Saturday Ride

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Saturday Ride

Postby Mag » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:42 pm

I knew I should not have gone, but I had to....
- Wife was supposed to drive to coast to deliver some of her product to retailers (she does stained glass items).
- Wife woke up with a bad migraine headache, so I offered my services to transport product to the stores. Of course, I would take my bike, first voyage of 2012. Only a 180 mile round trip, but the bike needed it.
- My 88 is new to me, just bought it last summer, $5k, 43k miles, looked in good condition (of course) but I knew I would be doing some work on it.
- I left this a.m., and thought "I need one of those cassette adapters to plug to my phone to listen to music"......I could not get the cassette door open. I knew it opened when I took the stereo out to paint the center console. But it would not open now......ok, so no GOOD tunes. I will listen to the radio.
- Bike ran great for the first 70 miles. Listened to 107 ROCKET, good classic rock. I did a stop, Mother Nature called and I answered, and then I walked back to the bike. Decided to play with it a little....pressed the emergency flash button just to make sure it worked....it sure did. Button stayed in, but would not come back out. So I had permanent emergency flashers, not good.
- A "cage" parked next to me, he had plyers and a flat head screw driver. My first bad, I knew I did not have tools for the bike, see another post on "GoldwingDocs", seems to be a common occurance with used bikes. I was able to remove the button (found the plastic busted inside the housing of the left handle instrument cluster). Emergency flashers still going, this will not do, lol. So I dug around, found the plastic separator that makes the flashers worked, yanked that out (realize the button itself was broken, so what the hell) and viola, the emergency flashers stopped. So did the turn signals, ARGH!!!
- Ok, so no turn signals. I could go back to my old way of riding, hand signals, only had 20 miles to my destination, so what the hell. Bike ran good all the way out. Though as I left the rest stop, along with the turn signals not working, now the stereo wasnot working. Wonder if there was some connection here that I really screwed up. So, along with "manual turn signals" I would deal with the tunes of the wind past my helmet.
- As I drove down the highway, noticed my hand tingling. I just installed Kury Grips and a Crampbuster (works great), but wanted to put on the cruise control (realize this is on the right side of the handlebar). Cruise would go on but would not set. DAMN!!! NO CRUISE!!!!
- Got to my first destination, delivered first package of product. Temp drops, and it starts to rain a little. Hmmm, what next? I left for my second destination.....10 miles away.
- Arrived at my second destination.....all is good, and there were choco-chip cookies, so that helped the bad karma I was collecting. After dropping off product, and then hopping back on the bike, found that the rubber cover for the shifter peg was missing, I was shifting on metal. Hmmmm. Something else to replace.
- Drove the last 90 miles, no cruise, no tunes, no rubber shifter, no turn signals. Sun came out, and the bike hummed along as it would.

Gotta say, even with things not working, it was still a great ride. I was out for 7 hours today, 190 miles, stopping along the way, all nice all in all.

All buttons on left and right side are sticking, gotta feeling the WD40 trick will not work, especially since emergency flasher button is busted. So....need to go shopping for left and right control clusters and shifter peg. Hope they are easy to install for this non-mechanic (I have been learning a lot, so gonna do with this). Still, a great day of riding.....and I waived at every 2-wheeler out there. Needless to say, they did not all waive back. That ok, I still enjoyed the ride. ;)

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Re: Saturday Ride

Postby crock4 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Great story. You handled it well. Got a little list going on for the down time too.
I had planned to ride on Saturday also. Thought it all out at work on Friday. Planned route, had bike all ready to go. Called home on the way in Friday. My wife says refrigerator making funny noises, and leaking water from ice maker. Found out it was a defective water valve. Chinese model sealed unit, no fixie, throw away buy new one. By the time I got everything fixed, and back together too late, and hot to ride... bummer. :( :( Next week for sure!!!!
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Saturday Ride

Postby Mag » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Unfortunately "down time" does not count when I am coming in to the NW Spring Tour. So, I have to order the parts quickly so I can run on the road again. Nothing but plug ins, looks like I can handle this one, and it allows a coupla other things to add to the bike, lol.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”