Europe, by GL1800, in 2014, the Jumbo Tour

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Europe, by GL1800, in 2014, the Jumbo Tour

Postby Paulcf » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:03 pm

I have a number of questions that I hope to get responses and help on, and I will be very appreciative of your timely feedback!

Please, if you have not done this in the past 3 years or less, don't bother to respond. I don't want to know what you did in 1998 as it is undoubtedly no longer valid and could be costly or dangerous. I am looking obviously for current information from those riders who have done this recently.

1. Shipping of 4 motorcycles from/to a major port. There will be 4 Wings so a 20 foot container would probably be ideal? I am assuming via boat is the most cost effective method? We can ride to Houston, Texas (port) and ship from there, ideally. We want to avoid the congestion of New York/Baltimore if possible. AND: Is this possible to put 4 Wings in a 20' container?
2. Destination in Europe is unimportant, so the cheapest drop off spot would work...Ireland? UK? France? Belgium? Netherlands? Suggestions?
3. Ideally we'd like to sell our bikes in Europe, is this even possible? Is it worth it? Can it be done? Ideally to fly home without the bike but with a wad of currency would be fine and I'd just have to buy another one back in North America.
4. Any other comments, suggestions, etc? Our tour will involve Great Britain, France, the Alps and from there: Choices of going north to Scandinavia, east to Russia/Bulgaria and Croatia/Albania and then south to Morocco/Algeria. Your suggestions/recommendations? Why? Why not? Total time frame for this trip is 1 month.
5. Camping? Worth it? Motels? B&B? What does your experience & budget suggest?
6. Thank you!

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

vinlugg
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800ABS/blue
1973 Kawasaki Mach111 500 Triple
1975 Kawasaki Mach1V 750 Triple
1978 Honda 550-4
1983 Honda V45 Sabre
2003 Kawasaki 800A
2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2012 Honda Goldwing

Re: Europe, by GL1800, in 2014, the Jumbo Tour

Postby vinlugg » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Paul,

Haven't done the trip but lived in Germany for three years.We had wait times before selling a vehicle we shipped over. Better check laws about selling a vehicle. See if there's a waiting period or if they'll consider you a reseller etc. I doubt you can just rent a container, load up and ship them. You'll have to deal with customs at both ends.
Good luck. Hope it works out. Be a great trip for sure.
Happy Riding

Vin
Retired US Army Combat Flight Medic
MFS Instructor since 2004

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Once you get into the European Union (EU), there will probably be few restrictions on your machines. I have read the attached web page, and it is very comprehensive on how to go about registering your GW, with the idea of selling it. You will need to assess, or have applied a value to the GW, and then they will charge you 15% tax. (If you do not have a current value, say insurance or a trade book, then they may apply a value that they think it is worth. So putting a US$1.00 on the GW will not work. But have a look at the web page:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Importing_a_motorcycle_to_Germany
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 pm

No comment on the shipping, buying or selling.

But I do wish you a great trip. I will say that we had a 3 week trip and it was cheaper to rent bikes there than to ship. As I recall a month was about the break even point for the shipping(both ways). Also, 3 weeks was just not enough time unless all you want to do it just go to different places. You could spend an easy week just riding passes in the Alps. If the wifes are along, don't forget the Black Forest and the Cuckoo Clocks.

And enjoy as much local food as you can! We had some great meals. Take plenty of photos so you can relive the trip in your old age and most of all Have a great time!
't
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Paulcf

Postby Paulcf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks for your note Harvey01.

Since the post was started, I have obtained a shipping quote of $2,400 USD to send a 20 foot container from the Port of Houston, Texas to Antwerp, Belgium. Approx. 2-4 weeks delivery time. Since there will be 4 bikes going, that's a mere $600/bike of course. In looking into rentals, they appear to be extremely expensive and for a month trip there, would be well over $5,000 USD plus insurance, etc.

I would like to have my Goldwing there vs. riding a sport BMW or such with out the 'creature comforts' and one important thing: a CB radio to talk with my 3 other riders.

The plan is to sell the bikes in Europe after the tour...I have put out emails asking about this. I'm sure it's complicated but I don't know until I ask.

I hope I hear from some Goldwing riders who have done this! So far not much yet...
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

redial

Postby redial » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:47 pm

The North American CB channels are not the same the world over. You will find that most of the rest of the world are now using the higher frequencies, and you may be forbidden to use the AM channels around 27Mhz. Something more to check out.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Paulcf

Postby Paulcf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks redial for this. But do we care? If we have 4 North American Goldwings with our own factory/oem CB radios in them to talk amongst ourselves, I'm assuming it will be fine? I don't want to talk with anyone else, just between the 4 of us.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:17 am

You can read about UK CB radio here, I suspect it will be pretty much the same throughout the EU - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_radio_i ... ed_Kingdom

With regard to accommodation, I would suggest a mixture of both budget hotels (which can offer really good value for money, especially if booked in advance) and camping. Camping in northern climes can be a miserable affair, especially if it is cold and wet. But the further south and East you go (in summer) the hotter and drier it tends to get. Camping also offers the opportunity of meeting others and feeling part of the country you are visiting. It is also much cheaper not to be reliant on restaurants/bars for all your meals, I visited France last November, and was surprised just how expensive things have become, especially eating out.

The best thing about a holiday like this is that the fun starts now, planning, pouring over maps, discussing itineraries etc. I am quite jealous.

Hope you have a great time.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

redial

Postby redial » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks redial for this. But do we care? If we have 4 North American Goldwings with our own factory/oem CB radios in them to talk amongst ourselves, I'm assuming it will be fine? I don't want to talk with anyone else, just between the 4 of us.

They may not want to register your GW if you have non-compliant equipment. Your North American CB equipment would not be compliant to the Europeans, and they may want you to remove them.

