survey, wingdocs member group rides yea or nay?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links

Would you be interested in group rides in your local area organized on this site?

Sure! Sounds great! Sign me up!
58%
Probably, and I might help organize one
27%
Maybe, if someone else did all the work
10%
Not my cup of tea
5%

Total votes: 125

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Re: survey, wingdocs member group rides yea or nay?

Post by twostrokes48 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm

GRAPEAPE94 wrote:While stationed in Germany in the early 70's I was a member of the WHEELS out of Rhein-Main A.F.B. and rode with them a lot. At the time I had a 4 cyl Honda 500 and it took me wherever I wanted to go.

That was the last time that I rode with a group. Now I prefer to ride solo with no group. I like to go at my own rate and stop wherever and whenever I want. If I want to ride straight through to someplace it's no problem, or if I just want to take my time and stop and sightsee whenever I want it is no problem.

Groups are fine but solo is the thing for me.
I pretty much agree with you on very long trips (1000-5000+ miles) but I enjoy getting together for shorter rides of 50-150miles just to get out and about for awhile, then stop and shoot the bull someplace or another.
I also like the idea of a bunch of us commiting to differnt rallies around and meeting there for a weekend of socializing and some riding. Can also enjoy the bike games and other goings on at the rallies.

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Post by fysty-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 pm

I don't like big rides either but if I have the jest of this thread correct, it is about a M&G(Meet & Greet). There have been a number of these put together over the years on the other forums that I am on & for the most part, it seems to work out to a couple dozen bikes showing up with their spouses or what ever & gear for a weekend. The organizers will organize a local ride on the Sat &or Sun 7 get about 6-10 riders going out with the rest sitting around the meeting site( someones yard, motel site or Campground), enjoying the commuraotity(sp?). As the rally is being set up, a number of riders may agree to "hook up" for the ride to the site. This is something that is not ( as this thread has already shown) for everyone but for those who would like to get together & meet up with fellow board members for some laughter & comizerating then an annual "meet-up" is a great idea. Hope this helps out . Cheers Angela :D
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

dondday
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by dondday » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:55 pm

WingMen,

My first post and reply for request of interest in group rides. I've ridden a few times with other bikers owning from Harleys, Yamahas, Kawazakis and the best of course, Gold Wings. On two occassions some riders were too close to one another and sad to say, a mishap took place. Don't care for large group rides either. Sort of keeps incidents at a lower level with fewer bikes.

I've read about Australia ride, but has anyone ever considered south of the border? I believe it would be an adventure of a lifetime. Last month I rode my GW to some sixty miles north of Veracruz, Mexico and lessons were learned. Enjoyed myself greatly, people were friendly and eager to talk and visit with me about my ride. Police, Marines and Federales along the highways looking for drugs and weapons. Made me feel very safe.

Quite a few Topes (speed bumps) even on their super highways which looks more like a country lane, at times straight as an arrow for thirty, forty miles. I was forced to cut my trip short on account of hitting one of those Topes a little harder than I should had, which will hit the bottom of your case if not careful and ruin your trip - not to mention the bike. My GW is twelve years old and a strut seal of same age of course, ruptured and leaked all the strut fluid everywhere when I hit that Tope. Bike rode fine, but couldn't find a shop or tech who knew or had the seals for it and didn't want to risk damaging the other seal. The further south one rides, the worse roads get.

Came home to North Texas, replaced the seals and bike ready to go again someday.

In CowTown USA,
D-Day

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:37 pm

Well, I'm not real happy about riding in Mexico, just because of all the cartel shootings...but no way around it to go south...How about all the way to Panama?? I could deal with that if we had sufficient time to spend some time there.

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Post by fysty-1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 pm

lovemyzx9r wrote:wondering what you guys think about about a section for organizing group rides in states or regions so all the wonderful members can get together a few times a year and share ideas, experiences and whatever deemed appropriate. my local dealership does this and its nice to see all the different ideas people have for their motorcycles. thanks for the input.
Love, saw your avatar & thought you'd get a kick out of what I saw on the telly today. Cheers Angela Sorry Didn't mean to hijack the tread.

Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

dondday

Post by dondday » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Twostrokes,

As a matter of facts, my initial post in this forum was sort of a "Hook and Sinker" for folks that would consider and be interested in riding to Panama and back.

Panama was precisly the reason why I was in Mexico last month. Awhile back, I posted my interest in riding my bike to Panama in another forum, when a Harley rider out of Houston area who was planning on riding a BMW to Costa Rica called me to ask me about my interest in the ride. Not knowing the fellow, nor he knowing anything about me, I sent him a photo of my self and he one of his. I was expecting to see a young mid twenties or thirties fellow with a never shaven beard down to his belly button and tatoos everywhere, even on areas you couldn't see. I wanted to make sure I wasn't meeting up with some "Bandido", "Hell's Angel" or even an "Axe Murderer" (not that I have anything against them). I was pleasantly surprized to see a well grommed mid sixties fellow who spoke good sense. After a few phone conversations, we agreed to the adventure and set a tentative date.

Not having a GPS with maps of Mexico and Central America, we agreed that he would create the route in his GPS since he had one, plan the miles per day to travel (daylight only), hotels/motels stops and other points of interests he would be interested in. In exchange, I would provide my expertise with the language since he spoke "0" Spanish. Saddly; however, three days into the ride, we parted ways, mainly due to his lack of planning as agreed, his total disregards for road signs and warnings even as I translated them for him along the way, not to mention his excessive speed which at times had me trailling at almost 85 mph just to try and stay with him on roads not exactly in good conditions.

With my damaged bike, I pleaded with him to return home (Texas) where I could get my bike repaired since i couldn't find one there, regroup and plan out the route the way it should had been and start again. I learned in the army that as Americans, we leave no one behind. I didn't feel comfortable with the prospect, but he made the choice to go at it alone as he had previously planned. Maybe next ridding partner (s) will be better.

In CowTown USA,
D-Day

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Post by cardinal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Anybody in the Central Valley of California? The really good riding season is almost on us.

dondday

Post by dondday » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Some like crowds, other like it alone.

I agree that riding alone gives the flexibility of creating your own flow. Where you stop, places you go, sites you visit are pretty much your choice, not to mention your own time and schedule.

Group riding gives you the ability to see what others like, their riding experiences and the communicating on what or where is a good place to visit and which to stay away from. Having the warm fussy feeling of ready available help in the event of breakdown is also good.

When attempting a ride in other countries such as south of the border through Mexico, Central America and even beyond, having other ridders along is highly desirable and recommended. No less than two cycles and small group of say four gives a better sense of secutiry, level of experience and options that may not be available going at it solo. Having few riders also makes it easier in finding accomodations in local hotels/motels.

In CowTown USA,
D-Day

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:56 pm

redial wrote:I am willing to organise a tour of interesting places in Australia. We could arrange to have your GWs packed in containers, and shipped over and then back. The softies could fly over, but the exit point would have to be Los Angeles. It would not have to be a marathon, with long hours of riding, but more of a leisurely look and see and ride. We have to allow for the SO, who may not want to see a race circuit in the Blue Mountains, or enjoy the twisties going up and down the eastern escarpment, or the War Memorial in Canberra, and might like to sneak away and do some shopping, looking at an art museum, taking photographs

There is no problem about the temporary importation of motor vehicles, as long as they are registered in their home country/state, and they do leave the country. This would not be a cheap vacation, it would be a "one in a million" type of tour, on a beer budget, though. Let me know if you are interested. I was thinking of November 2013 as a possibility, or March-April 2014 - these are the kindest times of the year. Accommodation would be at Caravan Parks (aka trailer parks), and we would book cabins with everything, just bring local food for yourselves.

This would be the trip of a lifetime!
I would be intersted in this. I have always want to visit down under. Let me know if you get any other responces please.

