My big trip plan for the year!

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
rescue1042
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing interstate
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

My big trip plan for the year!

Postby rescue1042 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 am

So I have decided for my big trip planed for the year I think iam going to go to the Crater of the Diamonds in Arkansas.. I have taken many short trips like couple 400 hundred miles but never one where it was 1000 miles one way. Has anyone ever been there and actual went to the park and mined for diamonds? was it fun? and second any tips for longer trips? I will be pulling a trailer which I have done lots of times so am use to that part just not the length of the trip , ya ya I know Rookies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: lol

2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!
But when i do it's on a Goldwing!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: My big trip plan for the year!

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:16 pm

One tip I could pass on is - as long as you are going to Arkansas anyway, either on the way, or when headed back home, skip east into Tennessee, and ride some of those roads they have such as the Devils Triangle, and the Tail of the Dragon. While there, if you have the time, there is also the Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, Diamondback and the Blueridge Parkway. You can ride for a good week and never touch the same road. And that is just the ones I named. Tennessee has lots more great rides..... and I am not from Tennessee. I just love it there, :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Get a sheep skin for your seat. Take mini rest/stretch breaks every 2-3 hrs
Heres a link to some useful info from the iron butt association 8-)

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:27 am

Are you planning on getting there in one haul, or split it up into 2 days? Camping, or staying in motels?

Let's face it ..... not the most scenic part of the nation you'll be riding through so look for a route that will give you the most scenery for your buck

rescue1042
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

Postby rescue1042 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:24 am

yes Dusty we are planning 2 days down and 2 days in that area and 2 days back so ya was thinking about more scenic route back then just interstate, and funny you say that Road Rogue I was just taking to my gal about figuring out my seat option cause yes I get iron butt after about 100 miles and was wondering if the sheep skin would be better and more comfortable
2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Rescue 1042,

Glad I seen your post. I am from Arkansas and can put you on several good roads to ride on in Arkansas. No its not Colorado and its not eastern Tennessee but to skip that part of the country I think would be a mistake. As for the Creator of Diamonds, there has been several good diamonds found there lately but usually they are far and few. Unless you just want to experience digging in the dirt, I would use more of my time riding. I'm not sure when you would be going to Arkansas to ride but the springtime is full of color, the summer will give you places on the side of the road or in daytime only parks where you can swim in the cold rivers/creeks. In the fall if you catch it at the right time the fall colors are beautiful, and in the winter you get a whole new look at the mountains when there are no leaves to cover them up. A waste of time to go there.......I think not! I currently live in Louisiana and my friends always wondered why I made so many trips to Arkansas to ride.....well after I got them to go once, that is the only place they want to go ride now.

Get online and request a Arkansas The Natural State Tour Guide and especially the Motorcycle Riding Guide of the Ozarks. I think both can be requested at http://www.MortorcycleArkansas.com. The riders guide will take you on several trips around the state. IF you can get a room because it stays pretty much booked up make sure you at least go to Mount Magazine. The lodge is atop a mountain and all rooms and cabins overlook the valley. Beautiful place and you may even get to watch hang gliders float across the valley from your room.

Our favorite place to ride is from Hot Springs, which is a nice place to go, up hwy 7 towards Harrison, Ark. Several places are scenic and if you like the twisties, you can drag a peg or two also. Off of hwy 7 on the east and west side is hwy 123. 123 west of hwy 7 has more scenery with a few tight turns and creeks to swim or wade around in. On the east side of 7 on 123 you get the twisties and more beautiful scenery. On 123 east as we call it there is a section called the Arkansas Dragons Tail and the Stair Case. Some of these turns will say 10 mph and when you go around them you will understand why. Alot of switch backs and 180 degree turns in both directions while changing elevations. Many sports bike riders along with touring bikes ride here. Met some folks from North Dakota there just last summer, so we have folks from all over the US come there to ride. Another road that is a blast to ride is Push Mountain Road which is hwy 341 between Mountain Home and Mountain View. Some sharper turns along with some longer, higher speed, sweeping, peg draggin curves. Off of these roads I can point you into even more fine roads that lead all over the state but these are the most popular in that area. On hwy 7, make sure you eat at the Cliff House. Right on the edge of the mountain overlooking the valley. The roads here are in real good shape...smooth black asphalt and white rock asphalt in other areas. They take good care of their roads. You can also go to youtube and type in Push Mountain Rd or Hwy 341 and Arkansas Dragons Tail and see videos of the roads.

