time for a road trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

time for a road trip

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 am

Well its that time of year again, the mods are finished on the bike and the tent trailer. They are both packed and Im outta here first thing tomorrow morning(Saturday the 8th). Every year I ride out to Edmonton Alberta to my Brothers house (1000km away from my home) where we start our ride to Vancouver Island to visit our Father. After visiting with Dad for a few days I ride with my brother back to Edmonton before heading "home" the long way. Not sure exactly where I will end up this year but I am leaning towards going north, way north like maybe Yellowknife NWT then west to Watson Lake Yukon. Then south to Williams Lake B.C. then west to Bella Coola.

That's just the general Idea of where I may end up. who knows I may just change my mind and go east to Ontario cuz I haven't been there yet either...... :roll:
Heres a pic of last years map........ 9000km in just 2 weeks riding. 8-)

I will attempt to post a little of my adventure as it unfolds, the first leg of the trip isn't very exciting usually but I will get to stop in and see CBX4EVR this Sunday afternoon. This years goal is to exceed 10,000km. Stay tuned.............. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: time for a road trip

Postby themainviking » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:35 am

If you do get out to this area of Ontario, and IF I am here, we could get together for a coffee, and I could supply a bed for overnight, perhaps a meal. Keep it open on your calendar Todd.

Viking
North Bay, ON

You can originate contact with me through this forum to start. As I did not get to do much tripping so far this year, it would be a fine thing to meet others regardless.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 am

Hope it's a dry ride for you. The weather has been kinda wet here.

We'll see you Sunday!
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:26 pm

It would be a lie if I said I didnt envy you. Hope those Avons do the job for you! We will all be looking for the updates and pics. :D

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Just shared a pot of coffee and an hour if conversation with Todd as he stopped in here on his way to his brother's place. Pleasure meeting you Todd. Hope our paths cross again some day. Have a great vacation.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am

After Todd left I was thinking about our conversation about his travels etc. Given the weather we are currently experiencing, his travelling set up and his happy attitude the moniker of RoadRogue certainly describes him perfectly.

aspen31
Motorcycle: 1984 goldwing aspencade gl1200a

Postby aspen31 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am

wish that we had areas like that here in the midwest to take a trip on. if you ever get to kansas let us know we have a few goldwing clubs here :D

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Well hello again , here is the long awaited update to this trip for the two or three of you that are following my aimless ramblings. This is the first time I have had a chance to log on for more than a few mins. and actually get something down that may be of interest.

I have done the first part of this trip that involves visiting with my family and therefore not much riding time, however I did manage to sneak in a couple days of me time in between.

I did enjoy meeting Nick (CBX4VR) and his lovely wife, even if it was only for an hour or so. I will make sure I call in again when I am in the "neighborhood".

I have managed to cover approximately 4000 km so far, I have met some interesting people on the road from all over the world. I was stopped at a gas station in a small town in Alberta when a guy came up to me and asked me a question about an issue he was having with the reverse on his bike. Of course I gave him my suggestion as to what the solution was and told him about this site. I see that he has joined us here ( welcome AJW) and as I promised him his question would be answered in short order. I met a couple from France that are on an epic journey of North and South America. He spoke no English she spoke some, I spoke very bad French and we had a good visit and had a few laughs. You can see their online blog of the trip here,
http://les-mouettes-voyageuses.blogspot.fr
They flew from France to the east coast of Canada, drove across to where I met them on the west coast and they were on the way to Alaska before heading south to the tip of Argentina and then flying home. WOW what a journey.
That kind of makes my silly little map look boring, but here it is so far.......
2013 bike trip so far
2013 bike trip so far
Ride safe, Todd

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Your"silly little trip"looks pretty awesome to me, I would love to take a trip like that. Enjoy, ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Are you back home now Todd??? Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope all is well.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi kids, I am still alive and well. I am still out on the road and have not been home since I left on this adventure June the 8th. I was going to post the latest map pic of my travels awhile ago but got side tracked by a friend that needed my help moving to a new town and had some renos to do to the house before he could rent it out.
I will make every effort to post the map pic in the next 24 hrs. So far Ihave ridden over 9000km, thats 4500 miles or so foryou metrically challanged folks. Still having a great time and still dont need my rain gear. More later . 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Good to hear from you. Pic's would be good. Maybe we slackers can do the vicarious thing. :lol: Be safe!

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 pm

I'll be in Castlegar for coffee Aug 16. You better be home!!

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Ok Nick thats a date, should we make up the spare bed?maybe I should rephrase that........ 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 pm

ok Heres the latest version of this years road trip so for,

After visiting family on Vancouver Island I rode around the Island a bit to check out some roads I haven't ridden yet. All were very worth the effort and time. there are some beautiful spots to set up camp in everywhere.

After the Island I headed north to see what Bella Coola had to offer on this adventure. another beautiful area of British Columbia. Then back to the Okanagan and then to???? eventually going home should be home on Monday night.more pics as I organize them in the days to come 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:57 am

Hey Todd,
Are you related to a tumbleweed? That looks like an awesome trip. Did your GW come to be as reliable as we all wanted it to be?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Len, this has been a wonderful tripso far. The Wing has been flawless. It has pulled the trailer and me all over the place and never missed a beat, didnt even have to add air to the tires. I did have to do an oil change the other day but thats just routine maintainance.
I might have to actually wash the bike when I get home next week, I havent had time to on this trip.

Oh ya , in case you folks were wondering what the green tent beside the trailer is, thats the on demand propane fired hot water shower. Theres nothing like a long hot shower after a long days ride and a good meal eaten in front of the camp fire......remind me why I have to go home!!!!! 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

It's great, you have all the comforts of home but you pack them up and you enjoy a day of riding and site seeing, then when ever you decide you want to camp, you set it up. I bet yo have your set up down to a science. How long does it take to set up and tear down?
Proud member Patriot Guard

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:00 pm

RoadRogue wrote:the green tent beside the trailer is the on demand propane fired hot water shower.

Wow. Now that is the be all and end all of motorcycle camping. That is the only thing I have been missing. I am gonna have to investigate that one further to see if it is a viable option to include in my tent trailer. I think I do not have the storage capacity that you have, but I am sure I will think of something. I have been sorely lacking in trips so far this year, what with one thing after another, but there is always the rest of the year, and next year, and the year after that ......... :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:50 am

RoadRogue wrote:Ok Nick thats a date, should we make up the spare bed?maybe I should rephrase that........ 8-)

Thanks for the offer but not this time.

We're leaving Grand Forks that morning heading to Nakusp for the weekend. Thought we stop and say hello as we went through Castlegar.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”