Cross Country Cruise

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
seagreen13
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Interstate

Cross Country Cruise

Postby seagreen13 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:31 am

Hello All,

I am slightly new to this site and a new Gold Wing Rider. I own a 1985 Honda Shadow VT1100 and just recently bought a 1983 Honda Gold Wing Interstate. I must say that if it wasn't for this site, repairing and performing preventative maintenance prior to the trip would be cumbersome. I am utterly grateful for the knowledge shared and DIY'S section are superbly done. My bike upon purchase, was running rough and just needed some TLC. Being that it has only 22,000 miles on it, there was much to do. From a simple fuel filter change to valve adjustments, Seagreen is almost there.

However, before I depart on my trip I would like to ask for some rider tips or "must see's". I'm leaving from Pittsburgh, PA and heading westward until I reach the Pacific. I've worked the past ten months trying to save for the trip and hopefully I can manage to be on the road until October. Along the way I will be visiting potential universities to pursue my Masters degree in Ceramics/Sculpture. But along the way for most of the time it will just be me and my wing, camping under the stars. The journey is to explore our country, understand a bit more of who I am, and what it is I am doing on this Earth. ;) There are only a few things I do know: I love making art, riding motorcycles, and living with less than more.

Well anyways, feel free to post whatever suggestion, tip, advice, or what have you on here. I will be tentatively leaving in the first week of August 2012.

Ride safe.

Derek

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Cross Country Cruise

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:18 am

I always thought driving through the mountains in and around Denver was a spectacular trip, with incredible scenery. I also LOVED the Utah deserts, it reminded me of Road Runner cartoons.

furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Postby furnacedoc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Seagreen13, Keep us posted on your ride and where abouts ,if you are close to northern Indiana we have alot of corn fields and mostly flat lands,altho this summer has been extremly dry and Very hot. hope to see you on the road.

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Less is always more......except to many of our Goldwings :D .
Have a wonderful trip......just follow your guardian angel and be safe!!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Make sure you pack a roll of TP in a ziplock bag. Bic lighters instead of matches,a leather man tool on your belt. Enjoy the ride, there are few pleasures in the world better than the open road. Keep us posted ,we like pictures too. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 am

All of the Western states are a must to ride. You cant go wrong no matter where you ride. If you happen to go through Yellowstone be sure to enter from the Northeast. The Beartooth Pass Is (as advertised) by far the most beautiful ride in the USA. Spectacular scenery. We just returned from Western Montana and the only thing I missed was the snow. Even in Glacier Natl. Park it was almost all melted. Changes the perspective of the scenery.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:30 pm

If and when you get to Utah, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park are both a must see. If you go to the Grand Canyon, the North side is better than the south, you can then leave the Grand Canyon and take hwy89 across to Utah for places mentioned above. As mentioned previously, most of the western states have lots to see. If you hit the Pacific up north you can always get on the pacific coast hwy and ride it all the way to SDiego...now that is a great ride. Could get a little wet in Wash and Org though. Have a great trip and camp in safe places if possible....Good idea to avoid wacko's and 18 wheelers, both can cause headaches.

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Everyone,

Your kind words and thoughtfulness are much appreciated. Please keep the suggestions rolling!!! I'm getting pumped!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I really like the Rockies, and there are some very good rides and roads starting in Colorado. But before you get there, you might have a look at South Dakota, and go to Mt Rushmore, and the Crazy Horse carving, and then carry on southwards to Colorado. The road to King'sCanyon is interesting, and the walk across the bridge is nearly as good as driving over. The planks on the bridge rattle a lot, and you can feel the bridge 'rippling', just to keep your blood pressure at the right levels.

The one I really like goes from Silverado Durango and some interesting places in between. I have even been to Purgatory and Hell, but couldnt pick the difference (both in AZ, I think).

Up in the NW of USA, the scenery is really good, the views are spectacular, and the puffs of steam as another pile of snow/ice falls into the volcano is very interesting.

Enjoy the views and scenery, enjoy the rides, and enjoy your GW - but, whatever you do, enjoy yourself.

Of course, if you went to the University in Colorado, you could do some interesting rides whenever you need a break.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Well I've been stuck here attempting to get bike in order. Much more than I had thought. A few weeks behind due to continually having to await on parts. Nevertheless, there is light at the ENd of this tunnel. All I need to sort is a hard knocking when opening bike up into first gear. As well as why my front brake lever cannot build pressure.

The knocking arises when the clutch is released with not enough rpm's or throttle. It rattles the bikes front fairing, intensifying the sound. The bike has barely 23,000 miles on it. I have adjusted the valves, timing belt replacement, carb sync, plug, oil, final drive oil, air filter...now my only guess is the small chain located just past my transmission needs tightened/replaced. Unsure.

As far as the front brake. Replaced all seals in calipers as well as cleaned the entire calipers, lubed all necessary parts, new lines, new brakes. Foot brake lever which actuates the rear and front right caliper work like a champ, but front left is not getting any pressure built up. Hand lever effortlessly goes straight to the handle. Tried to bleed brakes first, then dissembles, cleaned front master cylinder. The problem lies when banjo bolt is disconnected from front master cylinder and the brake lever is squeezed (no preassure) no brake fluid shoots or even drips out. I dont have the reservoir with the metal bottom but rather the entire plastic part. Attempted a thorough cleaning and just stumped.

Bummer. All will prevail. Throw your two cents in if you wish, if not, no worries.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I am sorry to see you are having troubles , when I had seen your first post I figured by now you would be in the middle of Texas or somewhere by now. If the master cylinder is not allowing fluid or developing pressure then it is defective.The only other thing it could be is a defective line from the master cyl. to the banjo fitting. The inside of these lines have been known to seperate causing a buldge in the line where you can't see it.But normally you feel pressure at the handle.The knock has me wondering,the way you are talking I think you would know if the engine was missfiring,but it sounds like it is way out of balance like a crossed spark plug wire,or a vacuum leak.Let us know what you find.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Postby Possum51 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 am

Sorry to hear about the troubles and the delays. I have always wanted to do the cross country trip on a bike. Next year when I'm able to ride again (recent back surgery) I am going to start planning the trip and hopefully be able to head out within the year after that.
Rick.....

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 am

Hey guys. Yea if not Texas at least the west coast or Montana. The job I was on got prolonged 3 weeks which didn't help either. Im awaiting for the master cylinder rebuild kit to arrive in the mail. Ordered one from eBay. As I wait for that I'll problem solve the other issue. I will be sure to keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions and tips. This forum rocks because of all the people who make it that way.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:57 pm

One place I did not see on the list of amazing places (and they all are as I have been to most of them) is the Lolo Pass. It is Highway 12 from Missoula Mt to Lewiston ID. 217 miles along the Lewis & Clark trail.... ;)

Read my blog -
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

The story - All the Way to the Water Day 3 talks about this section of road.

ONE of the best rides I have ever taken along with anything in Colroado west of Highway 25...

Best of luck on your personal jurney of exploration
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

William Lugg
Motorcycle: 2012 ABS/BLUE

Postby William Lugg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey Seagreen13,
Did you ever get this ride done?

Vin
Vin

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I ended up taking the trip afterall. The bike made it 10,000 miles. Departing from Pittsburgh, PA cruising all the way across the country, down 101 and PCH and back east. Fantastic ride. Will write more soon as well as post pics.

William Lugg
Motorcycle: 2012 ABS/BLUE

Postby William Lugg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:11 pm

congrats!!,

Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing your pics.

vin

Vin

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”