Colorado to Northern California, down the coast

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Dilbertfan
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing trike

Colorado to Northern California, down the coast

Postby Dilbertfan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 am

Hi all. We are planning a 2 week trip in early September from northern Colorado to Crescent City California, then down the coast through the Redwood National Forest. Continuing south to San Francisco. From there go inland to Yosemite, King's Canyon, and Sequoia national parks. Then to Anaheim for Disney of course. Ten back home to Colorado. Am interested in route suggestions, things to see, etc. I especially eant to take the road that drives through the giant redwoods. Thanks!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Colorado to Northern California, down the coast

Postby Mag » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 pm

The giant redwoods are down the hwy 101, and there are places to stop off to see....it is a really nice ride. Also, since you are starting your coastal trip around Crescent City, that whole drive south will be really nice.

Yosemite is a trip for sure, and it is usually pretty crowded, will have to check what the weather is like so you do not drive through during a fire there like the last couple of years. It is one of those places that is just awe inspiring.

Dilbertfan
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing trike

Postby Dilbertfan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks Mag. I'v always wanted to drive through the tunnel cut through a tree like I've seen on tv.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Yup, it is really amazing standing next to sucha tall tree, and how large around, etc., etc. Gotta see the "Paul Bunyan" and "Blue" replicas and all the other touristy stuff. My lil brother went to Humbolt State (north of the redwoods, south of Crescent City) so I was able to drive through there 3 times a year for 4 years. Really nice!

BigDee
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Postby BigDee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 am

I might suggest you start your neck-craning just about 10 miles to the north of Crescent City. The Redwoods are HUGE along the road and it is sure to take your breath away. I have a friend that has a vacation home we can use occasionally about 25 miles north of there (just across the Oregon border) and it is a trip I love to take. Look for the Jedidiah Smith Forest. Sure not to disappoint!

He who throws dirt loses ground!

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”