .... Insurance wont pay for damages here if you swerve and hit a tree, but a deer impact is covered. When I think of deer in the hiway I start thing my naked goldwing would be better with a fairing ;)
OR maybe an oversized CowCatcher? :shock:
LOL Bingo :D