Sturgis SD

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Sturgis SD

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 pm

"New" wing, wife who wants to see the world (some of it from the passenger seat of a bike) and vacation time to use. Scheduling a trip to Sturgis for the Rally. First time to that part of the country. Going to trailer the bike out since the wife is not quite up to that long of a road trip... just yet. But planning on seeing a lot of the area on the wing once we get there. We will be staying in Hill City, taking in one day in Sturgis and then several days to tour the countryside. Woo-hoo!

So, I have to ask, does anyone have any experience they want to share for that area?

Steve

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Sturgis SD

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 am

By trailering your bike out there, you'll fit right in with the usual HD crowd! :lol:

You'll need at least 3 - 4 days (besides your day set aside for Sturgis) to see what all is in the area, maybe more with all the crowd there at that time.
Here's a good resource to give you an idea of what is in the area.
Do not miss riding the Needles and Iron Mountain Road Scenic Byways, which are part of the Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway!

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks DB. Yeah, fitting in with the HD crowd is not at the top of my list but in order to get the wife on board with the trip this is the way. No way she would ride that far on the bike. Now me on the other hand... Oh yeah! Sign me up.

Appreciate the info. BTW, is your "good resource" supposed to be a link? If so, it's not working. We will certainly have that many days in addition for taking in the sites.

Steve

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:38 am

I found the best time to be in Sturgis is either just before the rally or after. During the rally there are so many bikes there it will be like riding in a parade. The riding in the area is just too good for that.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:49 am

OnPapasWing wrote:
Appreciate the info. BTW, is your "good resource" supposed to be a link? If so, it's not working. We will certainly have that many days in addition for taking in the sites.

Steve

That link works for me when I just tried it, Steve. :?:

Regardless, try this one - http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 am

Dusty Boots wrote:
OnPapasWing wrote:

Steve

That link works for me when I just tried it, Steve. :?:

Regardless, try this one - http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/

Hmmm, weird. But thanks for the new link.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 am

cbx4evr wrote:I found the best time to be in Sturgis is either just before the rally or after. During the rally there are so many bikes there it will be like riding in a parade. The riding in the area is just too good for that.

Unfortunately we already booked the trip and we did want to "experience" the event just once to say we did it. May regret it but hope not. I hear what you're saying though. If we were going only for the scenery we certainly would have booked it differently.

Steve

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:44 am

You say you want to experience main drag Sturgis, so, my suggestion is to park your bike first place you find empty, and do the drag on foot. If you do not want to look at Harleys, you can do it pretty quickly, but there will be thousands and thousands of Harleys. Almost all the vendors sell Harley related parts and accessories and clothing. You will probably not find anything with Goldwing on it, or at least I never saw anything in the thirteen times I experienced Sturgis. I never saw even one instance of discourteous behavior though, so take it all in and enjoy it. The very last time I was there was 1990, so the whole thing may have changed by now, although I doubt it. 1990 had 530,000 attendees. I was there the entire 10 days, and may actually have memories of two or three, :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm

"I was there the entire 10 days, and may actually have memories of two or three, :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21161#ixzz2xCHgk9L3"
Funny stuff. I suspect that there will be mainly HD focus but hey, a bike is a bike. I can get along with just about anyone. And besides, I've seen some pretty sweet Harley's.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Dustyboots, that 4th pic down in your first post is crazy. How narrow does that passage go? Can you ride through there? Can't wait to see it all.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:58 pm

You can ride through all 6 tunnels no problem.
Great riding area in them thar Hills! 8-)

You are in for a real treat if you've never been there before.
Make sure to stop in and check out Wall Drug, (across from Badlands NP) as well.
You can't miss their bill boards along I-90. Has to be one every two miles. :lol:

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 pm

OnPapasWing wrote:Dustyboots, that 4th pic down in your first post is crazy. How narrow does that passage go? Can you ride through there? Can't wait to see it all.

The buses drive through there.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Beautiful scenery, You will not be disappointed! the main street will be a great place to see all the different bikes and people.
Riding the Needles and seeing Mt. Rushmore etc. is awesome! We were there in 2010 and I would love to go back.
We stayed in Rapid City and there wasn’t as much congestion, if you don’t mind driving a few miles to get to Sturgis, it’s only about ½ hour ride and we didn’t have any trouble getting a campground to stay at. Enjoy the trip!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:07 am

tandem54 wrote:Beautiful scenery, You will not be disappointed! the main street will be a great place to see all the different bikes and people.
Riding the Needles and seeing Mt. Rushmore etc. is awesome! We were there in 2010 and I would love to go back.
We stayed in Rapid City and there wasn’t as much congestion, if you don’t mind driving a few miles to get to Sturgis, it’s only about ½ hour ride and we didn’t have any trouble getting a campground to stay at. Enjoy the trip!!