I am currently planning a trip up your way and was about to make a post about roads and the area around the border heading to Winnipeg, Canada. Maybe you can help me out in that area.?

Feel free to pm me and if you want we can talk on the phone and look at a map together and I will point you out to some more roads that you may be interested in.

Have a good day,
Flyn Tiger

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Rescue 1042, Forgot to tell you that you could come in around Harrison, Ark and I could map out a trip for you around Push Mountain, the main part of Hwy 7, and both sides of Hwy 123. Round trip would be roughly 300/325 miles, a one day ride and that is including stopping to look, eating and potty breaks. Your second day could be more west over towards Fayetteville of which you could ride Hwy 23 known as The Pig Trail.

Good luck in your planning,
Flyn Tiger

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Rescue 1042,

Glad I seen your post. I am from Arkansas and can put you on several good roads to ride on in Arkansas. No its not Colorado and its not eastern Tennessee but to skip that part of the country I think would be a mistake. As for the Creator of Diamonds, there has been several good diamonds found there lately but usually they are far and few. Unless you just want to experience digging in the dirt, I would use more of my time riding. I'm not sure when you would be going to Arkansas to ride but the springtime is full of color, the summer will give you places on the side of the road or in daytime only parks where you can swim in the cold rivers/creeks. In the fall if you catch it at the right time the fall colors are beautiful, and in the winter you get a whole new look at the mountains when there are no leaves to cover them up. A waste of time to go there.......I think not! I currently live in Louisiana and my friends always wondered why I made so many trips to Arkansas to ride.....well after I got them to go once, that is the only place they want to go ride now.

Get online and request a Arkansas The Natural State Tour Guide and especially the Motorcycle Riding Guide of the Ozarks. I think both can be requested at http://www.MortorcycleArkansas.com. The riders guide will take you on several trips around the state. IF you can get a room because it stays pretty much booked up make sure you at least go to Mount Magazine. The lodge is atop a mountain and all rooms and cabins overlook the valley. Beautiful place and you may even get to watch hang gliders float across the valley from your room.

Our favorite place to ride is from Hot Springs, which is a nice place to go, up hwy 7 towards Harrison, Ark. Several places are scenic and if you like the twisties, you can drag a peg or two also. Off of hwy 7 on the east and west side is hwy 123. 123 west of hwy 7 has more scenery with a few tight turns and creeks to swim or wade around in. On the east side of 7 on 123 you get the twisties and more beautiful scenery. On 123 east as we call it there is a section called the Arkansas Dragons Tail and the Stair Case. Some of these turns will say 10 mph and when you go around them you will understand why. Alot of switch backs and 180 degree turns in both directions while changing elevations. Many sports bike riders along with touring bikes ride here. Met some folks from North Dakota there just last summer, so we have folks from all over the US come there to ride. Another road that is a blast to ride is Push Mountain Road which is hwy 341 between Mountain Home and Mountain View. Some sharper turns along with some longer, higher speed, sweeping, peg draggin curves. Off of these roads I can point you into even more fine roads that lead all over the state but these are the most popular in that area. On hwy 7, make sure you eat at the Cliff House. Right on the edge of the mountain overlooking the valley. The roads here are in real good shape...smooth black asphalt and white rock asphalt in other areas. They take good care of their roads. You can also go to youtube and type in Push Mountain Rd or Hwy 341 and Arkansas Dragons Tail and see videos of the roads.

