Completed THE MOVE to AZ. Story & Request For Ride(r)s

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Completed THE MOVE to AZ. Story & Request For Ride(r)s

Postby landisr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi, All. My sig line has been advising of my formerly imminent move from MI to AZ, and it finally happened last week. Our new house here in Queen Creek was finished in May, and we had to be out of our house in MI at closing which was the Tuesday after Memorial Day. So we packed a 26' rental truck (including The Wife's 76 Wing), and a buddy and I hauled one of the cars and made a trip out here. Then flew home. The remainder of our "belongings" ie crap, along with the critters and 1500 moved in with Mom-in-law. Actually, all went well for the 5 months + we stayed there until said Wife could retire effective Nov 1. We then packed said remnants, 3 cats and Mom-in-law into the minivan and loaded the 1500 and newly acquired Royal Enfield Bullet on a trailer and headed out here again. Actually not a bad trip, but ovbiously would have been more fun on the Wing, but this wouldn't have been a great time to start training Da Boss in the finer points of trailering (especially the last 100 miles with 6% grades, etc etc).

So here we are, trying to get settled and sorting through mountains of boxes while organizing AND downsizing. HINT: If you've occasionally entertained thoughts that you "really should think about getting rid of some of that years of accumulated stuff", I heartfully suggest that you consider doing it sooner rather than later...

I guess it's fortunate that we may set a record for rainfall this weekend, so I/we will have more time to get more done, but then once the sun returns I/we will be more than ready to start exploring the local area, and would welcome the opportunity to meet members of these 'boards in person for a ride or at least a cuppa. Feel free to post a reply here or call my cell at 517-230-8979.

Ron in AZ

PS. I'm attaching a couple pics of the Big Rig...
Attachments
It's the closer rig...  :-P
It's the closer rig... :-P
Yes, there are TWO bikes there... ;-)
Yes, there are TWO bikes there... ;-)

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Completed THE MOVE to AZ. Story & Request For Ride(r)s

Postby Mag » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 am

Why was I thinking that your mominlaw was strapped down on the top of the truck, as you said you "packed all your stuff and your mominlaw...."......there was a vision ;)

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Sorta like in "National Lampoon's Vacation" with Aunt Edna on the roof rack? :lol:
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Moved here 3 years ago from Wisconsin after 40 years, Born in Detroit! I'm about 65 miles from you maybe we can meet for a cup a Joe sometime, after the rain LOL!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 am

Enjoy your fun, in the sun AZ! It will take some getting used to all the sunshine in AZ compared to gloomy Michigan winters... :lol: I know
I spent the first 42 years in the Mitten state along the Gold coast...

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Postby dnehasert » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Welcome to AZ. Did you bring this cool weather with you ? :-)
I'm in Mesa. Here is a group you may be interested in: http://www.meetup.com/SanTanAreaMotorcycleRiders/
Once you sign in and check them out, there are several other riding groups you can find in the Meet up. Also subscribe to cyclerides.com
It is a listing of events and rides arround the valley. Doug

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Well you picked a good year to make the move. When we recently downsized, Mrs.Mini rented a huge dumpster. I thought she was crazy. Twenty five hundred pounds later, I was glad she got the biggest one she could! It's amazing how much you can accumulate. I'm sure I'll miss some of the stuff I tossed, but my new mantra is if I need something it, I'll buy it at that time.
I'm interested in the trailer you used. Did you build it or buy it? How'd it make the trip?

t2oldbikes
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Postby t2oldbikes » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:58 am

For a nice loop ride with good scenery:
Take 60 east all the way out to Globe. Stop and see a few things on the way; Boyce-Thompson Arboretum and maybe Besh Ba Gowah right in town. Back on 60 east keep a close eye for the turn off to 77. It's on the right a bit east of town. The road was good and there were some pretty nice spots climbing through the pass. When you get down to 177 you can turn back north and head back to 60 and backtrack it home or perhaps find a new way back. 177 is nice also, just not quite as scenic
This is a nice ride if you're out in Phoenix for a vacation.
Apache Trail is fun but is kind of tight and a bit of work on a large bike.
Remember to keep an eye out for fallen rocks where the sides are steep. I've seen a couple of them.
Have fun riding and I can't wait til my time comes to be down there.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 am

I am English, moved to France (Antibes), Married a French lady and we then moved to San Jose, California, then back to Antibes, France, then to Munich, Germany, then to Austin, Texas and finally we are now in Seattle, Washington. This was over a period of 25 years (Approximately 5 years at each destination (Except Munich, which was only a year) and like you, I am constantly surprised at how much crap we manage to collect in between each move!! I still have far more than I need and am trying to get rid of some of it through eBay, but I totally agree that you should get rid of it slowly before a move, rather than having a big panic as you try to load the largest truck you can hire and find that it's half the size of what you needed!! It can get very stressful as you try to tell you wife of the things she doesn't need and we should get rid off!! :lol:

Glad to hear the move went well, the weather should be a lot better for you, although their is too much dessert out that way for my liking!! I loved Texas!! Like Washington, but dislike the weather here, so can't wait to move back to Texas in 2 to 3 years time!!

Gary

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:43 pm

I've been here about 3 years and I'm still looking/finding new roads here but that is half the fun right!
Just bought a Time Out Deluxe Camper and look forward to seeing more of this great state, I love the outdoors!
I lived in Wisconsin the last 40 years, wife & 3 kids, we had a LOT of stuff!
Sold most on CL, garage sales and 6 pick-up loads to the Goodwill 3 loads to the dump and I still looked at things when we moved in and said WHY did I bring this??
I've sold more sense getting here and I vowed to not hoard anything again!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Willbewatching
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby Willbewatching » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 am

Hey.. You're gonna love Az.. it's a riders heaven! I was sent to Tempe in '04 kicking and screaming from Salem Oregon.. I DID NOT want to go.. but, the boss asid.. "how well do you like your job??" anyways.. I got there in Feb... once there it rained just like at home for about a week.. then.. OMGosh.. blue skys and open roads!!! Took me all of a week to send for my bike and I spent the next 8 years exploring!
You have beautiful mountian roads to the north.. lakes in every direction.. wonderful valley rides down towards Nogales, border towns, Rocky Pointe Mexico, Las Vegas a quick jaunt away.. and what?? 5 million people to compete with for freeway riding..lol
Seriously.. you are in a great place to ride.. look up PMRG online.. they post new rides all the time.. a great way to meet other like minded folks! Don't have to join.. just connect and ride.
Another great group is the Patriot Guard Riders!
Go to Meet up.com online and type in motorcycles.. you'll be shocked at how may ride groups there are in Phx. and surround areas!
<laughing> NOW I'm half sorry I left after reading what I just wrote.. lol

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”