Blueridge parkway

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Blueridge parkway

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 pm

If one was going to plan to ride the blueridge parkway from north to south.starting around Roanoke how far could one get and where would he stay ? then the second day ? Has anyone done this that could help me figure it out ? I think I could leave upstate NY ( not the city ) fingerlake area and ride to roanoke first day and stay there ? Thinking like a four day trip including one down and one back if that possible ?? Thanks for any help.. Sally

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Re: Blueridge parkway

Postby motorhead1977 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Sally, My wife and I are riding down that way in the middle of May to meet up with friends at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and we are planning 1 day from Albany to stop in Strasburg VA and then the BRP for a portion of our trip to the BRMC the next day. We aren't going to try and ride the whole parkway as we have a group meet up to get to. Here is a link to the BRP info site with a trip planner etc. http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ That should assist you with all your questions. From a crude Mapquest check you are about 6 hours from Strasburg VA just as we are. We got a good room rate at the Ramada Inn there and it looks to be about 5-6 miles from the motel to get on the BRP. Hope your trip is a good one. Tom
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54 pm

My wife and I were just talking tonight about perhaps doing a trip down the BRP this summer.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 am

This should help you plan your trip:
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

yamaha96
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500se aspencade, 1996 1300 yamaha royalstar

Postby yamaha96 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 am

Hi, my nane is Mike, i am from Va., took a trip last year , with my friend Larry and his daughter, Maria, we went to N.C. AND ETC. on the way back home got on the Blueridge Parkway, at Ashville, N.C. and rode to Vinton, Va. took about 8 hrs. , this was in Aug. , saw lots of turkeys, some deer, and a bear, a great ride, you will have a wonderful time, planning on Niagara Falls this year, looking forward to it, anyone been there. Mike.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:27 am

yamaha96 wrote:Planning on Niagara Falls this year, looking forward to it, anyone been there. Mike.

Been there many, many times, but I kinda come at it from the opposite direction from you Mike. There is lots to see, and lots of different roads to ride in that area. The falls themselves are best seen from the Canadian side. There is an entire hiking system on the Canadian side, right down by the water.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am

yamaha96 wrote:Hi, my nane is Mike, i am from Va., took a trip last year , with my friend Larry and his daughter, Maria, we went to N.C. AND ETC. on the way back home got on the Blueridge Parkway, at Ashville, N.C. and rode to Vinton, Va. took about 8 hrs. , this was in Aug. , saw lots of turkeys, some deer, and a bear, a great ride, you will have a wonderful time, planning on Niagara Falls this year, looking forward to it, anyone been there. Mike.

Niagra Fall's is awesome, something I will never forget....I took the family there in 99 I think it was..Loved it, its amazing...Now you guy's went and got my juices flowing for a trip..I want to try this Blueridge Parkways sometime, it looks like a great ride...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 am

Sally. The site previously noted is a great place to get info on the BRP. They have a free travel planner that you can order that has everything you always wanted to know about the Parkway with sectional maps that include mileposts, fuel stops, overlooks, lodging and things to do in the surrounding areas. I am planning a trip to Washington DC with 4 days on the BRP. We will be riding the Parkway on the 20th/24th of May. Won't be making planned stops while on the Parkway, just come what may. We may camp or motel it just depends. The speed limit is 45 mph max so with any sightseeing and side trips it could easily take 4 or 5 days to leisurely ride the entire length.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks to all for the information I will be checking out the web site.I do like Tom's ideal of just going I want to take my time do what I want. Was worried about a place to stay maybe I shouldn't and just wing it. ha ha..And as for NF I'm about three hours from it great place to go once maybe twice and yes the CAN. side is better then the USA side. (Ididn't say that). If your going to be around the fingerlakes area lots of great riding here. Sally

Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Motorhead I see on the map skyline drive.Thinking about starting there and riding the BRP.Have you give that any thought ? I may do skyline and like 200 miles of the BRP then head back. Sally

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Sally, I live in NC (about 4 hours from the Southern end of the PW, 2 hours from the nearest entrance, near Fancy Gap) I have done the entire PW twice to include Skyline. The PW is 469 miles from end to end and Skyline is 105 miles. Both times I did the PW in 2 days. Didn't ride hard, stopped when I wanted. The first time I did it, I combined a trip across the Tail of the Dragon the first day. There were 2 camping places (w/ Hotels and Restaurants there. Don't remember the pricing on the Hotels but camping was $16 per night.) There are plenty of Hotels and such just off the PW near the bigger towns. Anyway, my first time after riding 5 hours to get to the Dragon and hanging out there for about 3 hours, I took off and headed for the PW. Got on the PW and rode to the first Campsite. Got there about dark, camped and headed out the second day about 9:00 (after breakfast at the restaurant) Stopped plenty of times during my ride north and arrived at the second campsite around 7:00. Camped that night and headed on out the next day about 8:00 or so. Hit Skyline mid morning, finished it and was back home( using Interstate) that evening. I suppose you could take 4 days to do the PW but, you will be stopping at just about every overlook. LOL Get the info the others have suggested, maybe plan some sightseeing away the PW. There are alot of things to do near the PW but, both times that I went, the PW was the attraction for me, so I just cruised along, enjoying the view and stopping to take pics whenever I wanted. If you find yourself at the southern end with some extra time, the Dragon, Cherahala Highway (sp), and other GREAT motorcycle roads are only an hour or so from you. Enjoy the ride and Welcome to North Carolina!!
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:21 pm