I am currently planning a trip up your way and was about to make a post about roads and the area around the border heading to Winnipeg, Canada. Maybe you can help me out in that area.?

Feel free to pm me and if you want we can talk on the phone and look at a map together and I will point you out to some more roads that you may be interested in.

Have a good day,
Flyn Tiger

rescue1042
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

Postby rescue1042 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:02 am

oh boy ya gave me lots of info to look at! iam pretty new to Goldwing really haven't left my area except to Duluth and northshore drive and gooseberry falls which I love! so this trip out of Minnesota is going to be new experience for me!! I am not one for planning things to much I love to just go and see were it leads but this time I think a little planning needs to be done cause well a trip like that could end up a fortune and would like to do more little camping trips this summer too lol thank you guys so much for the info
2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:02 am

Crater of diamonds, you cant get there from here.. boy are you going to have some fun. North east and north central Arkansas has more green dot roads than you can shake a stick at. I would pick up us 71 out of Kansas City go south to Bentonville ar and then head east to Eureka Springs then south on 23 all the way down to Mena Ar via 71 south. All the la boys are right on the money about the roads. Crater of diamonds does now have camping space and all the Arkansas state parks have camping. These state parks are from really small to really big and they are all nice. I would think about staying in Mena or Y-City and take your trips from there. You can leave Mena and go right to highway 1 into Oklahoma and go over talimena drive then slip down off the mountain pick up 59 south back to 71 to the motel. You will be busy ,the wow factor will set in . Word of advice ,be back to where you are staying by dark. It gets really pitch black down there and the critters get out and the cool air sets in. Always leave with a full tank and get gas when you think you don't need it. Remember you cant see it all and you will come back for sure. You can spend the day at Hot Springs ,national park in the middle of town, and highway 7 all the way back to Mo and toward the house. . If you want more info PM me.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 am

Oh yeah, I have had a sheepskin under me for 20 some odd years, tried the beads , air cushion, always back to the sheepskin , real sheepskin.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

Redbug is also correct about the area from Bentonville to Mena. Those roads are good and I do ride there often but prefer the area from Hot Spring to Harrison simply because I love the twisties and the secenry. Either way you will love it. Oh yeah, get a sheepskin cover, your jimmy will thank you for it.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:45 am

Rescue 1042,

The first suggestion I would make is to realize that the biggest difference between a short weekend trip and a longer trip is that you just get to spend more days riding! You have done a bunch of short trips so you know now have some idea how many miles you enjoy riding in a day so now you just get to put more of those days on the bike. I can spend all day riding and be very happy, but my wife likes to sightsee so I have to plan stops. Most times I just see something interesting and stop. Flexibility is vital to having fun.

One thing I have tried to do over the years is get home day early if on a long trip. this gives my wife and I a day to change gears and get ready to go to work. So if we have to be back for work on Monday Morning, I want to be home by noon Sunday if not on Saturday evening. this does now always happen but it does make the adjustment back to work easier.

Sleep and rest are critical so plan to stop in time each evening to unwind and get a good nights rest. I find that if I stick to my normal routine of get up time things seem to work better than if I try to alter things and get up earlier. (Get that first 100 miles before 0600 and the stopping for breakfast just does not work for me). FIND what works for you!

Also diet, be wary of what you eat, diarrhea is not fun on a bike. Try new things in small quantities to see if your body likes them as much as you like the taste. Drinking habits are very important also, water is the best drink with things like Gatorade coming up next. Needless to say, alcoholic beverages are not good for us when riding nor do they help with hydration. And as the temps and altitude increase so must the hydration.

Planning and packing---lay out what you want to pack and see if it all fits. I usually start with a list then lay it out and see what is needed. honestly after 7 days I need a laundry(it is a lot cheaper if you tow a trailer to carry your own laundry detergent and softner and bounce than to buy it) We picked up some small containers of laundry detergent at a drugstore years ago and still use the small containers. A Bounce sheet in you helmet nightly will cut down on helmet odor.

One last thought about long trips, be ready to deal with the unexpected. And be ready to laugh at yourself for the predicament you are now in! Humor helps! There will be times when you might want to sit down and cry, or get mad and throw things, but if you work through the problem, things will get better---and laugh. A few years ago my wife dropped her bike at an intersection in the rain in Ohio. As she did this her bike hit mine and took me down to the road. As soon as I knew she was okay-bruised, but okay I got us both to the side of the road and laughed at the situation. She started laughing at me and then we dealt with the problem, got the bikes up, pulled the broken stuff off her bike, got a motel room and headed to the motel. That evening we had a long walk to the restaurant, a couple of great steaks served by a former Miss Ohio, and the next morning I got some stuff and was able to put her bike together enough to continue our trip to Indiana and after a few days there, our trip back home to VA.

Well you asked for some thoughts so there you go!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

rescue1042
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

Postby rescue1042 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 am

thank you guys for all the input Iam printing this page out for the road numbers and putting a trip together by roads we love to see the sights just don't want to do straight free way driving so thank you to all for the advise! also just found out from a friend here that he had a friend that has real sheep skins for sale about 25 dollars I think so am checking it out :)
2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:48 am

rescue1042 wrote:I am not one for planning things to much

I ain't either. I once left on my bike and did not get back home for thirteen months. I rode through every state but three (Hawaii, Maryland and Delaware), all the Provinces except Newfoundland, and two territories. It began on the day I mustered out of the army, and ended when I had my head back together. My wife was very understanding, as she knew how bat crazy I had become in those garden spots around the world that I had been spending my time in. I visited a whole lot of bars and drank with a whole lot of bikers, and got all that crap out. Lots of the bikers were vets as well, so we had common ground for conversation. Everyone who has lived in a stressful job should try this as it works like a charm. I rode 156,000 miles, camped out a lot, had folks take me home some, stayed in motels a little bit (not much), washed up in streams so cold my teeth would itch, stood on mountains watching the sunset, and the sunrise. I had seen lots of the world, but this North America of ours has some of the best sights on earth. Heck, I even met up with some cowboys that were alright folks. The midwest and southwest have always been a bit of a weakness for me, and Ouray Colorado to Durango has some of the finest riding roads there are. I made some fine memories.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rescue1042
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

Postby rescue1042 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Dang!!! I so wish I could afford to just pack up and leave for a season like that I truly would love it
2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!

Arkf6brider
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing1800

Postby Arkf6brider » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I've been to the park. The diamond mine is kinda neat. Don't go after a rain it will be very muddy. If you are going to camp in the state park better make reservations, it fills up in the summer. You'll find several good rides in Arkansas

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 am

Its been years since I've been to The Crater of Diamonds. Last time I was there, there were several campgrounds in the area and the privately owned ones were cheaper.
Besides diamonds, there are other semi-precious stones that can be found.
You've already been told about Arkansas roads. I'll tell you we liked digging for diamonds. Just knowing there was a chance of finding one that would pay for our whole trip, well...we did enjoy our time there.
And no, we didn't find one but another lady found one while we were there. The park rangers we're friendly and in the gift shop building, they'll show you what you're digging for and the other semi-precious stones. You can only use hand held tools.
Someone already said it'll be muddy if it rains. It will be, but diamonds have been found on top of the ground after a rain. Also, when I was there years ago, they had a hose and a place to rinse off your shoes and clothing.
Take some rope (I use parachute cord) to use as a clothesline, if needed, at your campsite.
Anyhow, we enjoyed the time we spent there with our other riding friends. But like I said at first, that was about...geez, nearly 30 years ago! Oh,...more than that. I'm getting old! :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

deslaujp
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby deslaujp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:56 am

In summer 2017.Vancouver Island to Fort McMurray Alberta. Looking for someone to ride along.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”