My turn for a trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

My turn for a trip

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 am

I leave Sunday for a couple thousand miles of tripping. I am going to take what is known as the Northern Route from my home (North Bay, Ontario) to Nipigon, and then down the eastern shore of Lake Superior, on into the U.S. and over the Mackinac Bridge to Flint, to cross over into Canada at Sarnia/Port Huron and through the back country to home. Be a couple of weeks only, but that is all the wife has for vacation time. It will be nowhere near as impressive as Todd's trip, but I did the big mileage last year. It is just too friggin hot this year. (Nah, not really) I did go around Lake Huron this year, in Late April/Early May.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: My turn for a trip

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Safe journey to you, I wish you smooth sailing and good weather. Keep us posted when you can. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

chiritc
Motorcycle: 1984 Shadow VT700C

Postby chiritc » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Share us some pictures

8-)

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm

I have the greatest cameras, but I seldom take any pictures. It seems to be a mental block in my makeup. I ride, and get all caught up in the Zen of riding and I forget. I will try harder this trip, :roll:

ImageImage

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:38 am

Have a safe trip......Watch for all the crazies out there.

Oh BTW....you know what they say...."No Pictures....it did not happen !! "

Ride Safe Always!!!!
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Have a safe trip, and enjoy! The pics I posted when I was at Laconia I took with my tablet so I could update you all from the campsite. I had a camera too, but those had to wait till I got home to my laptop. Take shots with your phone if that'sgot a camera. You should be able to post with that as well. But most of all, just enjoy the trip!! :D

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

We rode up to Iroquois Falls the first day, and spent a couple of days riding around to Timmins and Cochrane, from our base came at Nellie Lake. Then today we rode only as far as Hearst. Nothing here so we are staying in a motel tonight. We are taking our time so we can look around at all the things and places we have never seen, having not travelled this way before.

This is coming into New Liskeard - lighting was great for a pic

The campground entrance at Nellie Lake

This ain't yer average Paul Bunyon -- in fact this is Pierre from de Nort Woods der.

Iroquois Falls has Timmies, but then, who doesn't

The Mill in Kapuskasing is still operating, just barely

And nothing in Hearst but this motel where we are staying to get internet access

More at a later date. When I have internet access.

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow is that your wife on the bike man, she's pretty man.. She also looks very happy, it sounds like your guy's are really enjoying your trip.. That's a good thing,, I love the photo's... :D

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 am

littlebeaver wrote:Wow is that your wife on the bike man, she's pretty man.. She also looks very happy, it sounds like your guy's are really enjoying your trip.. That's a good thing,, I love the photo's... :D

Calm down Beaver!... You should be looking at " Pierre " not the wife :lol: I guess you need a trip too. :roll:
But I must say, I liked the pictures too.Great to see a lot of folks are out and enjoying the country side. :D

WA9FWT Phil

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:33 am

Hey beav, how could you tell with the helmet on her. I try to keep her all covered up or I need to beat off the crowds of male admirerers... :lol:

Anyway, this leg of the trip got us from Hearst to a small place called Schreiber on the north end of Lake Superior. They used to hoof cargo up a long steep hill from the Lake to the town, as everything had to arrive by ship. The town was built in something like 1840. We passed by Beardsmore Mines while getting here. It was a huge gold mining town, but all that is left is what the pic shows.

All that is left of Beardsmore Mines

Our first view of Lake Superior from Nipigon, Ontario

The folks of Schreiber used to hoof all their cargo up this trail as everything came in by lake

A person could almost surf on these waves and they are small today

More Later

ImageImage

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 am

Finishing up the Canadian leg of the trip with Wawa, which is an Indian word meaning goose, therefore their symbol at the entrance to the town is a big goose which can be seen in the background behind the bike and trailer.

Big Goose at Wawa, Ontario - we are heading for Sault Ste Marie and the U.S. Border

We are crossing the Sault Locks Bridge here, soon to be in Michigan. The backup was horrendous. Took us over 45 minutes to cross this bridge, so we have lots of pictures, but I won't put them all up here, :lol:

We just crossed the Mackinac Bridge (pronounced Mackinaw) and have a pic taken from the campground just south of Mackinaw City

And we have set up camp in the Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, which although it has over 600 campsites, some of them are reasonably private, :lol:

And on to Bay City tomorrow (figuratively, as I am already home, Hawwwww)

ImageImage

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 am

Well, my bad... the only pics that got taken in Bay City were of the Christmas in July parade, where all the kids decorated their bikes and all the old foggies decorated their huge trailers and motorhomes, and I did not see where the interest would be in this forum, so, after three days of shopping and loading up on stuff from all points around Bay City, Michigan, we are off again. I revised our route to give us some scenery instead of interstate highway, and we went the way of the red line, woe be to us.

New Route from Bay City to Port Huron, goes beside Lake Huron.

Lots of things to see in Port Austin, like the sign, :roll:

I thought this was a quaint sounding name, so we rode a brand newly resurfaced road around the loop to Grindstone City. They have a really nice marina (I am partial to marinas and sailboats)

Here is the Point aux Barque lighthouse

And the entrance to Port Hope, just seven miles from our "troubles"

And I will get to that next

ImageImage

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:55 am

It was a nice ride to Harbour Beach from Bay City, and I forgot to take any pictures while enroute, but in some places the highway was very rough. While setting up camp in the North Park campground, in Harbour Beach, on Monday around noon, my wife noticed that my hitch was tilted off kilter on the bike. Sure enough, I had a broken hitch mount bracket. Ordering one from Harbour Beach turned out to be a challenge, and the only place that would do so was an RV/Diesel truck mod business, and it took him three days to get it, so we were here till Thursday Morning. We went to all the previous places I did not take pics, and got some. We also went to a town called Bad Axe, and did not find out why it was called Bad Axe. It, however is the only place with decent shopping in the entire "Thumb" of Michigan. Anyway, here we are in Harbour Beach.

Inset pics are of the Harbour Beach Marina which is the largest MAN MADE harbour in the world, according to their claims.

And that about did it for remembering to take pictures. We got near Port Huron on Thursday, in blinding thunderstorms and stopped in a Walmart to wait out some of the downpoar. Then when it slowed down to a drizzle, we left again, to be detoured over about 25 miles to finally get to the Blue Water bridge to Canada. We kept going till we decided to stop in Shelburne, Ontario for a late lunch, and then camped for the final night in Aliston Ontario at a Provincial Park full of children - oh joy.

And Friday, yesterday, we made the run for home in the nicest riding weather we had for most of the trip. About 75 F and blue skies.

Thus ends my trip, and I still have a wife, so I guess I didn't do too bad.............. :evil:

Oh - total trip mileage was just over 4,000 kms or 2,500 miles.

ImageImage

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am

Great pic's! Looked like a really nice ride. Thanx for sharing your vacation with us :D

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”