Month long trip!

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
eberlebike4
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing
1976 Gl 1000 Black
1976 Gl1000 Yellow
1987 XL600R
2004 Fatboy HD

Month long trip!

Postby eberlebike4 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:23 am

Plan on leaving Mesa Verde,Co.@ the end of June and not returning till the end of July.:)The only must stop's are Michigan,Ohio,and Texas,to visit with Fam.and Friends.Think we'll head North first,then east,south and back west.I know it's the HOT time of the year but my job kinda restricts my time off:(My wife and i have been avid Motorcyclist's for the past 35+ yrs.and are looking forward to this trip.Let me know if any of you have any ideas or recommendations.We'll be pulling a trailer and hope to get lot's of camping in:):)Hope to see you down the road.....Happy Trail's......

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Month long trip!

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:49 am

Sounds like it will be an awesome trip.Wife and I have been doing trips since the late 80's,but usually only for 2 weeks.A month would be great.As far as heat I think even in July(we usually go the last 2 weeks of July)you'll be fine untill you get farther south as in Tenn.We made it down into Georgia last year and out of 2 weeks we only had 2 days that were hot enough not to wear at least a sweatshirt.Other years it's really hot right from here in Ontario.You just never know.If at all possible try and keep in contact with the forum on your trip and let us know where you are going to be the next day or 2 and maybe some members local to the area can do a ride along or point you to things to see.We usually hotel it and take a tablet so it's easier to keep in contact.Don't know how that would pan out when you're camping.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

eberlebike4
1976 Gl 1000 Black
1976 Gl1000 Yellow
1987 XL600R
2004 Fatboy HD

Postby eberlebike4 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:58 am

Hey Chris,we won't be camping every day:)But will have Electronic support of various gadgets:):)And we will post Pics and travel reports on here ;) Hope to see you and many others from this site......Happy Travels.......

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:55 am

There's a very good chance that we'll be somewhere in the eastern states the last 2 weeks of July.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

I have camped on tour for a month many times and as long as 3 months 6 days/22,000 mi one year.
Yes, it can get hot across the midwest and northern states in June/July, so make sure you keep hydrated.
I use a 2 litre hydration bladder, so I can sip refreshing liquids while riding.

I also ride in full mesh armoured riding gear (much cooler than leather/full textile/shorts and T) with a SS T-shirt/tank top and a pair of either gym shorts, or the shorts from convertible hiking pants underneath to keep cool and protected, yet I also pack a heated jacket liner for those cool/cold high mountain passes and unusually cool/cold days that intensely inclement weather can produce in the mountains. It can also be worn around camp on chilly evenings/mornings.

I've recently built/started towing a HF cargo trailer to haul more 'creature comforts' and take all the extra weight off of the bike, onto that extra axle

Here's a great resource for finding campgrounds around the country. - http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

Have a safe, fun filled trip!

Dusty

eberlebike4
1976 Gl 1000 Black
1976 Gl1000 Yellow
1987 XL600R
2004 Fatboy HD

Postby eberlebike4 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:45 am

Thanks for info Dusty.Looks like you have your very own "Hilton"out in the woods :D I have a "Quick-Camp"that was manufactured in the mid 90's,love it......Hope to see you down the road,be safe....

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”