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 am

Would it be possible/feasable/much cheaper to rent a wing there instead of shipping a bike round trip?? I'm guessing that even with half dozen bikes into one container, it would still run well over $1000 to ship the bike roundtrip or am I all wet on the cost?? I would guess $150 a day for gas/food/lodging for a couple...Airfare for two about $3000....So my guess is that this would run approx. $10,000 for a couple.....Anyone else put a pencil to figures on this?? I also think it would be great trip...Right now though, I just have no way to afford it. I gave up credit when I retired. I got debt free so I could afford to retire...and have stayed that way. Don't want to change that situation.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Just putting my finger in the air, to get an idea of costs, to rent a GW in LAX will cost $140/day, plus fuel, etc. So for 30 days, it will cost around $5 000, plus fuel but unlimited kilometres (miles).

A GW in Oz, new, is around AU$45 000 plus onthe road costs (OTR). I looked on a couple of websites, and there is a 2006 for AU$33 000 plus OTR, and a 2004 for AU$16 000 plus OTR. Then there is the problem of selling them at the end, unless you strike a deal for the end.

There is a company advertising as Chapel Tours, that are advertising GL1100 and GL1200 for rental as part of a tour. They take you around where you plan ahead where you want to go, and they take you, and of course you have to pay for the tour leader, and the cost depends on where you want to go.

Remember, Oz is as big as the lower 48! So think carefully and plan your sights to fit in with your budget, your time, and the number of photos you want to take. Fuel here is about AU$1.50/litre, and there are about 3.89litres to a US gallon (about AU$5.85 per US Gallon). AU$1.00 = US$1.03 as at 18Feb13.

Seafreight in containers ex LA is about AU$900.00, and includes Customs and steam cleaning (required by Quarantine), that is from memory, and then it is the return journey. However, most of the well known car rental companies operate in Oz, like Hertz, Avis, Budget, and Europcar. An Avis car (GM Cruze seats 5, auto, aircon, for 28 days will cost around AU$1 700 plus fuel, unlimited kilometres). This is a good size for 4 people and works out to AU$71/day.

Return economy airfaires to/from LAX to Melbourne will be about US$2 000 each, and that is by Qantas (which is affiliated with American Airlines), with direct flights of around 16 hours (or three or four movies is another way to assess it).

Let me know if you require further info, and I will check out more details.

Memories are always better than dreams!

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am

If GW's are so much more expensive in AUS, it might be worthwhile buying one here, shipping it there for $900, and selling it at the end of your trip - which could probably end up paying for your trip!

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Someone from downunder may chime in with the real reason, but my guess is IMPORT tax..in which case would have to be paid on the bike you brought with you prior to it being sold. This of course would put the price right back up with whatever is already there. Now if that is not the case then you are right, could make some serious profit on a bike which would cover a lot of the trip.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:05 pm

There is a difference between importing for sale, and importing to export at the end of a visit. For a straight importation, you would have to meet Australian Design Rules (ADR). All vehicles built after 1Jan1989 have to comply with ADR, which includes metric gauges, (you could not fill your GW with USGallons, they would all have to be in litres), headlights (they would have to align the headlight to throw left instead of right on low beam), amber turning lights front and rear, and metric tyre pressure. Of course the temperature range would have to be converted to Celsius :mrgreen: .

Some of these items can be quite expensive, or to get a "authorised" engineer to certify that the vehicle meets or exceeds the ADR after modifications will set you back at least a $1 000 fee, and you also have to obtain an import permit from the Federal Transport, and then have the vehicle inspected by a State DMV before it is allowed to go on the road. (Some States require a handbrake for a trike or sidecar, others dont.)

When importing to re-export, and if you belong to a Motoring organisation, such as RAA, AA, or similar, then you can get a cartnote that will guarantee that Customs will get paid if you sell the GW within a certain time. This is a holding fee of around $5 000, which is refundable, but payable at the time of import. (I wonder if GWRRA qualifies?) There are companies that do this import processing, and know how to work their way through the rules and regulations, I am aware of some of the (I worked in Australian Customs for 12 years) lurks, but have not kept upto date.

