packing for trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
dodgeball
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

packing for trip

Postby dodgeball » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm

we are planning on a week trip for our anniversary this summer around August. going to drive down south {live in Wisconsin] with no real desination in mind. driving trip, "site seeing". first time traveling long distance an multi days on a Goldwing . we will be staying at hotels. looking for advise on packing. no trailer an no trunk rack.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: packing for trip

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Order a pair of these for your saddlebags and this for your trunk.

Each of you get one of the saddlebag liners for your clothes/toiletries and the trunk liner holds rain gear, (if you can't squish it into the saddlebags) bike cover, souvenirs etc.
They have handles built in, so they are easy to lug up to your hotel room.

Most beginners usually pack way too much clothes. :o
I can easily pack enough clothes for a month or more on the road while camping, in one of the saddlebag liners. The secret is nylon/synthetic outdoors clothing, as they wick moisture away from your body, are comfortable, wash/dry very quickly overnight and pack down tiny when rolled up tightly. ;)

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:25 am

Totally agree with Dusty.The wife always used to packway to many clothes that never got used.Like Dusty says you get one of those bags each that fit the saddlebags and you each fill one.That's it for clothes other than rainsuits and I usually put them on the trunkrack because they're pretty lite.If you are hoteling then most of them have laundry facilities that you can take advantage of every few days if need be.The other thing is that I don't wound about hauling a bunch of extra tools as there's a good chance you won't have what you're going to need anyway(if you need any at all).
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:59 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:The other thing is that I don't worry about hauling a bunch of extra tools as there's a good chance you won't have what you're going to need anyway(if you need any at all).

That is a point that I need to take into consideration. I have been riding for fifty years, and have always carried a tool kit. I have never needed it for my own bike, but have used it to work on other peoples bikes on the road. Maybe it is time to retire my tool kit. As far as packing, I also have those saddlebag and trunk inserts and that is all one might need. I tow a trailer though, so I usually have a suitcase each of clothes that do not get used, among other stuff. Simpler is better, maybe.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:16 pm

themainviking wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote:The other thing is that I don't worry about hauling a bunch of extra tools as there's a good chance you won't have what you're going to need anyway(if you need any at all).

That is a point that I need to take into consideration. I have been riding for fifty years, and have always carried a tool kit. I have never needed it for my own bike, but have used it to work on other peoples bikes on the road. Maybe it is time to retire my tool kit. As far as packing, I also have those saddlebag and trunk inserts and that is all one might need. I tow a trailer though, so I usually have a suitcase each of clothes that do not get used, among other stuff. Simpler is better, maybe.

Been doing trips for 25 years on every size of Wing built and have only needed to even get into the tools 3 times and everytime the factory tool kit had more than enough.1st time I blew an inline fuse attached to an aftermarket radio in my 84 Int.2nd time my alt went on my 89 1500 and the 3rd time I had to replace a set of front brake pads on the 89 also.On my 18 I carry a small Slime compressor because there's no onboard compressor.Other than that I only take a couple of allen sockets that will just make my life a little easier if I need to take the seat off.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

dodgeball
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby dodgeball » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:53 pm

we do have saddlebag liners and were thinking on the same line. each get a side for clothes an truck for riding gear an stuff . I do also have factory tool pouch an on board compressor with air hose.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 am

I urge to take a couple of test trips prior to the real trip. just a couple of overnight deals where you load up the bike and experience the night away from home, as well as two days of riding. This will give you a chance to determine what is needed---example most motels provide soap and shampoo so why carry it? And this will give you a chance to perhaps test different clothes to see how they wash out nightly and dry by morning.

Also try that rain suit before you travel---they are much harder to put on beside the road than in a room with no wind, and no falling rain.

A previous poster mentioned that motels have guest laundries---most don't so it is wise to check ahead before you arrive. Actually this is somewhat dependent on the quality of the motels you choose to stay in. Real cheapies don't have laundries nor do the top of the line as they expect you to send everything out to the laundry.

Also a few test trips will help you learn where to pack stuff. IT is always a good idea to have rain suits readily accessible. Again standing by the road pulling everything out of the saddlebag to get to the rain suit takes time and can be very frustrating. Stuff you might need should be on top and easily accessible.

Just remember that it will be hot down south and hydration will be a big thing. Do you have containers to make water easily accessible while riding? There is a lot of discussion about uncovering as much as possible to stay cool or covering up. I choose covering up to avoid the sunburn and frankly it gives me options for cooling that you don't have when uncovered. Even if all you have is a long sleeve tshirt, you can wet it and it will be cooler than bare skin till it dries. Plan for the heat. If you get to the beach--remember bathing suits.

Suntan lotion is necessary on any area exposed to the sun and even though I wear a full face helmet, I still use suntan lotion on my nose and face to prevent sunburn through the lens.

Some folks also will do their riding in the early mornings to avoid the heat.

I am obviously not talking about packing as my wife convinced me to get a trailer years ago and that makes it a lot easier to choose what to take or what to leave at home. Don't forget the credit cards, the cell phone, or your wife!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:16 pm

a cooling vest is great in the heat it lasts about 2-3 hours and cools down 20 degrees while riding.

http://www.shopironpony.com/TechNiche-I ... 6471&pos=0

I also had a water bottle with a tube that I could draw on while riding.

A good flashlight.

Enjoy your trip and post us of your adventures.--with pics!!!!!

theback80
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Postby theback80 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 pm

One thing my wife and I started doing is packing our old crappy cloths. After wearing them, just throw them away. No need wasting time with laundry. And then you have room for the new cloths you buy at the souvenir shops!

We both have ventilated jackets with waterproof liners. It takes up less room than a separate rain jacket. We also started packing sweatshirts even during the hot months. We took a trip a couple years ago in July and didn't pack warm weather gear. What a mistake. A couple 40 degree mornings in rain can chill you to the bone real fast and take all the fun out of the day.

For tools I pack a multi-tool, duct tape and electricians tape, and a good knife. Stuff like this comes in handy for a lot more than just motorcycle repairs.

mkpaulk
Motorcycle: 1991 goldWing aspencade

Postby mkpaulk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Rain suit, air compressor, map, bungees, zip ties, tire plugs, complete bearings for front and back ( and specially made tools to knock them out and reinstall, all tools necessary to take everything off the bike but the rear tire. Oil, coolant, brake fluid, phone charger. I'm sure I have left something out. I've had bearing go out before in NC mountains and they were a lifesaver! Get the kit from: allballsracing.com.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 pm

One thing I have started carrying with me is about 30' of parachute cord. Takes very little room, it's strong, very light weight and it's there when you suddenly need a clothesline. When bungee cords break or latches decide to quit working.
When your rainsuit zipper gives out at the worst possible time.
You'll remember you've got it when you really need it, and be glad you brought it.

I know, its an old thread but I wanted to add my two cents. :lol
Also if you're camping out and need a shower, but there's not one around, get some baby wipes. You will feel so much better. They work. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 am

I understand the "No plan" ride, but if you can plan a few stops , even if just we WILL stop at ___, ___, & ____ SOME TIME during the trip, you can also UPS some "throw away clothes" to a Motel 6 or where ever you plan to stay so they are waiting for you.

Buy all your clothes for the trip at a Salvation Army store, send some to each stop, toss or resonate "old" clothes as you get to each location.

Another option, is a second trunk for the bike, something like this :

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mpo/5344712084.html

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”