This is really good advice if you had intended to stay in or near Sturgis, because you WILL NOT find anyplace IN Sturgis. People book two years in advance.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 am

Actually booked a room in Hill City. A bit far from Sturgis but since we were only doing a day there and wanted to spend the remainder of the time touring the countryside we discovered that this was actually a great place to hang the hat at night. Close to Mt. Rushmore and other sites.

eberlebike4
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing
1976 Gl 1000 Black
1976 Gl1000 Yellow
1987 XL600R
2004 Fatboy HD

Postby eberlebike4 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 am

Badland's National Park during a Full Moon is not to be missed.It will Amaze you:):)And the Restaurant in the Park is very reasonable,and very,exceptional......Enjoy:)

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 am

Excellent advice eberlebike4. thanks.

tech1
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort
GL1800

Postby tech1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:26 am

Nice trip
I'm headed there next month BUT no trailer Ive been there twice. Custer State park and Delvils Tower Do not miss them both I wont next month. have a safe ride.
Tech1

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:23 am

Thanks!

So do you think it's silly to trailer the bike out? I wouldn't have an ounce of reservation riding out but there's no way the wife will go that far.

One problem we're running in to is getting a trailer that will accommodate the wing. It's a long bike and most M/C trailers are to short.

tech1
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort
GL1800

Postby tech1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh no im not agianst trailing your bike . I do suggest an enclosed one. because not only to protect your bike from the elements but also not let all see whats there.
Im going with three friends and no wives. Sorta Wild Hogs? :-)
Yea Someday I promised myself Im going to ride the California coast Highway retirement ride?
Tech1

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am

The latest discussion with the SO is that I ride the wing to SD and she drives the car. She just doesn't think she can do that long ride there and back on the bike and be comfortable. I'm OK with that... for the most part. As you can imagine I enjoy sharing the moments with the wife but we will have plenty of time for that in SD. The thought of trailering the bike cross country just doesn't sit well with me. But I will point out that this was her idea, not mine.

Robert8234
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing

Postby Robert8234 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I hope you enjoy sturgis, I have been talking the talk too, when I do decide it will be my first time, friends say it's the best and most beautiful ride out there.

dheiser4
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby dheiser4 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 pm

I live in Box Elder, just on the east side of Rapid City. I pretty much ignore Sturgis this time of year unless I have to go there for work. If you are into twisty roads there are many places here to ride. I put about 1400 miles on my wing a couple weeks ago when a friend came to town for the week.

The Badlands is a great ride, especially in the evening. Just watch out wherever you go morning and evening for wildlife. Iron Mountain road, Highway 16 from Custer to Keystone has lots of turns, pigtail bridges and tunnels. All well suited to a Goldwing. If you come from Custer you will see Mt Rushmore through all the tunnels. Just ride to your capability and comfort. Custer State Park is also very nice. Again keep an eye out for wildlife. Buffalo and motorcycles don't mix well. All the times I've been through there, only had one bull standing in the road and one charged across the road in the middle of our group. We left him plenty of room. Also be careful anywhere in the Black Hills. You never know what might be around the next corner, rocks, animals or a tourist standing in the middle of the road to take a picture.

Just about anywhere you go is beautiful. After all, it is God's country.

jenagle
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100
1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby jenagle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:26 am

Just got back from a Sioux Falls, Sturgis, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone trip of 2,780 miles with the wife. Sorry this is so late, but didn't see it 'til now.

A couple of suggestions to add to the ones already mentioned:
1. Look into staying in a bed & Breakfast facility. They are typically much less expensive than motels ($125/night v. $300+).
2. Get and use sunscreen spray before venturing out for the day. You can get SPF70 spray at Dollar General.
3. Don't worry about Harley v. Honda attitude. In the last eight years (07 - 14) we've never had a problem.
4. On a long trip, maybe try to break it down into 350 mile segments. Sioux Falls, SD, has spectacular scenery.
5. You will want to book your reservation for next year (2015) asap, since that is the 75th anniversary of the event, and they are expecting 1.5 million (yes million) riders. For this one, you might have to book before or after the official ralley. We had to change our reservations to just before, since the B&B that we normally stay in is completely booked for the whole week.
6. If you are going into Sturgis, you might consider doing it on Wednesday when everyone goes to Hewlett, WY, for "no panties Wednesday". Still a lot of people left, 'though.

Good luck.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:45 pm

janagle, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately due to some family related medical issues we had to postpone the trip. Hopefully just until next year. Your suggestions are welcome and duly noted. I'll bet that next year is CRAZY! Hopefully in a good way. We will certainly look to book rooms early. We were intending to stay in Hill City and little did we know that this would have put us in a great location to ride to some of the sights we wanted to take in. We will be keeping that in mind for next year and will certainly look into a B&B.
We just stayed at one over the weekend in Muskegon Michigan. Really needed to get away from the rat race. This was well managed and it was an old (1877) Victorian Style home. Very well decorated and extremely pleasant hosts. I would recommend this place if anyone ventures to that neighborhood.
Thanks again.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”