The rules are made to stop the casual "let's make a quick buck" type of scheme, and to provide some orderly importation. I have known of cars that have been imported having to have all of the safety equipment replaced, eg seat belts, air bags, tyres including the spare, before the engineer would certify it so that the State DMV could then check it over. Everyone has to make a living!

If that doesnt deter you, then get back to me. After I saw some of the prices, I thought that a rental car would be the best option for a trip, with perhaps a side trip of a few days to ride a mc on the wrong/correct side of the road, but upside down :roll: in the land downunder.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

SteelBill
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800

Post by SteelBill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Yes I'm interested in a group ride including the rideto Austrilila in 2014. Do we have anyone from Chicago interested. My trike should be ready any day now,so for the time being I'm walking,lol.

x-09
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200A
1985 gl1200L

Post by x-09 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 pm

re: Anybody in the Central Valley of California? The really good riding season is almost on us

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13432&start=50#ixzz2PWRR07GY

I'm up here in Chico, Ca. with my 85 aspy, :) my 85 LE has charging problems, don't relish removing engine to replace stator.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey x-09, I pass through the west of you going down to visit the parents in Sonora, so maybe a drive-by!

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:24 pm

x-09 wrote:
I'm up here in Chico, Ca. with my 85 aspy, :) my 85 LE has charging problems, don't relish removing engine to replace stator.
I see you are new to the forum....first welcome aboard. Thought I would mention that a large percentage of folks on this forum feel the poorboy conversion to a car alternator is the only way to go once you loose you stator including me. I did the conversion on my 84 aspy a couple years ago and it worked perfectly. Less work, less money and 100% more reliable than replace the stator which even after repairing the yellow wires and connector may fail in 15-20k.
Enjoy the riding.

x-09
1985 gl1200L

Post by x-09 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Mag wrote:Hey x-09, I pass through the west of you going down to visit the parents in Sonora, so maybe a drive-by!
hehe nice a good run, keep rubber side down.

x-09
1985 gl1200L

Post by x-09 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:
x-09 wrote:
I see you are new to the forum....first welcome aboard. Thought I would mention that a large percentage of folks on this forum feel the poorboy conversion to a car alternator is the only way to go once you loose you stator including me. I did the conversion on my 84 aspy a couple years ago and it worked perfectly. Less work, less money and 100% more reliable than replace the stator which even after repairing the yellow wires and connector may fail in 15-20k.
Enjoy the riding.
Thanks for the welcome, :D I was leaning toward the mosfet hotshot technology stator, they don't get as hot they have one just for the 85 le and the 86 sei. also get rid of connector just solder and heat shrink.

LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE (sold *sigh*)
1996 1500 Aspencade

Post by LDodge » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:57 pm

ABSOLUTELY -- let me know when one is in the SW Wisconsin area please:)
On the road again ..YIPPIE. Riding with the Green Hornet and Kato :mrgreen:

coneger
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 10000

Post by coneger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:36 am

Being a Texas boy slightly relocated to Florida, Tallahassee Area, only Tempary. Sell this place and I'm outta here, Fast.
Think a ride would be a good way to meet some folks and Bs our way into a steak and salad. Have met some folks in times past but was too busy BSing to get phone numbers. Do pretty good at shooting the Bull but like to meet professionals from time to time.
Ride a 1979 GL 1000, bought it in Casper, Wy. Had it flat bedded to Denver then shipped to Atlanta and rode it from there to Florida area, in late winter, brrrrrrrr it was cold plus a little snow in ditches. Drank a lot of coffe on the way. Just retired from the 18 wheeler biz, slowly getting bored.
y'all ride safe, keep the greasy side down.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1999 Virago XV1100LC
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made

Post by bstig60 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

My area is a great place to ride with a lot to see and do. I would be willing to help organize a Northern California ride.
Bill

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Post by ghostvet » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Central Florida anyone?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Ive never been on a group ride but it sounds fun. I have to get the goldwing I just picked up thru some service. But if there was an event near me Id show up and hang out.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset