FOUR CORNERS RIDE....

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
vinlugg
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800ABS/blue
1973 Kawasaki Mach111 500 Triple
1975 Kawasaki Mach1V 750 Triple
1978 Honda 550-4
1983 Honda V45 Sabre
2003 Kawasaki 800A
2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2012 Honda Goldwing

FOUR CORNERS RIDE....

Postby vinlugg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

A friend and I want to ride the "four corners" ride someday in the next year. This is not the four corners area out west in Utah....it is more of the iron butt ride type trip....you start at one of the furthest corners of the country...ride diagonally across the country to the furthest point from where you start IE: Start in the furthest northeastern corner (point) in the US (Maine), leave that point and ride diagonally west to California's furthest southern point. Leave that point riding north to the furthest northwestern point and ride diagonally east to Key West, FL. Some people do it in a matter of days!! As opposed to weeks. Not sure how fast we want to do it but my wife already said.....no way...for her. She'll proably fly to Key West and ride up the east coast with me.....
Has anyone done this trip or something close to it? Would love some helpful tips.

thanks

Happy Riding

Vin
Retired US Army Combat Flight Medic
MFS Instructor since 2004

CCjon
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with Champion sidecar
Renovated and sold 1982 Goldwing

Re: FOUR CORNERS RIDE....

Postby CCjon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:00 pm

I believe the ride you outlined is the Four Corners EXTREME Ride. A short Four Corners Ride for you would be from the northeast corner in Maine to the Northwest corner in Washington, down to San Diego, then across to and ending in Key West. That ride must be completed within 20 days, if you want to be certified. Then you ride back home from Key West. Even shorter would be from Maine to Key West to San Diego then up to Washington.

Have not done the Four Corner ride yet, but have ridden from Key West to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska twice. Once on a BMW GS Adventure in thirteen days and again on a Ural sidecar rig in twenty-three days.

The key is to set up your bike to be comfortable for all day riding. Any irritant that has you fussing at 200 miles will be a major issue at 500 miles. Figure out where you are going to carry snacks and hydration that you can safely access while riding. Are you going to camp or motel it? Plan ahead where your night stops might be, but be flexible too. If riding with someone else for multiple days, are you both in agreement on the daily miles to be covered, daily starting times, eating standards? Some people want steak and potatoes every day and others are happy with granola and juice. Discuss these things before you go. Once rode with a couple who wanted to slowly enjoy the complimentary breakfast every morning at the motel, I wanted to be on the road by 5 am (before the breakfast bar opens), ride for a 100 miles then stop for breakfast with the local folks. Finally we agreed to just re-unite every evening in such and such town on down the road. If one party didn't show up, the other would back-track to look for them.

There are smart phone apps now that can be used to locate friends. That way you each know where the other is, no matter how far apart you are. Also helpful if one of you loses their phone during the trip, the other can find it.

I assume you have a GPS and a SPOT??? How about Medjet Assist Insurance? How about AAA membership? The AAA RV Plus coverage will get you a free tow for up to 100 miles. That will get you to a U-Haul rental location that if your bike develops issues or loses the final drive, like mine did once, you have a way to haul your bike home.

Start your ride with fresh tires and fluids. Carry spare parts and tools to make roadside repairs, i.e. patch or plug then inflate a tire.

The Four Corners RIde is still on my bucket list, have fun, enjoy, ride safe, smart and long.

CCjon

vinlugg
1978 Honda 550-4
1983 Honda V45 Sabre
2003 Kawasaki 800A
2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2012 Honda Goldwing

Postby vinlugg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:17 am

ccjon,

Thanks very much for the info. Anything else you may think of please don't hesitate to fill me in. What did you do for a soar butt??

vin
Happy Riding

Vin

milkman44
Motorcycle: looking for '95-99

Postby milkman44 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:05 am

Good luck on the 4 corners run, would love to do that before I get too old. For sore butt, maybe this will work.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/anti-m ... 004bddc49d

vinlugg
1978 Honda 550-4
1983 Honda V45 Sabre
2003 Kawasaki 800A
2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2012 Honda Goldwing

Postby vinlugg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:11 am

tried this in Iraq. Didn't do anything. I have a jell pad which helps but was hoping for other suggestions. Thanks for the reply.

vin
Happy Riding

Vin

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Vinlugg,

What do you do for a sore butt---get off the bike and walk the pain out.

As noted above there is more than one way to do the Four Corners. I would urge you to contact the Iron Butt Association(www.ironbutt.com) and the Southern California Motorcycle Assn.(SCMA) and their website is: http://sc-ma.com/rides/usa-four-corners-tour-site

The SCMA is the sponsor and certifying body for the Four Corners Ride not the Iron Butt Association. The SCMA will offer info on the two ways to do the ride and what you need for completion. The Iron Butt Assoc. can provide a lot of wisdom about doing long rides.

As stated above, I would suggest you start with the basic Four Corners Tour where you ride to one corner like Madawaska, Maine and then ride to the next one such as Blaine, WA and then head to San Ysidro, CA and then end up at Key West. You have 21 days to do this ride which is plenty and you don't have to do 1000 miles days to complete. Yes, some folks will do it in just a few days but that may not be the most fun way nor since you will cross the USA twice the way that allows you to sightsee along the way. I think I averaged between 500 and 600 miles a day and saw a lot of stuff, traveled a lot of back roads and had a great time. I spent most of a day in Oregon visiting an old friend and another two days in Texas and still beat the time limit.

The only time I did get a motel reservation was as I approached Key West which was the end of my Tour. And that was because I heard the area was full of folks. I really enjoyed going down part of the Pacific Coast Highway.

As noted above, you do have to have a riding buddy that agrees with you on how far to go daily, is in condition to maintain this level of riding, agrees with you on food choices, as well as the cost of motels. I was alone so this was not a problem.

I did tow my trailer and had clothes for warm weather and cold weather and needed both but I did the ride in October. You also have to be willing to ride in the rain, I remember one totally wet day of riding in the rain, as finally as I stopped for the night, it cleared up as I was walking to supper. The sky was gorgeous that night. As I went to bed with stuff drying out in the room I was excited for the next day and sunshine. Sorry, it was pouring rain that morning and rained till about lunch time as I finally got out from under the storms.

Plan for a little time in Madawaska, Maine to go to the small park they have built to honor those who have done the ride. Just up the road a few miles is also the site of the beginning/end of US RT 1. Great Photo op and then in Key West you will come to the beginning/end of the other end of RT 1.

I recommend you start with this ride to see if this sort of thing is enjoyable and then maybe move on to the more difficult diagonal ride and some other Iron Butt rides.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

CCjon
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with Champion sidecar
Renovated and sold 1982 Goldwing

Postby CCjon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 pm

vinlugg wrote:ccjon,
What did you do for a soar butt??

vin

Have tried most everything, found the best to be an Alaskan Butt Pad from the Alaska Leather company. Works in hot and cold weather, allows air to circulate under you. Gel pads don't allow air to circulate. However, even a butt pad or air pad will not fix a bad seat. Russell Day-Long seats are great at spreading the load so to speak. Still use a Butt Pad on top of an aftermarket seat. At times a used aftermarket seat will show up on eBay.

Also you want the handlebars set at the right position for you. The way you check is place your bike on the center stand, sit on it, close you eyes. Raise your hands to where they feel relaxed and comfortable, open your eyes and you will see how far you have to adjust the handlebars, if any.

Have you checked the bend in your legs when riding. Too tight of a bend and you will cramp up when riding all day. If you cannot scoot back further, can you lower the pegs? Or add highway pegs so you can stretch out and give your legs something else to rest on.

On a ride like you are planning, have back up plans in case something fails. For example, if your cruise control malfunctions, what is your backup? Back up for your GPS? Have you planned for oil changes and tires mid-ride? Many areas you will find there is no cell phone service. Do you have several ways to access wifi? MickyD's has clean restrooms and free wifi. Don't have to eat there, but stop to check in with the family, or make nightly reservations.

Most people pack way too much for long trips. Riding jacket and riding pants might be worn every day for the whole trip, just changing underwear, t-shirt and sox. Have a small zipper pouch for personal stuff, for a quick overnight nap. Stay in motels where you can park next to your room, just take in a few necessary items then cover the bike for the night. A light cover keeps both roaming eyes and dew off the bike. I use a camo rain poncho from the Army Surplus store to cover my rig. With Texas plates and a camo cover, people assume I have a AR-15 in the room with me. They might be right...... or not. They'll never know.

Just to be sure you read it and remember it, I'll revisit the absolute necessity for hydration while you ride. A friend rode to Oregon last summer, only drinking water when he stopped for gas. Says he gulped down a large bottle at every stop. He ended up in a hospital with severe dehydration. Your sweat dries faster when riding and you don't realize how much water you are losing because your clothes are not wet. It does not have to be hot to dehydrate. The western states are dry, many time with cool temps, but dry. Have a system where you can sip water while you ride. Does not have to be ice water, though that is nice when crossing Nevada.

Will try to answer your questions by sharing my personal experiences.

CCjon

Enjoy your ride.

vinlugg
1978 Honda 550-4
1983 Honda V45 Sabre
2003 Kawasaki 800A
2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2012 Honda Goldwing

Postby vinlugg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:00 pm

ccjon,

Thanks for the info. Anything you think of don't hesitate to send me a note/post on it.

vin
Happy Riding

Vin

sgnlman
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Postby sgnlman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:52 am

My wife and I did this ride five years ago on my Valkyrie Tourer, it was 10,700 miles, 31 states and four Canadian provinces in 32 days. BTW, Blaine, Washington is not the northwest corner. there is a part of the US that extends below the parallel, Point Roberts, but you have to access it from a ride into British Columbia. We hit both Blaine and Point Roberts just in case. We did not make hotel reservations more than two days out. I pulled my trailer and we packed for all four seasons, which we encountered. We took the entire month of June off to do it. We had heat, snow, rain, wind, dust storms, just to name a few. I would not trade it for anything. We are planning to go back and hit the states we missed to have all the lower 48 in our accomplishments, although those will be on the new Wing.

If you need more info, feel free to email me at sgnlm8n@aol.com

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”