MI to AZ in November?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

MI to AZ in November?

Postby landisr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Gang. The Wife and I will be finalizing our move to Arizona in early November. She will be in the car with remnants of our 'stuff' (most went out on a truck in May) and the critters, and I will be leading the way on the Wing. Our basic planned route is to go I-69 to Indy, I-70 to St Louis, I-44 to OKC, I-40 to Holbrook AZ and then down through Payson to Phoenix. I have checked the "average" temps for key cities enroute, including Amarillo, Santa Rosa, ALBQ, Holbrook and Payson/Heber and they all claim avg daytime temps in the 60s. Granted, anything can happen in November, but we will be flexible in timing, route, etc. I have ridden that route several times on the Wing and am comfortable with long days in the saddle. I am also equipped for cold and/or wet weather. I initially plan to take 4 days to do it, unless our plans get 'changed'.

Can anyone advise me as to weather abnormalities or areas in particular that I should pay close attention to?

TIA. Ron (still) in MI

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: MI to AZ in November?

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Michigan gets snow as early as October, but would you consider that an abnormal weather condition? Hahahahahahahahaha.

If you make it to St Louis, you should have clear sailing. Might have to delay morning departures till the sun comes up to warm off the road ice tho. I lived in New Mexico for three years, and rode every day I was there. I lived in Colorado Springs for three years, and my riding was not much different. Sometimes had to park er for a week or so due to snow blizzards, :lol: I rode in snow storms in both states at one time or another. It is safe enough as long as the snow isn't sticking to the roads.

You are moving to God's Motorcycle riding country, and I am a teensy bit envious. Enjoy Arizony.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:13 am

Crossing Oklahoma in November can be quite pleasant weather wise. Sometime the winds can be fierce when a front comes through but that can happen all the way to AZ. If you have been through here before you already know this but the 250 miles from OKC to Amarillo can be the longest stretch of miles in the country. Absolutely nothing in between. Good luck with the trip.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

jhbates2000
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby jhbates2000 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:59 am

I live in indiana...keep in mind that here the weather can be sunny and 80 and 20 minutes later it can drop by 20-30 degrees especially in november. last november i was wearing sweatshirts and jeans at thanksgiving and by the middle of the 2nd week of december i was back to wering shorts...Indiana is just messed up!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Just to rub some salt into the already sweaty body, here in the South, where we are having the last day of official Winter, the temp cracked 29C, (about 84F), with the humidity at 20%, a light breeze, sunny skies, hmmmmm, think I might go and fire up the cycle and go for a ride.

Riding to AZ should be this good! Just enjoy, and think about those pleasant days of us poor people that have to live in Goldilocks Land :twisted: Have an uneventful trip, and enjoy the scenery, especially around Amarillo.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 am

Redial - peeps like you and others in California....riding riding riding, winters in the 60s, ya sure. Rest of the world actually has seasons, but NO! You get to ride all year around (I would love that). I have to admit, coming from California where I was able to ride 11 months out of the year, I do really appreciate the cold weather I have up here in the NW states, gives me time to do all the add on ideas I get from here :mrgreen:

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:40 am

Mag wrote:Redial - peeps like you and others in California....riding riding riding, winters in the 60s, ya sure. Rest of the world actually has seasons, but NO! You get to ride all year around (I would love that). I have to admit, coming from California where I was able to ride 11 months out of the year, I do really appreciate the cold weather I have up here in the NW states, gives me time to do all the add on ideas I get from here :mrgreen:

I agree, the colder seasons do have their advantages. I love the sights and smells of autumn, riding through golden trees, early morning mists, the smell of woodsmoke as people start to light their first fires of the colder months. In fact, I think riding a 'Wing in anything much over 75f gets uncomfortable, especially if you are wearing protective gear.

I remember in my youth (no Goldwings for me then though), on the really cold nights, going to the local pub, and spreading our Michelin maps of Europe on the table and planning the summer's rides whilst getting through a few pints of ale.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

redial

Postby redial » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

I agree, the colder seasons do have their advantages. I love the sights and smells of autumn, riding through golden trees, early morning mists, the smell of woodsmoke as people start to light their first fires of the colder months. In fact, I think riding a 'Wing in anything much over 75f gets uncomfortable, especially if you are wearing protective gear.

In Huddlesfield (sic), they named it that way for a reason - and that could be the only advantage that there is for cold! Wood and coal smoke are very big polutants, worse than a petrol engine, so it is much better to ride all year and keep the ozone balanced through winter and summer.

I remember in my youth (no Goldwings for me then though), on the really cold nights, going to the local pub, and spreading our Michelin maps of Europe on the table and planning the summer's rides whilst getting through a few pints of ale.

The only reason to go into the pub was because they all have hot fires, and you needed to warm up. It is alright at the end of the day, but not before you had finished for the day. You cannot use the same excuse now with GPS, you just order a tea/coffee while you spread out in front of the fire, just to get warm. Where's the fun in that?

It is Spring here, now, and the weather is so good, at 1030am it is already 27C - warm enough for a ride, and, we have a whole summer to look forward to :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:47 pm

[color=#408000]The only reason to go into the pub was because they all have hot fires, and you needed to warm up. It is alright at the end of the day, but not before you had finished for the day. You cannot use the same excuse now with GPS, you just order a tea/coffee while you spread out in front of the fire, just to get warm. Where's the fun in that?

We might have been cold but at least the beer was warm!
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

redial

Postby redial » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 pm

The only reason you drink it warm is because you dont store the barrels outside! I tried the warm beer thing, and I must admit to not liking it at all. I have heard that it is best compared with Panther Piddle, not that I have experienced Panther Piddle, but I could imagine the analogy as being correct.

The US beer that I like the best is "Blue Moon" - but I got stumped in Urbana Oh, where a restaurant had it on tap so I ordered one. (I was not driving, and had no intention of driving at all that day.) They asked me if I wanted a small one or the larger size, and I said "Big boy here, so I will have a big boy's beer, thanks." It is the first time that I have been served a beer in a preserving jar, that was so big I had to use two hands to lift it! I finished it, but only just. It tasted good though, every last drop of it.

Besides, there are no bad beers, only some that you would not want to drink too often!

Len in Kapunda

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”