good place to stay

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
jherndon
Motorcycle: 1999 1500 goldwing SE

good place to stay

Postby jherndon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:52 pm

this is my first post as im new to this but i do like this forum i have had wigs for a long time my first was 79 1000 and i have worn out 5 wing and on my 6th now 1999 1500 SE i worked for honda in the mid 80s and whet to there schools but over the years i have spent time teaching myself about the newer bikes . i live in southeast GA on the coast in a little place called sellmans bluff my wife lisa and I love to fish camp and ride my name is jeff ( papa jeff to some. having 5 grand kids yelling that all the time the name kinda sticks ) well thas a little about me

here is where i like to stay on trips
i love my Georgia state parks (http://gastateparks.org/) there clean and well setup nice bath houses and lots of thing you can do .
some times in the summer there is a lot of kids ( kids dont bother me ) but if you go befor school gets out you my have the place to yourself or just the older people . camp sites have good pads and the price is good at $15 to $20 at a lot of parks and you can join the camping clubs and get free nights .

i also stay at US Forest Service campgrounds but some have no real FACILITIES but some do
one of my favorite is one in claton ga its hidden a but its a grate camp heres a link ( http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/conf/rec ... 8&actid=29 ) dont tell no one its a secret ;) it has nice bath houses and its spread out and if your over 62 ( i think its $10 life time ) or disabled ( free ) you can get a pass that you can save a lot of money with (http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/senior.shtml) if your need a pass go to this site click on your state and you can fined a pass (http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/rec-fee.shtml )

we plan on taking a trip or 2 this year after i build the landing gear for my wing ( my legs and feet are getting bad with my RA and this new hip is on the left and is not doing well )

i hope this info helps and if someone has some good spots id love to here of them my wife is a Photographer ( has had a lot published ) and she makes me take her with me LOL

so thanks for the chance to come on here and share

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: good place to stay

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Welcome jherndon!

I've been moto-camping off my bike for quite a number of years (40+) all over the US and Canada, sometimes staying out on the road for 3+ months at a stretch and wouldn't have it any other way.

Just this past year I built and started hauling a small cargo trailer for all my gear, where as I used to pack it all on the bike.
I decided to get the weight off of the bike and onto the extra set of axles.

Here is an excellent resource for finding all kinds of campgrounds - http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

See you on the road, or in a campground. - Dusty

jherndon
Motorcycle: 1999 1500 goldwing SE

Postby jherndon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:01 pm

thanks for the reply i too built a trailer i took a harbor fright 40x48 and cut it down replaced the tongue with a peace of 2in emt with a sleeve so it can twist with some springs to bring it back to center and put a car topper on it ill put some pics up soon im one of these people that over engineers thing LOL i have used it on some short trips .

i'd love to go off for a 3 or 4 week trip but it takes to much $$$ .

me and the wife are going to try and make a trip (for 1 or 2 days) tomorrow and go down to St. Augustine just to get me out the house my be if your down this way this spring we can meet up
i ride almost daily and this cold weather is killing me i put 10000 a year on a bike if not more .

you have a nice little set up
im still working on getting my camping set up together but im going to hit the road this spring i have a grandson that loves to ride with his papa ( he is 12 and has autism) i im going to take him on a good trip .
my wife is a photographer and im going to take her on a trip or 20 to do some shoots .
and im ready to go up to the Tail of the Dragon my wife has never been there and its been 10 years for me
last time i was there i scrubbed the boards off my 1200 id love to see how this 1500 makes the ride.
ok ill let you go sorry i ramble a little i don't get to talk to a lot of people that ride wings or that like to ride like i do
most around here are just weekend warriors ( you know the type that got a bike cuz its was cool ) and cant ride longer than 10 miles before there but hurts .
thanks for the link and if i hit on some good campgrounds ill post them mybe i can get the wife to put up some good pics of them
have a grate day and ride light .

rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Postby rufus15 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Back to your original post, Ga state parks are awesome and most are located in the northern part of the state were there's great riding, trails for hiking and folks are friendly.Being retired military with a disability I get a discount of 10% on the park pass and site fee's.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”