OOPS, Sally I see you were talking about doing 2 days on the PW, 4 days total on your trip. I can see you getting into NC on your second day. Don't think you'll be able to do it all (have to leave time to retrace your route). Dingdong was the one talking about taking 4 days on the PW itself. Sorry for the confusion. I'll just shut up now and hope both of you have safe, exciting travels.
'Soldier HARD'
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

Sally

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 am

Great reply's lots of good information.. Have one more thing what's the best month to ride the BRP ? considering traffic,room avl, veiws,temps.etc...... Sally

yamaha96

Postby yamaha96 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am

Sally, i like to ride BP in spring and early fall, i belong to CMA riders, and we meet for Run for the Son , 1 st. Sat. in May , every year, that is normally a good time had by all, post some more info on Niagara Falls , i am planning on going for a week trip, 2 nd. wk. in Aug. is this a good time of the the year to go., thanks, Mike.

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I like early Spring so the flowers and stuff are starting to come out. Best, and worst, time to go is late Fall. It's the best because of trees changing and all those colors. Some of the most beautiful sights you will ever see. It's the worst because of the traffic and everyone else looking at the colors instead of paying attention to where they are driving. Holiday periods (Easter, Memorial Day, etc) are usually pretty busy with traffic. Thankfully they don't allow commercial vehicles, buses, and such on the PW. Whenever you plan your trip, pay attention to the weather forecast. The PW is NO fun when the cloud layer is low. Got into it a little last year and it was so thick that I couldn't see the headlight of MC that was 2 back. There were 3 of us, I was leading and could see the light of the one right behind me, but not the 3rd one. We ended up dropping off the PW and getting something to eat until it warmed up enough to lift the fog. Mid week is always a good time to ride it. Weekends are usually pretty busy from late Spring till after the leaves change. Regardless, it is a great ride anytime. You won't be disappointed unless it's weather related.
'Soldier HARD'

Sally

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:56 pm

August is a great time to go to NF they have all kinda of things to do.jet boat ride, madine of mist boat goes under falls, goat island it's been five years since I've been there.I believe marine land close. Sally

motorhead1977

Postby motorhead1977 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am

Yes, August is a really good time to be there. Be sure to bring your passport so you can stay on the Canadian side if you choose. Great views and lots easier to see the attractions. Maid of the Mist is available there as well as several other "Falls things to do". The American side does have the "Cave of the Winds" tour which is cool - and quite damp. hehe. All in all it is a great spot to visit! This was taken from our hotel room on the Canadian side during our last visit.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

yamaha96

Postby yamaha96 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 am

thanks for the great picture, it looks really nice there, can't wait to see the water falls, i love all kinds of falls, i will ride the maiden mist for sure, everyone tells me the Canada side is the nicest, i want to see both sides if i have time, Mike.

Sally

Postby Sally » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Here an article about the falls I found a couple days ago.Good luck.Sally
http://gma.yahoo.com/see-skip-niagara-f ... ories.html

yamaha96

Postby yamaha96 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks, Sally, looking forward to my trip, in Aug. its in the planning stage right now, hope to make it happen, Mike.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 am

View from the deck of the Maid of the Mist.

Low water early in the morning, as overnight (when tourists can't see!) they divert the river to fill a reservoir, to power the generators during the day.
Quite remarkable.

I went in the early Fall to beat the heat, and the hordes of kids.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

yamaha96

Postby yamaha96 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am

thanks for the pictures, looks nice, i am checking on some rates today, can't wait to see the big falls, Mike.

Sally

Postby Sally » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Plans starting to come together.Got ahold of a friend riding bud today and sat down and picked a date.May 16th were going to start in front royal and do skyline drive first. Come on spring... Sally

motorhead1977

Postby motorhead1977 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm

Sally wrote:Plans starting to come together.Got ahold of a friend riding bud today and sat down and picked a date.May 16th were going to start in front royal and do skyline drive first. Come on spring... Sally

Nice! We're planning on being at the BRMC by then. Riding part of the BRP on our way down the 2 days before. Enjoy your trip. Tom.

Sally

Postby Sally » Sun May 19, 2013 11:38 am

I just got back from my BRP trip I started in the Shenandoah National park North enterance and rode south. So 105 miles miles at 35 mph and stops took roughly 5 hours than on to park way I have to tell we almost got off parkway to ride eles where the first 15 miles were rough road was bad no veiws I pulled over and we made the decussion to ride another 15 than get off if it was no better. Well in about 10 mile we hit new black top started to get in the groove wings running good sun shining feeling good the ride was amazing than we hated to get off. But time was against us we needed to get back to Front Royal before dark. We got off at James River and took 130 west to Natural Bridge and picked up 81 south. Ten hours on park ways and two and half back. Great trip weather was 65 at night 82 day time temps. Stop at Humpback Rocks vistor center the women in there said they have been writing speeding tickets last three day to bikers.She said they didn't have anything better to do yet. Over all great. Planning next years trip at least four day starting at James River and heading south from there. Oh yaeh if your planning on going in May make hotel resv. All the college have grad. ceramonies this time of year can be busy as we found out. Sally :lol:

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”