Questions and tips on north central states

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Questions and tips on north central states

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Planning a trip for late July into the north central states. I have 7 days and will be leaving from north central Louisiana. Currently plan on heading to Fayetteville, Ark., up towards Joplin, Missouri and as I go through the edge of Kansas I was going to go to Lebanon, Kansas which is the geographical center of the US. From there, I plan on heading towards Winnipeg, Canada and would love to stay a night in Winnipeg but time will not allow me to do so. First question, has anyone been there and is there a stopping place on the border to where I can at least take a pic of Canada from the road or will the border patrol be stopping me? Any info on this area would be great. Second question, I plan on staying in Grand Foks, North Dakota then heading towards Duluth or Superior, Wisconsin via hwy 2. Next stop will be around St Ignace, MI also reached via hwy 2. How long will it take to ride these areas? Looking for speed limits and possible areas of interest along the way. From St Ignace I will travel the length of Michigan to Ohio then through Indiana and on back home. Last point of interest for me will be the Indianapolis Speedway. Anything else along that way I might want to see?

So far my route has me traveling some 3700 miles so a couple of days I'll be putting 600 miles or so a day behind me. As I said any info about roads and such is greatly appreciated.

Flyn Tiger
Attachments

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Questions and tips on north central states

Postby themainviking » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:56 pm

If all you want is a picture of Canada, you could follow Highway 2 to Highway 71 in Northern Minnesota, up to between Pelland and International Falls, along the border you could snap away to your hearts content. Then follow Highway 53 back south to Duluth area, and pick up Highway 2 which will take you right down to the northwest part of Lake Michigan. International Falls should also have roads that you could turn around on if you wish to go right up to the border. This detour would add about 160 miles to your days ride.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Hummmm, something to consider. Mainly wanted to see Canada and get a pic of a national sign with Canada written on it. I have pics of all state signs as I enter the state on my bike. If time would allow I would love to ride in Canada. Got to consider that I have a CCP and would have to leave my pistol on the States side. I understand they have lockers you can rent for such things.....is that true? Just started planning this trip about a week ago and havent looked all this up yet.

rescue1042
Motorcycle: 1982 honda goldwing interstate
1998 honda 1500 SE
2002 honda Gl1800

Postby rescue1042 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 am

ok so I too am planning a trip from grand forks area across the iron range to the north shore. the north shore or Duluth area is a great and nice trip beautiful area
I do have a website that has trips up north that people have been on and routes they took check it out there is some good info in there
Enjoy the time but don't leave too early its only +9 above zero today lol http://motorcycleroads.com this is the website with the maps
2002 GL1800
I dont always ride!
But when i do it's on a Goldwing!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 am

Flyn Tiger wrote:Hummmm, Got to consider that I have a CCP and would have to leave my pistol on the States side. I understand they have lockers you can rent for such things.....is that true?

When I was a diplomat, living in the U.S., I could leave my handgun with the U.S. Border Patrol when coming back to Canada for short periods of time. This, at that time, was a privilege extended only to peace officers and diplomats. I never saw any lockers for this, and they always put my gun (in a locked case) in a safe. Since 9/11, I am sure things have changed, but how much, I do not know. When I needed to return to Canada, each time, I would call ahead to the border crossing I would use, and speak with whoever was in charge there, to make the arrangements. Perhaps that would be the best way to get whatever information you need on this.

It has been suggested, by other U.S. Residents, such as our Admin, that you take your gun to a gunshop for a "cleaning" and pick it up again when you return from Canada. This would mean you would have to use the same border crossing going and returning, but could solve the problem of what to do with the gun. I have a sort of a locker on the U.S. side where I keep my gun, while living in Canada, which requires that I always use the same border crossing to enter the U.S. to pick the gun up. Then I have to return and leave it, and cross again at the same place to get home. It is a bit inconvenient, but I put up with it.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”