I would have thought, and this is what I use my UHF CB in Oz for, is to hear other users on the highways, and find out where difficulties may occur, such as floods, fires, ice, blockages, road accidents, that may impede my progress. But if you just want to talk amongst yourselves, then a cheap handheld could handle the job.

If you are intending to sell them, then the CB would be of no use to the Europeans.
Len in Kapunda

wpgfire
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2001 Valk Interstate

Postby wpgfire » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Here's a thread with lots of good info from Steve's Forum regarding exactly this subject:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-g ... urope.html

Note post #10 has an offer to buy Goldwings (airbag versions) brought over from the States. And Wexy posted a link in post #26 that might be of interest. Seems flying the bikes over is the most reliable way of making sure the bike(s) is/are there when you are. I've read on other threads that shipping them is iffy as to arrival dates. Some guys have crated their bikes and put them on a ship, only to find them stuck in transit when they get to Europe.

I am hoping to do a European tour in 2016 for 2-3 months. I have close friends/family in Germany that have offered two scenarios; 1. My wife and I just get on one of their bikes and head out. They've checked with their insurance providers and we'd be able to ride all over Europe on their insurance, or 2. get them to buy a bike on our behalf and then sell it when we leave. From what I've read of others' experiences a Goldwing is way over-sized for the roads over there, unless you plan to do U.S. Interstate-type roads, and what a shame that would be. Most recommend nothing bigger than a 750. And many say they've done even the most challenging roads on a 650 Silverwing and never felt under-powered, even 2 up.

Mel (Cousin Jack) & Sandy have been to Europe and done the bike tour thing recently and have lots of great advice and experience. You might want to check out these threads, and maybe even contact them about your adventure. They are seasoned travelers who know how to get around on the cheap. They investigated the same possibilities as you are considering. Check out what they decided was most economical and reasonable , given the terrain they traveled:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-g ... money.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-g ... italy.html

I look forward to hearing how your experience goes.

mudplug
Motorcycle: 1989 HONDA GOLDWING
ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Postby mudplug » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:11 am

The cheaper landing port would be to the UK and drop off point Southampton Docks county of Hampshire. as a rough guide it would take you around three days to get from one end of France (Dover - Cherbourg) to the south of France some good roads but also the main route's are all Toll charges (you pay to use them) unless you go back roads. Morocco. forget it unless you want your bikes trashed !! the drivers area nightmare and it really is a free for all I also found it an unsafe place unless you find a locked up garage or sit with the bikes all night !! you also don't really want to venture out after dark. If you go to Russia then be prepared to pay the Police a "fine" every 5 minutes even if you have not done anything and again you make sure the bikes are with you at all times or locked up somewhere. Having said that, on the whole the EU has some wonderful places to see and some fantastic roads to ride and you will find most people quite friendly and helpful. To sell the Bikes in the UK you will have to pay 'import' Taxes and depending on how old the bikes are you may have to pay VAT Tax as well (20% of value) I have bought a couple of bikes imported from America and it's a fairly easy process, just make sure you have all the documents and also a clearance Form from your Customs to say the bike is clear of debt and has not been stolen. Oh, and when you come don't forget you ride on the 'Left' side of the road in the UK and Ireland and the Right side everywhere else :-) Have fun and enjoy your trip.

dhubbca
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby dhubbca » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:14 am

I just did what you are doing in 2012. Here is a link to the blog I wrote during the trip. We were fortunate enough to have friends that lived in Spain and knew the roads to show us around. You will note we camped the majority of the time.
http://cawinger-europe.blogspot.com/

I sold the bike to a UK Honda dealer. He did take full advantage of the fact I was not in a position to negotiate very hard. I still received enough to cover the cost of the bike, shipping and insurance while there. The trailer I sold in the UK on ebay. It was a GREAT trip, and I hope you have the same level of success. I certainly was happy having the GL1800 and at no time even in the Alps did I consider it too much bike.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Just a comment on the roads---as noted above some roads are a lot skinnier than most roads in the US. This is especially true in old cities. When I was there I was riding a BMW1200RT and my wife was on a Honda Shadow and both bikes had saddlebags.

We had no problems and many times I did wish I was on my Wing which I missed. the RT was a great ride and I had wanted one for years but after almost 4000 miles in the UK and Europe, I was very glad to get back to my Wing. Point being, I doubt you find a road to narrow for the Wing.

The tightest place we rode was filtering in traffic to get into Silverstone for a MOTOGP race. And you will find filtering(lane splitting) is easy and expected especially in the UK.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

vinlugg
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800ABS/blue
1973 Kawasaki Mach111 500 Triple
1975 Kawasaki Mach1V 750 Triple
1978 Honda 550-4
1983 Honda V45 Sabre
2003 Kawasaki 800A
2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2012 Honda Goldwing

Postby vinlugg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 pm

dhubbca wrote:I just did what you are doing in 2012. Here is a link to the blog I wrote during the trip. We were fortunate enough to have friends that lived in Spain and knew the roads to show us around. You will note we camped the majority of the time.
http://cawinger-europe.blogspot.com/

I sold the bike to a UK Honda dealer. He did take full advantage of the fact I was not in a position to negotiate very hard. I still received enough to cover the cost of the bike, shipping and insurance while there. The trailer I sold in the UK on ebay. It was a GREAT trip, and I hope you have the same level of success. I certainly was happy having the GL1800 and at no time even in the Alps did I consider it too much bike.

I checked out your trip blog and found it very well put together and written. It looked like a great vacation in spite of your friends holding up the trip so much. thanks for the link. PS: your wife did a great job with the photography.

Happy Riding

Vin
Retired US Army Combat Flight Medic
MFS Instructor since 2004

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”